Confirmed with Link: Oilers Do Not Match Broberg ($4.58M X2) & Holloway ($2.29M x 2) Offer Sheets | Oilers acquire STL 3rd '28 & Paul Fischer for Futures

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What Would You Do?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Yah its a fail. Anything otherwise is copium. You got rid of an appreciating asset right after construction. But if they didn't want to be here, what can you do.

And now McDrai can ask for more money.
Yep. But if the players truly didn't want to be here what is that saying too about the room or the org. For one its saying that the org is dedicated to players other than the ones they draft and will just insert whatever players they want over those they drafted. Its a heinous message for an org to send its prospects. At this poiint why even draft? (sarcasm)

The lifeblood of teams comes from its strong drafting. How ironic if Oilers fans forgot about all that. Our whole 5 cups are due to developing and drafting.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
I said it early on that Holloway's decision floored me. IMO we will miss the player but he missed out on being a local legend here for a little extra $ really early in his career. Broberg's decision I get and frankly if he doesn't want to be here then beat it. Holloway though? That one stings.
Imagine choosing a bit more money early over playing close to home and family. Friends on the team and a chance at the cup for multiple years. The kid didn't think it through.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
I said it early on that Holloway's decision floored me. IMO we will miss the player but he missed out on being a local legend here for a little extra $ really early in his career. Broberg's decision I get and frankly if he doesn't want to be here then beat it. Holloway though? That one stings.
Of the two Holloway was the more established and showed he could be an NHL player.

I thought his game was too reckless though, and he hurts himself, rather than the opposition hurting him.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
?

Top players should be concerned about the pipeline. No less than Mark Messier stated that the Kid line and Ranford were the reasons, the overwhelming reasons the Oilers won the cup in 90.

Looking off youth being critical in hockey is offputting. You need the fire that young players give. Especially when a team is getting old and fatigued.
I mean our third line this year could very well be Henrique and 2 rookies with Perry cycling in and out.
Some variation of Jarventie, Savoie, Lavoie, Podkolzin or someone else will probably start on that line.
Emberson is 24 and Wanner looks like he is developing well on the back side. We have youth there and we actually have room for them right now.

North

Jun 25, 2009
I could see Holloway wanting to stay here for a cup chance, but I got to believe he would have a much better career earnings in St.Louis. He'd probably get more minutes and in the top six as well. Maybe Holloway wanted out after we added guys like Skinner and Arvidsson
Not necessarily. St. Louis actually has a top six that would be hard for him to crack.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Well, holland isnt here anymore and JJ has done nothing but I still confidence that he can lead the organization. No use in crying over spilled milk
I am just acknowledging that the Oilers f**ked this up.

That being said...Holland leaving is indeed a good thing. He wasnt all bad but IMO his bad was really bad.
Bowman has started off pretty good IMO.
JJ has done some good things too.

There is plenty of hope moving forward. Lets see how the season unfolds.

Reactions: Mr Sakich

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
This is creative math. The Oilers had offered Holloway only 1.2M. His two yr deal in STL is a whole 2.3M over what it would have been here. Really around TWICE the pay. Not sure why people are using the ask price, of 1.8M in the calculation. The Oilers weren't prepared to pay Holloway that here.

Theres other aspects too, and the kind that make it increasingly difficult for young players to develop here. The unending scrutiny, blame, fans saying that Holloway is nothing, no loss etc. Just look at this thread. Holloway to most of the fans here is oatmeal.

So that instead he gets to play in a market that is an extreme fishbowl.

I'm sure Holloway and his agent are fine, I wish them well. Its the Oilers fault they are gone.
If only there wasn’t a salary cap.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
In what way do they have no future?
Look at the cumulative age on the roster and the plethora of over 30's. Yeah how much future? Nothing about this roster is constructed for future.

What is our remaining window? 1-2yrs? Why would McDrai each sign up for 8 if the org isn't even setting the table for that? Its a big question.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Committing to clowns like Perry, Brown, etc over the players an org actually drafts. What kind of commitment is shown from an org that does that?
Both the Perry and Brown contracts in no way affected their ability to sign either player. Both can be buried with no cap penalty if needed.

This was a money decision for a couple prospects who are running out of runway and haven’t been able to outperform even the bottom end of a Cup contending roster.

oilers4life5

Nov 6, 2007
City of Champions
Good thing the season doesn’t start today. And the playoffs seedings won’t be determined for a long time yet. I don’t get this board sometimes. Whole week of posters like jimmi running around frothing at the mouth and notsogreatkeith unloading the same tiresome little one liners every second page. OMG the sky is falling!

Bowman and Jackson calmly go out and bring in two decent young guys on cheap deals, trade a defenseman that 90% of this board agreed needed to go, AND gave the club some much needed cap flexibility. Yet people still have no faith. There is zero chance that these guys are done dealing. So let’s save the obituaries on the SC dreams for another day eh.
Sorry forget to be excited about losing some of our best young assets for peanuts and making our team worse. You are right, I don’t get this board sometimes. I have little faith after watching the managers this team has brought in over the last 15 years bungle it over and over.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Yep. But if the players truly didn't want to be here what is that saying too about the room or the org. For one its saying that the org is dedicated to players other than the ones they draft and will just insert whatever players they want over those they drafted. Its a heinous message for an org to send its prospects. At this poiint why even draft? (sarcasm)

The lifeblood of teams comes from its strong drafting. How ironic if Oilers fans forgot about all that. Our whole 5 cups are due to developing and drafting.
I don't think that is the message?
I think the message is when we give you chances, show you deserve them. When we give you a chance and you look good for a few games, we will give you another chance but you aren't suddenly worth a ton of money.

Our top players are Mcdavid, Draisaitl, Hyman, Nuge, Ekholm, Nurse and Bouchard. We drafted 5/7 of them. We are VERY loyal to our drafted players, even going as far as keeping most far longer than we should.

Broberg should have been trade 1-2 years ago for a RHD. Thats on Holland.

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
95% of people arent crying about the player. I cant really even think of many posters on here that were full believers of Bro.

People arent upset about Bro the player leaving, they are upset about the hole in the roster it is leaving.

I dont think its that hard to grasp.

No offense, but I find it kind of ironic that you called posters out for being purposely obtuse to prove a point and yet here you saw no one is upset about losing the specific player but just the hole it leaves. If losing the specific player isn’t worth getting upset over, how can it be a big hole that that players leaves?

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
Holland leaving is indeed a good thing. He wasnt all bad but IMO he his bad was really bad.
Bowman has started off pretty good IMO.
JJ has done some good things too.

There is plenty of hope moving forward. Lets see how the season unfolds.
My post should read “JJ done nothing but instill confidence” not JJ has done nothing. I edited it. I’m always forgetting words, I’m worried about my mind haha

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
I mean our third line this year could very well be Henrique and 2 rookies with Perry cycling in and out.
Some variation of Jarventie, Savoie, Lavoie, Podkolzin or someone else will probably start on that line.
Emberson is 24 and Wanner looks like he is developing well on the back side. We have youth there and we actually have room for them right now.
This is the Oilers. A prospect could be among the best playres in preseason and still not make the club. How many times in last decade have we even said the spots are all pre assigned.

There is zero chance Henrique is playing with two rookies.

Shanahanigans

Jun 16, 2011
While I wasn't a fan of Foegele and McLeod at the ends of their times here those 2 and Holloway offered a lot of speed to the team. My fear on top of still being too soft for my liking is the team being too slow on average.
I loved all 3 of those players, I thought they were a nearly perfect NHL 3rd line. Mcleod could stand to be a bit (well a lot) more tenacious but then he'd be a 2nd liner instead of what he was. They'll be missed, and especially their youth and speed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad