Confirmed with Link: Oilers Do Not Match Broberg ($4.58M X2) & Holloway ($2.29M x 2) Offer Sheets | Oilers acquire STL 3rd '28 & Paul Fischer for Futures

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What Would You Do?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
He was fine. Likely nervous and clearly coached to come back to pat, non controversial answers. Add that the teleconference link wasn't good adding a couple mumbling questions which he didn't hear and had to ask to repeat or clarify the line of questioning. This was the equivalent to going to the dentist. Not fun but necessary. His persona will change once he hits his new city.

That's the last good thing I have to say on this guy.
He literally said 5 words over and over until I went to sleep.

" Very, Excite, yeah, well, uhhh"

jk aside I turned it off knowing there would be much of nothing in the interview.

• Haha
Reactions: Behind Enemy Lines

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
He couldn’t grab a job at left d when it was available. They had no choice to get options and then played him on his off side since those openings were the only ones available.

Unfortunately for him his development coincided with our need to start challenging for a cup and we couldn’t coddle him.
I think that more accurately Brobergs development coincided with a team that is very very weak on the right side.
The cup issue only comes into for me because the team wasnt in a psition to match at this point in time.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I really don't view the Broberg situation as acceptable considering all the time developing him, and the pain in a losing season that gave us the 8th overall.

If we don't want to pay him that, fine I guess, but management should have known that this situation was going to happen. If we weren't going to open a spot for Broberg to play, and all the communication from Broberg was that he was still disgruntled, we should have just traded him. We could have got someone really good or at least a 1st rounder.

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
If I'm trading one of those guys for a Dman, he better be fairly young and signed long term. The Oilers can't throw away valuable futures for quick fixes and/or older players.
I feel like this is exactly what long term contenders do. Consistently trade futures, drain the cupboards and push every year. The team has its core. Everyone else is a rotating cast.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
I remember a few short years ago when the price of a D was Taylor Hall. Now the price is an offersheet. just saying.

By no means am I comparing Broberg to anybody but he was a highly touted D pick that had done his development years. Orgs like this told us guys like this were literally impossible to just pick up and that NHL is hard league to make deals...

That said the org itself made fiction of this sort of thing getting guys like Ekholm, Barrie etc.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
He literally said 5 words over and over until I went to sleep.

" Very, Excite, yeah, well, uhhh"

jk aside I turned it off knowing there would be much of nothing in the interview.
Absolutely. He was well coached to steer back to soft, pat answers. This is the 'tough decision, it's business' pro forma interview that has to be done. It will change on friendly new home soil when he moves there.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
He looks like Marv from Home Alone.
giphy.gif

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Click on line combos.
I don't have time on ice for the AHL but he did play with Desharnais a bunch.
But in Brobergs 1st AHL season their most played d had 4 lefties, 2 righties but I know for a fact he played with Desharnais and Kemp at times. I think most of the lefties took turn at right. Which is common.
His second season he played 7 games so....doesn't really count.
this year in the AHL Was left d heavy but if I remember seeing lineup cards I think Gleason played more right d than Broberg.
Again though when a team is developing a top 10 pick it isnt the same as a player who doesnt have the same level of pedigree.
The Oilers (as confirmed as best we can) were playing Borberg on both sides with no real commitment to allowing him to develop on his natural side.
How important is that?
Even though they are paying Broberg more than he is worth I will bet you money that St Louis doesnt play Broberg at all on his off wing at all.
Why...because they have the depth (which the Oilers didnt have) and they understand the importance of Brobergs development on his natural side. That from a team that didnt even invest their top 10 pick on the player like the Oilers did. So this notion that every dman develops the same way (by playing both sides without commiting to the natural side) just isnt true.
Its primarily dictated by the organizationl needs.

The proof is in the pudding...if the AHL team or the Oilers had the depth to play Broberg on his natural side they would have. It was clear that lack of depth which determined the development path for Broberg.

That IMO was a problem for the player and the organization. That lack of organizational RHD depth is still an issue as well.

Stealth1616

Oct 12, 2019
Right shot d-men are not at all common in their league, especially guys with decent contracts and who teams will want to trade.

Who exactly is out there that wound move the needle? Andersson is the perfect target however there is no way Conroy will trade him to the Oilers. In fact he would probably trade him to another contender at a lower cost just to screw us over.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Kulak isn't a first team all NHL defenseman, he's a 30 year old third pair left side only guy with limitations and crashed when they tried him at 2nd pair. and he's getting paid $2.75M, who was in trade discussions last week.

If he's here after the deadline I'd be surprised.
He's one of the best 3rd pair anchor defensemen in the league. The coaches have all loved him, and he has helped guys like Desharnais transition to the NHL much easier. Sorry, you don't trade guys who excel in their role for rookies who don't absolutely steal the spot - which Broberg didn't - if you are trying to contend. This mentality was fine when we were rebuilding, but we're contending now. Contenders don't sacrifice key playoff performers for prospects.

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
I remember a few short years ago when the price of a D was Taylor Hall. Now the price is an offersheet. just saying.

By no means am I comparing Broberg to anybody but he was a highly touted D pick that had done his development years. Orgs like this told us guys like this were literally impossible to just pick up and that NHL is hard league to make deals...

That said the org itself made fiction of this sort of thing getting guys like Ekholm, Barrie etc.

That’s the price when you have zero top line d men. We now have 2 and as we have seen teams that already have some are more likely to get others than teams that don’t. With 4.4 million in accrued cap at the deadline we should be able to land a 4/5 d man pretty easily if we go by the landscape of other contending teams and the prices they usually pay for one.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Losing Ceci, Broberg and Holloway has for sure made us worse
the list is longer. We just made the cup final playing Desharnais and McLeod as well. I get it though. The core of the team is secure.

A lot is depending on Nurse bouncing back. It's funny how much we bash Ceci because we didn't like how he looked with Nurse, but everyone was bad with Nurse. So I guess we will see how Stecher or Emerson look there but it will require Nurse to have made some kind of serious bounce back.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
That's the result. The questioning is how and why Oilers management let this situation get beyond its control to manage.

- Why their offer was $1.1 million with external reality of the first big cap bump and several real and present threats by GM's and media that offer sheeting was a viable threat?
- Did they increase their initial low ball offers at any time for two critical young players pencilled into their roster plans now within a month of training camp?
- Were you worried about the organization's relationship with Broberg whose manager had asked for a trade after not play on the NHL team and farmed out to play critical minutes in the minors? If yes, what steps did your management group do to prospectively mitigate a prospective hostile offer sheet? Did you explore prospective sign and trade options?
- How did this situation reach this point today with its management group's leadership experience including a super agent versed in leveraging client value through CBA conditions and a new hire from a Championship team whose key role was to help find value to mitigate cap crunch and erosion of talent within mature, winning window phase of this organization?
- Jeff Jackson in his first media avail noted that development was a critical priority for this organization moving forward. With uneven minutes on the NHL roster and up and down time in the minors for several years for both players lost today, was this a factor that led to your two organization's two best players to choose to leave a team that recently competed for a Stanley Cup? How do you envision preventing this for current and future prospects like Matthew Savoie?

Last edited:

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad