Confirmed with Link: Oilers Do Not Match Broberg ($4.58M X2) & Holloway ($2.29M x 2) Offer Sheets | Oilers acquire STL 3rd '28 & Paul Fischer for Futures

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What Would You Do?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I agree. They messed up by having him play as a number 7 in the NHL getting 5 minutes a night instead of playing full time in the AHL bumping up his value as he tore that league up.
I agree...although he needed to be playing full time in the AHL on his natural side so he could actually start to develop properly. Then the inevitable struggles that come with making the jump to the NHL arent nearly as daunting.
As a fan of this team its sad that didnt happen and now the team has virtually nothing to show for a top 10 draft pick.

bleatbloop

Aug 20, 2024
Yeah pretty sure Podkolzin isn't any replacement for this. How soon we forget what we have:

That was a super play by Holloway and huge goal and he scored 11 this season in 62GP, pretty much around the amount you expect from a limited minutes young player.

That was such a huge goal with Oilers down 3-2 games against Vancouver. Without that goal we might not even come out of the series.

But here we are as fans being told to "get over it" by other fans. Some of us take longer to forget, I was a big fan of Holloway.

Yes I was a fan of Holloway as well but the fact he saw what was going on here and chose to f*** us over less than 1 million while being a rookie player, seeing guys like RNH taking cuts to make another run -- opting to go to a lottery team for a small pay raise is absurd.

You can bet the management and players all said f*** off kid.

Broberg being a totally different scenario who was routinely screwed over here and chose to take an extra 7 million dollars with St. Louis. Don't blame him one bit.

Holloway f***ed us for what's going to be pennies on the dollar right at the start of his career.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Yeah, I didn't realize his English was so...undeveloped. He didn't understand some pretty basic questions, and didn't answer the questions he was asked in the least.

I thought the same thing about his English but I didn’t want to say it lol. Obviously his English is much better than my Swedish, but it sounded literally the same as when he was drafted.

Reactions: ManofSteel55

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Maybe they arent done.
Stop hanging around with Jimmi. ;)
I've been thinking since yesterday that those Blues picks might not last terribly long in our organization. I hope we make a trade (don't really expect one soon, but hoping) for an upgrade on RD (Dante Fabbro please), and announce a Draisaitl extension all today to watch the Oiler haters completely melt down.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Perry looked cooked. I still do not get bringing him back or that Brown Dman signing.

Maybe they think the Perry curse will reverse. Go to Cup lose. Do it again and win..lol
I rolled my eyes at the Brown signing too, but he brings in most of what we lost with Desharnais at half the price. I'm convinced that he is our "the PK is struggling, dress this guy" player and will watch games unless nobody else can figure out how to kill a penalty.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
So dumb when you really think about it if neither player in the eyes of the organization was worth matching than you didn't see them as long term oilers which begs the question why the f*** didn't you trade them for buchnevich? Adding him could have been the deciding factor to a cup win and you wouldn't part with two players you do easily walked away from two months later

The difference is that back at the TDL they thought of them both being part of the future at a combined ~$3 M in cap hit. When that cap hit increased to $7 M, the internal valuation of the players changed dramatically. This is to be expected.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I've been thinking since yesterday that those Blues picks might not last terribly long in our organization. I hope we make a trade (don't really expect one soon, but hoping) for an upgrade on RD (Dante Fabbro please), and announce a Draisaitl extension all today to watch the Oiler haters completely melt down.
I agree.
The bright side is now (assuming Kane goes on LTIR) they now have some cap space and some extra draft picks to bundle up and use to improve the team at the TDL if not sooner.

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
Possibly but the team f**ked this up bigtime and now they paid a price.
Broberg would have been a fool not to take that deal and money clearly wasnt the only factor.
St Louis wont f**k up in the same way because they will play Broberg on his natural side and give him a solid D partner.
Much like the Oilers did with Bouchard pairing him with Ekholm.

I dont think for a minute that Bouchard would have developed like he did without Ekholm. Just imagine if the team forced Bouchard to develop on his off side?
It wouldnt have gone well and luckily Bouchard was a RHD (and they didnt have a weakness on the left side) so they didnt have to force him to play the left side.
As an Oiler fan I take no pleasure in posting this stuff on Broberg but I am not going to just pretend that this is all on the player either.
It isnt...most of this is on the organization and more specifically Ken Holland.
I doubt it holds any weight with many here, but I feel like Duncan Keith should get a shout out even if to a lesser extent, like Ekholm.

Rookie Bouch played quite well with Keith that season. I don't care what people think about him or the deal that got him here, he was a great influence on a rookie Bouchard, and for all the same reasons you rightfully imply on Ekholm.

Basically I agree with you. It's a shame the team had no one on the right side to break in Broberg. But it is what it is. I'm still fully confident with Kulak anchoring the third pair for at least the next couple of seasons.

Broberg couldn't lock up that 2nd LD spot. Not faulting him, he was and is a young developing player. But he couldn't do it and the team needs to contend so Ekholm was brought in. That made it basically impossible for Broberg to lock down a spot on his natural side without blowing the doors off the league, which he hasn't yet. So if while I admit the loss sucks, if he really wants to play top 4 minutes on his natural side, Edmonton wasn't going to be the place. Not with Nurse here but that's an entirely separate and tired conversation.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Yes I was a fan of Holloway as well but the fact he saw what was going on here and chose to f*** us over less than 1 million while being a rookie player, seeing guys like RNH taking cuts to make another run -- opting to go to a lottery team for a small pay raise is absurd.

You can bet the management and players all said f*** off kid.

Broberg being a totally different scenario who was routinely screwed over here and chose to take an extra 7 million dollars with St. Louis. Don't blame him one bit.

Holloway f***ed us for what's going to be pennies on the dollar right at the start of his career.
I'm more cheesed about losing Holloway than I am about losing Broberg, given what we would have had to pay them both.

Reactions: Captain Fantastic

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Will never watch but imagine this is somewhere in it:

“I’m looking forward to getting shelled in Krug’s old spot and becoming a whipping boy in first couple weeks of the season”
He's found money for Blues fans and an improbable gift that fell from a perceived failed summer. He and Holloway are golden. Conversely being matched they would have been next on the bbq after the reality it was Oiler management group who failed to secure their cheap contract options.

I'm pissed and bitter too. Never liked the Blues and now there are two more reasons.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Perry is a waste of $1.15M.
The team doesnt have the cap space flexibility (primarily because of bad contracts) to throw around $1.15M on players well past their best before date.
Contracts under 1.25M (roughly) don't affect our flexibility, as those players can all be waived and sent down with the full cap hit going down with them.

LemmyUlanov55

4th line grinder
Apr 3, 2016
I kinda expected the Oilers to let both of them walk.
Cap hell and navigating it well forces you to make some harsh calls and I think this is one of them. Drai, Bouch and Connor all need to be paid in the next 2 years and the org will need every penny to make it happen. As much as I want to believe Broberg will grow into a 4M+ player, at the moment he isn't and can be replaced, same goes for Holloway.

Overall, I think Bowman did well, bunch of picks and more capspace, they'll add at the deadline for sure.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
The two year contract on Broberg is what I really didn't like.

Had it been a four to six year contract where you can believe maybe he grows into having a few years at a deal it was much better.

But now Broberg is unlikely to outperform his contract for any time in his career.
It would suck if Broberg develops in St.Louis into a top pairing d-man. If he just becomes another Kulak or Ceci, that is nothing to cry about.

Reactions: Oilslick941611

CanadasTeam99

Jul 22, 2024
Today was embarrassing for the Oilers. The league is laughing. Giving away 2 of your best assets for almost nothing is inexcusable.
We have a window now. They won't be laughing when EDM is on a playoff run AGAIN.

I want to see if Bowman can get a #3/4 dman.

Also, good fu**** riddance to sleepy old man Holland

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Hold on a second, are you seriously implying that those 2 players only reason we're cup contenders? At this point we have lost bottom-6 forward and #7 dman,who can jump up and down in roster. Ofcourse both have lots of potential , but neither are irreplaceable at this point and definitely they're not worth contracts they signed for.
No, we need depth. Lots and lots of depth.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
To me, this is a foolish foolish mistake. These two players are drafted and developed by our organization and right before they are about to “pop” they’re gone. It’s way too short sighted. Everything into this decision has to do with this year. Jeff Jackson acknowledged that we need to build the pipeline up. Now we’ve dug a deeper hole. This will really hurt us when Ekholm and Kane are declining. These two players were trending to step into big roles going forward.

The thought process all about ‘maybe’ being able to add someone at the deadline.. give me a break. We’re prioritizing players like Kulak and Kane over our future.

That said, I will also be heavily cheering against both of these players from now on. Holloway f***ed up..

Reactions: CanadasTeam99

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad