Confirmed with Link: Oilers Do Not Match Broberg ($4.58M X2) & Holloway ($2.29M x 2) Offer Sheets | Oilers acquire STL 3rd '28 & Paul Fischer for Futures

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What Would You Do?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Theres no doubt that drafting and development under Chiarelli and Holland has been terrible. Guess we will see if it improves under Jackson.

I do think one of the problems with Hollland is that by the time a players ELC is up we have no idea what the player is. Some of it can be chaulked upto a playoff team but overall I think it was a poor job done in this particular regard.

I am not even going to go into Chiarelli because he was a straight garbage GM.

This organization (GM, coaches and leadership core) really need to figure out a way to incorporate youth and depth into the team better.
The other thing is that even players that were considered can't miss like Broberg and Holloway have been squandered. I mean these were top prospects and anybody seen them play figured they were over and above the garden variety we tend to draft.

Not only do we give these two players to STL is we've done all their development. We suffered the mistakes, the time spent on the players only to see the Blues benefit. Both of these are NHL players. Would be surprised if either doesn't make it in NHL.

Its a joke as well anybody thinking that the compensation is any kind of return to even think about. We lost two of our prized first round picks. We get later round pick salad as compensation.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
From the sounds of things, Holloway didn't want to go. And ultimately, this could hurt his long term earnings. He had a chance here to play with big guys due to injures and on paper will be a bottom 6 guy in St Louis too. Has a chance to win a cup here but years away in St Louis.

Holloway is for sure a potential loss for what he COULD bring in the future but based on what he brought last year, he was already replaced.
I could see Holloway wanting to stay here for a cup chance, but I got to believe he would have a much better career earnings in St.Louis. He'd probably get more minutes and in the top six as well. Maybe Holloway wanted out after we added guys like Skinner and Arvidsson

Reactions: Gordy Elbows

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I don't think bonuses are allowed on contracts except ELCs and 35+ deals. Friedman said that our final offer to Broberg was 1.1 x 2. That's a sizeable underpay imo
1.1 mill for a player with 80ish NHL played games who spent pretty much the entire year in the AHL who played 10ish decent to good games in the NHL this year is absolutely not a sizeable underpay. Maybe 200-300k short

Reactions: Oilslick941611

Pass the Saitl Sauce

Apr 30, 2015
I am absolutely not bullish or high on our prospects but like...
Savoie is a high end prospect who imho will be a player, O'Reilly JJ seems pretty high on and his eye for talent seems pretty good, Akey and Wanner have NHL futures on the back end.
We have 2nd round picks etc which can be used to trade for players and free agency still exists.

Drai and McDavid would be moving into bad teams to fit their contracts and they definitely wouldn't be there together. They want to win NOW and the team is doing what it can to make that happen, 4-5 years from now is 4-5 years from now. Who knows what the league looks like then.

We could also always do a quick retool and gain assets there as well.
I don’t disagree at all but it now looks like there’s no solid plan in place past this and next season, and a Draisaitl long term contract would bury my worries

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I could see Holloway wanting to stay here for a cup chance, but I got to believe he would have a much better career earnings in St.Louis. He'd probably get more minutes and in the top six as well. Maybe Holloway wanted out after we added guys like Skinner and Arvidsson
Maybe, I don't see him playing above any of ST Louis top 6. So he is going from Henrique to Faska as a center. Kind of a downgrade.

Shanahanigans

Jun 16, 2011
Still, it's just horrible luck in a way, that when we found these Dmen that upgraded our team in a big way, Ekholm and Kulak, that they had to be LDs. Our key Dman in the pipeline being a LD as well becomes awkward when we have Nurse, Ekholm and Kulak all blocking any realistic path to earning a spot, and all 4 Dmen don't really do well on their off side.

Even for someone like me who wanted to match on Broberg, I wanted him as an eventual Ekholm replacement, but that would take 3 years or more to happen. So it would mean putting someone on their off side. That could have worked but it is one more handicap on this whole mess working out.

But, to avoid this short term awkwardness we've increased the odds that this team will age out in the near future. We might be able to get by with these bargain UFA deals, but imo we really need a core of younger players
Another thing too is that our back end has been supremely healthy these last 3 years, which is quite rare. Broberg never had a true opportunity to show what he could do for a month or two on his natural side.

Reactions: Mr Positive

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I don’t disagree at all but it now looks like there’s no solid plan in place past this and next season, and a Draisaitl long term contract would bury my worries
I mean fair.
McDavid and Draisaitl want to win and that always comes at the cost of the future. However as long as we have them and Bouchard, we have a chance.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
Do you realize how little sense this makes?
Hey Broberg...we know that you wont develop properly on your off wing but because we have literally no depth on the right side (in the AHL or the NHL) we are going to use you on the right side.
If you struggle and then speak out about how it isnt working then you will be labeled a problem.
WTF?
What kind of player development is this?
The real question if we had our LHD sorted out why didnt we trade from a position of strength over the last 2 seasons?

BlackDogg

There is nothing to do in Mockingbird Heights
Oct 3, 2015
The other thing is that even players that were considered can't miss like Broberg and Holloway have been squandered. I mean these were top prospects and anybody seen them play figured they were over and above the garden variety we tend to draft.

Not only do we give these two players to STL is we've done all their development. We suffered the mistakes, the time spent on the players only to see the Blues benefit. Both of these are NHL players. Would be surprised if either doesn't make it in NHL.

Its a joke as well anybody thinking that the compensation is any kind of return to even think about. We lost two of our prized first round picks. We get later round pick salad as compensation.
Yah its a fail. Anything otherwise is copium. You got rid of an appreciating asset right after construction. But if they didn't want to be here, what can you do.

And now McDrai can ask for more money.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Yes, I’m sure after all these years, those two are focused on nothing but prospects.
?

Top players should be concerned about the pipeline. No less than Mark Messier stated that the Kid line and Ranford were the reasons, the overwhelming reasons the Oilers won the cup in 90.

Looking off youth being critical in hockey is offputting. You need the fire that young players give. Especially when a team is getting old and fatigued.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
The real question if we had our LHD sorted out why didnt we trade from a position of strength over the last 2 seasons?
I can get behind this line of reasoning.
They basically lost him for nothing so at least using Broberg to help get a top 4 RHD would have made sense.
What they ended up doing made no sense.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
At the end of the day it’s likely the decision came down to wanting players who are committed to winning, committed to the team and who want to be here.
McDrai: we are not taking discounts just so Holloway and Broberg can get double, triple pay and lower our chances at the cup

BlackDogg

There is nothing to do in Mockingbird Heights
Oct 3, 2015
On the bright side, another reclamation project on the way:

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I said it early on that Holloway's decision floored me. IMO we will miss the player but he missed out on being a local legend here for a little extra $ really early in his career. Broberg's decision I get and frankly if he doesn't want to be here then beat it. Holloway though? That one stings.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Another thing too is that our back end has been supremely healthy these last 3 years, which is quite rare. Broberg never had a true opportunity to show what he could do for a month or two on his natural side.

Sometimes I wonder if it’s because they are healthy or that they are too stubborn to rest up.

On the bright side, another reclamation project on the way:

4C baby!

Reactions: BlackDogg

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
What high picks? Nearly all ahl players are cost controlled.

Oilers forward depth will be using sticks as canes and ekholm might be third pairing in 2+ years

For the record I hope Drai and mcdavid stay long term but they could have better situations in about 15 different cities around the league in 2 years
Savoie Podkolzin to start then there is the guy from Ottawa add in the two dmen we just got and the second and two thirds. We did a pretty decent job at restocking the cupboards. A very good chance the second for Broberg is a pretty high pick too. As for can Leon and Connor get more money somewhere else sure they can but the only teams that can afford both would be bottom feeders. Do you think they want to start all over again with a bottom feeder after being this close?

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
I can get behind this line of reasoning.
They basically lost him for nothing so at least using Broberg to help get a top 4 RHD would have made sense.
What they ended up doing made no sense.
Well, holland isnt here anymore and JJ has done nothing but instill confidence that he can lead the organization. No use in crying over spilled milk

Last edited:

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton
My cope for Broberg is that Darren Ferris was going to push him out of here regardless. Holloway hurts a little more but he will ultimately be replaceable as well.

Can't really say how good or bad these moves are until we know what they are going to slot in as a second pair RHD.

I do think Broberg will be a legit player. Great skater and strong on the breakout. He had his injury concerns though, as did Holloway.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I said it early on that Holloway's decision floored me. IMO we will miss the player but he missed out on being a local legend here for a little extra $ really early in his career. Broberg's decision I get and frankly if he doesn't want to be here then beat it. Holloway though? That one stings.
Holloway followed bad advice from his agent and I’m pretty sure he regrets it badly right now.

Reactions: Shanahanigans

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
?

Top players should be concerned about the pipeline. No less than Mark Messier stated that the Kid line and Ranford were the reasons, the overwhelming reasons the Oilers won the cup in 90.

Looking off youth being critical in hockey is offputting. You need the fire that young players give. Especially when a team is getting old and fatigued.

I can promise you, they aren’t.

The main advantage young players give a team now isn’t the “fire” that may or may not be a thing. It’s being contributors while they’re still on reasonable contracts.

That advantage, particularly with Broberg, disappeared with that offer sheet.

Pavel10

Nov 10, 2023
Broberg is different than those guys because his ceiling was on another level. Also the situation is different because we are an aging contender now without much in the pipeline. I figured that we would prize youth more now, and Jackson even said he wanted to focus on youth from now on. But, ultimately a team like ours needs to focus hard on the present.

This is why offer sheets exist. A rebuilding team like St.Louis likes the idea of spending cap space to invest in the future. They have cap to burn anyway. Imo the money that St.Louis offerend better represents their total value (actual + potential), than our offers.

But, I must say that I'm happy we at last got Emerson and Podkolzin for decent deals, with low trade and cap cost. They are a downgrade but you never know. I like that we at least don't make it a total loss
You don't know if Broberg is on another level. These are all opinions at this point. Time will tell. He has had injury issues and he has never played a full NHL season at this point.

What we do know is that there have been people acting like the sky is falling even when Caleb Jones is traded.

The team cannot take a gamble on a pure prospect at that dollar cap hit.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Good comment on the playoff bonus money, hadn't thought of that. But how much is that and isn't ST Louis expected to be in playoffs this season?

It’s not a ton for McDavid, but it’s potentially like 10% of Holloway’s next deal. It’s like 200k each if you win the cup, but only like 10k for a team like St Louis if they sneak in and get knocked out first round

I don't think bonuses are allowed on contracts except ELCs and 35+ deals. Friedman said that our final offer to Broberg was 1.1 x 2. That's a sizeable underpay imo

It’s not a bonus paid by the team. It’s paid by the league. There’s a pool of money that goes to the players based on each team’s playoff finish. So the Oilers players all got like 100k from the league last year

Reactions: Mr Positive

North

Jun 25, 2009
Seriously this. Oilers are looking like they have no future now past 2 seasons so putting myself in Drai shoes I’d sign a 1 year and leave as UFA the same year as Mcdavid to teams that can compete with a future vs what the oilers look like in 2 years.

Where’s the incentive for our stars to stay? Money? They can get that anywhere
In what way do they have no future?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad