Confirmed with Link: Oilers Do Not Match Broberg ($4.58M X2) & Holloway ($2.29M x 2) Offer Sheets | Oilers acquire STL 3rd '28 & Paul Fischer for Futures

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What Would You Do?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

McBigYak

Nov 4, 2015
Calgary Alberta
Oilers are rolling into the season with largely the exact same D outside of a guy the entire fanbase wanted shot into the sun and never seen again.

They get what is likely to be an equal level replacement back for him plus FINALLY some cap flexibility and now their D core is suddenly going from top 5 in the league to bottom feeders.

Absolutely comical commentary on here.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
These guys are all garbage.

Can't really argue with that. But that was me setting a 4mil cap (the max they can bring in with 50% retention) and going from there.

Imo Emberson and Stecher are fine in the #6 role (and I like either next to Nurse). Imo the bigger need is upgrading Vinny and Ceci's old role and getting a dependable crease-clearing defenceman. Larsson or Savard at 50% likely being the best fits out there.

russ99

Jun 9, 2011
OK so I'm board with the opinion that this is a defense that needs an upgrade.

But you guys think Broberg at 300% of his projected value was the answer here?
Value is how much someone will pay for it. His projected value would assume Woodcroft never jerked him around or benched him for a simple mistake and he wasn't called up to sit in the pressbox last year. That Oilers lowball offer value was out the window.

Regardless, had he signed earlier in the RFA window, he wasn't taking what the Oilers offered. So lets say 1/$2.25 is more realistic. so thats double and in a year with expected improvement in his game it's negligable how much of an overpay.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Both McDavid and Draisaitl are very good students of the game who could very well be okay with keeping Broberg just in the cold boardgame logic of maximizing talent

As for the lone wolf thing that is very untrue. Lots of posters want to keep Broberg even at this number. My take on Broberg is not that he is some slam dunk guarantee that he will be a top 4 Dman, much less top pairing. I want us to keep him because he is by far our best chance to develop that player, and that a 2 year deal is not that much of a risk. A team like Utah would take him in a second if we wanted to trade him next summer. But, imo Broberg has a very good chance at being worth more than 4.6 aav very soon, especially after ditching Ceci, which should boost his minutes
C'mon man, you're Broberg posts are out there. I read lots of them.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Why? It doesn’t hurt anyone to give an offer sheet. The downside is the overpayment, which would happen anyway.
I'm saying they would've been signed before the offer sheets were tendered. That contract is a huge hamstring especially given his play the past couple years.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
That has more to do with Broberg not developing at all for multiple years, to the point of needing to get a guy like Ekholm to slot in the position Broberg should have been in. Our top 2 LD should have been Nurse and Broberg for more than a decade, Broberg simply did not have a killers mentality. Do you remember what he looked like to start the year? He was TERRIBLE. Lost every race for a puck battle even though he's one of the best skaters in the entire league.
You do know that Bakersfield was playing Broberg on the right side too.
You dont think that hindered his development at all? I mean why would Holland insist on playing this player on his off side all the way along? I know that the team was weak on the right side but in all honestly I think the Oilers f**ked up with this player in multiple ways.
Now that St Louis has Broberg I doubt very much that they will repeat the same mistakes the Oilers made.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Imagine if the oilers just went out and landed 2 young top 15 picks with cup experience for just a couple middling picks and cap space. Imagine if they did that back in like 2016? We would have burnt the city down in celebration.

It was always “You have to trade the league MVP to get Adam Larsson” type rhetoric when we needed a D-man, but now its “Oh yea, just flip a couple bucks and a 2nd”

The Oilers are Player Value Anti-Matter. We are an eternal black hole.
Hard to believe we exist at all at this point. Something in the water, the resilience of fans..
I thought we had turned cormer and were starting to care about developing prospects.

I was wrong. I cant believe we let Broberg walk here.

McHelpus

Jan 16, 2021
Again I ask. How is a young D looking good against decent QoC despite being on a terrible team being spun as a bad thing?
How can you look at this dcorp and say "oh this is much better"

Broberg was suppose to replace Ekholm in a few years (now they have nothing). You are putting faith in some American who will most likely walk when given the sliver of a chance.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Weegar and Rasmus Andersson are the best fit on the Oilers. It's a question if Calgary wants to deal with us or not. Or we need to get a 3rd team involved

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
1724165146061.png

russ99

Jun 9, 2011
The good news regarding Emberson is that he is a natural RHD.
That should help assuming he is at least a low event player on D.
Essentially he needs to be the anti Nurse.
I really hope they don't set the kid up to fail putting him with Nurse.

Defsta

Dec 1, 2004
I'm saying they would've been signed before the offer sheets were tendered. That contract is a huge hamstring especially given his play the past couple years.

You know Broberg wanted out in the mid season, so what makes you think it had changed? Prob their agent told to wait for offer sheet so why hurry to sign a contract?

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Two million isn't an overpayment.
I get leaving for a rival stings, I feel the same way about Podz but I took part in many convos here about how well he was playing and the positive effect he had with Nurse, or how he was a big part of turning things around.
No cap space for Desharnais.

And what, he had two good games with Nurse then it fell apart.

In the regular season.

Two playoffs in a row he started good then collapsed.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
Value is how much someone will pay for it. His projected value would assume Woodcroft never jerked him around or benched him for a simple mistake and he wasn't called up to sit in the pressbox last year. That Oilers lowball offer value was out the window.

Regardless, had he signed earlier in the RFA window, he wasn't taking what the Oilers offered. So lets say 1/$2.25 is more realistic. so thats double and in a year with expected improvement in his game it's negligable how much of an overpay.

2.25M is still like double what his results to date would indicate he should be paid.

You can talk about how the Oilers jerked him around some and you might even be right but that's not relevant to the price point at all.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Weegar and Rasmus Andersson are the best fit on the Oilers. It's a question if Calgary wants to deal with us or not. Or we need to get a 3rd team involved
I am not all that confident the Flames will deal either player to the Oilers but I sure would welcome either player.
Both are natural RHD's.

Reactions: Canovin

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Ceci was playing as our 2nd pairing right shot and is better than Emberson or Stecher. Broberg was going to make Ceci tradable and was going to play the 2nd pairing in his place. They were always going to trade Ceci to clear cap space once they re-signed Stecher and Broberg.

The bottom 6 of our D went from: Nurse/Broberg, Kulak/Stecher to Nurse/Stecher, Kulak/Emberson. That is a downgrade on the right side for both pairings. Our D was already league average-ish, and now its near the bottom.
No.
Ceci was going to start the year on the second pairing and it was up to Broberg to steal that spot from Ceci over the course of this upcoming season.

Broberg has shown flashes of competence, but he's done nothing to prove he any more than a compeltely unproven prospect with potential to become something better.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002

I don’t see how. If the Oilers weren’t going to give Broberg $4.58 million a year when they actually had cap space, they weren’t going to do it because they have slightly more cap space.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Again I ask. How is a young D looking good against decent QoC despite being on a terrible team being spun as a bad thing?
It shouldn’t be. It is a small sample size though in a low pressure situation.
All we really know is he has shown potential to play well however it’s too small of a sample to definitively say if it’s repeatable.

Reactions: TopShelfGloveSide

Kaniac

Sep 11, 2018
This hurts but ultimately Oilers couldn't have matched. This is their cup window and they can't use that capspace on a couple of unknown prospects. They'll accrue capspace and hopefully trade for a RD version of Ekholm at the deadline.

It sends a big "f*** around and find out" to everyone else on the team. It shows them that the Oilers aren't afraid to let players go. They are a worse defensive team right now but seeing how aggressive JJ wants to be, I don't think bringing in a RD will be an issue.

Emberson could be the next Forsling, he's the perfect age for a break out and had good stats to back it up during his small window on an absolutely terrible team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad