Post-Game Talk: Oilers dig a self-inflicted grave

mcdingdong

Mar 21, 2019
When Skinner succeeds is because the team is allowing zero passes across and next to no scoring attempts. Which is incredibly difficult an expectation for the club every game. Skinner requires perfect airtight defending and structure in front of him, nearly every game, to be adequate. When a club is giving up fairly normative amound of scoring chances Skinner is blitzed, and often pulled.

ps we're listening to Gregor now? Since when?
My original response to you was taking an issue with your constant remarks along the lines of calling Skinner a fat clown and other crap like that. You also made a pretty gross comment with regards to Nurse's skin condition that I think falls outside the bounds of fair commentary for a low-stakes message board. I was not trying to engage you in any sort of debate re: Skinner, I've read your extensive post history on him and there is no point trying to have a reasonable discussion on that topic with you.

I don't think I've referenced Gregor once in my entire posting history so not sure where that came from.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
My original response to you was taking an issue with your constant remarks along the lines of calling Skinner a fat clown and other crap like that. You also made a pretty gross comment with regards to Nurse's skin condition that I think falls outside the bounds of fair commentary for a low-stakes message board. I was not trying to engage you in any sort of debate re: Skinner, I've read your extensive post history on him and there is no point trying to have a reasonable discussion on that topic with you.

I don't think I've referenced Gregor once in my entire posting history so not sure where that came from.
Thats fair. I do call out players who I think are weaker links on the team. if thats not your thing thats fine. The Nurse comment was a takeaway. I don't what the skin condition is exactly but was framed as a joke. If you're offended by that fine.

In anycase Skinner stated that the puck and game was moving too fast for him and he couldn't keep up, which is evident. I do feel he's the worst starting goalie the club has had in several decades. Several posters here agreeing with that. Its undeniable he's overweight as an athlete in a position not requiring, or even selecting for weight. Indeed his weight is a problem in the position he plays.

But Skinner fans wouldn't tend to like my posts on him.

But I'll take your feedback because its honestly directed.

Thanks for it.

The gregor aside was in response to anothers post.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006

Can’t see, but is this the same poster who not long ago tore a strip off posters who made a negative comment about his favorite player and said that personal comments about a player were disgusting and uncalled for?

Reactions: nabob and guymez

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
S Skinner - Maybe
Dermott
Emberson
J Skinner
T. Stecher

None of these guys should or will be anywhere near this team if we are to win a cup.

None.

Use the cap on better players man. Stop fxxx around the edges with castoff trash

Reactions: Drivesaitl

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
What would you Oiler Fans give up to acquire Hellebuyck???

Anyone...
Nothing. Aside from being a league leader in games played and minutes played the past 7 years he has never lead the league in any other goaltending category. His price tag doesn’t warrant paying a king’s ransom for goaltending that can be had for less money.

Reactions: booyakasha

JeffSkinner53

Jul 25, 2020
Vancouver
hfboards.mandatory.com
Skinner coming out and saying he thought last nights game was just too fast for him is alarming.
Every year coaching staff seems ill-prepared for start of regular season

What would you Oiler Fans give up to acquire Hellebuyck???

Anyone...
Nothing, we almost beat the panthers with our current tandem. Plus, we'd have to lose offense for his cap.

Andreas Ferrari

Dale is the GOAT!!!
Apr 4, 2015
WinnerPeg
Nothing. Aside from being a league leader in games played and minutes played the past 7 years he has never lead the league in any other goaltending category. His price tag doesn’t warrant paying a king’s ransom for goaltending that can be had for less money.
Maybe you're right.

Other than winning the Vezina twice behind a defense with only one good dman, he hasn't accomplished much. :/

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Sure, had that one nice hit and some energy to his game, but in a 4th liner type of way. Hope he moves the needle more than that.
He's a guy that hits and hustles and that's about it. Kostin s 10x the player and can fight.
I touched on this as well Bryan. They don't have the Kostin type player in the lineup to get things going, to get some blood flowing, to ramp up the intensity in a game like this. They had Stu Skinner pissing all over the game and dousing any good start the team had, and then nobody to light the fuse again. Like I said in fairness to Nuge, McD, Hyman, Drai its almost always the same players carrying this club. That gets tiring, I'm sure it does. Especially when every other game you're getting goalied as your own goalie is letting anything in.
We could REALLY use a guy like that. I would damn near give my left nut to have Lowry centering our 3rd line. We are too damned soft.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
He's a guy that hits and hustles and that's about it. Kostin s 10x the player and can fight.

We could REALLY use a guy like that. I would damn near give my left nut to have Lowry centering our 3rd line. We are too damned soft.
I'm hoping there's more there. But I'm not seeing much. Dude reminds of Slepyshev with more hitting.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Missing smitty

Oct 1, 2018
I'm really hoping your sarcasm just isn't coming through on text....

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Maybe you're right.

Other than winning the Vezina twice behind a defense with only one good dman, he hasn't accomplished much. :/
Yes he did. Even with out leading the league in any goalie categories. That’s all I said after you asked. Take it for what it is.

If you want him so bad I’d suggest having a look at the results Winnipeg has had and accept those outcomes. Last year he was lights out. Like, his lights were out. .864 save percentage and 24 goals against in 5 games. Not the solution from my perspective.

CanadasTeam99

Jul 22, 2024
We were one decent goalie away from a cup and deep down in your heart, you know it.
Even this Hildeby no namer on Toronto looks better than SKinner

I'm sick of not winning anything. This bullshit culture that seems to be unique to us has to stop before we can do that. Elite teams park that game, and bring it the next night. Sadly, after half a decade of this, we still can't reliably predict that this group will do anything but piss the sheets again. You would have to be an idiot to assume that won't be the case at this point until they prove otherwise.

Rich for the king of incessant rants to accuse others of throwing a tantrum. Go ahead and post a novel about how it's all Connor Brown's fault, I'll wait.
That's the sad thing. I am not even confident (to start the year) that they can beat CHI or CGY lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad