Oilers hire Stan Bowman as GM & EVP of Hockey Ops

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I see your cope is to call anyone that doesn't like this a Flames fan lol!!

As for Sheldon, I wouldn't care if, say, Corey Haim came back from the grave to somehow support a hire like this. Anyone that does is a complete tool.
No I just called you a. Flames fan cause you were one. And there’s many reasons to not like this hire, hockey related and non hockey related. I’m just calling out the few who fake moral outrage over this but won’t put their money where their mouths are, which shows a fake outrage.

Sheldon has done more to help victims than anyone on here combined. So calling him a tool is quite classless of you. All for what? So you can shit on a rival team that you hate?

Reactions: McDoused

Cleatus

Nov 21, 2008
Calgary, AB, CAN
No I just called you a. Flames fan cause you were one. And there’s many reasons to not like this hire, hockey related and non hockey related. I’m just calling out the few who fake moral outrage over this but won’t put their money where their mouths are, which shows a fake outrage.

Sheldon has done more to help victims than anyone on here combined. So calling him a tool is quite classless of you. All for what? So you can shit on a rival team that you hate?

Yeah, you're absolutely deluded for thinking I was ever a Flames fan (I rooted for Oilers against them and Florida in playoffs), let alone your undying support of a rapist enabler.

Speaking of which, a whole lot of people stood by and did nothing when Corey Haim was being raped. While their standing by wasn't necessarily a crime, it still means they're all rapist enabling shit sacks (I.E. Stan Bowman).

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Yeah, you're absolutely deluded for thinking I was ever a Flames fan (I rooted for Oilers against them and Florida in playoffs), let alone your undying support of a rapist enabler.

Speaking of which, a whole lot of people stood by and did nothing when Corey Haim was being raped. While their standing by wasn't necessarily a crime, it still means they're all rapist enabling shit sacks (I.E. Stan Bowman).
I assumed based on your location. But whatever, you aren’t, doesn’t change my argument. Yeh my “undying” support for Bowman, you got me, me and Kennedy.

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006

Is your avatar from the film 'From Beyond' or 'The Thing'?

FiveTacos

Oct 2, 2017
The Twilight Zone
But if you are going to sit there and rage away about how Bowman is some irredeemable monster that doesn’t deserve to be back in this League,

He's not irredeemable. But he sure isn't worthy of any pity for having lost his job years after the fact, and getting suspended. Let's be real, he got off pretty easy, because he got to reap the rewards of team success for years before it all came to light.

None of what he got in the next decade would have materialized if people had known what a coward and ethical midget he really was at the time. He'd have been a rookie GM forced to resign in disgrace after less than a year on the job. Unlikely he ever gets another GM gig, and he sure as hell isn't getting hired to run a contender this week. No multiple Cup glory, no Olympic GM gig, etc. He owes literally all his success to people not knowing what a coward he was until more than a decade later.

You know who didn't get off easy? The actual victims, including ones that were preventable if anyone in a position of power, Bowman included, had shown even the slightest amount of character. Those victims were the cost of his inaction ... So in a way, they were the cost to build his GM career.

You think he ever wondered if that guy was still out there victimizing others? You think he ever gave the victims a second thought while he was celebrating Cups and basking in accolades and accepting Olympic jobs? Did he give a moments worth of time to assault victims until he needed to for his PR rehab? I think it's a pretty safe bet that the answer to every one of those is no.

So I hope he's grown and is a better person now, but let's be clear here, the price he paid was dwarfed by the rewards he reaped, and now it seems the rewards continue.

Crazy Cizikas

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2017
A good place
*shrugs
I don't follow up at all. When i am in thoae situations, i let the people paid to handle those situations handle it. Once I've passed the little information I was given to my superior and HR, I'm out of it, don't even sit in on the meetings and all I want to know is the outcome.

If they say we gave an employee the option to resign and he did, I can only assume HR investigated and I ask no questions. Its on them to call the authorities, not me, if they feel that is needed. HR is trained in those scenarios and legalities and i am not. The ball isn't in my court at that point unless I want to argue to keep an employee.

But then again I am just a department manager, not a GM or CEO. I am allowed to do exactly what they tell me to when it comes to that stuff. It's right in our policies to let HR know immediately so they can handle it and step away and keep anything I know confidential and say "it's being handle by HR" when queried and do nothing more
Can’t keep passing the buck forever. Bowman was the “General” Manager. He was generally responsible for the handling of this.

Crazy Cizikas

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2017
A good place
I just don’t know if Stan Bowman knew how serious it was. All he knew that the video coach made some advances towards a player. I don’t disagree that he should have done more, but to say he is a trash human being who thinks sexual assault is ok or no big deal is wrong. If he knew about the full seriousness of the allegations, then ok call him whatever you want. But to me, it seems like nobody really knew how serious it was.
It was his job to know. Beyond that, he did know. He just ignored it. He stuck his fingers in his ears and said “I can’t hear you. I can’t hear you.” He’s a toddler acting a a manager.

UpHere

Feelin' it
Jun 16, 2009
It was his job to know. Beyond that, he did know. He just ignored it. He stuck his fingers in his ears and said “I can’t hear you. I can’t hear you.” He’s a toddler acting a a manager
from all accounts he did report it and was told it was being taking care of from the dudes who pay his salary

Crow

May 19, 2014
He's not irredeemable. But he sure isn't worthy of any pity for having lost his job years after the fact, and getting suspended. Let's be real, he got off pretty easy, because he got to reap the rewards of team success for years before it all came to light.

None of what he got in the next decade would have materialized if people had known what a coward and ethical midget he really was at the time. He'd have been a rookie GM forced to resign in disgrace after less than a year on the job. Unlikely he ever gets another GM gig, and he sure as hell isn't getting hired to run a contender this week. No multiple Cup glory, no Olympic GM gig, etc. He owes literally all his success to people not knowing what a coward he was until more than a decade later.

You know who didn't get off easy? The actual victims, including ones that were preventable if anyone in a position of power, Bowman included, had shown even the slightest amount of character. Those victims were the cost of his inaction ... So in a way, they were the cost to build his GM career.

You think he ever wondered if that guy was still out there victimizing others? You think he ever gave the victims a second thought while he was celebrating Cups and basking in accolades and accepting Olympic jobs? Did he give a moments worth of time to assault victims until he needed to for his PR rehab? I think it's a pretty safe bet that the answer to every one of those is no.

So I hope he's grown and is a better person now, but let's be clear here, the price he paid was dwarfed by the rewards he reaped, and now it seems the rewards continue.
I completely agree with this fwiw.

Reactions: HabsQC

HighLifeManIsHigh

McDave is a loser lol
Feb 27, 2006
Gotta wonder what McDrai think about this hire
Guaranteed they were at least asked about it.

There’s no way the Oilers hired a new GM (no matter who it is), without consulting their two superstars when they need new contracts in the next couple of years.

Not a chance

Reactions: tsujimoto74

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Can’t keep passing the buck forever. Bowman was the “General” Manager. He was generally responsible for the handling of this.
That would be the case if his boss, the president, didn’t specifically say he would handle it himself, then 3 weeks later seemingly handled it by handing the issue over to the appropriate HR dept. of the Chicago Blackhawks. Who by their own admission failed to follow their own rules and guidelines on how to handle such an accusation.

Reactions: Sentinel

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011

Who’s giving him pity though? He’s lost both a GM job with the Hawks and US Olympics team rightfully. Unable to work in his industry for nearly 3 years. And he earned both those roles in his work in his passion which was hockey.

Maybe he got off “easy”. That can be argued from an opinion standpoint and you are welcome to have it based on hopefully a full understanding of what he actually did. But there’s no laws, guidelines, league rules or anything to say what his punishment should have been. He didn’t commit a crime here. And even for people that commit crimes much more egregious than anything Bowman had done, there’s still limits to their punishment baked into our legal system.

The punishment should fit the “crime”. Negligent management and assuming his boss would handle the situation as he said was his “crime” here. Not rape. And he’s atoned for those mistakes with his work with Kennedy’s Respect group. So decide for yourself what his punishment should have been, it’ll be your opinion only and not backed by anything other than that, and would be an opinion that flies in the face of Sheldon Kennedy who knows more about victims and Bowman than anyone on here does.

In terms of reedemability, even in shitty situations there can be potential for good to come out of it. If you beleive Kennedy and even Beach himself, Bowman has put in the work to atone for his mistakes. Kennedy wrote a 4 page letter of recommendation, Beach requested Bowman come work with his current team on the initiatives he’s come up with during his time with Kennedy’s organization.

Nothing can change what happened to Beach or the other victims. And it was a horrible thing to happen to them. But moving forward, atleast one member of that culpable management team has done work to try to make things better for these victims in the future. And that work seemingly will continue moving forward. We shall see though what Bowman does in his new role. I trust Kennedy when he says he worked “relentlessly to make the game safer” and that carrying that message into the hockey ecosystem as a GM “can only help”.

Reactions: Sentinel

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
That’s poor managing.
Negligent and poor management for sure. But not a crime, not even close. A fireable offense though yes, which is why he was fired. Is poor managing Irredeemable? Decide for yourself. But for those like Kennedy that have worked with him since the incident, seen him atone for his mistakes, seen him work hard to make things safer for players moving forward, and put in the work to be better in regards to these situations, they would say he deserves a second chance.

Gotta wonder what McDrai think about this hire
People wondered this after the Kane and Perry signings too. All that outrage turned out to be a nothing burger. But on the subject of McDrai, they we’re likely asked and were fine with it after Kennedy’s recommendation. Same recommendation that Jeff Jackson took to heart when making the hire.

Last edited:

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2004

Great post.

It’s always disappointing how people will twist themselves into a pretzel to defend a guy (one of several in this case) who lacked the basic human decency to put a human being above hockey and didn’t give two shits about it until over a decade later when the truth finally came out.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
3 cups bro
Yeah, we heard this with Holland. He failed to increase his Cup count. Can't imagine why.

There’s no way the Oilers hired a new GM (no matter who it is), without consulting their two superstars when they need new contracts in the next couple of years.

Not a chance
According to Jackson he didn't talk to the players about it.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin

Not a chance
Whether it was to protect McDavid from potential backlash or not, Jeff Jackson said he didn't consult with the players for the hire.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad