Proposal: Oilers | Hawks

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
Ryan Strome wasn't a failure in Edmonton. He was a fine 3C who didn't produce as well as we had hoped. The only part that was a failure with him was the trade that sent him out.

Pass on the proposed deal though.

year 2 was a total failure, he looked out of sorts every night and the trade that sent him out is up there for worst trades in recent Oiler memory

HugeInTheShire

Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
They don’t have the same playstyle, Dylan and Connor have been very close since their Erie days, and Edmonton didn’t know how to utilize Ryan Strome

Trading for someone because he's a friend of a current player seldom works out, I haven't seen a lot of Strome on the wing though which is where Edmonton should want him playing

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
Kubalik
Borgstrom

For

Yamamoto
Kassian
Russell
Lavoie

Lavoie is having a rough start to his sophomore year in the AHL. Kassian is playing well but is still overpaid. 4K is pretty irrelevant and would get minutes in Chicago while being an expiring deal to make the cap work so shouldn't be an issue.

0 chance Borgstrom is part of the deal. Kubalik is going to be too expensive for Edmonton anyways after this year so I won't bother making a better offer.

If they were completely out of the playoff picture near the deadline and Kubalik had shown signs that he was going to price himself out of Chicago maybe we can revisit a trade here but that would be pretty dumb by Chicago to let him walk.

thesaadfather

Jan 30, 2014
Ohio
Lavoie is having a rough start to his sophomore year in the AHL. Kassian is playing well but is still overpaid. 4K is pretty irrelevant and would get minutes in Chicago while being an expiring deal to make the cap work so shouldn't be an issue.

0 chance Borgstrom is part of the deal. Kubalik is going to be too expensive for Edmonton anyways after this year so I won't bother making a better offer.

If they were completely out of the playoff picture near the deadline and Kubalik had shown signs that he was going to price himself out of Chicago maybe we can revisit a trade here but that would be pretty dumb by Chicago to let him walk.

Kubalik is an RFA, so there’s really no reason for them to not try to re-sign him first. They’ll want the equivalent of his offer sheet at minimum.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
year 2 was a total failure, he looked out of sorts every night and the trade that sent him out is up there for worst trades in recent Oiler memory
Year 2 wasn't a failure for Strome, it was a failure for how he was used, but he was playing well. Obviously it looks bad looking at the stat sheet - 2 points in 18 games is bad. But the thing is, I don't blame Strome for that at all because he was playing well despite that. The issue with his entire tenure in Edmonton, is that Oilers coaches were hoping Strome could carry a 3rd line, when he wasn't good enough to carry the players he had as linemates to success. He was a complimentary player on a line, he wasn't the type of guy who should have been expected to turn garbage into gold.

For the record, there were a lot of reports of people inside the Oilers organization being furious with Chiarelli over trading Strome, because they thought he could be a piece to move forward with despite his bad start in year 2.

HugeInTheShire

Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
Year 2 wasn't a failure for Strome, it was a failure for how he was used, but he was playing well. Obviously it looks bad looking at the stat sheet - 2 points in 18 games is bad. But the thing is, I don't blame Strome for that at all because he was playing well despite that. The issue with his entire tenure in Edmonton, is that Oilers coaches were hoping Strome could carry a 3rd line, when he wasn't good enough to carry the players he had as linemates to success. He was a complimentary player on a line, he wasn't the type of guy who should have been expected to turn garbage into gold.

For the record, there were a lot of reports of people inside the Oilers organization being furious with Chiarelli over trading Strome, because they thought he could be a piece to move forward with despite his bad start in year 2.

I watched a lot of games in that season and completely disagree he looked lost and disinterested almost nightly. To me he looked like a player that didn't care at all what was happening, although I do agree he wasn't put in a great position to succeed though, and a lot of that falls on how they chose to use him and the wingers he was given.
He does need to shoulder his share of the blame though, he didn't play well enough to warrant moving up in the lineup

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I watched a lot of games in that season and completely disagree he looked lost and disinterested almost nightly. To me he looked like a player that didn't care at all what was happening, although I do agree he wasn't put in a great position to succeed though, and a lot of that falls on how they chose to use him and the wingers he was given.
He does need to shoulder his share of the blame though, he didn't play well enough to warrant moving up in the lineup
He didn't look disinterested, he looked incapable of carrying Lucic and a revolving door of struggling RW's (Cagguila, Pulujarvi, Rattie, etc) to looking decent. Strome isn't (or wasn't) the type of player that can carry a line. I believe he would have had far more success that year if he was expected to do what he was shown to be able to do in the NHL - be a great complimentary player on a scoring line. He may not have played well enough to move up, but let's not pretend that Kassian, Chaisson, Rattie, or even Yamamoto were given spots in the top six because they earned it. They were put there because none of the other options before them had worked. Strome might have worked better as a top six winger than a 3rd line C when he had little to work with on the third line.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I have time for Dylan Strome, but I’ll wait until he hits the waiver wire. Reuniting him with McD may ignite his game or it may not as we’ve seen somewhat with bringing in Drai’s childhood friend Kahun.

HugeInTheShire

Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
He didn't look disinterested, he looked incapable of carrying Lucic and a revolving door of struggling RW's (Cagguila, Pulujarvi, Rattie, etc) to looking decent. Strome isn't (or wasn't) the type of player that can carry a line. I believe he would have had far more success that year if he was expected to do what he was shown to be able to do in the NHL - be a great complimentary player on a scoring line. He may not have played well enough to move up, but let's not pretend that Kassian, Chaisson, Rattie, or even Yamamoto were given spots in the top six because they earned it. They were put there because none of the other options before them had worked. Strome might have worked better as a top six winger than a 3rd line C when he had little to work with on the third line.

In all likelihood he would have been better on the wing but we shall never know. I don't know how we've ended up having a full blown conversation about a player that wasn't even involved in the OP... LMAO

Anyways, I would trade Yamamoto for Dylan Strome either.. he's not what they need

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
In all likelihood he would have been better on the wing but we shall never know. I don't know how we've ended up having a full blown conversation about a player that wasn't even involved in the OP... LMAO

Anyways, I would trade Yamamoto for Dylan Strome either.. he's not what they need

Lol, I agree, lets get back on track here.

I like Yamamoto. Hopefully the "trade Yamamoto" talks die down a bit now that he has scored a goal this year.

Honestly I wouldn't mind giving Strome a shot if he had a decent contract and we had space. But I still wouldn't trade Yamamoto for him

HugeInTheShire

Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
Lol, I agree, lets get back on track here.

I like Yamamoto. Hopefully the "trade Yamamoto" talks die down a bit now that he has scored a goal this year.

Honestly I wouldn't mind giving Strome a shot if he had a decent contract and we had space. But I still wouldn't trade Yamamoto for him

I really don't see how trading Yamamoto at this point would be beneficial at all, his value would be at an all time low.
I think he can be a top 6 winger and not just get to play there

Has Strome played wing at all? I can't see why they'd take a shot on another center, seems like they'd be setting him up to fail

echlfreak

Aug 1, 2003
Chicago is already too small. They don't need another 5'8" forward that isn't a difference-maker offensively.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Edmonton is not at the point where they should be sending assets for reclamation projects, who typically fail in Edmonton. They need to hold their chips for real needs.

What about the way Edmonton is playing right now makes people think they need Dylan Strome?

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Even when Yamma isn't scoring, he does a lot of great things with Hopkins and Drai. Supports the play very well, plays well in his own zone and he draws a ton of penalties. He isn't getting traded this year unless he's packaged for something more significant.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Edmonton is not at the point where they should be sending assets for reclamation projects, who typically fail in Edmonton. They need to hold their chips for real needs.

What about the way Edmonton is playing right now makes people think they need Dylan Strome?

Have we even beaten a good team yet?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad