Oilers or Panthers?

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Oilers or Panthers?

• Oilers

Votes: 78 45.1%
  • Panthers

Votes: 95 54.9%

• Total voters

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
A lot of our fans are clinging onto "reality" and "results" instead of making up BS scenarios in their head in flailing attempts to prop up how "well actually 🤓" smart they are.

You could be pretty close to a dummy like me and be on the right path to building a cup team.

Draft good goalies. Get solid defense in place. Make sure the players are quick and physical who adhere well to simple playstyle systems. Solid developmental coaches scouts and staff. Tank and draft the best Cs you can. Look out for bargains. Get reclamation projects along the way to sell for more picks at the deadline. Make sure you preach hard work and accountability.

Always be on the look out for guys with a playoff gear for trade. Dont be scared to take on a misfit or trouble maker within reason. Make sure the turnover on the team is not so high that chemistry wont develop.

Ok thats about all you need to do. So pretty much watch the playoffs for 20 years and see what wins and does not. Read about what wins and does not and do your best to use hockey fundamentals as your guide to success.

Or you can NuHockey and reinvent the wheel to accommodate wimps like Marner.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
You could be pretty close to a dummy like me and be on the right path to building a cup team.

Draft good goalies. Get solid defense in place. Make sure the players are quick and physical who adhere well to simple playstyle systems. Solid developmental coaches scouts and staff. Tank and draft the best Cs you can. Look out for bargains. Get reclamation projects along the way to sell for more picks at the deadline. Make sure you preach hard work and accountability.

Always be on the look out for guys with a playoff gear for trade. Dont be scared to take on a misfit or trouble maker within reason. Make sure the turnover on the team is not so high that chemistry wont develop.

Ok thats about all you need to do. So pretty much watch the playoffs for 20 years and see what wins and does not. Read about what wins and does not and do your best to use hockey fundamentals as your guide to success.

Draft good goalies? Skinner is not good, Bob was not drafted (and is not playing well), and Kuemper just sucked before, this is not a requirement. Of course, it'd be nice to have Vasi-level goaltending, but I don't think it is required.

Turnover can't be too high? Last year's winner is proof that doesn't need to be the case.

You just said "make sure your team is full of good players who can win"... not a groundbreaking approach.

One thing I'd like to do that you sort of pointed out, is maybe look at players who are hoping for a bounce-back years or are "misfits". Not guys like Klingberg who have sucked for multiple years, but similar to what Vegas did, they took a lot of guys who were exposed during the draft who had one-off bad years or who were once great, but were playing average, there is some value there potentially. Toronto seems to go after big names too often.

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
The one upside to the unthinkable horror of having to watch Oilers fans gloating until we can't take it anymore is that if Edmonton wins that weasel Tkachuk misses out on getting a ring for the 2nd year in a row and unless the Panthers win it all at some point (or his next team if he ever moves on), that fact plus being on the wrong part of the worst collapse in SC history will be a big part of his legacy.

Yeah, I just don't like him, at all.

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007
I don't care for FLA.

I will forever like Hyman though.

I'm not cheering for anyone other then who I like.
no love for brown :huh:
If FLA wins, we may see a sea of rats like in the old days.
If OIlers wins, we are witnessing an all-time collapse and Hyman & Brown get a ring before the core4.

Reactions: 57 Years No Cup

Punch Drunk Loov

Thought Viktor Loov was going to be a guy
Dec 6, 2011
It's a great day to be a hater.

Edmonton wins - One of the biggest choke jobs in the history of the sport. Florida will be grasping for answers and will look to point fingers making the finals twice in a row and losing both

Florida wins - Oilers couldn't complete a comeback. McDavid to the Leafs confirmed when his contract is up.

Roo

Oct 3, 2005
Oakville
If OIlers wins, we are witnessing an all-time collapse and Hyman & Brown get a ring before the core4.
Gotta root for the ultimate collapse and the cup back in Canada. Edm isn’t Montreal or Van, I would be happy for them. I mean, that city doesn’t have much else going for it.

Reactions: Leaffan1991

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
Your reading comprehension seems to be suspect.

Hyman's skill level is low, but he makes up for it in other ways, I am not sure this is a knock on him, but if you want to take it as one, alright.

Pretending McDavid is not boosting Hyman's numbers by a fair bit is delusion, not sure I am doing anything other than trying to bring a few back to reality, yourself included.

Our "fans" enjoy making every player on our team worse and every former player better, the Marner hate is out of control much like the Hyman love.

A lot of our fans are holding onto the "what ifs" and "good ol' days" of their own life, so it makes sense they'd obsess over past players I guess.
His skill level is not low, he has pretty good hands actually. Does skating in circles and flinging blind passes constitute as skill to you? How does all that skill Marner has do when other players actually try harder?

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Your reading comprehension seems to be suspect.

Hyman's skill level is low, but he makes up for it in other ways, I am not sure this is a knock on him, but if you want to take it as one, alright.

Pretending McDavid is not boosting Hyman's numbers by a fair bit is delusion, not sure I am doing anything other than trying to bring a few back to reality, yourself included.

Our "fans" enjoy making every player on our team worse and every former player better, the Marner hate is out of control much like the Hyman love.

A lot of our fans are holding onto the "what ifs" and "good ol' days" of their own life, so it makes sense they'd obsess over past players I guess.
Seems like you either haven't watched Hyman play much lately, or you don't know skill when you see it, or you just feel like you need to put down anyone who's compared to Marner.

Like I said earlier, regular season I probably take Marner over Hyman but playoffs, Hyman is the easy choice. You can find any stats you like but it doesn't matter to me, I've seen them both play, I've seen enough to be confident with my choice.

Reactions: thewave

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Draft good goalies? Skinner is not good, Bob was not drafted (and is not playing well), and Kuemper just sucked before, this is not a requirement. Of course, it'd be nice to have Vasi-level goaltending, but I don't think it is required.

Turnover can't be too high? Last year's winner is proof that doesn't need to be the case.

You just said "make sure your team is full of good players who can win"... not a groundbreaking approach.

One thing I'd like to do that you sort of pointed out, is maybe look at players who are hoping for a bounce-back years or are "misfits". Not guys like Klingberg who have sucked for multiple years, but similar to what Vegas did, they took a lot of guys who were exposed during the draft who had one-off bad years or who were once great, but were playing average, there is some value there potentially. Toronto seems to go after big names too often.

Generally you get Goalies at the draft. You usually get good scouts to look around and try and use 2nd or 3rd round picks to get it done. Its not hard, they got Woll who I think is good and then just stopped.

D are tricky but can often be had in mid late 1st round and 2nd. D also sometimes take years to develop but thats why you want to build from the net out. Its the developmental curve of both positions. They take longer but you will probably disagree like you do with almost everyone at this point.

Little Mitchies come and go and granted they win cups as secondary pieces, they dont lead teams to them and certainly not for the insane money he expects. Nuthouse level overpay for him and Nylander now. Both players should not be in the 10s of millions. 9ish tops. Wingers today pffft.

Hope Nylander becomes a C to make the cap count.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Seems like you either haven't watched Hyman play much lately, or you don't know skill when you see it, or you just feel like you need to put down anyone who's compared to Marner.

Like I said earlier, regular season I probably take Marner over Hyman but playoffs, Hyman is the easy choice. You can find any stats you like but it doesn't matter to me, I've seen them both play, I've seen enough to be confident with my choice.

Has Hyman ever proved he is a good playoff performer without McDavid?

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Generally you get Goalies at the draft. You usually get good scouts to look around and try and use 2nd or 3rd round picks to get it done. Its not hard, they got Woll who I think is good and then just stopped.

Which team has drafted a good goalie in the 2nd/3rd that has won recently? St Louis (think he was 3rd round)? Who else?

D are tricky but can often be had in mid late 1st round and 2nd. D also sometimes take years to develop but thats why you want to build from the net out. Its the developmental curve of both positions. They take longer but you will probably disagree like you do with almost everyone at this point.

You're far too obsessed with where people were drafted/developing them.

Arguably Florida's best D was through waivers.

Fox is one of the best Ds in the league and was a 3rd rounder if I am not mistaken.

You can get D places outside the first two rounds of the draft.

Little Mitchies come and go and granted they win cups as secondary pieces, they dont lead teams to them and certainly not for the insane money he expects. Nuthouse level overpay for him and Nylander now. Both players should not be in the 10s of millions. 9ish tops. Wingers today pffft.

If Mitch figures it out like he has in the regular season, he most certainly can win you the cup, top wingers have before.

Hope Nylander becomes a C to make the cap count.

Which wingers are worth their cap? Tkachuk? Pastrnak? Panarin? Rantanen?

Are only Cs worth their cap?

Leaffan1991

Oct 22, 2016
Canada
Florida fans in shambles saying if they lose they are no longer fans of the franchise. Apparently two Stanley cup finals isn't enough for them. What a joke of a fan base

Reactions: torontoblood

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Which team has drafted a good goalie in the 2nd/3rd that has won recently? St Louis (think he was 3rd round)? Who else?

You're far too obsessed with where people were drafted/developing them.

Arguably Florida's best D was through waivers.

Fox is one of the best Ds in the league and was a 3rd rounder if I am not mistaken.

You can get D places outside the first two rounds of the draft.

If Mitch figures it out like he has in the regular season, he most certainly can win you the cup, top wingers have before.

Which wingers are worth their cap? Tkachuk? Pastrnak? Panarin? Rantanen?

Are only Cs worth their cap?

Its just generalizations. I am not writing a how to book here. Yes Goalies come from all sorts of avenues. Many of the cup winning ones are drafted by the team.

D take longer to develop. Its true on its face. Not impossible to get them from other methods and my idiots guide says so. Keep an eye out for playoff performers etc. Trade reclamation projects or keep them.

Not sure if you are trying to disagree with me by agreeing with me or the other way around?

There are or have been only a few wingers worth their money. Kucherov. Kane. Everyone else is sub 10 millions.

C are far more important to a team than any winger. If Nylander were a competent C who puts up 95pts 40 goals. He gets 10-10.5 from me especially doing it from L2.

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
I'm in for the delicious schadenfreude that will occur among the Dubas Is Always Right Crew if the bolded happens. That said, The Dubas Crew isn't really known to have any self awareness.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Has Hyman ever proved he is a good playoff performer without McDavid?

Pointless question. I watch him play, he plays great and who he plays with is irrelevant. Marner plays with best goal scorer in the game and still chokes when the pressure is on, what's his problem?

Marner chokes under pressure whereas Hyman seems to be the kind of player who thrives on pressure, that's the difference between the two right there.

All these years making 11 million a year and he still hasn't figured out. Have you heard the expression throwing good money after bad? That describes perfectly what a Marner extension would be.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Pointless question. I watch him play, he plays great and who he plays with is irrelevant. Marner plays with best goal scorer in the game and still chokes when the pressure is on, what's his problem?

Marner chokes under pressure whereas Hyman seems to be the kind of player who thrives on pressure, that's the difference between the two right there.

Hyman played great here too normally, no finish though.

All these years making 11 million a year and he still hasn't figured out. Have you heard the expression throwing good money after bad? That describes perfectly what a Marner extension would be.

You're arguing that your hero Hyman figured it out at 29 and is not a product of McDavid, Marner is only 27.

I don't care if they extend Marner, I want whatever is best for the team.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Hyman played great here too normally, no finish though.

You're arguing that your hero Hyman figured it out at 29 and is not a product of McDavid, Marner is only 27.

I don't care if they extend Marner, I want whatever is best for the team.

I'm not arguing Hyman "figured it out at 29", he has improved though. Marner's trending downwards though when it comes to playoff performance so I'm not too optimistic that he'll ever be worth the cap hit he's after.

I assume we all want what's best for the team, and that's why I very much care what they decide to do with Marner, as IMO another long term dollar contract for that playoff ghost would be a big mistake.

ruaware41

Typical
Oct 22, 2019

the most important traits that would have us as a cup contender is emotional maturity and patience to see a plan through. The rest you could get by with an average IQ. The pieces were falling in place and we just butchered it because as management put it at the time to justify sabotaging the rebuild - YOLO!

Every fan and their mother knew during the bottom of the league years we need a proper rebuild. Management knew too. So you are right, it's not an IQ issue. However all of management and almost all the fans like children who see candy and start running towards it decided to completely abandon the thought of that idea as soon as we had a chance to squeak into the playoffs against the caps and every year from thereon that stupid "retool" continued and we never got a proper rebuild that would likely have us competing for a cup over the last few years, gave away pieces to win at the moment, couldn't win, and lost assets in the process.

Reactions: thewave

horner

May 22, 2007
I'm not arguing Hyman "figured it out at 29", he has improved though. Marner's trending downwards though when it comes to playoff performance so I'm not too optimistic that he'll ever be worth the cap hit he's after.

I assume we all want what's best for the team, and that's why I very much care what they decide to do with Marner, as IMO another long term dollar contract for that playoff ghost would be a big mistake.
He was improving every year with us .
He was our heart and soul his engine wad always in go mode.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005

I'm not sure there's a consistent up or down trend with him. Seems wavy.

ruaware41

Typical
Oct 22, 2019
He was improving every year with us .
He was our heart and soul his engine wad always in go mode.
if Marchand doesn't destroy his knees in that one playoffs run Hyman probably gets the contract Edmonton offered to him right now by the Leafs and not part of the Oilers team this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad