Rumor: Oilers trying to trade dead weight?

Mido

Dec 10, 2018
tenor.gif

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
Sorry, as much as I would love to get rid of Okposo, Lucic is as much or more abysmal.

Fair enough. Keep in mind Lucic still (from time to time) uses his physical edge in games. He has actually looked decent under Hitch. Obviously not 6m decent but imo he has easily been a passable 3rd liner.

This season
Okposo: 56 games with 10 goals and 22 points total. Ranks 8th on the Sabres in scoring. Plays 13:57 a night with 2:08 on the PP.
Lucic: 56 games with 5 goals and 14 points total. Ranks 9th (tied) on the Oilers in scoring. Plays 13:29 a night with 1:38 on the PP.

Pretty similar players. Okposo brings slightly more offence and Lucic brings a lot more physicality with 196 (4th league wide) total hits vs 68 for Okposo.

Both pretty trash players, but I think Lucic takes a lot more shit in the media because he plays for a crazy Canadian market in Edmonton. Okposo isnt much better if at all.

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
Top six meaning a winger who's a lock for 50pts. Why didnt Chia acquired Hoffman when Ottawa was selling cheap on him is beyond me.
Dont disagree, but it was assumed at the time that he might be a locker room cancer which seems like something Edmonton needs to avoid.

The leafs went through the problem of trying to move contracts and guys having NMC or NTCs who people said had gotten complacent (Maskoka 5). You need guys who just love being in the NHL and who have overcome some sort of real or manufactured obstacles to get there. Those guys fight 100% for every puck no matter what because they always have something to prove.
Thinking Theo Felury, Brendan Galafher, Brad Marchand types. Super skilled guys who were told they were too small and their skills wouldn't work at the next level and they just outwork and outhit guys. A more skilled less physical guy is Mitch Marner, where everyone said his junior stats and loves would never work in the NHL.

I thought for sure they would go after Dylan Strome. Recent top puck who has all the skill in the world but who's issues were mostly between the ears/ need a fast skilled winger like Yamamotto to succeed.

Saying that, I'd move Kassian for a pick if I can. He is great when hes on, but you almost just need the consistency.
I.e. you dont need a guy who can be a 4 to a 8 ever game. You just need a guy who is always a 6.5 so that you know what your gonna get.

The games where Edmontons guys all play to their potential they look like world beaters, but too often only like 2 of the 6 or 7 guys on the team who yo yo are at the top any given night.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Edmonton shouldn't be adding assets to move the dead weight. Most of these players are off the books next off season or have limited NMC's like Russel and Sekera. The goal this offseason should be to clear up some cap space and make a few small, smart trades and signings. Hire a coach that fits the style of team that they want top build.

Upcoming RFA's
Reider- Let him walk
JP- Bridge contract, no more then 1.2 mil
Khaira- Bridge contract, no more then 1.2 mil
Rattie- Let him walk

Trade every upcoming UFA for whatever you can get. The list is Talbot, Chaisson, Petrovic and Gravel.

Next off season Brodziak, Kassian, Spooner and Manning are off the books. Try and trade them in the off season.

Getting rid of Reider, Rattie, Talbot, Chaisson, Petroviv, Gravel, Brodziak, Kassian, Spooner and Manning will take at maximum (depending on the return) 18.8 million off the cap.

Sekera and Russel have limited NMC's this off season which can save another 9.5 million off the cap depending on the return.

Any cap saving deals would have to be done in the offseason. Rumor is that the cap is going up another 4-5 million this off season. If everything is done right we could have anywhere between 20 to 32 million to fill numerous roster holes. I fully expect Benson, Marody, Bouchard, Jones, Bear and the 2019 1st (if it's a forward) to be in next years lineup.

I could see something like this;

xxx-Mcdavid-Draisaitl
xxx-RNH-xxx
Benson-2019 1st-JP
Khaira-Marody-xxx
Lucic

Klefbom-Larsson
Nurse-Bouchard
Jones-Benning
Bear

OR

Klefbom-Larsson
Nurse-Sekera
Jones-Bouchard
Bear, Benning

Koskinen
xxx

Ducksauce

Oct 30, 2010
Edmonton shouldn't be adding assets to move the dead weight. Most of these players are off the books next off season or have limited NMC's like Russel and Sekera. The goal this offseason should be to clear up some cap space and make a few small, smart trades and signings. Hire a coach that fits the style of team that they want top build.

Upcoming RFA's
Reider- Let him walk
Rattie- Let him walk

Trade every upcoming UFA for whatever you can get. The list is Talbot, Chaisson, Petrovic and Gravel.

Next off season Brodziak, Kassian, Spooner and Manning are off the books. Try and trade them in the off season.

Getting rid of Reider, Rattie, Talbot, Chaisson, Petroviv, Gravel, Brodziak, Kassian, Spooner and Manning will take at maximum (depending on the return) 18.8 million off the cap.

Sekera and Russel have limited NMC's this off season which can save another 9.5 million off the cap depending on the return.

Any cap saving deals would have to be done in the offseason. Rumor is that the cap is going up another 4-5 million this off season. If everything is done right we could have anywhere between 20 to 32 million to fill numerous roster holes. I fully expect Benson, Marody, Bouchard, Jones, Bear and the 2019 1st (if it's a forward) to be in next years lineup.

xxx-Mcdavid-Draisaitl
xxx-RNH-xxx
Benson-2019 1st-JP
Khaira-Marody-xxx
Lucic

Klefbom-Larsson
Nurse-Bouchard
Jones-Benning
Bear

OR

Klefbom-Larsson
Nurse-Sekera
Jones-Bouchard
Bear, Benning

Koskinen
xxx
Even this is pretty grim though. The top six is essentially the same as it is this year.

Two rookies and JP on the third line seems like a recipe for them to get eaten alive and that fourth line doesn't look like it will push the needle in any way.

D looks similar to this year, just guys playing over and above where they should be playing. I know you are assuming they add some UFA's, but it's hard to imagine a significant player wanting to sign there given he current state of the franchise.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Even this is pretty grim though. The top six is essentially the same as it is this year.

Two rookies and JP on the third line seems like a recipe for them to get eaten alive and that fourth line doesn't look like it will push the needle in any way.

D looks similar to this year, just guys playing over and above where they should be playing. I know you are assuming they add some UFA's, but it's hard to imagine a significant player wanting to sign there given he current state of the franchise.

This is a best case scenario for next season at it's still pretty grim. It will take the new GM about 2 offseasons to get us back on track.

Reactions: Ducksauce

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Although I am a little surprised they can't find any takers for Petrovic, I thought he'd be a relatively easy sell. Pending UFA, not horrible, RD, just traded for a 3rd rounder...you'd at least think you can move him.
See the thing is, Petrovic is genuinely terrible. He was traded for a 3rd rounder but he's not worth even close to that. He's replacement level if that and his true value is "future considerations" or a 7th rounder. If they're trying to get a 3rd for him, it'd have to be from one of the notoriously terrible GMs who can't trade. Too bad they can't trade with Chiarelli themselves.

And this isn't some revisionist history, people who watched some Panthers games would know just how bad he is. Even though I recall he got vastly overrated in the trade threads.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
This is a best case scenario for next season at it's still pretty grim. It will take the new GM about 2 offseasons to get us back on track.

In 2.5 years....
- RNH needs a new contract
- Larsson needs a new contract
- Sekera is 35 looking for a new contract.
- Klefbom is 2 years away from UFA
- Lucic still has 2 more years left

Problem is drafting. Way too many bust picks and not enough 2nd round + hits. Oilers need to stock pile picks and let the bad contracts expire.

Edgy

Nov 30, 2009
Speaking as a Habs fan; I think some of us would be willing to take Lucic for three reasons...we think maybe that Julien knows how to best use him, we’d have to get something good to take him and we have the cap space.

He has huge negative value though, unless it’s a good return I’d have zero interest.
That's the ONLY reason we'd take him and it better be something really good, like their unprotected first and Bouchard and even then I'd still be conflicted about it. That contract is a gargantuan anchor.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
Screw a relli really did us up the rear end just before he was booted. Can't believe the amount of garbage contracts the Oilers have to somehow ship out.

The Red Line

Oct 11, 2010
How management let this guy do so much damage is just wow.

Is Nicholson the right man to steer this ship and find a competent gm.

If I was him, I would see if Yzerman would be interested to be hired as a consultant to find the next gm.
They can't **** up this one up.
And
They are not making the playoffs so strip it down grab as many picks as they can .
Give the next gm some amunition to build it right.
When they find out where they are drafting see what the best offer is for that pick .
That is one way they can upgrade there roster quick
Have a gm in place before the draft.

If they end up with the 1st overall pick.
Would you trade it for one of the RFAs this yr?
No chance you guys get Yzerman in any capacity whatsoever.

He stepped down in Tampa (you know, the best team in the league, with the best looking future.) in order to be able to spend more time with his family who lives in Detroit.

If he goes to any team, it will be Detroit, 100%, no question about it, purely due to location and personal history. No offense but there is absolutely no chance in any world or reality that he goes to Edmonton.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018

Upcoming RFA's
Reider- Let him walk
Rattie- Let him walk

xxx-Mcdavid-Draisaitl
xxx-RNH-xxx
Benson-2019 1st-JP
Khaira-Marody-xxx
Lucic

Klefbom-Larsson
Nurse-Bouchard
Jones-Benning
Bear

OR

Klefbom-Larsson
Nurse-Sekera
Jones-Bouchard
Bear, Benning

Koskinen
xxx

Are you implying that you believe you can trade Sekera and Ruusel in the offseason for assets??? lol

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Absolutely. The Isles are succeeding with Ladd and Okposo. The Flames are succeeding with Neal and Smith. Lucic’s deal blows but it’s not so poor that a team can’t succeed in spite of it.

Except you need to succeed with Lucic, Sekera, Russell, Spooner etc....

Its the cumulative impact that is and will continue to hamper the Oilers.

XXIV97

Jun 2, 2016
Except you need to succeed with Lucic, Sekera, Russell, Spooner etc....

Its the cumulative impact that is and will continue to hamper the Oilers.
Russell has actually been very reliable the past two seasons. He isn't anything special but is a solid addition to any team (only around 200 - 500 K overpaid). I think the Oilers can easily trade him.

Sekera was a solid #3 before his injury. However, it depends on his play after his injury.

Spooner is a bad player but only has one season left. The Oilers can just bite the bullet on this one for one more season.

We are stuck with Lucic forever.

Edgy

Nov 30, 2009
That's just nuts.
No, giving Lucic that contract was nuts.

It's buyout proof, NMC, 4 years left on it with a 6mil cap hit and a modified NTC that only kicks in 2021 when he'll be more washed up than he is right now. So if you want to get rid of that contract, get ready to pay through the nose.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
What is your opinion of Benning?

Good question.

I think he’s an above average bottom pairing defenceman. He’s almost always performed well in that role. Where he gets into trouble is when he’s asked to do too much or play above that. He gets overwhelmed in his own zone and loses his confidence offensively.

People say he’s bad defensively, but to me it’s more that when he makes mistakes they’re the earth shattering variety. He doesn’t make many, though.

Average out his career totals, and he’s roughly a 20-24 point defenceman with decent to good advanced stats over with limited PP time and he’s never been worse than +5 on some pretty bad clubs. Heck he’s +8 right now.

I think some of the issue is at some point he started getting trotted out on the PK and he is ABYSMAL at it. He should be the PP2 guy, he’s got a hard, accurate shot that seems to make it through a lot. He’s much, much, much better than Petrovic.

Reactions: TatTar

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Bennings awful, no team should be looking at this guy other than as a #7 emergency. The pity is that despite being awful he is still better than the two guys the oilers went and got recently and gave up assets for.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad