Confirmed with Link: Oilers Do Not Match Broberg ($4.58M X2) & Holloway ($2.29M x 2) Offer Sheets | Oilers acquire STL 3rd '28 & Paul Fischer for Futures

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What Would You Do?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Imagine choosing a bit more money early over playing close to home and family. Friends on the team and a chance at the cup for multiple years. The kid didn't think it through.
It’s easy to give away a couple million dollars of someone else’s money. Possibly he gets hurt and this is his last contract. That extra money matters. I’m sure he wishes he could be an Oiler but the team loading up on top 6 forwards may have also sent a message that they didn’t value him.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Look at the cumulative age on the roster and the plethora of over 30's. Yeah how much future? Nothing about this roster is constructed for future.

What is our remaining window? 1-2yrs? Why would McDrai each sign up for 8 if the org isn't even setting the table for that? Its a big question.
There's a very strong chance 5 years of Holland draft picks amounts to zero players with the team. Horrific.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
The two f***s return December 7th. I hope the crowd gives it to them.

I don’t really blame Broberg. He got offered an extra like 3 million per year. Anyone in his situation is signing that deal. Holloway can get f***ed though. Leaving for an extra like 500-800k per is ridiculous, and he deserves the boos that are going to come

McClelland

Aug 2, 2011
Bergen
So they cleared space, just to show that they can match,but didnt.

It is what it is, we lost 2 top prospect/players for practically nothing.

Not need to worry about be offersheeted for some years now i guess, none to worry about.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Both the Perry and Brown contracts in no way affected their ability to sign either player. Both can be buried with no cap penalty if needed.

This was a money decision for a couple prospects who are running out of runway and haven’t been able to outperform even the bottom end of a Cup contending roster.
People were saying we could just bury the Brown contract last season and that we had a 10 game window to just do that. Brown was around one of the worst players in the league to start the season and could barely stay on his feel. We didn't send him down. The org refused to do that.

Theres limited reason to believe that either Perry or Brown will be sent down. So that the point about burying is meaningless.

We'll have the players up here and suffer them regardless of level of play seen.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
I don’t really blame Broberg. He got offered an extra like 3 million per year. Anyone in his situation is signing that deal. Holloway can get f***ed though. Leaving for an extra like 500-800k per is ridiculous, and he deserves the boos that are going to come

He'll see the downside of what he signed up for when the Blues have to qualify him for $3M+ and just choose not to.

He's a prime candidate to join the "too good for a $1x1 deal, but not close to good enough to support my QO" club that just end up signing $1x1 deals repetitively as a UFA. This wasn't his deal to cash in on, that was the next one, but he may have just lost that unless he plays lights out.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Well Broberg being a big baby after shitting the bed until being sent down last year and then the playoffs can also get f***ed. I don't blame him for the financial decision but had it not been for him wanting to move on so bad this may not have gone down the same way. You wonder if the decision was made by Bowman and JJ to jettison both as an example of not being strong armed and if you don't want to be here there are others that do.

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
Yah its a fail. Anything otherwise is copium. You got rid of an appreciating asset right after construction. But if they didn't want to be here, what can you do.

And now McDrai can ask for more money.

If there was no cap it would be copium. Neither of these guys are worth the money they’re now being paid by the Bubble Blues

Reactions: frag2

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
It’s easy to give away a couple million dollars of someone else’s money. Possibly he gets hurt and this is his last contract. That extra money matters. I’m sure he wishes he could be an Oiler but the team loading up on top 6 forwards may have also sent a message that they didn’t value him.
After tax, agent fees etc, is it really that much more?

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
My post should read “JJ done nothing but instill confidence” not JJ has done nothing. I edited it. I’m always forgetting words, I’m worried about my mind haha
I totally hear what you're saying.
You are talking to someone that has to try and correct dyslexic posts virtually everytime.
It even affects they way I read a response sometimes.
There are times when even my proofreading fails.
If I am in a rush then everything falls apart...LOL

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
This is the Oilers. A prospect could be among the best playres in preseason and still not make the club. How many times in last decade have we even said the spots are all pre assigned.

There is zero chance Henrique is playing with two rookies.
Sometimes. This is also the Oilers, where Broberg was essentially told he had a spot 2 years in a row and played his way out of it in the preseason.

you are right. Podkolzin or Perry will be in one of the spots but but there is an open spot for a rookie till Kane comes back.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
I said it early on that Holloway's decision floored me. IMO we will miss the player but he missed out on being a local legend here for a little extra $ really early in his career. Broberg's decision I get and frankly if he doesn't want to be here then beat it. Holloway though? That one stings.

Holloway has a Hollow-head

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
My biggest concern today is that the Oilers have moved on from almost ALL the prospects they've had over the last several years.

Not just the two today but moving from Bourgault, McLeod, Oilers misfiring on tons of drafts.

Indeed the Oilers have two players in the lineup since Connor McDavid pick. Thats 10 f***ing years of drafting and two roster players to show for it. That is pathetic.

What other contending teams do so consistently poorly at draft or developing their picks or failing to utilize them and retain then?

As a result this team is among oldest teams in league. Older than last season.

I'm not assuming Podkolzin even makes the lineup. Whens the last time the Oilers even had any success with a Russian prospect?
Bourgault was a whiff and they seemed to get a more NHL ready guy in return so that's fine, getting Savoie for McLeod is fantastic so at least they parlayed those guys into other young players with upside and in Savoie's case, a top prospect.

Losing Holloway and Broberg who they developed in the system for 4-5 years for whatever reason whether it be previous management incompetence putting them in a cap crunch or mismanaging the RFA negotiations for ok picks is something that can really hurt this organization long term and sucks, quite frankly, just when the Oilers were reaping the fruits of their labor with these two. Holloway I can deal with even though I liked him, he's replaceable, but how do they replace Broberg's upside? Akey could be a player but he's years away, I like Wanner but he just doesn't have that level of upside. It's pretty barren beyond those two.

I don't know how you find another player like that unless you find a diamond in the rough miraculously or sucker a team like Buffalo to get a top prospect. It's going to hurt watching Broberg playing top 4 elsewhere for years while the Oilers are looking for someone to ease the pain of Ekholm aging out. It won't hurt much in the short term probably but they put a cap on their longer term potential by not matching this offer sheet.
Maybe Emberson turns into a top 4 Dman but while I'm intrigued by the addition that seems unlikely. Meh, I'm not going to cry over it for too long but it does suck losing these guys when we start to get attached to them and project them as long term solutions. It's a blow IMO.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Sometimes. This is also the Oilers, where Broberg was essentially told he had a spot 2 years in a row and played his way out of it in the preseason.

you are right. Podkolzin or Perry will be in one of the spots but but there is an open spot for a rookie till Kane comes back.
The chances of Woodcrap givng either Broberg or Holloway a ton of responsibility and minutes was nill. They weren't for whatever reason his guys.

Reactions: russ99

russ99

Jun 9, 2011
A quick way to make this less of an issue, sign Kevin Shattenkirk to a one year minimum deal.

He's 35 but had some game left in the tank with the Bruins, can start out at 2RD and drop back as kids improve or a deadline move is made.

Can help mentor the kids and is playoff battle tested.

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
Imagine choosing a bit more money early over playing close to home and family. Friends on the team and a chance at the cup for multiple years. The kid didn't think it through.
He really didn't. Stauffer also mentioned his family was going through something- and now he will be further away if they need him

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011

Loser fLames fan at his core, I guess

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad