GDT: Oilers @ Flames 8pm MT CBC

How many points does McDavid score tonight?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Everything I've read and seen on the Smith deal was:

Hickey, rights to Chad Johnson and a conditional 2018 3rd round pick for Smith. The condition was it became the Flames' 2018 second round pick if the Flames made the playoffs this season. Since they didn't make it, Calgary gives up the 3rd.

The Hamonic trade was:
2018 first (no conditions)
2018 second (no conditions)
2019 conditional second, which can be moved to 2020.

That's what would have made it interesting IF they made the playoffs as Treliving sold the 2018 pick in the Hamonic deal with no attached conditions on it. If they made it, the Coyotes would also be entitled to the Flames 2nd round pick per the Smith trade.

But as I said, it's a moot point as they didn't make it anyhow :laugh:.
The draft pick Arizona got is in 2019, not 2018.

Flames make playoffs in 2018 = Arizona gets CGY's 2019 2nd; NY Islanders get CGY's 2020 2nd
Flames miss playoffs in 2018 = NY Islanders get CGY's 2019 2nd; Arizona gets CGY's 2019 3rd

Hamonic ended up getting traded for Calgary's 2018 1st, 2018 2nd, and 2019 2nd. Smith goes for Calgary's 2019 3rd, Johnson, & Hickey.

The Flames still have their 3rd in this upcoming draft. It was never involved in any trade.

Last edited:

GodPucker

Sep 27, 2017
Mike Smith will do what he did last time. Stop playing like a garbage seive against us and then go play like garbage thereafter

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
I haven't listened to much Oiler talk lately but last time I did was when Lowetide was spewing crap about how we should be cheering the Flames on to make the playoffs so it lights a fire for the Oilers management etc.
Yeah - no. I mean I get the sentiment but - no.

As an Oiler fan in Edmonton pre NHL, I was raised to despise, I mean absolutely f***ing hate everything about Calgary. The fact that I enjoyed working at my head office there, skiiing so close to the city,and enjoying the shopping and entertainment, always had to be hidden because of the disgusting Calgary Flames. Respecting the warriors through the years on that team could never be mentioned either!

So as we embark on another meaningless BoA, I'll watch, remembering the real ones, longing for that time when it mattered, and anxiously awaiting for those days to return.
Cheer for them to do well? Never! I secretly always want them to do ah.. ok, but just right behind us is fine!

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
The draft pick Arizona got is in 2019, not 2018.

Flames make playoffs in 2018 = Arizona gets CGY's 2019 2nd; NY Islanders get CGY's 2020 2nd
Flames miss playoffs in 2018 = NY Islanders get CGY's 2019 2nd; Arizona gets CGY's 2019 3rd

Hamonic ended up getting traded for Calgary's 2018 1st, 2018 2nd, and 2019 2nd. Smith goes for Calgary's 2019 3rd, Johnson, & Hickey.

The Flames still have their 3rd in this upcoming draft. It was never involved in any trade.

According to this, it's Calgary's 2018 3rd. The questionable part is what year the 2nd would be if they made the playoffs, as all online articles allude it may have become the 2018 second rounder had they made the playoffs.

Mike Smith trades - NHL Trade Tracker

I'm pretty sure Calgary doesn't have any picks in the first 3 rounds of this draft; here's Sportsnet's article on the trade clearly stating it's a conditional 2018 3rd.

Flames acquire goaltender Mike Smith from Coyotes - Sportsnet.ca

Last edited:

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
According to this, it's Calgary's 2018 3rd. The questionable part is what year the 2nd would be if they made the playoffs, all online articles allude it may have become the 2018 second rounder had they made the playoffs.

Mike Smith trades - NHL Trade Tracker

I'm pretty sure Calgary doesn't have any picks in the first 3 rounds of this draft, here's Sportsnet's article on the trade clearly stating it's a conditional 2018 3rd.

Flames acquire goaltender Mike Smith from Coyotes - Sportsnet.ca
CapFriendly has the trades and conditions on the pick.

Calgary Flames - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

The NHL never would have allowed it to be traded twice.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
BkNZ03X.jpg

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
CapFriendly has the trades and conditions on the pick.

Calgary Flames - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

The NHL never would have allowed it to be traded twice.

I still disagree and think Cap Friendly has it wrong or hasn't updated their site, Del.

Whether it's Sportsnet, TSN, NHL.com...whatever online published article/reputable source about the trade is out there, they all state the same thing that their 2018 3rd was sent to Phoenix with the condition if the Flames made the playoffs, it became a 2nd. Since they're eliminated from contention, their 3rd is officially Phoenix's

Satire

Nov 20, 2016
Hopefully the flames start on fire and Mcdavid gets 5 goals. I win the score and win, get a million dollars. Mcdavid passes Ovi in the scoring race. Mainboards erupts into garbage time comments.

Everyone wins.

Reactions: RegDunlop

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
I still disagree and think Cap Friendly has it wrong or hasn't updated their site, Del.

Whether it's Sportsnet, TSN, NHL.com...whatever online published article/reputable source about the trade is out there, they all state the same thing that their 2018 3rd was sent to Phoenix with the condition if the Flames made the playoffs, it became a 2nd. Since they're eliminated from contention, their 3rd is officially Phoenix's
When the trade was announced the year of the pick wasn't included in most articles (TSN and NHL both don't have the year). I think people just assumed it was for 2018 because it was tied to how the Flames did this season.

CapFriendly is almost always right.

Brian Burke in February:
“We don’t have a lot of picks — we’re not picking until [the third round of the 2018 draft], so we can’t use the deadline to pick up a rental player with a relatively high pick,” he said. “We’re not going into [2019] picks … unless it’s an extraordinary circumstance.”
Brian Burke: Flames likely won't use draft picks to acquire rental player - Sportsnet.ca

Last edited:

kevy999

Sep 12, 2016
I'm actually psyched for this one. Anything can happen, but the Flames have thrown in the towel. It's a perfect chance to run up the score and possibly put McDavid in the Rocket race
you get award for dumbest post of the day lol the flames will have their best game against the Oilers tonight so for you to think it will be easy is quite laughable. The game means nothing other than not wanting to get beat by your rival so the Oilers better have one of their best games to beat the flames. Anyone who doesn't think the Flames will be up for this one doesn't know much about hockey.

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
Hopefully the flames start on fire and Mcdavid gets 5 goals. I win the score and win, get a million dollars. Mcdavid passes Ovi in the scoring race. Mainboards erupts into garbage time comments.

Everyone wins.

And I will cheer very hard and loud for both McD and you at the cost of only a new F-150 thank you

Reactions: Oilers Propagandist

kevy999

Sep 12, 2016
Fudge off with wanting losses lol. No offense.

I’ll stop cheering for the oilers before I cheer for another loss in my life. I’ve had my fill. Even if it is a meaningless game at the end of the wasted year.
I agree, any fan who cheers for a loss has their own issues lol or a fan who doesn't mind if we lose. Had enough with this loser culture acceptance and the lame fans who don't care if we losee simply because we won't make the playoffs. Only losers don't care if their team loses. It is always good to win nomatter what the game means.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad