Post-Game Talk: Oilers dig a self-inflicted grave

Kerberos

Hound of Hades
Nov 4, 2021
I hope he doesn't have some lingering issue still.
His lingering issue is scoring 64 goals just to prove he could be the best goal scorer in the NHL. Hit 60 that season and then stopped shooting after that as well.

Last season the injury obviously affected him but not exactly an encouraging start this season seeing him pass up prime shooting opportunities immediately from game 1.

Reactions: CanadasTeam99

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Mcdavid is one of the best players ever but his refusal to shoot in dangerous places is simply mind boggling and infuriating, he has an elite shot to boot.,
Its inexplicable really. In contrast Gretz adjusted his game to what opponents were keyed on. If the passes weren't there he was piling in 91 goals. If he was covered he was piling up the assists. Its the forced passes from scoring areas that is frustrating and going on for a complete calendar year.

I mean just no, fundamentally.
Fundamentally in goal Pickard is better. Doesn't matter how much sample he plays people for some reason keep discounting this.

barry halls

Nov 13, 2018
like it or not Ceci was a huge part of the PK, played big minutes and I believe wasn’t on the ice for a single PK goal against in the playoffs. Trading him for a nobody in Emberson was just another in a long line of stupid mistakes overseen by the poser executive Jackson.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Its inexplicable really. In contrast Gretz adjusted his game to what opponents were keyed on. If the passes weren't there he was piling in 91 goals. If he was covered he was piling up the assists. Its the forced passes from scoring areas that is frustrating and going on for a complete calendar year.

Fundamentally in goal Pickard is better. Doesn't matter how much sample he plays people for some reason keep discounting this.
No Replacement, you're just carrying on your nonsense.

Reactions: MessierII

jesusbuiltmyhotrod

Feb 27, 2021
like it or not Ceci was a huge part of the PK, played big minutes and I believe wasn’t on the ice for a single PK goal against in the playoffs. Trading him for a nobody in Emberson was just another in a long line of stupid mistakes overseen by the poser executive Jackson.
It's one game relax lol..ceci is not going to be a difference maker if this team makes it or not....everyone wanted him out last year.

You can't figure it out?

A better start last year may have resulted in home ice in the final.
We win the cup last year with home ice imo..the oil outplayed the panthers overall in the finals, losing that games 1 and 3 where they greatly outplayed the cats killed their chances,

Reactions: Heavy Dee

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
It's one game relax lol..ceci is not going to be a difference makes if this team makes it or not....everyone wanted him out last year.

We win the cup last year with home ice imo..the oil outplayed the panthers overall in the finals, losing that games 1 and 3 where they greatly outplayed the cats killed their chances,
Skinner cost us a game or two in the final as well. Have an even close to legit starter and we win the cup.

Reactions: brentashton

jesusbuiltmyhotrod

Feb 27, 2021
Skinner cost us a game or two in the final as well. Have an even close to legit starter and we win the cup.
I agree, although I find it hard to blame him in the finals, we only scored once in game 7, even though that second goal should have been stopped imo, you don't win scoring only 1 very often. I personally have no faith in Skinner , feels like a miracle they got as far as they did with him in net.

He almost single handidly cost them the nucks series.

Reactions: TB12 and Drivesaitl

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
could've used Broberg's goal and Holloway's assist last night ;)

Would’ve been 6-1

Was it just me but were the cheers for all the players pregame really hushed last night? Had the volume cranked and the decibels weren't going up at all. No throaty roars for a team playing its first home game after a SC game 7 season. Was really odd. Pretty quiet crowd, and dead silent for most of this game. But sure no big applauds for any of the players pregame. I think KK might have got the most.

Big cheers for the usual suspects. Dustin Schwartz was booed.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Unfotunately this: This is the present RV, stapled to the boards last night just like he was all playoffs last season. A look of terror on his face. Its the trouble with RV is he's just another small player out there and old and easy to beat off the puck. Skinner is worse. You don't even see Skinner in a picture like this because he's allergic to any board battle.

1728584495414.png

In meat and potatoes hockey country we got old spent help like this.

I'd post the pictures where the Jets are again laughing at Skinner in net but I'm not cruel like that. Still was pretty weird the telecast was trumping how great Skinner is against the Jets pregame. That statline is buried and busted.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
I don't disagree. He needs to be shooting the puck and him not doing that takes away from the club and results. I wonder sometimes though if the top players on the club sometimes lay back a bit taking it easy and wondering if anybody else ever picks up the slack. On this roster they can keep waiting. Unfortunately our third line was awful. I expected our 2nd line would be. But the third line is supposed to be having a resurrection season. Its what they're here for is to make amends. Henrique played well last season, the other two need to improve immensely on their last seasons. They didn't get much.

Jeff Skinner is so bad in a topsix. Even when playing in the east he gets erased and knocked off the puck. All plays end with him. People wanted this guy?

Another side note that Podkolzin is a flat out bust. What an unhelpful offseason. What player did we obtain that is useful? How many did we lose that were playing a part? Add Kane as missing all season and the club is going to find it much harder.
What did you watch? The 3rd line was the best line by a country mile. The 4th wasn’t bad either. The top 6 was atrocious on both ends of the ice.

jesusbuiltmyhotrod

Feb 27, 2021
Ceci was never the biggest problem on that pairing. He was just an easier target than Mr $9.25M.
Ceci was a scapegoat for many here last year but he was not as bad as many used to say. He played a lot of tough mins for us. This team needs a D upgrade and another forward at least and have no capspace. Team got worse then last year imo. Surprised so many picked them to win the cup, they still could but I see it being a much tougher hill to climb this season. Team lacks speed, youth, D and goaltending.

Reactions: WEMCHUD

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Unfotunately this: This is the present RV, stapled to the boards last night just like he was all playoffs last season. A look of terror on his face. Its the trouble with RV is he's just another small player out there and old and easy to beat off the puck. Skinner is worse. You don't even see Skinner in a picture like this because he's allergic to any board battle.

View attachment 914706

In meat and potatoes hockey country we got old spent help like this.

I'd post the pictures where the Jets are again laughing at Skinner in net but I'm not cruel like that. Still was pretty weird the telecast was trumping how great Skinner is against the Jets pregame. That statline is buried and busted.

Ehh, I wouldn't use a picture from a game that's fast paced to say stuff like that especially when Arvidsson is a scrappy f***er to play against.

Otherwise look at Toews for an example lol.
ABl9SY9.png

Reactions: Oilhawks

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Apparently. It's mind boggling. Ceci turned into Chris Pronger since he got traded, I guess.
Like seriously, WTF? People have lost their marbles in terms of this apparent huge impact the departed players had.

This is all about the Oilers core, they do this shit every year coming out lackadaisical. Has very little to do with Cody freaking Ceci lol.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad