Oilers hire Stan Bowman as GM & EVP of Hockey Ops

JPT

Jul 4, 2024
Have you ever been an NHL executive with the know how to make this statement?
I've managed in enough companies to know there is a hierarchy, you do not over step. It is bad for business and company moral.
Some of you are acting like Bowman was told to never bring it up again once MacIsaac said he would handle it. That isn't the case, or at least has never been brought up as having been the case. Nothing stopped Bowman from doing the right thing and following up.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2004
I've managed in enough companies to know there is a hierarchy, you do not over step. It is bad for business and company moral.
Sorry but this is a ridiculous defense. You don’t need to be an NHL executive to know that the General Manager of an NHL franchise was not afraid of “overstepping.” And even were that false premise true, one of your players potentially being sexually assaulted by one of the coaches you manage is a case where you overstep.

As someone who had managed in multiple companies I’m guessing you’ve had to sit through a lot of training and discussions about identifying and reporting sexual harassment in the workplace, let alone allegations of assault. Letting those go unreported are what’s bad for morale and exposure to lawsuits, never mind having any sort of moral compass.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2004
Some of you are acting like Bowman was told to never bring it up again once MacIsaac said he would handle it. That isn't the case, or at least has never been brought up as having been the case. Nothing stopped Bowman from doing the right thing and following up.

Thats the heart of it. They all wanted it and Aldrich and Beach to quietly go away so it wouldn’t upset their ambitions.

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
Manitoba
While I don't dispute their teammates opinions on both players, hockey locker rooms are a very tight niche comradery, every player quickly defends one another, any small crack or quip can really have a group suffer.

It still doesn't excuse the bizarre pattern of the Oilers seemingly being a second chance recluse for people that have proven issues.

Have to look at it from both sides, there is room for redemption and forgiveness, but the fan base homerism for just ignoring the past is weirdly discouraging.
Are you saying it's homerism to not care about the events that apparently took place when Kane was a young pup in Winnipeg 10 years ago?

Or about his crazy ex wifes allegations?

Or about the covid document?

Not sure what you're getting at.

Yuke

Jan 15, 2020
Sorry but this is a ridiculous defense. You don’t need to be an NHL executive to know that the General Manager of an NHL franchise was not afraid of “overstepping.” And even were that false premise true, one of your players potentially being sexually assaulted by one of the coaches you manage is a case where you overstep.

As someone who had managed in multiple companies I’m guessing you’ve had to sit through a lot of training and discussions about identifying and reporting sexual harassment in the workplace, let alone allegations of assault. Letting those go unreported are what’s bad for morale and exposure to lawsuits, never mind having any sort of moral compass.
Know what, 10 years ago you didn't. Today you do

Yuke

Jan 15, 2020
Would love to see McDavid and Draisaitl veto this like the on-air talent vetoed Ronna McDaniel on MSNBC.
Those guys will read the investigation report and make their decision unlike the cowboys on here that get their info ( most of it wrong) from the internet

Z-Diddy

Mar 20, 2004
Uh... Brooklyn!
Are you saying it's homerism to not care about the events that apparently took place when Kane was a young pup in Winnipeg 10 years ago?

Or about his crazy ex wifes allegations?

Or about the covid document?
Couldn't have said it better myself, yes, it doesn't discredit the original post, just that because they are deemed good teammates

Yuke

Jan 15, 2020
I hate to be the one to inform you of this, but there were plenty of decent people who took sexual assault allegations very seriously, even in the face of potential personal loss, 10 years ago.
That wasn't the question, was it

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
Manitoba
Couldn't have said it better myself, yes, it doesn't discredit the original post, just that because they are deemed good teammates
I suggest you educate yourself on the allegations Kane has faced throughout his career, and not fall into the media trap.

Nonetheless, this thread is about Bowman, so I'll move on.

• Haha
Reactions: Three On Zero

canuckster19

Former CDC Mod
Sep 23, 2008
Gothenburg Sweden

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to keep their mouths shut until the Stanley Cup run is over. I bet you believe the government has your best interests at heart as well, lol.

barry halls

Nov 13, 2018
What a kick in the dick as an Oilers fan, Jackson just undid all the good he has done in one fell swoop. We are going to be the 2010s Sharks and never win a cup. Disgusting.

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
Manitoba
What a kick in the dick as an Oilers fan, Jackson just undid all the good he has done in one fell swoop. We are going to be the 2010s Sharks and never win a cup. Disgusting.
How exactly does that make sense?

The Oilers aren't going to win the Cup this upcoming season because of Bowman? The roster was already set for this upcoming season before he got here.

Reactions: TheNumber4

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
While I don't dispute their teammates opinions on both players, hockey locker rooms are a very tight niche comradery, every player quickly defends one another, any small crack or quip can really have a group suffer.

It still doesn't excuse the bizarre pattern of the Oilers seemingly being a second chance recluse for people that have proven issues.

Have to look at it from both sides, there is room for redemption and forgiveness, but the fan base homerism for just ignoring the past is weirdly discouraging.
100% true

Yuke

Jan 15, 2020
I got the report from the internet. 🤔

Well, no, but there was no question.
Doubt you read the report. It was McDonough the president who said he would take care of it, 2 steps above the GM.
You said I would have taken training about sexual abuse then changed it to how people took it serious.

JPT

Jul 4, 2024
Doubt you read the report. It was McDonough the president who said he would take care of it, 2 steps above the GM.
You said I would have taken training about sexual abuse then changed it to how people took it serious.
Not all 90 pages, no, but you didn't either. And I didn't say anything like that about you or anyone else. You're thinking of someone else.

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
When an employee gets assaulted, you don’t tell your boss. You tell the police.
I agree. I think you tell both but it's the responsibility of the victim to pursue all legal avenues and provide evidence for criminal charges. I certainly believe the Blackhawks should have handled the accusation differently within their organization for workplace standards from an internal policy standpoint but the criminality is all Beach's responsibility, he was a legal adult at the time. It's not the Blackhawks job to babysit an adult's personal life. That is why we have laws, police, and courts.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheNumber4

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
While I still find the hire questionable, teams are free to do what they want and the NHL also reinstated the 3 and there is this from Sheldon Kennedy.

People here obviously are going to have divergent views for various reasons and that's fair but if Kennedy is seeing something positive out of a bad situation then that's something right?

It's better to move forward than to just condemn and ignore these situations, people are human and make mistakes no one should be judged only by their worst day or act.

Do the people holding up Sheldon Kennedy as a shield here realize he’s being paid for this? Like he’s not giving these statements out of the blue, he’s being compensated by the party who wants him to say positive things. He’s a lobbyist.

Saltcreek

Nov 23, 2016
Do the people holding up Sheldon Kennedy as a shield here realize he’s being paid for this? Like he’s not giving these statements out of the blue, he’s being compensated by the party who wants him to say positive things. He’s a lobbyist.
You have proof of that? Even if it is true what does it matter if Sheldon agrees?

I am not defending the hire but I see zero relevance to the hiring and this statement you made.

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
What about Kyle Beach, who not only worked closely with Bowman after the events, and who was also consulted and supported his hiring? Does his opinion matter?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad