Post-Game Talk: Oilers dig a self-inflicted grave

mcdingdong

Mar 21, 2019
I don't post for virtue or hold that its important to have every comment be credible on a hockey messageboard. Its clear, I think, when I'm shooting hyperbole or just getting some venting out like everybody here does. If you hold me to some different standard than you hold others to then thats on you. You're selective in these kinds of replies to me and said nothing to the other poster that was calling the club "entitled Assholes" or that the club has "bs Culture" or that the club was "embarrasing" last season and that the team has "shitty leadership".

Indeed all kinds of hyperbole exists here and is constant, and again everybody having those days. Is it that I make specific player comments that is the reason for these interventions by you? I used to defend Nurse here in earlier seasons but he no longer deserves that, defense. Skinner its unlikely he wins me over and the comments will keep coming and hockey players are public game. I respect good to great players that have value. I tend to deride players that do not add much to a club.

Finally I'll state what I have before. Public figures are free game. No rules exist here that we can't diss players within reason. The rules are around that we don't do that with other posters. But to the small segment of posters here that think referring to Skinner as fat (he is for a hockey player pro athlete) you sure wouldn't have wanted to see the dozen posters that used to call former goalie, Roloson, a pedophile, and would suggest that they dislike him and don't trust him because he looks like a pedophile. Those comments were offensive, they crossed lines imo, you think I crossed a line calling Skinner fat or a clown after a game in which he was abysmal giving up 5 goals in 13 shots. In a game in which Skinner himself said he would want back and that the loss and goals against were on him. Its nice that you feel that way but I'll post in my own way and somebody will dislike that and others will be fine with it.
"Other people have said bad things, so I do." I'll leave you to it. I didn't state you crossed a line, I said it hurt your credibility as a poster. And given the predictability of your comments with respect to certain players, whether they played well or not, I guess I will leave you alone and not read or respond to your posts - we all know what they will say anyways. Drai played pretty shitty in the opener eh?

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
"Other people have said bad things, so I do." I'll leave you to it. I didn't state you crossed a line, I said it hurt your credibility as a poster. And given the predictability of your comments with respect to certain players, whether they played well or not, I guess I will leave you alone and not read or respond to your posts - we all know what they will say anyways. Drai played pretty shitty in the opener eh?
I'll wait for you to interject the next of a 100X a season Drai is referred to as "Lazy German". I'll be waiting forever to see that interjection. Now I'm not even saying that crosses a line. To me it doesn't, just a silly comment, but your standard, you should be policing that.

You're being selective.

Fat Clown Skinner (lets see how many people I harmed saying that)

Attempts at credibility is the domain of virtue hounds. I'll leave you with that. Or that credible pursuit wouldn't even involve posting much on a hockey board.

Zguy370

Dec 25, 2007
Hate to say it but Skinner gives off the air of a very lazy athlete. He is lucky to be on a team that gives him the kind of run support he gets here because if he was on a more middle of the pack team I think he'd get shredded out there.
I'd be a little more direct and say that we ain't winning any Cup with this guy as our starter, hope I'm wrong. Yup, he's lucked out with this organization for having the gulls to keep hoping he'll eventually figure it out, but it's obvious he is who he is, unreliable and flat out not good enough. Watching the Sens game last night, I was doing double takes on some of those Ullmark saves. If only, this guy can't make those saves in his dreams

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
I'd be a little more direct and say that we ain't winning any Cup with this guy as our starter, hope I'm wrong. Yup, he's lucked out with this organization for having the gulls to keep hoping he'll eventually figure it out, but it's obvious he is who he is, unreliable and flat out not good enough. Watching the Sens game last night, I was doing double takes on some of those Ullmark saves. If only, this guy can't make those saves in his dreams
You're entitled to that opinion but it seems like a crazy thing to say given he gave up two goals in game 7 of a Cup final a couple months ago lol.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
You're entitled to that opinion but it seems like a crazy thing to say given he gave up two goals in game 7 of a Cup final a couple months ago lol.
It isn't though. Flat out the Oilers lose that series if we don't have McD, Drai, Hyman etc digging down real deep to get us that series W, otherwise our playoffs are over.

A cl;ear case is made that the Oilers got to game 7 of the SC final mostly despite him and not because of him. Many players on this team are great and bend results and are determinants. Skinner had some good games in playoffs yes, he had more bad playoff games and he does every post season. Skinner is not even an average playoff goalie and every stat bears that out.

Skinner cost us two games in the SC final that we win with even average goaltending. He cost us the cup.

Oilgasms

May 7, 2011
Edmonton
fte3h4jcxvya1.jpg

Is Skinner even that fat? Don't think he has anything on Dustin Penner lol

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I don't know what to tell you. You framing it like the boys that carried a bad goalie all the way to the finals should be the one to blame...

Over the hump....?? Without those superstar the hump would not have been in sight...

McDavid just gave us one of the best playoffs performance in the history of the game and somehow, that on him?
McDavid and Drai are amazing, but I'm just putting it in perspective. It sounds like you're blaming Skinner for the game 7 loss when we managed one goal and that by a third line guy. I'm not sure what to tell you. Even the greats can fall down, and as good as they are and were, they still need help from all the others.

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
What people aren't getting is that the collective effort to roll the OIlers up hill all playoffs despite Skinner being sub average was a monumental task, one that is even outlier and seldom done, and is unlikely to be repeated with same goalie. The teams that get far in playoffs invariably have better goaltending than the Oilers got. It was incredible the Oilers even managed to get that far with Stu, and they needed Pickard anyway to save bacon.

Oilgasms

May 7, 2011
Edmonton
Listed 230lbs and hide the donuts. When was picture taken?

I'll save the research. Only one NHL goalie last season was heavier.
I took a risk for the team and looked up "skinner shirtless" at work.

Right, but he's not really that far of an outlier:

Stolarz - 6'6. 243
Skinner - 6'4. 230
Andersen - 6'4. 229
Vasi - 6'4. 228
Blackwood 6'4. 225
Quick 6'1. 220

You can be effective, mobile goaltender at his weight. I'm more on team fire Dustin Schwartz than on team Stuart Skinner needs to lose weight.

Reactions: mcdingdong

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.

Stolarz - 6'6. 243
Skinner - 6'4. 230
Andersen - 6'4. 229
Vasi - 6'4. 228
Blackwood 6'4. 225
Quick 6'1. 220

You can be effective, mobile goaltender at his weight. I'm more on team fire Dustin Schwartz than on team Stuart Skinner needs to lose weight.
Thanks, and appreciated but theres no way Quck is 6'1 or 220lbs. Maybe they measured him on skates heh

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006

Stolarz - 6'6. 243
Skinner - 6'4. 230
Andersen - 6'4. 229
Vasi - 6'4. 228
Blackwood 6'4. 225
Quick 6'1. 220

Ya, there are a bunch of pics that have been posted here that clearly show he's not fat, but we still have a couple of posters that get their jollies by lobbing personal insults at our own players.

GrumpyKoala

Aug 11, 2020
McDavid and Drai are amazing, but I'm just putting it in perspective. It sounds like you're blaming Skinner for the game 7 loss when we managed one goal and that by a third line guy. I'm not sure what to tell you. Even the greats can fall down, and as good as they are and were, they still need help from all the others.
Nah, you got me wrong fam,
I kinda blame him for the whole playoff run. ;)

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Ya, there are a bunch of pics that have been posted here that clearly show he's not fat, but we still have a couple of posters that get their jollies by lobbing personal insults at our own players, you know, like bellagio does with Cornelius or MBT.
Fixed.

You do it too. Any Elks fan here knows that.

Phat Skinner. Since you're triggered.

ps

Now that scale is for an average person, not a professional athlete in the sport of pro hockey where weight is not any advantage for a goalie.

Sorry not sorry about stating facts.

Last edited:

Missing smitty

Oct 1, 2018
No. Never said anything of the sort. Not sure where that comment is coming from.

Why are you being snarky? People can have an opinion. It might even differ from yours.
It's the silliness of saying you wouldn't trade for Helleybuck, that's an opinion for sure, but it's a silly opinion.

Reactions: Ninety7

mcdingdong

Mar 21, 2019
I'll wait for you to interject the next of a 100X a season Drai is referred to as "Lazy German". I'll be waiting forever to see that interjection. Now I'm not even saying that crosses a line. To me it doesn't, just a silly comment, but your standard, you should be policing that.

You're being selective.

Fat Clown Skinner (lets see how many people I harmed saying that)

Attempts at credibility is the domain of virtue hounds. I'll leave you with that. Or that credible pursuit wouldn't even involve posting much on a hockey board.
I love Drai and he plays a hard game. Nothing lazy about it.

Maybe I do pick on you. If so, I would hazard it is because you often have thoughtful posts and the occasional trash comment is jarring? Dunno. Not trying to police, just think it is silly to resort to making goofball comments when you dislike players, especially given the fact that there is no shortage of actual commentary you can make on the state of their games. Nobody is gonna argue with you that Nurse sucks or Skinner is inconsistent.

Anyways, not sure why everyone is so fired up after one game and calling for specific players to be launched into orbit. Again, wake me up for game 83. Thanks for the polite interaction Drive.

PS. Skinner looks pretty fit in the pictures above to me? I was picturing him with an absolute barrel after reading some of the comments about his body. He's not a typical wiry goaltender but there are other large goalies in the league.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
I love Drai and he plays a hard game. Nothing lazy about it.

Maybe I do pick on you. If so, I would hazard it is because you often have thoughtful posts and the occasional trash comment is jarring? Dunno. Not trying to police, just think it is silly to resort to making goofball comments when you dislike players, especially given the fact that there is no shortage of actual commentary you can make on the state of their games. Nobody is gonna argue with you that Nurse sucks or Skinner is inconsistent.

Anyways, not sure why everyone is so fired up after one game and calling for specific players to be launched into orbit. Again, wake me up for game 83. Thanks for the polite interaction Drive.

PS. Skinner looks pretty fit in the pictures above to me? I was picturing him with an absolute barrel after reading some of the comments about his body. He's not a typical wiry goaltender but there are other large goalies in the league.
Nah, I get it. I know you recently liked some of my posts when I had the discussion about more serious topics, which I take more seriously. I take no umbrage, and I respect again the honesty you're bringing to this exchange.

I'm imperfect as we all are. But it reminds me that the easiest way to be disappointed in others is to expect such perfection. I sense you have a good soul and that your interjection came from a good place. I don't ftr discount that.

You're always welcome in my PM box as many others here are.

cheers

Reactions: mcdingdong

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
It's the silliness of saying you wouldn't trade for Helleybuck, that's an opinion for sure, but it's a silly opinion.
We agree to disagree. Whether it’s silly or not, is a subjective assessment. Anyhoo, he’s in year 1 of a 7 year deal and most likely isn't being traded anytime soon. Cheers.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad