Post-Game Talk: Oilers dig a self-inflicted grave

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Outside of Nurse I don't see it that way. McD, Drai, Nuge, Hyman, Ekholm, Bouch have carried this team and deserved a modicum of respect, and not stuff like the bolded.

Overall the 6 I mentioned are among the hardest working players in the world and carry this team every year. We have hardly anything this year outside of that group and particularly with Kane out all season.
I wouldn't doubt either that the Oilers are wanting players like Skinner to show up. Actually both of them, and do their part. Nurse seems to be a lost cause, on planet Space.

I already asked. Jimmy got sent to his room over that side discussion.

Meanwhile they are the only players still here among a group that does this over and over and over and over again.

They'll be better, like they always are. But it would be naive to think that they aren't some part of the problem when they've been part of this formula for a decade while everyone else has turned over around them multiple times. Speaking about McDavid, Draisaitl and Nuge specifically, who were all individually abysmal last night. In fact, other than Skinner, you could say that all players with letters on their sweaters were our worst players last night relative to individual expectation.

Leadership players focused on pulling their team into a better start don't end the night with 0 shots. McDavid and Drai were garbage last night, and it just isn't acceptable, ESPECIALLY in the first game of the season after the debacle last year. When the prevailing culture here seems to be "well we're better than that so I guess we'll try again next time" instead of "that was a pathetic joke that was completely unacceptable," you get the results we get.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Meanwhile they are the only players still here among a group that does this over and over and over and over again.

They'll be better, like they always are. But it would be naive to think that they aren't some part of the problem when they've been part of this formula for a decade while everyone else has turned over around them multiple times. Speaking about McDavid, Draisaitl and Nuge specifically, who were all individually abysmal last night. In fact, other than Skinner, you could say that all players with letters on their sweaters were our worst players last night.

Leadership players focused on pulling their team into a better start don't end the night with 0 shots. McDavid and Drai were garbage last night, and it just isn't acceptable, ESPECIALLY in the first game of the season after the debacle last year. When the prevailing culture here seems to be "well we're better than that so I guess we'll try again next time" instead of "that was a pathetic joke that was completely unacceptable," you get the results we get.
meh. The problem has ALWAYS been weaksauce management. We've almost completely squandered a decade of McDrai. Look first at the goaltending file for a decade, arguably the most important spot in hockey and "good enough" and "fill" has always been the management response. Look around at the roster and how many players on it just dropped to us, discarded from previous clubs or got for next to nothing.

The useful players that were added to the nucleus core were Ekholm and Hyman. What a shortlist. Argument can be made for Kane but we don't have him.

Its an absolute joke how little help our core players have been granted to get to next rung. Heroically the core took their team on the backs and did it all last season and playoffs getting to the cup final. Months later and "fans" are carving up the same hero's

The core has given me a lot of joy. I'm thankful for that. The punters on this club, not so much.

Reactions: Aerrol

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
He doesn't have to "anchor" it, he merely needs to just be a steadying presence and not produce his own chaos like Ceci did at times.

I knew this would happen and I called it. I knew the Oilers would start slow, I knew that the new guys like Emberson and Skinner would get tarred and feathered because it would take them a while to acclimate. Could see this coming from a mile away. This is going to take time for guys to fit in.

Regardless, I get the frustrations of yet ANOTHER slow start to the season but I think some patience is required AGAIN for this team and the new players to find their footing.
Much of the so called "chaos" that Ceci produced was a direct result of him trying to babysit the 9.25 million dollar man. Good luck to Emberson in that role.

They'll be better, like they always are. But it would be naive to think that they aren't some part of the problem when they've been part of this formula for a decade while everyone else has turned over around them multiple times. Speaking about McDavid, Draisaitl and Nuge specifically, who were all individually abysmal last night. In fact, other than Skinner, you could say that all players with letters on their sweaters were our worst players last night relative to individual expectation.

All I'm going to say, is that we better not hear any woe is me crap if/when we have to play another game 7 in some other teams rink, and "if we had game 7 in our rink, we would have won." The time to get all the game 7's in their own rink starts NOW.

Reactions: K1984

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
I realize that Stecher isn’t a world beater, but he’s more than capable to play in our top six, KK really must not care for him, didn’t play him much after we acquired him last year, and not in game 1 even after he was one of our better dmen in camp. Plus he actually has a pulse, something we could have used last night.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

All I'm going to say, is that we better not hear any woe is me crap if/when we have to play another game 7 in some other teams rink, and "if we had game 7 in our rink, we would have won." The time to get all the game 7's in their own rink starts NOW. I know McDavid and the core said they have moved on from the past and are now focused on the present, but for all intents and purposes, they played with so little enthusiasm and emotion last night, it looked like they had played the losing game 7 a couple nights ago.

Last edited:

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I realize that Stecher isn’t a world beater, but he’s more than capable to play in our top six, KK really must not care for him, didn’t play him much after we acquired him last year, and not in game 1 even after he was one of our better dmen in camp. Plus he actually has a pulse, something we could have used last night.
He has to be better than Dermott. Dermott isn't even an NHL calibre player of any ranking at this point, IMO.

Reactions: bellagiobob

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
meh. The problem has ALWAYS been weaksauce management. We've almost completely squandered a decade of McDrai. Look first at the goaltending file for a decade, arguably the most important spot in hockey and "good enough" has always been the management response.

The useful players that were added to the nucleus core were Ekholm and Hyman. What a shortlist. Argument can be made for Kane but we don't have him.

Its an absolute joke how little help our core players have been granted to get to next rung. Heroically the core took their team on the backs and did it all last season and playoffs getting to the cup final. Months later and "fans" are carving up the same hero's

The core has given me a lot of joy. I'm thankful for that. The punters on this club, not so much.

Even if that's all true - McDavid 0 shots, and 0's in every column across the board, except for the -2. Ditto for Leon, although he did manage 3 shots on the way to his well earned -2.

Not f***ing acceptable for arguably the two best players on the planet in the opening game of the season. We can excuse it away all we want with sob stories about management and their team mates, but that is not an acceptable performance from them. Management and their teammates didn't force McDavid to refuse to shoot the puck. Management and their teammates didn't force Leon to be a lazy mess in his own end.

I'll have time for that conversation when/if they are doing their thing and the rest of the roster is failing them. That isn't what happened last night. I'll excuse away the odd shitty performance in the doldrums of the season. Playing like that as the leadership group in the opening game of the year after the embarrassment we went through last season is not acceptable on an individual level, full stop.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
I know it’s only one game, and we all know we lost a lot of team speed with Clouder, McLovin, Holloway and Broberg leaving, so the expectation was we probably lost a step in general, but man did we look slow. Combine that with basically zero physical contact and it made it an easy night for the Jets.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I know it’s only one game, and we all know we lost a lot of team speed with Clouder, McLovin, Holloway and Broberg leaving, so the expectation was we probably lost a step in general, but man did we look slow. Combine that with basically zero physical contact and it made it an easy night for the Jets.
The complete lack of physicality and competitiveness is what really disturbed me. Absolutely no pushback, emotion, give a shit, from the top on down. You would think the juice of a (as usual) sold out crowd that's been waiting 4 months for more hockey, the will to get off to a good start this year instead of going through the motions like the beginning of last year that hurt them in the end, and being fired up for opening night would produce a heartbeat.

Reactions: bellagiobob

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Even if that's all true - McDavid 0 shots, and 0's in every column across the board, except for the -2. Ditto for Leon, although he did manage 3 shots on the way to his well earned -2.

Not f***ing acceptable for arguably the two best players on the planet in the opening game of the season. We can excuse it away all we want with sob stories about management and their team mates, but that is not an acceptable performance from them. Management and their teammates didn't force McDavid to refuse to shoot the puck. Management and their teammates didn't force Leon to be a lazy mess in his own end.

I'll have time for that conversation when/if they are doing their thing and the rest of the roster is failing them. That isn't what happened last night. I'll excuse away the odd shitty performance in the doldrums of the season. Playing like that as the leadership group in the opening game of the year after the embarrassment we went through last season is not acceptable on an individual level, full stop.
Its one f***ng game and you're throwing allstars to the wolves. Get over it. The negativity around generational superstars is mind boggling. Repeat after me, one game.

What have you done for me lately fans. you're in that bunch I guess.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
The complete lack of physicality and competitiveness is what really disturbed me. Absolutely no pushback, emotion, give a shit, from the top on down. You would think the juice of a (as usual) sold out crowd that's been waiting 4 months for more hockey, the will to get off to a good start this year instead of going through the motions like the beginning of last year that hurt them in the end, and being fired up for opening night would produce a heartbeat.

I truly believe that the results in our last two openers is unprecedented in sports for a team of this supposed quality. One off randoms happen, but two years in a row for the supposed championship favourite? I can't believe that's ever happened before.

Its one f***ng game and you're throwing allstars to the wolves. Get over it. The negativity around generational superstars is mind boggling. Repeat after me, one game.

What have you done for me lately fans. you're in that bunch I guess.

Ya, because they f***ing deserve it. They were shit last night. I've repeatedly said the top guys will get better, but pick out what you want to hear. I'm not going to sit here and crow about the players in the bottom 6 like you have, when all of them to a man out played our stars last night.

If you're ok with them setting the tone by dicking around to start every year, then that's great for you. I've had enough of it, and it isn't acceptable for the leadership group of a championship team to play like that in Game 1.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
I truly believe that the results in our last two openers is unprecedented in sports for a team of this supposed quality. One off randoms happen, but two years in a row for the supposed championship favourite? I can't believe that's ever happened before.

Ya, because they f***ing deserve it. They were shit last night. I've repeatedly said the top guys will get better, but pick out what you want to hear. I'm not going to sit here and crow about the players in the bottom 6 like you have, when all of them to a man out played our stars last night.

If you're ok with them setting the tone by dicking around to start every year, then that's great for you. I've had enough of it, and it isn't acceptable for the leadership group of a championship team to play like that in Game 1.
OK, have fun throwing a tantrum all day about it. The game was erased for me when I woke up. New day, and its the position the players have to take as well.

The players don't deserve your vitriol. If you think so thats on you. The superstar players on this club cause me pretty endless joy, I appreciate it, and them. Guess you don't because they played one bad game and you're swearing hot about it.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
OK, have fun throwing a tantrum all day about it. The game was erased for me when I woke up. New day, and its the position the players have to take as well.

The players don't deserve your vitriol. If you think so thats on you. The superstar players on this club cause me pretty endless joy, I appreciate it, and them. Guess you don't because they played one bad game and you're swearing hot about it.
Just remember your posts like this when you go off on tangents for Stu Skinner later in the year, like you did most of last year.:D

K1984

Feb 7, 2008

I'm sick of not winning anything. This bullshit culture that seems to be unique to us has to stop before we can do that. Elite teams park that game, and bring it the next night. Sadly, after half a decade of this, we still can't reliably predict that this group will do anything but piss the sheets again. You would have to be an idiot to assume that won't be the case at this point until they prove otherwise.

Rich for the king of incessant rants to accuse others of throwing a tantrum. Go ahead and post a novel about how it's all Connor Brown's fault, I'll wait.

• Haha
Reactions: Drivesaitl

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
I'm sick of not winning anything. This bullshit culture that seems to be unique to us has to stop before we can do that. Elite teams park that game, and bring it the next night. Sadly, after half a decade of this, we still can't reliably predict that this group will do anything but piss the sheets again. You would have to be an idiot to assume that won't be the case at this point until they prove otherwise.

Rich for the king of incessant rants to accuse others of throwing a tantrum. Go ahead and post a novel about how it's all Connor Brown's fault, I'll wait.
The difference is I support and defend great players. They've FULLY earned my trust and benefit of doubt. My criticisms invariably are about players or management that chronically hold the club back. perhaps you can spot a difference, I really doubt it.

If you're "sick of it" nobody is telling you to have to follow more.

"Bullshit culture" lol, that got them to the 7th game of a SC final and past all other teams. Not good enough for you. harumpff.

GrumpyKoala

Aug 11, 2020
How many points did our 2 superstars produce in games 6 and 7 to get us over the hump?
I don't know what to tell you. You framing it like the boys that carried a bad goalie all the way to the finals should be the one to blame...

Over the hump....?? Without those superstar the hump would not have been in sight...

McDavid just gave us one of the best playoffs performance in the history of the game and somehow, that on him?

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Last week it was mentioned we needed to end the preseason and get a regular season game, to stop all the infighting that was occurring on the site.

In hindsight whoever stated that should have been more specific and said a regular season game win.

Off by just 3 letters.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
I don't know what to tell you. You framing it like the boys that carried a bad goalie all the way to the finals should be the one to blame...

Over the hump....?? Without those superstar the hump would not have been in sight...

McDavid just gave us one of the best playoffs performance in the history of the game and somehow, that on him?
Bang. Somebody gets it.

This team is nothing without the core of players that even causes any of us to keep watching. But those are the ones some of these fans want to swear at all day. Beyond the pale.

I can't believe people trashing McDrai and the core after all they just gave us, gave blood for us to even be in the final. Gave it for a whole year even so that we could see that.

Without heroic efforts from the core we don't get by Vancouver or Dallas. Almost any team would've folded with the abysmal goaltending they were getting.

Ingrates.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

It's bullshit to cry when McDavid has like one bad game out of every 10+.

Do you think Pittsburgh just rolled over and died every time Crosby had a mediocre game in their Cup window?

They have a winning record without him in the lineup full stop.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
It's bullshit to cry when McDavid has like one bad game out of every 10+.

Do you think Pittsburgh just rolled over and died every time Crosby had a mediocre game in their Cup window?

They have a winning record without him in the lineup full stop.
Bang.

What have you done for me lately. Oh you didn't make the world move yesterday. Oh you burned the toast. lol

But you're responding to a poster that just bleated "after all the bs we went through last season" and complained about "bullshit culture" lmfao, we were better than 31 teams. What a disaster getting to game 7 of the SC final.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I see Vincent Desharnais was a -2 yesterday against a team that missed the playoffs by a country mile the season prior.

Lets see if Cody CePronger dominates in San Jose's opener.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad