Confirmed with Link: Oilers Do Not Match Broberg ($4.58M X2) & Holloway ($2.29M x 2) Offer Sheets | Oilers acquire STL 3rd '28 & Paul Fischer for Futures

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What Would You Do?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I like both players but wouldn’t agree that they’re “golden” or “found money”. There is a massive amount of risk involved with offersheeting support players. It could go well but of course it would be best if it blues up in their face
The only risk I can see is some cap space (maybe $3M for this season) and a couple of draft picks that arent likely going to be NHL players.
St Louis comes out looking pretty good to me because there is a lot of potential upside.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Ah yes, the totally not-unhinged lunatics at CP celebrating means the Oilers are toast. They laughed at us all last year right up until game 7 of the SCF.

My $0.02 - the real value in players like Holloway and Broberg is in outperforming small dollar contracts. Paying them 2x or 3x that value is death in a cap world, and especially so when we are in a tight win-now window.
I made it perfectly clear. The Oilers are screwed if they matched the offer sheets... the Oilers are screwed if they don't match the offer sheets. Now we're screwed. Don't try and play me.

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
The only risk I can see is some cap space (maybe $3M for this season) and a couple of draft picks that arent likely going to be NHL players.
St Louis comes out looking pretty good to me.

A bubble team with their top D on LTIR can afford to overpay players. They couldn’t attract a free agent that was suitable so went this path. I don’t get the excitement about it. If it happened to another team I wouldn’t have kept too many tabs on it

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
They haven't won a Cup yet. That's been the goal since McDavid was drafted and only finally did we actually break through. I don't think it's a stretch to say anything less than a Cup win this season is a failure.
That’s really all you have left to hang your hat on. If they don’t win the hardest trophy to win in sports then they are failures.

But even if they did we all know you’ll find some reason to discredit it. They had an easy path, X team was missing X player, they should be winning multiple cups.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
The future is looking grim

Better win a cup lol

Not yet it's not.

Still have to get long term contracts done for 2, 29, and 97 but once that happens(and there is no reason to believe it won't) this team will always have a future. Fans on here are going to have to get used to a revolving door of players around them though.

Reactions: AM and Oilhawks

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
It's an easy day to trot out a "play the field" argument. Nonetheless, I understand the angst having more pieces of a Cup Final team walk out of the dressing room.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
I like both players but wouldn’t agree that they’re “golden” or “found money”. There is a massive amount of risk involved with offersheeting support players. It could go well but of course it would be best if it blues up in their face
They could be gone on a 1/3 buy-out as early as year 1. Easy, smart risk to take with Krug on LTIR and a core group of young forwards they've pivoted around. If this were the Oilers snaking this kind of deal we would all be ecstatic. Hard to get quality young talent just beginning their peak performance years with all the development time bought and paid for by another sucker.

I can easily see Holloway in Calgary by year 3 as the Blues onboard their top heavy forward prospect pool.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
That’s really all you have left to hang your hat on. If they don’t win the hardest trophy to win in sports then they are failures.

But even if they did we all know you’ll find some reason to discredit it. They had an easy path, X team was missing X player, they should be winning multiple cups.
Seeing as they have the best player on the planet and another who's up there? Yeah, not winning the Cup would be a failure. The players themselves said "Cup or bust" prior to last season. How would not winning the Cup with arguably a top five player of all time be considered anything but a failure? McDavid is that good.

What is the end goal of any sports team? To win the championship. As a wise man once said, "You play to win the game."

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
Not yet it's not.

Still have to get long term contracts done for 2, 29, and 97 but once that happens(and there is no reason to believe it won't) this team will always have a future. Fans on here are going to have to get used to a revolving door of players around them though.

Yup. And as much as Bowman was not exactly an amazing GM (particularly towards the end of his tenure), this was a GM that had to be used to that same thing between their Cup wins. Hawks fans couldn’t get attached to support players

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
Not really. I understand that it would have been an overpay, but one look at our current defense makes me worried about the upcoming year.
I'm on the fence.

On one hand, even with that defense, the team has shown it can easily outscore its problems. I think this is okay because it gives them time to see what they have in Emberson and Stetcher. They will have to play them in the top 4 in some combination so we will all clearly get a chance to see what's there. Rotating cast in the 2/3 RD spots while you accrue capspace without Ceci. Go as big as you can at the deadline. Barring a complete collapse mentally from the team out of the gates like last year, I see no reason to believe they can't cruise through the regular season on that lineup.

On the other hand, last year happened and no amount "yeah but" ensures something else can't happen again.

I'm okay with things as they stand, and will absolutely be a deer in headlights if they sink out of the gates.

JordanGalhanth

Apr 21, 2012
Not yet it's not.

No different than Pittsburgh with Rust and Sheary being in and out so that the Pens could afford Crosby, Malkin and Letang.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
If you really believed this, why would you just have propped them up as geniuses? You’re the one who brought it up (for reasons no one will ever know), no one else.
they are every bit as gullible and a bunch of fanboys to boot

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
A bubble team with their top D on LTIR can afford to overpay players. They couldn’t attract a free agent that was suitable so went this path. I don’t get the excitement about it. If it happened to another team I wouldn’t have kept too many tabs on it
I am not saying that the Oilers should have matched so I agree with you there.
I am just saying that St Louis did just fine this past week. They lost a little cap space and some minor draft picks (that likely wont turn out ot be NHL players) for a potential top 4 D and a bottom 6 speedy and physical winger.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Lets assume that I am making that mistake...what sense does it make in terms pf player development to flip a developing player from side to side when he is trying to get his footing in the NHL.
Borgerg was played on the right side almost predominantly in Bakersfield because the RHD depth was weak down there too.

So lets play this out...Broberg is expected to make the next step by having him play in the developmental League (the AHL) and then flipping him back to his natural side when he is in the NHL...he predictably struggles.
So the teams solution with a struggling young dman was to put him on the wrong wing?
How is that going to help a struggling young player expidite his development?
Broberg wasn’t predominately played on his offside in Bakersfield. He played some games on the left and some on the right like an absolute ton of left handed D have to in the AHL.
last year he spent 80% of his ice time on the left in the NHL (pretty common amount for most left handed D as shifts move around etc)
Year before that
79% of his time on the left.
This year? Team was entirely healthy and played limited minutes in the regular season. He spent 35% of his time with Kulak where they both played their off side, and then he spent 50% of his time with right handed partners.
The majority of his time was spent on his left side overall in the NHL but like most left handed D they all spend time on their right as there is simply not enough righties to go around.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad