Prospect Info: Oilers Rookie at the Penticton Young Stars Classic

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
The older prospects never look amazing here cause they are saving it for main camp. This tournament is always a shit show.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
If you haven't watched any of these players outside of this tournament it's laughable that you'd have any kind of opinion on their potential or NHL readiness. Some people just love to feel like they have a clue what they're talking about
I mean yeah … but this is just a thread with people giving their opinions. I don’t really see the problem with that. I suppose many posters are like me and don’t have time (or way) to watch junior hockey or AHL. So they are watching this tournament carefully to get a first hand look at a player they may not have seen since last year (or in some cases not at all).

For example Wanner has been touted by some posters here (probably some of them have watched his WHL/AHL games but I guarantee others have not and they are just jumping on the hype train) as being borderline NHL ready and perhaps threatening for a bottom pair slot as early as this season. I didn’t see it at all. I saw a player who was quite poor in game 1 and probably a bit better today, but nothing outstanding. Based on some of the rosy write ups I’ve seen on this board, I did expect more. I think it’s fair to post that. It’s a poor situation to evaluate a player, I agree. But what else are we supposed to do? Just not post at all?
He's a nice safe bet from the Oilers as a piece that can help them in the McDrai era as an important depth piece
Based on what you said above about how ‘laughable’ it is to have any opinions on ‘potential or NHL readiness’ based off performance in this tournament, I assume you watched a bunch of London Knights games over the past year? Or is it just ‘laughable’ to have a negative opinion based off this tourney, and positive statements like ‘safe bet’ are acceptable? Personally I like to read all opinions on prospects.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
For example Wanner has been touted by some posters here (probably some of them have watched his WHL/AHL games but I guarantee others have not and they are just jumping on the hype train) as being borderline NHL ready and perhaps threatening for a bottom pair slot as early as this season. I didn’t see it at all. I saw a player who was quite poor in game 1 and probably a bit better today, but nothing outstanding. Based on some of the rosy write ups I’ve seen on this board, I did expect more. I think it’s fair to post that. It’s a poor situation to evaluate a player, I agree. But what else are we supposed to do? Just not post at all?
I'm as big a Wanner fan as anybody but anybody who is thinking he's NHL ready is delusional. He's just getting his feet wet at the pro level, it's going to be 2-3 years before he's ready but there's a bundle of potential with him, it just needs polish.

bleatbloop

Aug 20, 2024
The Oilers have a player thats 25.

What makes you say that?
Yamamoto type player without the useless physicality. Doesn't move well enough for his size. Doesn't have the drive and intensity that you need as a player of that stature to be effective in the NHL.

We've seen a million of these players come and go who put up lazy points against bums in the junior or minor leagues. Like his brother he is lacking the element of intensity or strength.

He doesn't have the utterly elite skill and creativity to allow him to be an NHL player despite these shortcomings.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
"yeah wanner isn't close to making the Oilers" is the exact type of post I'm talking about and there's been plenty just like this with some even saying Savoie is a bust in last game's thread. So actually you're wrong people are trying to make long term predictions from these meaningless games. If you haven't watched any of these players outside of this tournament it's laughable that you'd have any kind of opinion on their potential or NHL readiness. Some people just love to feel like they have a clue what they're talking about, and that might come off harsh, but some of the comments I've ready show an incredible lack of understanding of many things hockey related.
I kind of blame the media for stuff like that.

Like they talk about Wanner like he could be a top4 D for the Oilers this year, but if you actually watch him play in Bako, it's clear he's a really good prospect with great tools, but he has a long way to develop still.

The fans come in with high expectations and then actually see these guys play for the first few times.

Reactions: McFlyingV

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
Absolutely nobody on this rookie team would last 2 games in the NHL before being sent to the ECHL. Don't let Stauffer fool you. Only ones I see are Savoie and Reilly. Savoie needs to step up and Reilly is at least 3 years away. My grandma could scout better talent past the 1st round then the group the Oilers have assembled.

Reactions: Heavy Dee

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
I'm as big a Wanner fan as anybody but anybody who is thinking he's NHL ready is delusional. He's just getting his feet wet at the pro level, it's going to be 2-3 years before he's ready but there's a bundle of potential with him, it just needs polish.
Agree, him getting a cup of tea sometimes this season vs him being NHL ready or threatening for a spot are very different things.
Even as it is he is behind Stecher, Brown, Emberson and Bouchard on the right side and we will certainly be adding another by trade deadline.
The kid was a AHL rookie last season and had looked as good as Kemp and other AHL RDs already.

I kind of blame the media for stuff like that.

Like they talk about Wanner like he could be a top4 D for the Oilers this year, but if you actually watch him play in Bako, it's clear he's a really good prospect with great tools, but he has a long way to develop still.

The fans come in with high expectations and then actually see these guys play for the first few times.
So exactly who in media is projecting Wanner to be in opening night roster? Let alone be a top 4 Dman?
Just not buying these claims.

Reactions: oilers'72

bleatbloop

Aug 20, 2024
Absolutely nobody on this rookie team would last 2 games in the NHL before being sent to the ECHL. Don't let Stauffer fool you. Only ones I see are Savoie and Reilly. Savoie needs to step up and Reilly is at least 3 years away. My grandma could scout better talent past the 1st round then the group the Oilers have assembled.
Yep, of course with a guy like Reilly we'll give him time. Late first rounder only 18 years old.

This is Savoie's third rookie camp. Petrov's fourth? Mitch Moroz was putting up more points than Petrov by the way. So was David Musil. We remember those guys?

This is Wanner's third rookie camp? These guys should look dominant out there at least for a single shift. Two games now and not one dominant shift in a tournament with 99% of the players never going to touch NHL regularity.

Look at what Holloway did in this tournament last year and he played the year in the AHL. Miles ahead of anyone else in the tourny.

Again, I understand being a fan of the club means you want to support the players in our stable. However, past Reilly and Rodrigue (Akey health pending), there isn't a single NHL regular player projected in there (IN MY OPINION).

It's looking grim, hopefully the new management group with Pracey can start finding some quality players past the top five.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
Yep, of course with a guy like Reilly we'll give him time. Late first rounder only 18 years old.

This is Savoie's third rookie camp. Petrov's fourth? Mitch Moroz was putting up more points than Petrov by the way. So was David Musil. We remember those guys?

This is Wanner's third rookie camp? These guys should look dominant out there at least for a single shift. Two games now and not one dominant shift in a tournament with 99% of the players never going to touch NHL regularity.

Look at what Holloway did in this tournament last year and he played the year in the AHL. Miles ahead of anyone else in the tourny.

Again, I understand being a fan of the club means you want to support the players in our stable. However, past Reilly and Rodrigue (Akey health pending), there isn't a single NHL regular player projected in there (IN MY OPINION).

It's looking grim, hopefully the new management group with Pracey can start finding some quality players past the top five.
bro, look at other teams in the other rookie tournaments, some teams are losing 9-2. No team is full of players that are projected to make the NHL. All teams are full of invites and young draftees being introduced to pro hockey BEFORE training camp because in an NHL camp these people would not be playing/ have time to get introduced. Its purely a run a through and a throwaway meant to gain them experience. These kids are thrown together.

It's grim, but not because of this roster. We used to dominate this tournament and our AHL and NHL teams sucked. This means nothing, absolutely nothing and these players shouldn't even be wearing NHL jerseys. Heck Toronto is wearing practice jerseys in their games. This tournament is a glorified JR game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad