Proposal: Oilers fix their Defense

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Mr Kot

Jan 15, 2022
I would focus on a goalie first tbh. That being said, these seem like pretty good trades, though I am not sure if OTT is willing to eat that much cap for that period of time.

Reactions: TFHockey

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
No to both lol

I think having those two in our 2nd pairing would be a huge help and allow whomever we play in goal to have a better chance at winning a game or two.

The high picks also consider the cap savings. Both Players (Barrie and Kassian) could benefit from a change of scenery.

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
I think having those two in our 2nd pairing would be a huge help and allow whomever we play in goal to have a better chance at winning a game or two.

The high picks also consider the cap savings. Both Players (Barrie and Kassian) could benefit from a change of scenery.
The Sens and SEA decline both trades
1- Nelnyk isn't taking that terrible contract. The 1st upsets Barries contract, what are you actually sending for Zub??
2- Soucy is worth a 1st + on his own... why are they taking a scrub like Kassian and his contract for free?

Terrbile for any team not named Edmonton

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Kassian wouldn't be of any interest and is a cap dump in this deal but I'd take him if it got an unprotected 23 1st. I don't know if Edmonton will be a playoff team next season. Vegas will be good, Anaheim getting better, Vancouver, LA, Calgary are questionable like Edmonton and who knows what's gonna happen in SJ. So getting a potential lottery pick in a deep draft would be worth moving Soucy and taking on Kassian.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Kassian wouldn't be of any interest and is a cap dump in this deal but I'd take him if it got an unprotected 23 1st. I don't know if Edmonton will be a playoff team next season. Vegas will be good, Anaheim getting better, Vancouver, LA, Calgary are questionable like Edmonton and who knows what's gonna happen in SJ. So getting a potential lottery pick in a deep draft would be worth moving Soucy and taking on Kassian.

I'd bet one the Oilers being a playoff team, so a lottery pick really isn't likely. Just one fans opinion.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I'd bet one the Oilers being a playoff team, so a lottery pick really isn't likely. Just one fans opinion.

They might not even be a playoff team this year. Add in the fact that Nurse extension kicks in and Puljujarvi needs a raise and they may not be able to improve on that roster.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
They might not even be a playoff team this year. Add in the fact that Nurse extension kicks in and Puljujarvi needs a raise and they may not be able to improve on that roster.

Well, they've played their way out of contention right now, but I think only a real pessimist or a serious hater would think this isn't a playoff team. Of course they can improve on the roster, it will just take some work on Holland's part.

I think you just dislike the team.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Ottawa doesnt touch that.

Barrie is essentially a 7th dman
his transition game has dried up, he is allowing substantially more hd scoring chances
he simply steps on the ice and just gets destroyed for most of his shifts

zub's defensive impact is worth way more than that.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Yes to the Ottawa one, not that the Sens would bite. They don't need a Barrie type with Chabot and now Brannstrom playing well beside him.

No to the Seattle trade. I'd be than ok moving a 1st for Zub, but if we somehow managed that we need to save the other pick for a package deal for a high end goalie.

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Why do you hate draft picks?

And I understand how impressive Zub has been. Really stood out last season. But Tyson Barrie is the most prominent defenseman of the three in this thread, yet Edmonton's the one tossing out two firsts.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Why do you hate draft picks?

And I understand how impressive Zub has been. Really stood out last season. But Tyson Barrie is the most prominent defenseman of the three in this thread, yet Edmonton's the one tossing out two firsts.

I'd like to revamp the 2nd pairing and I want guys who'll improve the team today and who have some term so they improve the team moving forward. Soucy and Zub seem like those kinds of guys. The Oilers also have to move some salary out to make those kinds of trades happen. I figured the 1sts would be enough to entice the other teams to do it.

Some fans disagree but bluntly many posters wouldn't make a trade unless it is so lopsided that even NHL 2022 wouldn't allow it. Just the reality on HF.

A defense core like:

Nurse - Bouchard
Soucy - Zub
Keith - Ceci

Seems reasonably good enough to me. Playoff worthy, if you will.

Add a goaltender while moving Koskinen and maybe the Oilers have something.

Reactions: GOilers88

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Oh great... and where is the goalie?
We've traded away 2 firsts, MAYBE a 3rd and we STILL don't have a goalie?
If that happens I'm laughing myself to death.

Fixing the D should help whomever we get to play in net. A goalie trade for Edmonton can be in another thread.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Oh great... and where is the goalie?
We've traded away 2 firsts, MAYBE a 3rd and we STILL don't have a goalie?
If that happens I'm laughing myself to death.
Agreed. We need to have enough assets to make a move for a goalie. Trading our firsts isn't the right solution. I could get behind something around Zub (or similar RD) as I think we need to trade Barrie and restore some balance to our blueline (too many puck movers, not enough defenders). But we need to keep some type of assets around to move for a goalie.

And as much as some want Keith on our 3rd pair, he's got a 2nd pair contract and isn't doing awful in that role. He's got a bigger cap hit than we like, but we can't afford to bring in a replacement 2LD and still fix the other holes that we have. We should be looking at an upgrade to 3LD by actually getting a good 3LD instead of expecting to find a 2LD and shuffling our 2LD to 3LD. Koekoek sucks and Russell should be our #7D at best.

Last edited:
Reactions: thadd

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad