Post-Game Talk: Oilers lose 2-1

Insta

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2005
Edmonton
I think I was pretty clear with my earlier post.

Context matters.

What context? He was awful on that goal and then awful again on the next goal. Regular season starts in a week and it's the same old Oilers.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
It really is, we have a horrible coach. We're seeing the same stupid crap as last year. Plus wouldn't right now be a good time to see what Fayne could do on the PP incase one of Petry or Schultz go down?

Ugh, this will get old fast.

So I guess the part you fail to understand is Fayne isn't a PP guy, he's not an offensive guy. They don't have to "see what Fayne can do" because they don't need Fayne to do that.

It's pretty simple. It's also a preseason game, probably best to get over yourself at his point, or deaf ears will be met much more quickly.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
I don't know why so many need to be so black and white on this.

Simply put, it was a terrible play, where many did at least something wrong and likely Hall made the biggest oversight. However, in context of it being a pre-season game with players playing in a new position, it is forgivable. No need to panic and succumb to the typical "because Oilers" type non-sense.

Use it as a learning tool, and build on it so that mistakes like it don't happen regular season.

Now as I said earlier. If we are seeing stuff like that 10 games in, then I start to ask for accountability from the players or coaches. There needs to be consequences, and not the consequences Kavis Reed spoke of.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
My math might be off, but looking at the PP time, there were two D on the PP for approximately 80% of the PP time.

The lack of Nikitin probably affected that number too.

They played Hall out of position for a short amount of time and he made a mistake. Woop-dee-doo.

McLotto 97

Believe in 13.5%
Mar 14, 2011
Edmonton
Kind of interesting that he would say that, not surprising at all though. Him being on the Nuge Hall line sure was short lived. All of a few minutes. Wonder what that was about. Yak gets into it with Burrows then gets benched and yanked from topline.

Strange **** continues. Meanwhile Taylor Hall goes onto have the worst game.

Some unsettling stuff with this club.

It is not ofter that I agree with Replacement. Even though I love Hall he was a complete ass to Yak yesterday. Early in the first Hall entered the zone and Yak cut across in front of him and Hall hit him in the shins with the pass (clearly going cross ice to RNH). Hall through his hands up in the air and looked skyward and went off the ice sharking his head.

Then on that 4 on 3 PP were they could not enter the zone, as they were skating off the ice Hall was clearly yelling something and Yak looked back at him and skated off.

Just my 2 cents but it seems that he is not liked by Hall .

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Ugh, this will get old fast.

So I guess the part you fail to understand is Fayne isn't a PP guy, he's not an offensive guy. They don't have to "see what Fayne can do" because they don't need Fayne to do that.

It's pretty simple. It's also a preseason game, probably best to get over yourself at his point, or deaf ears will be met much more quickly.

They don't need Fayne to do it right now. What happens in the middle of the season when Petry or Schultz go down mid game? And it's not like Fayne doesn't have some attributes that could make him a half decent option on the PP for us. He's never put up a ton of points but has anyone ever put him in a position to?

Psychoil

Mar 10, 2011
The problem on the powerplay is actually gaining the line and then setting up. Something we can't do

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
They don't need Fayne to do it right now. What happens in the middle of the season when Petry or Schultz go down mid game?

A forward will play on the point, I'm honestly not sure why you can't figure this out. Fayne wasn't brought here to play offense, and they don't need to "try" him out in those spots, they know what kind of player they signed.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Wasn't Edler Draisaitl's man on the second goal?

I forget which goal was which.

I thought it was the first goal where Leon wanders off and misses his man by a country mile and the second goal where Hall does it.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
A forward will play on the point, I'm honestly not sure why you can't figure this out. Fayne wasn't brought here to play offense, and they don't need to "try" him out in those spots, they know what kind of player they signed.

I don't know why you can't figure out that our forwards playing the point leads to us having the most SHG's in the league scored against us. :facepalm: We need to be playing players in positions there familiar with. We don't need to see RNH and Hall on the point missing assignments left and right. Maybe once they're older but right now they're still to young and immature.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
I don't know why you can't figure out that our forwards playing the point leads to us having the most SHG's in the league scored against us. :facepalm: We need to be playing players in positions there familiar with. We don't need to see RNH and Hall on the point missing assignments left and right. Maybe once they're older but right now they're still to young and immature.

There are quite a few teams that go with 4 forwards on the power play nowadays. It doesn't excuse the team allowing so many last year. I don't want to assume that these 2 SHG in the last games means we're in for the same as they haven't really practiced it much yet, but the scheme needs to allow for the forwards to help out a bit defensively on the PP. And the players need to buy into their responsibilities. It doesn't matter your position, if you are one of the first guys back defending you need to have some responsibility.

jgoud*

I wish someone would beat the **** out of Bieksa and Burrows. Both just deliver cheap shots and lip service and never answer the bell.
Yak planted Burrows on his ass that game near the red line. That was great.

Yakimov, Yakupov and Nurse all looked great tonight.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
What context? He was awful on that goal and then awful again on the next goal. Regular season starts in a week and it's the same old Oilers.

No point in me going over this again.

Its pretty clear that you are closed book.

Cawz

Sep 18, 2003
Oiler fan in Calgary
Visit site

So wouldnt the pre-season be a good time for them to get some experience to try to get more familiar?

Cawz

Sep 18, 2003
Oiler fan in Calgary
Visit site
Its kind of funny how the threads after we lose are way bigger than the threads after we win (this thread is already bigger than the last 2 after wins). I guess a bunch of posters dont bother saying anything when things end positive.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Why are you removing the context? Hall was playing the point on the PP and had to play in the defensive zone and missed an assignment.

He has had little to no experience playing the point on the PP and even less being a point man playing defence on the PP.This happened in the pre-season in a scenario that rarely happens while he is learning the position.

Why this has become a focal point for massive failure is beyond me.

Its much ado about nothing.

They had Hall on the point? Is our coaching staff really THAT ****ing clueless? (Rhetorical question). That is beyond brutal.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Its kind of funny how the threads after we lose are way bigger than the threads after we win (this thread is already bigger than the last 2 after wins). I guess a bunch of posters dont bother saying anything when things end positive.

Let's hope that the team starts winning with regularity then! :yo:

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
They had Hall on the point? Is our coaching staff really THAT ****ing clueless? (Rhetorical question). That is beyond brutal.

A bit of an over reaction Id say.

Why is that so inexcusably clueless and beyond brutal?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad