Post-Game Talk: Oilers dig a self-inflicted grave

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
The difference is I support and defend great players. They've FULLY earned my trust and benefit of doubt. My criticisms invariably are about players or management that chronically hold the club back. perhaps you can spot a difference, I really doubt it.

If you're "sick of it" nobody is telling you to have to follow more.

"Bullshit culture" lol, that got them to the 7th game of a SC final and past all other teams. Not good enough for you. harumpff.

Oh wow look at you. Keep patting yourself on the back for being deaf blind and dumb to obvious underperformance.

You're trying to frame this as me blaming every woe on them, and I'm not. They sucked last night. Playing like that in that game is not acceptable from this leadership group. If you're ok with that, great for you. I'm not.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
People saying bench Skinner already I think that's the wrong idea. He has bounced back numerous times, and I expect him to turn it around.

He's an average goalie, he'll keep doing the "shit the bed, "bounce back because I get unlimited chances to come back" routine.

Oh wow look at you. Keep patting yourself on the back for being deaf blind and dumb to obvious underperformance.

You're trying to frame this as me blaming every woe on them, and I'm not. They sucked last night. Playing like that in that game is not acceptable from this leadership group. If you're ok with that, great for you. I'm not.

It shouldn't be an auto-loss every time one player (McDavid) has an off night.

I genuinely don't follow baseball that much so maybe someone can clarify this ... do the Dodgers basically automatically lose every night Ohtani doesn't have a great game?

What the Oilers ask of McDavid is ridiculous and I think probably unparalleled in pro sports right now.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.

Thats why you said stuff like "bullshit culture" "this always happens with them" "I'm sick of all this" "bs excuses" "the embarrassment of last season we had to go through" "entitled assholes": etc etc. These are all your statements today. you think you're just talking about one game but you're invoking a lot more.

I agree its one game. But your several rants and swearing at the club was generic. Follow my lead. Get over it. Or not I guess.

If this goes sideways over the next couple weeks to month rants are warranted about the topstars, perhaps. But you're doing this after one game like its an epidemic and you bleated about how awful last season was. lol

heres a simple difference between you and me. I blame nothing players like Yama, Desharnais, Perry, Skinner etc. You blame the top stars in the world.

Its like seeing Argentina fans ranting about Messi. yeah it is.

Last edited:
Reactions: Aerrol

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Thats why you said stuff like "bullshit culture" "this always happens with them" "I'm sick of all this" "bs excuses" "the embarrassment of last season we had to go through": etc etc. These are all your statements today. you think you're just talking about one game but you're invoking a lot more.

I agree its one game. But your several rants and swearing at the club was generic. Follow my lead. Get over it. Or not I guess.

If this goes sideways over the next couple weeks to month rants are warranted about the topstars, perhaps. But you're doing this after one game like its an epidemic and you bleated about how awful last season was. lol

heres a simple difference between you and me. I blame nothing players like Yama, Desharnais, Perry etc. You blame the top stars in the world.

Its like seeing Argentina fans ranting about Messi. yeah it is.

Not sure how many times this needs to happen for you to notice a trend, but 5 years of cataclysmic implosions during the first three months of the year isn’t enough I guess.

Keep pretending it’s a one off though.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
People saying bench Skinner already I think that's the wrong idea. He has bounced back numerous times, and I expect him to turn it around.
He bounces back when the team in front of him is playing perfect air proof hockey every night, all night, which is hard to do. he never bounces back in October. Show me Skinner giving up 1-2 goals and I'll show you opponents hardly getting any scoring chances at all. All the lifting this club has to do for Fred Skinner.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Not sure how many times this needs to happen for you to notice a trend, but 5 years of cataclysmic implosions during the first three months of the year isn’t enough I guess.

Keep pretending it’s a one off though.

They've finished with a 104 points or more in each of the last three years, lol.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Lmao, 1 game in and the core led by the best 2 players in the league (also the best 2 playoff performers in...2 decades? more?) are the problem. Never change HF.

Some thoughts without digging too much through the predictable sky is falling mess of a PGT:
- Winnipeg (or more specifically Hellebuyck) has always had our number. While everyone could have been better, we also weren't bad. We carried the majority of the play and the goaltending difference was, as it always is when we lose vs Winnipeg, See: MoneyPuck.com (not end-all be-all but I always like Moneypuck as a sanity check for my eyes)
- The loss of team speed and weakening of the D was painfully obvious. Hope Emberson can learn to deal with Nurse's foibles because jesus christ do we ever need him to. We also need to adapt our system to be more about puck control rather than fast dump-ins now because we moved from blistering speed to older skill guys.
- I like Podkolzin so far, but given how he always seemed to fall off a cliff for the Canucks, I'll be watching to see if he can be at least as consistent with his effort as Foegele was (which is to say, not that consistent but good enough).

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
They've finished with a 104 points or more in each of the last three years, lol.
Yeah, I don't even know whats up with this guy today. Apparently the last few seasons were all disasters. I must have missed that. All I see is a team with the 2nd most playoff series Wins in the entire NHL through that time. The kind of stuff that would all be Nucks Stanley Cups. lol

"Not effing good enough" ;)

Oilhawks

Over Old Hills
Nov 24, 2011
One one hand, seeing the “DIG IN, RIGHT NOW!” and other verbal about the vocal leadership in the room during the playoffs is great.

On the other hand, it doesn’t absolve leadership from not leading by example while playing listless and lifeless games during the regular season.

Getting up for game 1 of the season shouldn’t be this difficult for a team that is viewed as a contender. Doldrums of January etc is expected but this lack of effort and care early in the season really looks like entitlement to many fans (looking from the outside in), IMO

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
One one hand, seeing the “DIG IN, RIGHT NOW!” and other verbal about the vocal leadership in the room during the playoffs is great.

On the other hand, it doesn’t absolve leadership from not leading by example while playing listless and lifeless games during the regular season.

Getting up for game 1 of the season shouldn’t be this difficult for a team that is viewed as a contender. Doldrums of January etc is expected but this lack of effort and care early in the season really looks like entitlement to many fans (looking from the outside in), IMO

Name me this magical superstar player that never has listless games ever. Seriously, I'll wait.

Reactions: Aerrol

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
It's funny because you'd think that he would have improved with the Ekholm addition lessening the load and instead he's regressed into a shell of what he was because of pouting with less minutes? Personal stuff?
I don't know, maybe natural regression? I don't know what it is but he's barely a $4m player at this point.
Weirdly some guys play better playing more. I remember Hitchcock in his brief time here saying Nurse gives you a better 25 minutes than 19. He said Petriangelo was also like that.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
He’s not wrong though. It used to be December. Last year it was October. There is one month in the first half of every season where the oilers are the worst team in the nhl.

Reactions: K1984

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
He doesn't have to "anchor" it, he merely needs to just be a steadying presence and not produce his own chaos like Ceci did at times.

I knew this would happen and I called it. I knew the Oilers would start slow, I knew that the new guys like Emberson and Skinner would get tarred and feathered because it would take them a while to acclimate. Could see this coming from a mile away. This is going to take time for guys to fit in.

Regardless, I get the frustrations of yet ANOTHER slow start to the season but I think some patience is required AGAIN for this team and the new players to find their footing.
Also quoting this because it's so true. We turned over a ton of the roster, of COURSE there is going to be growing pains.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Weirdly some guys play better playing more. I remember Hitchcock in his brief time here saying Nurse gives you a better 25 minutes than 19. He said Petriangelo was also like that.
That was a different Nurse. Pre contract Nurse, deserves to be stated. he's not that guy anymore and it could just be never will be as its clear obvious on the club that Ekholm and Booch are the guys. I think can't handle not being the guy. He's not even one of them at this point it seems. I defended Nurse for a year or two through doldrums but its just never ending and getting worse. The better Booch gets the more it seems Nurse is not even focused. I think something in Nurses psyche, he needs to be the best at his position, and that will not happen here again.

He’s not wrong though. It used to be December. Last year it was October. There is one month in the first half of every season where the oilers are the worst team in the nhl.
Every team has these. Vegas has had him, STL, Dallas, LA. Every western club except Chicago that won a cup has doldrums. Severe ones even. We tend not to notice that when its other clubs struggling.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

Well that kinda is bound to happen when your management sucks balls. Best player in the world, bottom 5 management group ... that sounds about right to have wild rollercoaster ups and downs.

Chiarelli and Holland f***ed up so many different situations.

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
Teach Skinner how to do the splits. WE be depending on you. f***ing lazy ass Skinner in a game 1 with the XXXXL jersey on. Few things are worse than seeing Skinner in early season games. Man, his alltime October GAA is legendary bad. His weight is too. Donut training is hard.

Maybe we could inject Nurse with something. Or make him sniff smelling salts. He just goes through the motions. He's exhibit A all the time and all the players know it. Not just that Nurse is eating up the money but he's bringing down the club. Kulak has been better than Nurse for how long now?
Lmao. Well the weight part I might have trouble teaching him 😂 maybe you show him that part, and I’ll show him the splits part 🤣🤣

Legit maybe Pickard should start a few games though. I don’t know. So frustrating

Reactions: Drivesaitl

timekeep

Apr 28, 2010
Do people actually think having Ceci would have made the difference last night? Lmao
The difference between winning and losing? Can't win without scoring but its hard to score 7 a night. If our strategy is to out score our mistakes, we need decrease the mistakes significantly. Its only one game but you can't seriously feel that Ceci isn't better than the new dmen they brought in?

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
ITT: People trying to use the 1st game to prove what they complained about all offseason.
Check out the goal simulations on NHL.com

Gonna lean on this all season.

Goal 1: check out 97 and 93 already starting to push up to fly the zone before we acquire the puck. Dermott got schooled in the crease.

Goal 2: Emberson way out of position, but where’s the first forward back to cover for Nurse’s pinch? 97 was there but pushed up.

Goal 3: Emberson followed the puck around the boards, putting him and Nurse out of position, but look at 29 and 92 giving up on the play and letting their man in uncovered.

Goal 4: Decent coverage but 53 had to come all the way across the ice from behind the net to try and cover the shooter cause Leon floated back super slow.

Goal 5: Good coverage in the crease but 93 and 10 chasing the puck and playing like a PK rather than taking a man.

Goal 6: 19 made a bad effort to “deny the zone” and 33 overpursued the puck carrier and left both trailers wide open.

Yeah goaltending wasn’t great and both Emberson and Dermott didn’t gave great debuts but as usual forwards aren’t doing their job in our end, and it’s the leadership core that are often the worst offenders.

Also it sounds like this data is scrapable, so finally we can see some data on player and puck tracking and stop relying on shots for everything like it’s the Stone Age.

Also very telling that these seem to be one shot sorties, so it’s not like they ground down our team defense, we just gave up.

Those are a cool addition by NHL.com.

Great analysis too. I think it really highlights a problem that's been happening for years. There just isn't enough urgency or just a lack of awareness on backchecking from the forwards.

That second goal is the perfect example. Emberson makes a bad decision, but he's basically in a no-win situation. Take the wide guy and leave the middle drive wide open or take the middle player and leave the wide guy open.

I'd say it's a fairly common theme. Whenever one of the D makes a bad decision, there's likely at least a forward or two that made their read much harder.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
The difference between winning and losing? Can't win without scoring but its hard to score 7 a night. If our strategy is to out score our mistakes, we need decrease the mistakes significantly. Its only one game but you can't seriously feel that Ceci isn't better than the new dmen they brought in?

Vegas lost Marchessault and Stephenson.

Florida lost Mountour, like half of their blue line, and several good role players up front.

At some point this is just a lame excuse. Crying over ... Cody Ceci.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.

How many games do you count in a season where Neither McD or Drai are bringing the sauce? It happens less often them taking nights off than any other superstar. To wit them leading the pts race every season.

The game I watched the Oilers had as many scoring chances, more shots, and were again deepsixed by shit ass goaltending. Sure the D and ownzone coverage was lacking but the 3,4, 5 goals seemed like they went in off consecutive shots on goal. The Oilers were the better club starting first and second periods. Any modicum of goaltending and this is a 2 or 3 nothing loss and a game we're still in for the whole 60mins. As it was the game was over by the time Fred Skinner got pulled at 31mins letting in 5 goals in the first dozen shots. Worse, he gave up 5 in the first 28mins.

The Oilers could have been better sure, it starts with the goalie. Like I said if this is Boston last year its 0-0 after two periods with their goalies stopping everything.

Lmao. Well the weight part I might have trouble teaching him 😂 maybe you show him that part, and I’ll show him the splits part 🤣🤣

Legit maybe Pickard should start a few games though. I don’t know. So frustrating
I'd show Skinner a kick in the nuts.

jk

I don't want the internet police coming.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Skinner coming out and saying he thought last nights game was just too fast for him is alarming.
he said that? pffffft. jets are also one of the slower clubs in the league just that they always look for the pass across plays. Its Skinner who's slow, not the Jets being too fast.

heres a thought. Maybe the Oilers have to shit the bed once in awhile to get Skinner a bit more focused. Pretty sure he wasn't sharp at all. In the telecast at 2-0 Skinner lost a puck behind net and comentators even saying Skinner didn't know where that puck was at all and it was an easy wrap for a goal if the player saw it. There were several plays like that in game where Skinner wasn't even tracking adequately. SOG fwiw were Oilers 23, Jets 13, and Jets were leading 5-0. Another day at the office.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad