GDT: Oilers Trollolololol the League and Win the Right to Draft McDavid 3.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
Butt hurt post frontpage sportsnet:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/nhl-should-have-thrown-the-maple-leafs-a-mcbone/

Why NHL Owed Leafs McDavid - JEFF BLAIR

This much is clear: Gary Bettman and Bill Daley are the most honest folks in professional sports. Never doubt them again after Saturday’s draft lottery, which will result in a generational player – Connor McDavid – wasting the early stages of his career in Edmonton.

Of all the cities or franchises that didn’t deserve McDavid, it’s Edmonton. Who knew that just one season of tanking wasn’t enough? Who knew you had to tank four times? Or just hire Kevin Lowe – the General Patton of NHL tanking.

Not to be parochial, here – truth is, my fan sentiments lie more with the Winnipeg Jets and Chicago Blackhawks than with the Toronto Maple Leafs – but let’s be honest: McDavid would have been of maximum marketing value and would have had the most immediate positive impact in Toronto. (Sorry, Buffalo.) There is a softening in this marketplace that I’m not certain will withstand a long rebuild without a transformative figure like McDavid. You won’t have to hold a tag day for Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment, Ltd. but you will be able to buy tickets, and as much as I like Morgan Rielly, I’m not certain he pushes product in the manner of a McDavid. Rielly’s a nice player; McDavid is a kilowatt-emitting machine whose first choice (c’mon, you know it as much as I do) was to play with the Maple Leafs.

Folks around the rest of the country won’t like hearing this, but the Maple Leafs have bankrolled the NHL for a long time. They were printing money while other Canadian franchises were on financial life-support, or wringing their hands over weak Canadian currency. It would have been nice to get a McBone thrown in their direction, you know? And you’d think that Bettman’s background in the NBA would have taught him a thing or two about the strategic value of, um, “directing†generational players. Remember how Patrick Ewing ended up with the New York Knicks in 1985 (the frozen or creased envelope conspiracy)? Remember how the Cleveland Cavaliers went from fourth to first in the 2011 draft lottery (hmm … don’t the Leafs have the fourth pick?) after losing LeBron James? Or how about 2008, when Chicago native Derrick Rose ended up with the Bulls when that team, in dire need of a star after the post-Michael Jordan years, cashed in on a 1.5 per cent pre-lottery chance of getting the first pick overall? Coincidence? Yeah, right. Professional sports is about entertainment and marketing and money and TV and such. Fairness sometimes sucks. Connor McDavid should be a Maple Leaf, and everyone knows it – including McDavid himself.

Wow Toronto media have gone crazy.....claiming they should have fixed the draft...the hell with your fairness

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
Everyone cries about integrity, and honour, then flat out says the lottery should be rigged.

Take it all in boys, let their tears sustain us.

Hugo McStiglitz

#BlameTheWater
Dec 27, 2010

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/nhl-should-have-thrown-the-maple-leafs-a-mcbone/

This much is clear: Gary Bettman and Bill Daley are the most honest folks in professional sports. Never doubt them again after Saturday’s draft lottery, which will result in a generational player – Connor McDavid – wasting the early stages of his career in Edmonton.

Of all the cities or franchises that didn’t deserve McDavid, it’s Edmonton. Who knew that just one season of tanking wasn’t enough? Who knew you had to tank four times? Or just hire Kevin Lowe – the General Patton of NHL tanking.

Not to be parochial, here – truth is, my fan sentiments lie more with the Winnipeg Jets and Chicago Blackhawks than with the Toronto Maple Leafs – but let’s be honest: McDavid would have been of maximum marketing value and would have had the most immediate positive impact in Toronto. (Sorry, Buffalo.) There is a softening in this marketplace that I’m not certain will withstand a long rebuild without a transformative figure like McDavid. You won’t have to hold a tag day for Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment, Ltd. but you will be able to buy tickets, and as much as I like Morgan Rielly, I’m not certain he pushes product in the manner of a McDavid. Rielly’s a nice player; McDavid is a kilowatt-emitting machine whose first choice (c’mon, you know it as much as I do) was to play with the Maple Leafs.

Folks around the rest of the country won’t like hearing this, but the Maple Leafs have bankrolled the NHL for a long time. They were printing money while other Canadian franchises were on financial life-support, or wringing their hands over weak Canadian currency. It would have been nice to get a McBone thrown in their direction, you know? And you’d think that Bettman’s background in the NBA would have taught him a thing or two about the strategic value of, um, “directing†generational players. Remember how Patrick Ewing ended up with the New York Knicks in 1985 (the frozen or creased envelope conspiracy)? Remember how the Cleveland Cavaliers went from fourth to first in the 2011 draft lottery (hmm … don’t the Leafs have the fourth pick?) after losing LeBron James? Or how about 2008, when Chicago native Derrick Rose ended up with the Bulls when that team, in dire need of a star after the post-Michael Jordan years, cashed in on a 1.5 per cent pre-lottery chance of getting the first pick overall? Coincidence? Yeah, right. Professional sports is about entertainment and marketing and money and TV and such. Fairness sometimes sucks. Connor McDavid should be a Maple Leaf, and everyone knows it – including McDavid himself.

Wow Toronto media have gone crazy.....claiming they should have fixed the draft...the hell with your fairness
Dear god, if this is what Leafs nation is like when they lose, I pray that they never win anything in my lifetime.
I've never seen a fanbase/media contingent that were so certain about 9.5% (lol) odds.

azashi

May 31, 2006
When it comes to Arizona, I don't feel bad for them too much.

For months I've been looking at the self-satisfied "Don't worry guys, Uncle Gary will take care of us" posts on their side of the fence, almost complacent that the NHL would continue to coddle them, just like when the league was paying millions to Gretzky when he was still involved with Phoenix.

To speak nothing of how blatantly they tried to gut their team in a failed attempt to "catch" Buffalo. And it didn't work!

Having a hard time feeling sympathy here.

I do feel for them anyway. With the loss of McDavid, their franchise is probably dead, unless somehow Matthews ends up there. Don't mistake me - I'm not saying there should be a franchise in Phoenix (or Vegas, or Carolina, or Florida), but I do feel for the fans who lost something they really cared about.

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
The entitlement is strong in Toronto.

Katz should put diapers, and tissues on sale at Rexalls in Ontario.

Does he have stores in Ontario? I don't even know. If not, fly in pallets of them, aid relief style.

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
I do feel for them anyway. With the loss of McDavid, their franchise is probably dead, unless somehow Matthews ends up there. Don't mistake me - I'm not saying there should be a franchise in Phoenix (or Vegas, or Carolina, or Florida), but I do feel for the fans who lost something they really cared about.

Who cares if their franchise is dead. Id way rather have this relocated to Quebec City where they actually care about hockey.

Went to a game there once and more Jets jerseys than Arizona ones.

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
Who cares if their franchise is dead. Id way rather have this relocated to Quebec City where they actually care about hockey.

Went to a game there once and more Jets jerseys than Arizona ones.

Once Seattle/Vegas are confirmed as an expansion franchise, Arizona will move to Quebec.

gqmixmaster

Jun 1, 2006
The entitlement is strong in Toronto.

Katz should put diapers, and tissues on sale at Rexalls in Ontario.

Does he have stores in Ontario? I don't even know. If not, fly in pallets of them, aid relief style.

in 2017 Kleenex should come out with a 50 years of tryin TML edition tissue set in 1 ply.

Echodek

Feb 6, 2011
i don't know guys, this negativity is starting to wear on me. I'm trying to stay strong, lord knows the salty tears of Toronto fans is enough to sustain that.......but is anyone concerned that's this constant barrage of negativity for the Oilers will affect this kids thinking?

Jul 16, 2013
Edmonton
i don't know guys, this negativity is starting to wear on me. I'm trying to stay strong, lord knows the salty tears of Toronto fans is enough to sustain that.......but is anyone concerned that's this constant barrage of negativity for the Oilers will affect this kids thinking?

The amount of hate they spew is directly proportional to how good McDavid really is. You'll feel better at the start of the season :yo:

Not a chance it'll affect the kid, he's a pro already.

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
Edmonton
at the Calgary game last night:

SA4UydF.jpg

Hugo McStiglitz

#BlameTheWater
Dec 27, 2010

I can't see how. It's really just a reflection of how good he is and how desired he is across the league. I'm sure after dealing with all this hype for the last 3 years, he's learned to tune things out and focus on what matters.

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
in 2017 Kleenex should come out with a 50 years of tryin TML edition tissue set in 1 ply.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Not at all. They can moan all they want, they can talk about him pulling a Lindros all they want, but Connor is a strong willed guy, with a good head on his shoulders.

You don't need to feel anything other than joy, my friend. :yo:

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond

Folks around the rest of the country won’t like hearing this, but the Maple Leafs have bankrolled the NHL for a long time. They were printing money while other Canadian franchises were on financial life-support, or wringing their hands over weak Canadian currency. It would have been nice to get a McBone thrown in their direction, you know? And you’d think that Bettman’s background in the NBA would have taught him a thing or two about the strategic value of, um, “directing” generational players. Remember how Patrick Ewing ended up with the New York Knicks in 1985 (the frozen or creased envelope conspiracy)? Remember how the Cleveland Cavaliers went from fourth to first in the 2011 draft lottery (hmm … don’t the Leafs have the fourth pick?) after losing LeBron James? Or how about 2008, when Chicago native Derrick Rose ended up with the Bulls when that team, in dire need of a star after the post-Michael Jordan years, cashed in on a 1.5 per cent pre-lottery chance of getting the first pick overall? Coincidence? Yeah, right. Professional sports is about entertainment and marketing and money and TV and such. Fairness sometimes sucks. Connor McDavid should be a Maple Leaf, and everyone knows it – including McDavid himself.

And once upon a time, a 16 year old Eric Lindros told The Hockey News that his favourite team was the Edmonton Oilers...supposedly had Mark Messier's hockey card in his wallet.

Kids have favourites, and then they grow up and move on with their life.

Get over it, Toronto. Or not, either choice works for me. :laugh:

Pressure

Real Talk
Aug 11, 2005
Edmonton
While admitting the D and G need serious work, the Oil could run something along the lines of:

Pouliot/Nuge/Eberle
Hall/McDavid/Yakupov
Draisaitl/Roy/Purcell
Lander/Gordon/Hendricks

That line up only requires signing one player, Roy. It'd be sort of nice to have 6 centers dressed all the time.

I'd replace Lander with Drai on the wing.

Hall/Mcdavid/Lander

GDU

Dec 19, 2008

this is trash journalism at its best, sad that sportsnet prints this garbage but not shocked either

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
this is trash journalism at its best, sad that sportsnet prints this garbage but not shocked either

Thing is this isnt some vague blogger with a tumblr page. This is sportsnet. Toronto media has no shame.

I love hearing how Toronto is owed so much cause they apparently bank roll the league. Yeah news flash Alberta bankrolls the entire country. :handclap:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad