Confirmed with Link: Oilers Do Not Match Broberg ($4.58M X2) & Holloway ($2.29M x 2) Offer Sheets | Oilers acquire STL 3rd '28 & Paul Fischer for Futures

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What Would You Do?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Reasonable Oil Fan

NO KOOL AID PLEASE!!
Oct 7, 2022
In the Real World
Yeah, if Rasmus Andersson played in any other market he'd be the perfect target but no way in hell would Conroy entertain trading him to the Oilers. Too bad because he's an ideal mix of age, skillset and multi-year affordable contract on a team that's in rebuild mode and looking to accumulate futures.
I dont understand this part, why wouldnt he? They are at the beginning of a scorched earth rebuild, if the offer is good why wouldnt they take it.
I know people point to the Tanev trade but there are two things to remember, Tanev had a say of where he wanted to go and we dont know for sure (I know a first was mentioned) what we offered and how it compared to the Dallas offer

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
At some point we have to let go of this idea. Nurse is sliding.
the thing there is that it doesn't matter what we think or not. There are no options there. We can't buy him out. We can't trade him. The only thing we can do is hope he does well.

This was part of the reason why the ONE thing I wanted out of managmeent this summer was a 2nd pair RD. Maybe none were available and so I can give that a pass. I was okay with the idea of a Nurse-Broberg pairing partly because at least Broberg was an unknown player with a high ceiling who might surpass Nurse. With Stecher or Emerson there, we will be depending on Nurse to carry the pairing. It could happen. The team will be fine in the meantime, but not a cup threat. So I'm on board with the team doing whatever they feel the need to do to land that player. It looks like the only real business this summer is to get those contracts for Bouchard and Drai, and then the next focus point will be the deadline.

grego

Jan 12, 2005
Saskatchewan
It would suck if Broberg develops in St.Louis into a top pairing d-man. If he just becomes another Kulak or Ceci, that is nothing to cry about.
I agree I would hate to see him develop to be good. But the two year contract has no certainty for the oilers. To commit that hard for a player that has a foot out the door and has wanted a trade before is riskier to do.

I the line run I would rather keep space for Bouchard to reup over Broberg

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
There is definitely potential for this to not be the case as early as late next year. And what about years after that? Are we trying to win 1 cup or multiple? This team is f***ed in 3 years.
It seems apparent that this team is going to build around the core, and add its complimentary pieces through means other than drafting and development. I don't think its the right approach to go all in on veterans, but its what seems to be happening here. That's obvious when you see the lowball offers that the team gave Broberg and Holloway.

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
I really hope we get an actual top 4 RD. There’s actually been a fair amount of turnover on this lineup, so to still have that hole is a little frustrating.

We’ll see what Bowman does, he’s got fresh eyes and doesn’t hold the same loyalties as Holland did. The defense needs a little restructuring in the next couple years.. add that RD for Nurse and if Nurse is still declining I think you cut him loose somehow.

Also C is a little weak imo. Top 3 lines are solid but Ryan is a geezer, I don’t mind him on the roster but I’d like a better 4C to really solidify all 4 lines.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Broberg sounds like he wanted out regardless.
He probably did, and it is probably the right move for him to go to a team with openings on the left side and few prospect competing for spots. I expect he will get a prime spot in St. Louis, and the chance to shine there, where here, he was going to be relegated to playing right side, until the team decided to trade Kulak (or Nurse's contract magically disappears).

Reactions: JeffSkinner53

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
giphy.gif
He’s even wearing blue and yellow :laugh:.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I really hope we get an actual top 4 RD. There’s actually been a fair amount of turnover on this lineup, so to still have that hole is a little frustrating.

We’ll see what Bowman does, he’s got fresh eyes and doesn’t hold the same loyalties as Holland did. The defense needs a little restructuring in the next couple years.. add that RD for Nurse and if Nurse is still declining I think you cut him loose somehow.

Also C is a little weak imo. Top 3 lines are solid but Ryan is a geezer, I don’t mind him on the roster but I’d like a better 4C to really solidify all 4 lines.
Yeah, one of the painful parts of losing Holloway, is that I was hoping they could transition him to C over the next couple of years, where he would eventually take over for Henrique as 3C. We don't have much in the system for C options either.

Reactions: Lay Z Boy GM

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
this team's defensive depth has been shred to pieces, and we weren't great defensive group to start with

Ekhlom-Bouchard...excellent top pair, but Ekholm isn't getting any younger
Nurse- dogshit last year, and needs a calm steady d-man to play with, which we don't have...have to hope and pray he rebounds to carry the 2nd pair (lol)
Kulak- good #5 but again, has peaked and is what he is...not a top 4
Emberson- I'm not convinced based on a 30 games sample size he's any good, or can play a regular shift on a good team...another "hope and pray" d-man
J. Brown- strictly a #7 too who PKs a bit
Stetcher- depth d-man brought here for league min...a #7 on good defensive teams...too small, doesn't provide much offense...I guess he's feisty

Yep, I know who is on the defence.

I'll add one in an alternate universe:

Broberg - really good for two playoff games and mediocre after and before (at best). Might be able to step up, but a risk, and could become a major issue making $4.5M if he drops the ball.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
There is definitely potential for this to not be the case as early as late next year. And what about years after that? Are we trying to win 1 cup or multiple? This team is f***ed in 3 years.
That's certainly true, especially with Kane and Holloway, if Kane's health continues to decline and Holloway were to elevate his game. Unfortunately, Kane being traded isn't an option at the moment, so until his NMC becomes a modified NTC, he is going to take that spot in the lineup.

Losing Holloway bothers me a bit more than Broberg. Broberg has struggled to step up at times and has developed slower. Holloway's holdbacks have been injuries, and if he can stay healthy, I expect he will be a contributing middle six winger for some time. Broberg has the raw tools to be great as well, but he hasn't put it together yet. He has just as good of a chance of being a Jake Bean or Brian Lee as he does of becoming a top defenseman, but I still wish we could have seen what he becomes as an Oiler instead of a Blue.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
well, far and away the biggest issue on this team right now is RD.

We're one Evan Bouchard injury or regression away from absolute disaster.

Hope you've got the chops, Stan.

Reactions: Lay Z Boy GM

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
How did we get Fischer and an extra 3rd thrown in? Blues felt bad they f***ed us so hard and just threw it in?

Of course trash media in the Bowman presser doesn’t ask.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I dont understand the hate for Broberg at all.
The Oilers f**ked him around IMO.
I see this sentiment a lot and it utterly confuses me.

How in the world did the Oilers dick Broberg around? He clearly wasn't ready until this past season and even then, he struggled in camp and preseason and didn't take a spot when there was an opening.

He wasn't ready for the NHL, flat out, you can see it in the small sample sizes that he wasn't ready for the physicality of the NHL and struggled immensely with strong forechecks, plus he wasn't using his legs to skate out of trouble because he wasn't confident at this level. He also had a bunch of nagging injuries that kept setting him back.
He then got sent down to the AHL, which he had little interest in doing because he thought he was entitled to a spot, and flourished in the AHL playing top minutes in a pro league.
What happened as a result? He got his shot and took advantage of it because he was more ready at that time likely due to the Oilers preaching patience with him.

For once, the Oilers take the patient approach with a Dman and it's met with vitriol from some of the fanbase.
I'm not calling you alone out on this but I don't know what you and others saw in him that made you think that he should have gotten a full time opportunity in the NHL sooner than he did. Now, another organization is likely to reap the benefits of the Oilers proper development of this player, sadly.

Last edited:

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
How did we get Fischer and an extra 3rd thrown in? Blues felt bad they f***ed us so hard and just threw it in?

Of course trash media in the Bowman presser doesn’t ask.
What kind of questions were you expecting the media to ask? Management did well with the situation they were in.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad