Pre-Game Talk: Oilers vs. Avs. Saturday February 16th.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
FTR Iginla only came out flying after Rhett made those comments, because up to that point...Warrener was 100% correct on his assessment of Iggy.

I'm aware of this. Several comments here and elsewhere have suggested that Iggy is done, which is ridiculous. He was the best player out on the ice against Dallas.

AS mentioned Iggy is a slow starter. Nothing atypical here, In a lockout, compressed year, with games every other night this is hard on an older player that hasn't played in 10mths. I think people grossly underestimate this impact from sitting on the couch.

With any amount training it can be hard to simulate the demands that hockey puts on conditioning.

Theres nothing like hockey to entirely shock anybodies conditioning program. Moreso for an older player like Iggy, like Smyth.

Its easy for all of to be critical. Its not so easy getting it done down on the ice at an advanced age after a long spell away from the game.

Iggy certainly didn't require a turncoat ex teammate calling out his former go to player. The comments suggest self importance, poor taste and judgement, and someone with a big yap who is bored with not much else to do.

Red Deer Rebel

Apr 7, 2008
Red Deer
I'm aware of this. Several comments here and elsewhere have suggested that Iggy is done, which is ridiculous. He was the best player out on the ice against Dallas.

AS mentioned Iggy is a slow starter. Nothing atypical here, In a lockout, compressed year, with games every other night this is hard on an older player that hasn't played in 10mths. I think people grossly underestimate this impact from sitting on the couch.

With any amount training it can be hard to simulate the demands that hockey puts on conditioning.

Theres nothing like hockey to entirely shock anybodies conditioning program. Moreso for an older player like Iggy, like Smyth.

Its easy for all of to be critical. Its not so easy getting it done down on the ice at an advanced age after a long spell away from the game.

So what you're saying is that it is pure coincidence that Iggy came out with some fire in his belly one game after Warrener called him out?

All of this was to be expected, and Iggy would have dropped the gloves and found all of this energy anyway?

Alrighty, then.

Iggy certainly didn't require a turncoat ex teammate calling out his former go to player. The comments suggest self importance, poor taste and judgement, and someone with a big yap who is bored with not much else to do.

Warrener is a journalist now, and was a pretty intense player back in the day. It's his job to comment on hockey, not give sugarcoated, corporate talking points.

Didn't you lambast Stauffer for doing this just the other day?

Brutal post.

Oiltankjob Fail

Feb 10, 2013
BDLXtX2CQAAbzz7.jpg

Ohh, Nail. ;)

On a side note, Nail and Vande Velde could almost pass as brothers with their hair like that.
:amazed: at size of Nails thighs and knees.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
Anyone watch the Day to Day feature on Tsn? The Justin Schultz one.

Whitney with his interview. I really like(d) the guy, but his attitude is starting to bug me a bit.

"It's tough to play knowing that if you make a mistake, you're out of the line up." - Whitney.

It's like the dude thinks ONE bad game is why he was benched in the first place.

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton
This game is going to be big... if we don't want to fall too far out of the playoff race we need to make this the start of a streak.

If there was ever a game to break out, this is it.

ToeMcDrag83

5-14-6-1
Aug 25, 2010
Oil Country

Whitney with his interview. I really like(d) the guy, but his attitude is starting to bug me a bit.

"It's tough to play knowing that if you make a mistake, you're out of the line up." - Whitney.

It's like the dude thinks ONE bad game is why he was benched in the first place.

Whitney seriously said that?

Never seen something so unprofessional. What an idiot. It's pretty much asking to be on your way out of town.

Are we sure this wasn't one of those sarcastic features like Eberle's first goal thing?

Perhaps I should watch the clip before posting this... too late.

EDIT: Think I just got trolled, no evidence of the comment in that clip.

EDIT 2: I realize now the comment was about Whitney, not Whitney commenting on Schultz. Just trolled myselff. I'm tired leave me alone.

Last edited:

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
Whitney seriously said that?

Never seen something so unprofessional. What an idiot. It's pretty much asking to be on your way out of town.

Are we sure this wasn't one of those sarcastic features like Eberle's first goal thing?

Perhaps I should watch the clip before posting this... too late.

EDIT: Think I just got trolled, no evidence of the comment in that clip.

No, it's there. I think I just misheard it. Heard that one part of this clip emphasized over the point he was trying to make. My bad.

ToeMcDrag83

5-14-6-1
Aug 25, 2010
Oil Country
No, it's there. I think I just misheard it. Heard that one part of this clip emphasized over the point he was trying to make. My bad.

No worries I completely misread your comment. I read it as Whitney saying about Schultz "I really like the guy, but his attitude is starting to bug me." Clearly idiotic on my part haha.

On topic, yeah, Whitney's attitude is a problem. I still feel like he doesn't get why he was cut which is a huge problem. It basically means he doesn't think there's a problem to fix, so we can expect the same player on Saturday. (4-2 Avs =P)

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
It's possible that Whitney is playing his best... it's just that his body isn't allowing him to make the necessarily plays and moves anymore. In his head he could still be thinking he's doing his level best to play as well as he can but he just can't do any better and can't keep up at an NHL level.

I'm not making excuses for Whitney... but it could be a case of the will is there but it's just not possible for him to do any better and the guy just can't realize he isn't good enough now.

Either way though he's not good enough and has to sit.

alanschu

Aug 12, 2005
Edmonton, Alberta

Or he realizes he's on a short leash right now and has to play a mistake free hockey game to stay in the lineup.

Or would you disagree with the idea that he has to play better than he has been?

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
Edmonton
Or he realizes he's on a short leash right now and has to play a mistake free hockey game to stay in the lineup.

Or would you disagree with the idea that he has to play better than he has been?

Seems like he's complaining about the coaching "one mistake" is a little dramatic IMO.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
Seems like he's complaining about the coaching "one mistake" is a little dramatic IMO.

This is how I initially heard it as well, but after hearing it again it sounds like he's saying what he shouldn't feel like.

Such as, he won't let the benching kill his confidence, so he won't go out there and play like he can't make a mistake and get benched. Instead, he's going to play the way he always does.

So basically he's going to suck, and not care about it.:sarcasm:

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
I assume Whitney sees the much publicized Jagr goal as the reason for his pine warming to date.

As many others have said, Jagr has schooled many players over his long and storied career and that 1 blunder by Whitney shouldn't be the coup de gras for his Oiler career.

Truth is, it's all the other blunders in prior games plus that one that has lead to his premium viewing position for the past few games.

Certainly will be interesting to see his level of play when he comes back and and see if he can force Krueger to keep him in the lineup, which is what players should be trying to do... give a coach no choice but to keep them in the lineup instead of giving them an easy decision to remove them... which is what Smyth and Whitney have been doing.

alanschu

Aug 12, 2005
Edmonton, Alberta

Could be.

It's very important, however, to make sure one's opinion of a person doesn't take too much influence and read too much into what was said. Otherwise you're just going to frustrate yourself and let yourself get angry.

Whitney as struggled, and I would agree that him being scratched probably helped ice the team. And yeah, he could be jaded and use that as a pot shot at the coach (remember, chances of the coach/organization is not going to also hear the comments is slim) and play up the victim, or it could just be him realizing that that's a mental thing he's going to have to overcome.

In Grade 11 basketball I was mortified of making a mistake and getting benched (huge confidence issues that season). By the time Grade 12 came around, I was no longer afraid of making a mistake, and played much better for it too.

Oiltankjob Fail

Feb 10, 2013
You're new here so I assume that you missed most of my OKC GDT's when the lockout was on? Based on that I'm all GDT'd out!

Don't think I did maybe when I get the hang of this place I will try one . My Girlfriend is great at photoshop maybe I will summon her help.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Don't think I did maybe when I get the hang of this place I will try one . My Girlfriend is great at photoshop maybe I will summon her help.

Sounds like a plan.

Oh.. um.. sorry, Señor Overlord. I shall keep quiet in meekness (in all honesty, I shall get on a high horse and do a GDT eventually... Just.... not yet...)

That's Señor Overlord BBO to you! :rant: :naughty: I'm pretty tired tonight or I'd take it on tonight, luckily it's a late start tomorrow so someone should take the ball and run with it in the morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad