Confirmed with Link: Oilers Do Not Match Broberg ($4.58M X2) & Holloway ($2.29M x 2) Offer Sheets | Oilers acquire STL 3rd '28 & Paul Fischer for Futures

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What Would You Do?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

CantHaveTkachev

Jealousy
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
The chances of Woodcrap givng either Broberg or Holloway a ton of responsibility and minutes was nill. They weren't for whatever reason his guys.
to be fair, Tippett blocked Bouchard in 2021 and it wasn't until Woody came along that they unlocked his potential

I could see the same thing in St.Louis with Broberg

Pucklington

Zum Bäcker.
Mar 24, 2008
Köln
I wonder if Holloway thought Edmonton would match. I feel like St. Louis assumed they would match Holloway.

On a personal level to go from the Stanley Cup favorite to a non-Playofg team might be tough.

Good for Broberg. I would do the same if someone offered me 3M raise...

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
Cap space along with picks near 45 and 75 will be used at some point to bolster the team before the playoffs. Hopefully the team starts better this season so the assets can be deployed strategically and not in a panic.

That being said, the current Oilers front office doesn't leak, so we could have a 2nd pairing RD in an hour and it wouldn't surprise me.

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
I dotn understand the hate for Broberg at all.
The Oilers f**ked him around IMO.

If the rumours are that he and every other LD weren’t willing to play on their offside, what were they supposed to do, trade Kulak for a maybe in a critical year? They just traded the only vet D they felt they could move on from and he was another RD. Bouchard would have been “f***ed around” if he was an LD too

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Sometimes. This is also the Oilers, where Broberg was essentially told he had a spot 2 years in a row and played his way out of it in the preseason.

you are right. Podkolzin or Perry will be in one of the spots but but there is an open spot for a rookie till Kane comes back.
Podkolzin is far from a lock and the likelihood here is that he could burn out as quickly as he did even in Vancouver where spots were freely available. The Nucks considered this player basically unusable. Pulled him out of the trash for a couple playoff games out of injury desperation.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Podkolzin is far from a lock and the likelihood here is that he could burn out as quickly as he did even in Vancouver where spots were freely available. The Nucks considered this player basically unusable. Pulled him out of the trash for a couple playoff games out of injury desperation.
Well Podz is happy to play the 4th line than Holloway. He hits and shoots the puck more as well.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
As if he didn't have shitty camps here? He took lots of hard hits and didn't move the puck quick enough by my eyes until these last playoffs. I still wonder what happens when the league has the book on him and start targeting him more physically.
Why didnt the Oilers maximize his development by actually playing Broberg on his natural side?

Likely because the teams RHD depth was so bad that they had to try and force their best skating prospect to play the right side.
Then when fans yelled about how Borberg is struggling the narrative that it must be the player popped up and got embraced.
Its a flawed narrative IMO. Very shortsighted.

fuswald

I'd Be Fired
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton
I am ok with replacing Broberg (overpriced, slow progress and something coaches don't seem to like) and Holloway (overpriced flames fan).

Was a good summer of forwards and the d still may need more. Need a Vinnie. Maybe Emberson can be a smaller Vinnie.

All in all excellent summer so far. We are going to lead the west or better is my guess.

Reactions: CanadasTeam99

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
People were saying we could just bury the Brown contract last season and that we had a 10 game window to just do that. Brown was around one of the worst players in the league to start the season and could barely stay on his feel. We didn't send him down. The org refused to do that.

Theres limited reason to believe that either Perry or Brown will be sent down. So that the point about burying is meaningless.

We'll have the players up here and suffer them regardless of level of play seen.
Last season has absolutely zero to do with the fact that Perry and Brown contracts don’t impeded their ability to sign these players at all.

In the end Holloway to Podkolzin isnt the end of the world. Similar age, similar draft pedigree, only difference is Podkolzin has actually done something at the NHL level and is coming in at less then half the cost.

That said I still think Savoie is going to surprise this year and the kid still has 3 years of elc.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
If the rumours are that he and every other LD weren’t willing to play on their offside, what were they supposed to do, trade Kulak for a maybe in a critical year? They just traded the only vet D they felt they could move on from and he was another RD. Bouchard would have been “f***ed around” if he was an LD too
Kulak, Ekholm and Nurse are all proven. Nurse in a less desirable way of course. The left side is fine. The right side is where the question marks are. Emberson could be a really solid get. Knob knows his game and I doubt that we would've added hi if we thought that he was a 3rd pairing guy as we already have Brown and Stetcher locked up.

Reactions: Oilhawks

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Today was embarrassing for the Oilers. The league is laughing. Giving away 2 of your best assets for almost nothing is inexcusable.
Paying Broberg and Holloway a combined 7 million next year would have been inexcusable for a contender.
It was a no win scenario. At least now we have cap space to acrue and improve the team at the deadline

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
The other thing is that even players that were considered can't miss like Broberg and Holloway have been squandered. I mean these were top prospects and anybody seen them play figured they were over and above the garden variety we tend to draft.

Not only do we give these two players to STL is we've done all their development. We suffered the mistakes, the time spent on the players only to see the Blues benefit. Both of these are NHL players. Would be surprised if either doesn't make it in NHL.

Its a joke as well anybody thinking that the compensation is any kind of return to even think about. We lost two of our prized first round picks. We get later round pick salad as compensation.
Welcome to supporting a team who wants to win a cup.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Look at the cumulative age on the roster and the plethora of over 30's. Yeah how much future? Nothing about this roster is constructed for future.

What is our remaining window? 1-2yrs? Why would McDrai each sign up for 8 if the org isn't even setting the table for that? Its a big question.
This organization cut itself off at the knees failing to see a viable threat. They walked into a historic precedent setting double offer sheet that left them with marginal 2nd and 3rd picks. Oh and a charity 3rd pick and fringe prospect.

The Oilers leadership group of a super agent used to navigating the inefficiencies of contract negotiations and a Cup champion GM who was hired to mitigate cap crunch and talent erosion within winning organizations. Lots of old money - not the Rockefeller kind - tied up to key top of roster positions the next two to three years of the league's oldest team. More lifeblood assets needing to go out to address a gutted right defense side that was already average.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
I’d be very curious to know if Broberg and Holloway knew about each other’s offer sheet beforehand.

Seems like they probably would, but I don’t think there’s any obligation from St. Louis to bring it up.

Maybe Holloway didn’t realize Broberg was involved?

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Bourgault was a whiff and they seemed to get a more NHL ready guy in return so that's fine, getting Savoie for McLeod is fantastic so at least they parlayed those guys into other young players with upside and in Savoie's case, a top prospect.

Losing Holloway and Broberg who they developed in the system for 4-5 years for whatever reason whether it be previous management incompetence putting them in a cap crunch or mismanaging the RFA negotiations for ok picks is something that can really hurt this organization long term and sucks, quite frankly, just when the Oilers were reaping the fruits of their labor with these two. Holloway I can deal with even though I liked him, he's replaceable, but how do they replace Broberg's upside? Akey could be a player but he's years away, I like Wanner but he just doesn't have that level of upside. It's pretty barren beyond those two.

I don't know how you find another player like that unless you find a diamond in the rough miraculously or sucker a team like Buffalo to get a top prospect. It's going to hurt watching Broberg playing top 4 elsewhere for years while the Oilers are looking for someone to ease the pain of Ekholm aging out. It won't hurt much in the short term probably but they put a cap on their longer term potential by not matching this offer sheet.
Maybe Emberson turns into a top 4 Dman but while I'm intrigued by the addition that seems unlikely. Meh, I'm not going to cry over it for too long but it does suck losing these guys when we start to get attached to them and project them as long term solutions. It's a blow IMO.
As recently as yesterday I'm giving the org some praise for mitigating and moving out contracts to create cap space to match either Bro or Holloway or both. That they decided to match neither has me a bit owly this morning. I don't think thats any great message or move, and it makes a mockery of the prospects that the org has that they would look off BOTH of these. What are the current prospects supposed to think about how devalued these players were by the Oilers?

Losing both sucks, a lot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad