Confirmed with Link: Oilers Do Not Match Broberg ($4.58M X2) & Holloway ($2.29M x 2) Offer Sheets | Oilers acquire STL 3rd '28 & Paul Fischer for Futures

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What Would You Do?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
so why did St. Louis target him and overpay him? they believe he can blossom into a top 4 d-man...which I agree with
I don't get the "he'll never be worth 4.6!" narrative
Because it cost them a 2nd round pick and a little bit of their overflow of cap space. There is no “he’ll never be worth 4.6!” Narrative. You’re making that up. It’s a gamble that he’ll be worth that , but for the blues it doesn’t matter if he’s ever worth it because cap space isn’t an issue. For the oilers it’s a massive gamble because of how tight to the cap they are.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
you need to have good assets to get good players back, no? Ekholm, for example, was traded for a 1st (something we don't have) and Schaeffer
Well for our 2nd pair we don't need an Ekholm level player. We would be looking at a good 2nd pairing guy which would cost a 2nd and a prospect at Schaeffers level (which we have a few).
At the deadline a 2nd and say one of Akey, O'Reilly, Savoie etc could get us a very good d.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
Reading comprehension is tough.

I never said we should match him. I very clearly have stated multiple times, we made the right choice to let him walk and we are good enough to survive with replacement level players. I also stated that I was very skeptical he would be able to adequately play the role coaching/management clearly had earmarked for him.

All I am saying, is that the coaching staff and management were clearly penciling him into that top 4 role and the plan was to audition him there on a cheap contract. It bought us time and potentially an easy fix for our top 4 if everything worked out. That plan is out the window and now we are scrambling with a few a guys who we NEVER expected to play that role hoping they can fill in.

Thats all im saying. Our plans were disrupted and their is hole in the plans we made. Now we have to audition guys like Emberson and Stetcher and hope they can fill in major minutes.
I dont think the team was penciling him int he top 4 at all. He was gonna start on his off side on the bottom pair.

Like i said last night, my grandpa is in the hospital in PEI and ive had a long day and night, so if i misread your post i apologize, based off your explanation we are in agreement on Broberg on everything except were he would be playing this season on the roster.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
so why did St. Louis target him and overpay him? they believe he can blossom into a top 4 d-man...which I agree with
Its a good bet for St Louis because they are not a contender and are building for the near future. They are banking by the END of the contract he is worth 4.6 or greater, not that he is that good now. For the Oilers we would need him to be worth 4.6 now and next year for it to be worth it, which its not.
Its 2 teams in entirely different situations.

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
Ultimately the question you have to ask is based on performance to date would you sign either of these guys to the deals they now have?

We made reasonable offers to both based on performance and they decided to wait it out and got significant pay increases.
I'm not really in the know about what was being offered to these two by the Oilers - any idea?

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
St. Louis has cap space, is in a re-tool and has zero expectations of competing for a cup this year. It isn't complicated to see why their situation is different.

You think they're taking a $4.5M swing on a career NHL/AHL tweener if they are expecting to win the cup this year?
That people can’t grasp this is amazing to me. It’s less complicated than navigating a traffic circle.

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
Did Edmonton lose the Cup because of defense or lack of depth scoring? Is Emberson-Brown-Stecher really that much worse than Ceci-Desharnahis-Broberg?

Lot's of overreacting here IMO. If Kane is LTIR the team has cap to sign another D. If he's coming back so be it.

Regardless, our forward depth is significantly better than last year with Holloway-McLeod

Davo Ikinzom

Nov 28, 2013
Edmonton
Reading comprehension is tough.

I never said we should match him. I very clearly have stated multiple times, we made the right choice to let him walk and we are good enough to survive with replacement level players.

All I am saying, is that the coaching staff and management were clearly penciling him into that top 4 role and the plan was to audition him there on a cheap contract. It bought us time and potentially an easy fix for our top 4 if everything worked out. That plan is out the window and now we are scrambling with a few a guys who we NEVER expected to play that role hoping they can fill in.

Thats all im saying. Our plans were disrupted and their is hole in the plans we made. Now we have to audition guys like Emberson and Stetcher and hope they can fill in major minutes.

The problem is Broberg is not a RD. They penciled him into a top 4 spot before last season too. He ended up having a bad preseason, got outplayed by Gleason/Desharnais and they still had him on the opening roster until the team imploded.

He was brought in during the playoffs to replace Desharnais on the right side and eventually they had to move him back onto the left side if I'm not remembering things incorrectly.

Reactions: gretzkyoilers

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Ceci and VD are entirely replaceable but losing the growth potential of Broberg is a big loss IMO even if it came at a $4.6m pricetag. Good luck finding another young Dman with top 4 potential, now they'll have to scour the market for the Sean Walkers of the world. Color me unimpressed.

If Broberg goes on to be a 10 year top 4 Dman on St. Louis, the Oilers brass will be kicking themselves for years to come and I think this is a good possibility tbh.
My biggest concern today is that the Oilers have moved on from almost ALL the prospects they've had over the last several years.

Not just the two today but moving from Bourgault, McLeod, Oilers misfiring on tons of drafts.

Indeed the Oilers have two players in the lineup since Connor McDavid pick. Thats 10 f***ing years of drafting and two roster players to show for it. That is pathetic.

What other contending teams do so consistently poorly at draft or developing their picks or failing to utilize them and retain then?

As a result this team is among oldest teams in league. Older than last season.

I'm not assuming Podkolzin even makes the lineup. Whens the last time the Oilers even had any success with a Russian prospect?

Forgot About Drai

Dr Drai the Second
Jul 10, 2009
Edmonton
I dont think the team was penciling him int he top 4 at all. He was gonna start on his off side on the bottom pair.

Like i said last night, my grandpa is in the hospital in PEI and ive had a long day and night, so if i misread your post i apologize, based off your explanation we are in agreement on Broberg on everything except were he would be playing this season on the roster.

No need to apolagize brother. Sorry if I came off harsh. Sorry about your grandpa. Well wishes!

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
How many times did fans panic when a samarukov, bear or Caleb Jones was traded? Find that there is an element of fan base that way over rates prospects on this team.

Broberg at the end of the day was a prospect and was not worth this obscene offer. St Louis is who knows how many years away from being a playoff contender and with a ton of cap space can behave silly.

It would have been silly to pay Broberg such an outlandish price when he's still a prospect at best.
Broberg is different than those guys because his ceiling was on another level. Also the situation is different because we are an aging contender now without much in the pipeline. I figured that we would prize youth more now, and Jackson even said he wanted to focus on youth from now on. But, ultimately a team like ours needs to focus hard on the present.

This is why offer sheets exist. A rebuilding team like St.Louis likes the idea of spending cap space to invest in the future. They have cap to burn anyway. Imo the money that St.Louis offerend better represents their total value (actual + potential), than our offers.

But, I must say that I'm happy we at last got Emerson and Podkolzin for decent deals, with low trade and cap cost. They are a downgrade but you never know. I like that we at least don't make it a total loss

Reactions: Drivesaitl

CantHaveTkachev

Jealousy
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
St. Louis has cap space, is in a re-tool and has zero expectations of competing for a cup this year. It isn't complicated to see why their situation is different.

You think they're taking a $4.5M swing on a career NHL/AHL tweener if they are expecting to win the cup this year?
no, I think they're taking a swing at Broberg because they see him as a future top 4 d-man, possibly top 2

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
you need to have good assets to get good players back, no? Ekholm, for example, was traded for a 1st (something we don't have) and Schaeffer

I’m not sure I understand. You’re complaining about losing Ceci but think it would take a 1st to get him (or someone like him) back?

Reactions: Oilslick941611

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
My biggest concern today is that the Oilers have moved on from almost ALL the prospects they've had over the last several years.

Not just the two today but moving from Bourgault, McLeod, Oilers misfiring on tons of drafts.

Indeed the Oilers have two players in the lineup since Connor McDavid pick. Thats 10 f***ing years of drafting and two roster players to show for it. That is pathetic.

What other contending teams do so consistently poorly at draft or developing their picks or failing to utilize them and retain then?

As a result this team is among oldest teams in league. Older than last season.

I'm not assuming Podkolzin even makes the lineup. Whens the last time the Oilers even had any success with a Russian prospect?
Kostin

Forgot About Drai

Dr Drai the Second
Jul 10, 2009
Edmonton
The problem is Broberg is not a RD. They penciled him into a top 4 spot before last season too. He ended up having a bad preseason, got outplayed by Gleason and they still had him on the opening roster until the team imploded.

He was brought in during the playoffs to replace Desharnais on the right side and eventually they had to move him back onto the left side if I'm not remembering things incorrectly.

Agreed! All things I was saying before this and why we shouldnt match. But judging by coaching comments, media, etc, they were shoehorning him into that spot and looking to pray

Reactions: Davo Ikinzom

North

Jun 25, 2009
I don’t get the belief he may do this in the next two seasons.

If he does, guess what? In two years we’re paying even more for him while the extensions for Drai, Bouchard, and McDavid come into effect.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
It sure feels like Holloway should be firing his agent after we didn’t match. You gain like a million dollars short term, but you go from having opportunity on the Cup favourite to not really even a bigger role (and with drastically worse players) on a bubble team at best. Long term, he probably costs himself substantially more than the million he’s getting. Not to mention, any Albertan that spends a significant chunk of their career playing here is going to have a heck of a lot of opportunities after retirement

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Did Edmonton lose the Cup because of defense or lack of depth scoring? Is Emberson-Brown-Stecher really that much worse than Ceci-Desharnahis-Broberg?

Lot's of overreacting here IMO. If Kane is LTIR the team has cap to sign another D. If he's coming back so be it.

Regardless, our forward depth is significantly better than last year with Holloway-McLeod
Shit if we don't use any of the LTRI till the deadline and we find out Kane will miss time till the playoffs? That gives us 9mill in players we can add thats up to 18mill with retention. Lots ofpotential options.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011

Because they have the cap space to take the risk?

I think lots of people wanted to keep Broberg because of his potential, but its a lot easier to do that when he’s making less. I also don’t understand the narrative that people think its a given hes going to break out and be a top 4 dman next year. He might but he might not.

Reactions: OilerTyler

CantHaveTkachev

Jealousy
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
I don’t get the belief he may do this in the next two seasons.

If he does, guess what? In two years we’re paying even more for him while the extensions for Drai, Bouchard, and McDavid come into effect.
wouldn't that a good thing? we could then trade him and get better than a 2nd rounder

Shanahanigans

Jun 16, 2011
These losses, especially the loss of Broberg, is another casualty of the Nurse contract. If the Oilers fully believed Broberg was ready for a top 4 role this year, they could've traded Nurse to a team that needed a veteran top 4 D if he made like 7 mill. Or worse case, used that extra money to sign them both. There will continue to be cap casualties on this team because Nurse is significantly overpaid, and no team will take his contract.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad