Post-Game Talk: Oilers dig a self-inflicted grave

timekeep

Apr 28, 2010
Vegas lost Marchessault and Stephenson.

Florida lost Mountour, like half of their blue line, and several good role players up front.

At some point this is just a lame excuse. Crying over ... Cody Ceci.
What lame excuse? I'm not crying over Ceci, I'm crying over the players they brought in to replace Ceci. None are better, don't go the with the addition by subtraction crap either.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
He has the worst lateral movement in the league.
I'm watching his pregame warmup and I'm going oh no, this again. Its like he pretends at goalie warm ups, stretches. That a goalie in the top league in the world doesn't even have a proper warm up routine, makes you wonder about all the rest of his preparation routine. Of if games are it....

This is the worst starting goalie I've seen here in decades. In terms of form, movement, ability.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Check out the goal simulations on NHL.com

Gonna lean on this all season.

Goal 1: check out 97 and 93 already starting to push up to fly the zone before we acquire the puck. Dermott got schooled in the crease.

Goal 2: Emberson way out of position, but where’s the first forward back to cover for Nurse’s pinch? 97 was there but pushed up.

Goal 3: Emberson followed the puck around the boards, putting him and Nurse out of position, but look at 29 and 92 giving up on the play and letting their man in uncovered.

Goal 4: Decent coverage but 53 had to come all the way across the ice from behind the net to try and cover the shooter cause Leon floated back super slow.

Goal 5: Good coverage in the crease but 93 and 10 chasing the puck and playing like a PK rather than taking a man.

Goal 6: 19 made a bad effort to “deny the zone” and 33 overpursued the puck carrier and left both trailers wide open.

Yeah goaltending wasn’t great and both Emberson and Dermott didn’t gave great debuts but as usual forwards aren’t doing their job in our end, and it’s the leadership core that are often the worst offenders.

Also it sounds like this data is scrapable, so finally we can see some data on player and puck tracking and stop relying on shots for everything like it’s the Stone Age.

Also very telling that these seem to be one shot sorties, so it’s not like they ground down our team defense, we just gave up.
Good post Russ even though I don't agree with all the takes. I've liked looking at the goal simulations and agree its a different tool. But for course doesn't take into account attempts to stop a play, a pass, or sticks in lanes etc. It describes movement of players in a way that Howie Meeker used to do decades ago. But the last comment I'm not understanding. Its perhaps telling that Skinner gave up 5 goals on all shots that he saw, none were screens, and 4/5 were initial and one shots beating him. Oilers were actually cleaning up rebounds quite well.

One could do the same with the Jets who were blowing coverages abysmally and on some zone outs were keystone cops, and it was Hellbuck all day saving them. This was a 3-2 game disguised by immense goaltending disparity to be 6-0. Thats the story not shown. Its also why 3 X on the bench the Jets are laughing how easy it is to score on Skinner on one shots.

I lol when I saw that. As if Skinner had anything at all to do with it. Course they won't post it when he's usually shit against a club. Like Carolina.

Last edited:
Reactions: JeffSkinner53

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
??????????????

People really underestimate how good the other teams are when you get to that stage of the playoffs.
I'm not talking about other teams. Skinner had the worst playoff performance of all time in the first 2 rounds of the playoffs. They were the only team in history to win a playoff series with their starter recording an .833 SV% (against Vancouver). If he had been just average- the series likely ends in 5. He was better in the tail end of the Dallas series. He played better yet against Florida- but couldn't compete with his counterpart. This has nothing to do with other teams- you need your starter to be NHL average at minimum

I watch games

you read charts
I do both. You dont do either very well

Reactions: Drivesaitl

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Oh wow look at you. Keep patting yourself on the back for being deaf blind and dumb to obvious underperformance.

You're trying to frame this as me blaming every woe on them, and I'm not. They sucked last night. Playing like that in that game is not acceptable from this leadership group. If you're ok with that, great for you. I'm not.

You are a very balanced poster, you will comment on when a player is playing great, and call them out when they aren’t, regardless of position or stature on the team. Seems normal to me, much more than certain posters who will pick on one or two players, call out every bad play they make, never mentioning when they have good games, and idolizing other players so much that they cant see when they have poor games, and get upset if any other poster even mentions their hero in a bad light. I know myself I’ll heap tons of praise on McDavid during the year, but the odd time that he has a crappy game, especially in a key home opener when more was expected from him, I’ll give him shit. But it’s probably a 95/5 praise over giving shit percentage over the year.

Last edited:

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
He's basically saying he can't track NHL level hockey several seasons in. Just get rid of this bozo. So done with the fat clown showing up every October like a horror movie in goal.
I'm with you. Hopefully Bowman doesn't have the attachment to him that Holland does. He can take his goalie coach with him

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
What lame excuse? I'm not crying over Ceci, I'm crying over the players they brought in to replace Ceci. None are better, don't go the with the addition by subtraction crap either.

Losing a Marchessault is 10x worse than the players the Oilers lost, Florida lost Montour who's better than anyone we lost and several other players past that.

This is not able to be used as an excuse. Every team has turn over, it's completely normal.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
the-simpson-people.gif

Too bad. Skinner must burn!

• Haha
Reactions: bellagiobob

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
Skinner is allergic to having a good SV% lol. It's gonna take him until November to be above .900

I hope Knob allows for a true competition in net. If Pickard plays better, simply give him more games than Stu

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad