Prospect Info: Oilers Rookie at the Penticton Young Stars Classic

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Savoie was really good in game 2. Picking his spots, setting up his teammates but guys around him had no finish. Hopefully he starts to shake off the rust a bit, I see a very talented player here when he's on.
Sounds like how it was when Hemsky was setting guys up all the time and they couldn't finish

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Sounds like how it was when Hemsky was setting guys up all the time and they couldn't finish
The irony of this statement is that Hemsky himself was not a good goal scorer and had trouble finishing his scoring chances. Hemsky only barely hit 20 goal seasons and among all his seasons only managed 20, and 23 goal seasons as high points.

Hemsky also had several seasons, where he didn't even reach double digit goals.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
To be fair it’s difficult to score when your d can’t break the puck out. Wasn’t a great showcase for Savoie but man I watched so many shifts where he was in position doing his thing and playing the whole shift hemmed in because the defense couldn’t make plays when they had the puck on their stick. Wanner was the sole guy who showed any consistent ability and he’s hardly a puck mover.

When other teams bring a lot more AHL experience they’re gonna dominate teams made mostly of CHL players. Bains was an AHL all star ffs he has no business here.

I do think the team needs to really gun for some college/euro free agents though.

This is something I've noticed, the Oil have completely gone away from college and euro free agents the last two summers.

The last one signed was Berglund, well over a year ago.

Though I think a big part of it is the team would rather sign someone like a 24/25 year old like Hoefenmayer or Gleason than a 21/22 YO that doesn't have NHL upside. Basically if you're just going to be a warm body for the farm, you might as well already be fully developed.

Reactions: oilers'72

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
This is something I've noticed, the Oil have completely gone away from college and euro free agents the last two summers.

The last one signed was Berglund, well over a year ago.

Though I think a big part of it is the team would rather sign someone like a 24/25 year old like Hoefenmayer or Gleason than a 21/22 YO that doesn't have NHL upside. Basically if you're just going to be a warm body for the farm, you might as well already be fully developed.
At the end of the day I think you need the mixture.

I get the 24/25 year old guys as you never know if a change in organization can get a guy going and if you really like the guy maybe you think he can make that next step.

But good teams need to identify younger players too. Guys they think with development might be able to do something.

Reactions: oilers'72

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad