Post-Game Talk: Oilers lose 4-1

cbzblaze

Nov 26, 2015
Calgary
Not a fan of the challenge either, ruins all momentum and flow from the game. I hope they scrap it as well but at the very least, they should give a delay of game penalty if you get the challenge wrong.

As for the lines, please try Nuge on the wing. I don't even care which line, he's not a very good center. Maybe he can turn into a Cogliano type of player? He's pretty useless in all aspects of the game right now. Can't create, can't score, can't win draws, can't defend.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Tough night, team needed to be better. Look to tomorrow, come out with a better effort.

Pakarinen continues to play well, nice to add him to the line up this late in the year.

Tom Collins

Aug 26, 2013
It kills the flow of the game, it lowers scoring illegal goals in an already low scoring league. It goes against the grain of everything they are supposedly trying to wipe out of the league with all the stoppages and low scoring games.
Let the linesmen do what they are paid to do.

Fixed. ;)

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
- Larsson!? Uh oh. He better be alright. Anyone see what happened to him?

- Klefbom is a bonafide stud. I'm pretty certain were seeing him evolve into a true #1 D-man in this league.

- Brossoit has an okay night, but I think he should have had the 3rd goal. I still don't an NHL tender here though. Needs to have one really good night to show he's got the good, and he hasn't yet.

- Nuge good defensively. Still nothing to talk about offensively. I don't even remember seeing him with the puck in the O-zone.

- Eberle invisible.

- Draisaitl was good as usual

- McDavid was good as usual, should have had an assist on the goal called back. I don't like the offside rule, offsides exist to prevent the attacking team from cherry picking or getting an unfair jump on the defense. Problem is, refs usually catch those ones everytime. It's these barely offside by half an inch type calls that are just dumb because the spirit of offsides rule is not violated in these situations.

- Congrats to Pakarinen on the goal.

- Liked Kassian finally giving it to Paquette for laying into us all night.

Overall, I didn't mind this game. Bad stick break in the 1st and a goal called back. We weren't getting the bounces, but I thought we were neck and neck with the Lightning all night. But Larsson injury.... GOOD GOD NO!

Cant say I agree with most of this...
Klefbom had his hare of mistakes and was far from solid. Larsson carried that pairing until he got injured.
Broissoit was decent but not good. Bad rebound control and let in a soft one.
Nuge aside from that one PK was meh at best

Draisaitl was far from good. looked gassed or disinterested for most of the game. Had a few moments with McDavid but for most of the night was a passenger

McDavid didnt have a good night either... outplayed\schooled by TB's top line all night.
still managed to have a few good plays and couldve had a couple points but still not his best night.

Pakarinen-Slepy line was the only one that showed up tonight and gave an honest effort.. pretty pathetic from everyone else.

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
Klefbom was the only bright spot tonight. LB did alright in net.
Drai looked lazy physically and mentally ...maybe was out last nght for beer and wings?...as well as a few others.
move onto tomorrow.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013

sure call them illegal goals..
dont see anyone complaining about illegal penalties.. maybe coaches should be allowed to challenge penalties.. icings? line changes?

Linesmen didnt call it offside making it a legal play. just like refs can let go of crosschecks\hacks\whacks making the play legal.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Not a fan of the challenge either, ruins all momentum and flow from the game. I hope they scrap it as well but at the very least, they should give a delay of game penalty if you get the challenge wrong.

As for the lines, please try Nuge on the wing. I don't even care which line, he's not a very good center. Maybe he can turn into a Cogliano type of player? He's pretty useless in all aspects of the game right now. Can't create, can't score, can't win draws, can't defend.

Nuge is losing his C battle almost every single night. I get that he is getting a tough assignment most of the time, but he just is never able to tilt the ice in our favour. For 6M I'd hope at least 35% of the time you can look like one of the better players on the ice during your given ice time. Just a non-stop string of gut shots to his confidence. Definitely agree he needs some time on the wing to take the pressure off.

McBigYak

Nov 4, 2015
Calgary Alberta
dont see anyone complaining about illegal penalties.. maybe coaches should be allowed to challenge penalties.. icings? line changes?

Linesmen didnt call it offside making it a legal play. just like refs can let go of crosschecks\hacks\whacks making the play legal.

The rule for offsides is clear cut and dry. An offside is an offside.

A hooking penalty for example directly from the rulebook is a pretty general statement

the act of using the stick in a manner that enables a player or goalkeeper to restrain an opponent

That is up to the refs discretion. Offsides there is no discretion. An offside is an offside, so your point is invalid

The NHL is looking to increase scoring, with legal goals. They are not going to let "close enough" Offsides go because that is why they brought the rule in in the first place.

Regardless, GMs like it as they said last year at the GM meetings so it ain't going anywhere.

Tom Collins

Aug 26, 2013

Well it is illegal. I'm fairly certain that nowhere in the NHL rulebook can you find a clause that states a play is only determined against the rules if the referee decides to call it.

You know, supplemental discipline for hits that didn't get penalized, or diving, etc..

The rules are the rules, and just because it took a goal off of us doesn't change anything.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Klefbom had his hare of mistakes and was far from solid. Larsson carried that pairing until he got injured.

Draisaitl was far from good. looked gassed or disinterested for most of the game. Had a few moments with McDavid but for most of the night was a passenger

McDavid didnt have a good night either... outplayed\schooled by TB's top line all night.
still managed to have a few good plays and couldve had a couple points but still not his best night.

Pakarinen-Slepy line was the only one that showed up tonight and gave an honest effort.. pretty pathetic from everyone else.

I think were pretty close to agreeing on Nuge and Brossoit actually. I say okay you say decent lol. You say meh I say good/bad lol. But on Klefbom you gotta give him credit for the beauty pass to Pakarinen and the rocket shot on the goal called back. On top of that he was really good carrying the puck tonight. I didn't notice too many defensive mistakes.

Thought Draisaitl created a lot of good chances and looked confident with the puck. McDavid was McDavid, created a lot of chances and really should have had a point.

Thought Slepy had a horrible game actually. Didn't seem to be in the right spots, didn't make the right plays when he had the puck. Pakarinen, scored a goal... so yeh he showed up I guess.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Well it is illegal. I'm fairly certain that nowhere in the NHL rulebook can you find a clause that states a play is only determined against the rules if the referee decides to call it.

You know, supplemental discipline for hits that didn't get penalized, or diving, etc..

The rules are the rules, and just because it took a goal off of us doesn't change anything.

refs miss penalties all the time and get duped by the fakers.. If the refs decide to put away the whistle are they breaking the rules? by your logic a coach should be able to challenge a play if their player gets cross checked by a Dman in front of the net or get hacked by a goalie while crashing the net.

Bishop slashing Hendricks was illegal too ..

This challenge is a farce especially when the goals happen 30 seconds after the missed call.

kevy999

Sep 12, 2016

I think our top two lines need a reality check. There are players on our team that have not been in the playoffs and this is their time to make themself be known and accounted for. This should be an exciting time for Ebs and Nuge and a few others who have been here for a while with no playoffs. I don't see them taking advantage or hold of this opportunity. As for Mcdavid, he needs to be better if we are going to lock up a playoff spot. Being okay or just good is not enough anymore. Time to take charge of a game. I have serious concerns how we are not ready to play many games. They better wake up tomorrow, we have had two crappy games to start off the road trip and should of lost in Chicago. They better start looking like a playoff team soon.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

Should they review every penalty then? A bunch of those are "illegal" calls.
The league was fine for decades without the offsides challenge. With the NHL's insistence on keeping up with the rest of the other "major" sports, they have created the very thing they are trying to fix which is more stoppages and less goals.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
I think were pretty close to agreeing on Nuge and Brossoit actually. I say okay you say decent lol. You say meh I say good/bad lol. But on Klefbom you gotta give him credit for the beauty pass to Pakarinen and the rocket shot on the goal called back. On top of that he was really good carrying the puck tonight. I didn't notice too many defensive mistakes.

Thought Draisaitl created a lot of good chances and looked confident with the puck. McDavid was McDavid, created a lot of chances and really should have had a point.

Thought Slepy had a horrible game actually. Didn't seem to be in the right spots, didn't make the right plays when he had the puck. Pakarinen, scored a goal... so yeh he showed up I guess.

alright.. lets go with we were close..
Klefbom had issues handling the TB midgets defensively and made bad reads allowing the cycle to continue. Draisaitl was far from confident with the puck and looked gassed all night. Slepy-Letestu\Hendricks-Pakman line was the only one that was physical and that looked dangerous offensively.

The ball is really in Chia's court... Not sure what else McLellan can do as a coach when our 6M players look like passengers compared to our AHL callups

48g90a138pts

Jun 30, 2016
Just like the foot in the crease rule, and keeping with bush league NHL standards, they would likely call the rule all year and ignore it at the end.

Then the NHL would tell everyone afterwards they changed the rule in season and didn't bother to tell anyone about it. What a joke that Brett Hull goal was. :shakehead

But in defense of the goal, it was a dumb rule in a lot of cases.

McBigYak

Nov 4, 2015
Calgary Alberta
Should they review every penalty then? A bunch of those are "illegal" calls.
The league was fine for decades without the offsides challenge. With the NHL's insistence on keeping up with the rest of the other "major" sports, they have created the very thing they are trying to fix which is more stoppages and less goals.

One ref may think an infraction is a penalty while another may not. Penalties are completely discretionary based on the refs opinion.

Offsides are not. They have a clear cut rule in the rulebook as to what an offside is and there is zero gray area.

Alawishis

...so anyway.
Mar 12, 2008
Sherwood Park
The first game of a back-to-back, we played like it was the second game of a back-to-back. Tampa had so much more jump than we did. They beat us to pucks all night long, out worked and out hustled us.

Were we trying to preserve energy for tomorrow's game?

ElysiumAB

Sep 12, 2013
So, the trade off for the team winning some games they shouldn't, is now when they lose the games they aren't allowed to be remotely entertaining?

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
One ref may think an infraction is a penalty while another may not. Penalties are completely discretionary based on the refs opinion.

Offsides are not. They have a clear cut rule in the rulebook as to what an offside is and there is zero gray area.

Problem is that this review rule as it exists serves only to reduce offense. How often do you think a potential scoring play is blown dead because a linesmen blows it offside when it actually isn't? But that play isn't reviewable.

The NHL either needs to scrap the review process entirely, or adjust offside so that there is more leeway for the players entering the zone.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
LA and Flames get 2 pts tonight.. NSH gets 1... Oilers **** the bed..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad