News Article: Oilers GM: Broberg, Holloway offer sheets 'way above' their performance

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014

I was wondering when the gloves would come off. Sour grapes. .
I think you'd have a hard time finding anyone to disagree with the premise that they were offered more money than their performance to date had earned them. But as Bowman added in the article, "The players can probably grow into those deals, but as of today, they're way above their actual performance." I think that's where the organization is at, and as a fan I agree. The risk (in draft picks) was relatively low, and the reward could be very high. If one or both fail to pan out, we can easily move on in two years.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
The deals are absolutely above their current performance, but we aren't paying for their current performance. Our goal was to get them for a 2nd and a 3rd. We did that (tho, we did add an additional 3rd and a prospect as well)

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida

I was wondering when the gloves would come off. Sour grapes. .

I wouldn't say its sour grapes at all just stating facts, he literally said there is no bad blood between him and Army in the same interview and that they are still friendly. He also mentioned that their priority was getting Drai signed so he was explaining why they didn't match.

Sirpaste nailed it. It's not sour grapes. He was asked why he didn't match and stated pretty much objective facts pretty everyone can agree on.

They needed to pay Drai, the sheets were above their value, they may grow into that but Oilers are in win now and were offering them deals more in-line with their comparables.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
I wouldn't say its sour grapes at all just stating facts, he literally said there is no bad blood between him and Army in the same interview and that they are still friendly. He also mentioned that their priority was getting Drai signed so he was explaining why they didn't match.
Agreed. The Score article is trying to make it into more of a story. It’s an article based on an article. Click on the actual article from the Athletic and you get this:

In this case, though, at least on the surface, it would appear there isn’t any barn fight looming between the Oilers and the Blues. Or at least not between Armstrong and new Oilers GM Stan Bowman.

“No, I think things are fine,” Bowman told The Athletic this past week. “I’ve known Doug a long time. He’s a very bright guy, a good person. I think sometimes more is made out of that.

“He was trying to do what he could to make his team better. Once you get past the surprise of it, and you then roll your sleeves up and get to work on what you want to do, I don’t think there’s any value in holding grudges. I mean, what good is going to come out of that?

“So, no, for me personally, you have to work with everybody in the league even if you don’t like people, but that’s not the case with Doug anyway. He’s a good person and I don’t have any animosity or issues with Doug Armstrong.”

BlueMed

Jul 18, 2019
The deals are absolutely above their current performance, but we aren't paying for their current performance. Our goal was to get them for a 2nd and a 3rd. We did that (tho, we did add an additional 3rd and a prospect as well)

What I find weird is that most people are projecting their prior performance to this season. Both players are 23 years old and coming out of a deep playoff experience. Who is to say both players can't take a step forward with new roles on a new team that they otherwise couldn't have gotten in Edmonton? Look what happened to many of those drafted by Vegas (Marchessault, Karlsson, etc) and Seattle (e.g. Dunn). Their production skyrocketed with new and elevated roles. The reality is, we won't know if the Blues overpaid on the first year of these contracts until AFTER this season is over because we still don't know what we're getting yet...

Reactions: blueswede22

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I think you'd have a hard time finding anyone to disagree with the premise that they were offered more money than their performance to date had earned them. But as Bowman added in the article, "The players can probably grow into those deals, but as of today, they're way above their actual performance." I think that's where the organization is at, and as a fan I agree. The risk (in draft picks) was relatively low, and the reward could be very high. If one or both fail to pan out, we can easily move on in two years.
If you factor in the acquisition cost to get two young first round players coming into their prime years, its a steal. The fact that the acquisition price is being paid TO THE PLAYERS in the form of overpaying them a bit rather than to Edmonton makes no difference to us. Draft capital, prospects returning NHL players, retained salary, its all just currency to move player contracts and assemble your team. Edmonton got their compensation picks, and they also got a little cap space....but overall they'd have been a hell of a lot smarter to move those guys for returns of their choosing which could strengthen their Cup contending status. Instead, they got very little they can make use of right now.

The Blues on the other hand, have the cap space to spend, so the acquisition cost is pretty palatable. And if the Blues pro scouts got this one right, it will look like a terrible fleecing in a couple years.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
This is just a crappy summary of a good Athletic article that has a headline designed to stir the pot. Bowman was perfectly level headed and was simply explaining why the Oilers didn't/couldn't match the offer sheets. That doesn't mean he believes we were stupid for offering the contracts.

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
I don't see this as Bowman talking shit, just stating facts. Everyone knew this already but if we offered them 1.5 and 1 mill each for 1 year the Oilers would have kept them. Gotta give to get.
Since his first post-OS presser, Bowman has better crafted and rehearsed his replies and sound bites. That first presser was a little cringey and laden with excuses right off the bat. He is much clearer and succinct in the Athletic interview.

blueper

Mar 29, 2012
December 7th in Edmonton. Mark it down. Oil fans are going to be ready to unleash some pent up emotion ... especially if they seem to be a defenseman short of being elite. Holloway will be ready for some cheap shots. How will Broberg handle all of that attention? Must watch TV at its best.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
December 7th in Edmonton. Mark it down. Oil fans are going to be ready to unleash some pent up emotion ... especially if they seem to be a defenseman short of being elite. Holloway will be ready for some cheap shots. How will Broberg handle all of that attention? Must watch TV at its best.
I expect the fans to give it to both of them and boo every time they touch the puck. But I don't expect the players to taking cheap shots or looking to punish either physically (beyond what you want to try with every opposing player). Players understand that this is a business and every player in that locker room knows that they would have taken above-market contracts if given the opportunity.

You very rarely see ex-teammates punishing a guy for leaving in free agency.

I think it is a must-watch game for the atmosphere and to see how our new guys handle being the focal point of the fans/media. But I don't expect on-ice hatred or silliness.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
L

I expect the fans to give it to both of them and boo every time they touch the puck. But I don't expect the players to taking cheap shots or looking to punish either physically (beyond what you want to try with every opposing player). Players understand that this is a business and every player in that locker room knows that they would have taken above-market contracts if given the opportunity.

You very rarely see ex-teammates punishing a guy for leaving in free agency.

I think it is a must-watch game for the atmosphere and to see how our new guys handle being the focal point of the fans/media. But I don't expect on-ice hatred or silliness.

As well the fans should. I think everyone's gonna have that game circled on their calendar. It's a good thing for the sport and I miss the heated rivalries of the past.

Tryblot

Oct 4, 2009
It seemed like every game I watched, holloway was noticeable. He was always hard in the play, good skater with good size. I had absolutely no reason to focus on him but I seemed to see him every game, whereas someone like rnh was completely invisible.

Is he paid more than his production? Sure. He seemed like a $5 million+ player in the playoffs. That contract already seems incredible.

I mean, maybe it was a fluke playoff, as I didn't watch them in the season. We'll see, I guess.

Memento

Future Authoress.
Sep 12, 2011
St. Louis, Missouri
I hope we get a Blues Oilers playoff series this year lol

I'm scared...because I totally agree. I want a playoff series against the Oilers where Holloway and Broberg get a point-per-game, and where we end up sweeping them.

I can't believe that I'm agreeing with Dizee. Guys, do I need extra therapy? Have I unknowingly traveled to some alternate timeline/dimension? I'm terrified that I agree with the one person I've never agreed with.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Celtic Note

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
It's ok, Drai's retaliation for stuff he doesn't like is ultra low effort tripping so Rob Thom should be relatively safe.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad