Oilers destroy everybody

Shathar

Jul 23, 2009
Moncton, New Brunswi
Injury excuses are a crutch that lets people think this team is better and more competitive than it really is.

When is a team completely healthy anyway? It's pretty rare in today's NHL to not have at least one or two out at any given point.

Do we honestly think those 2 games vs MTL and NYI would have been much different with Klefbom and RNH back?

You could make a valid argument that this team would have more wins if they wouldn't have had as many man games missed... but that's like saying they would have had more goals if you also counted every goal post hit as well.

Reality is bad reffing calls are part of the game, unlucky bounces are part of the game, and injuries are part of the game and to use any as excuses to help explain why the team is so poor yet again is letting the team off the hook.

You have depth in an org so you can overcome injuries.

Question... Why are teams with half the supposed top end talent of the Oilers able to stay ahead of them in the standings?

Answer... They have a better mix of players and better depth... and players that obviously do more with the limited talent they do have.

Last year the excuse was Eakins (valid... but clearly not the only problem as well and we all knew that)... this year the excuse du jour is injuries.

Next year if this roster is essentially kept unchanged they may have to use the excuse of getting used to the new rink... but who knows what they'll use for an 11th year of futility.

Anyone catch McLellan's 'morning glory' quote the other day? These dudes just aren't very good. Maybe they shoot real hard and skate real fast, but they don't know how to play hockey. Imagine not just trying to score on a power play, but specifically trying to get a guy a hattrick. And (NYI) succeeding. That's pretty terrible. But now I feel like I'm picking on the penalty kill. It's the core with few exceptions that I'm talking about. I only need two fingers to count the scoring forwards I'm NOT talking about.

hawks889

Jul 6, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta,
This team is so complacent with losing and its management has cowered for a long time to make the big moves that are much needed. Its as if they dont want to tamper with how good it looks on paper to have all those young first overall picks. Yakupov is an example of a player that shoulda been moved long ago , now his value is a far cry from what it once was.

Exactly, management and some fans are blinded by the shiny 1st overall picks, thinking it will evenutally work out when in reality, its not. The supposed skill is overrated, you cant just throw together all these supposed talented players and expect them to quote "destroy everyone", sorry OP, but thats what you too probably expected, and it just doesnt work that way.

Ask the colorado avalanche, the year that Kariya and Selanne agreed to play one season there for basically 1 mill a year hoping to piggyback a cup on Sakic, Forsberg.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
It's almost impossible to be as bad as this franchise has been over the last 7 years.

Standings: 30,28,28,24,29,30,30
Goals Against: 27,30,30,19,23,28,30
Goals for: 22,26,25,18,20,28,27

What an utter disgrace.

PinSeeker

Really narrowed his eyyyyyyyyyesssssss
Aug 22, 2005
YLW
^ It seems it is something else each year though. Last year goaltending and 5v5 was horrid. This year 5v5 we are 13th, goaltending has improved, but special teams specifically PP is terrible, as is our defense.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
It's almost impossible to be as bad as this franchise has been over the last 7 years.

What an utter disgrace.

Tying the budget Florida Panthers that set the 10 season playoff drought record is in the bag now. Really doubtful that we can avoid breaking that record.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
The most alarming of all those stats for me is goals for. When you have had poor tending and poor defense it is one thing but to be that bad in goals for each year is just awful.

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
This is what happens when you don't have any top pairing defensemen for almost a decade. It's like running a football team with a horrible QB then blaming the wide receivers for not carrying the team to victory.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB

What an utter disgrace.

The funny part is the one year that sticks out as some what better, the 24th over all year,was the lock out year. If we play that full year you probably don't see better than 28th in 7 years. Just unreal, so bad.

NewBoysClub97*

All-Star
Jun 1, 2012
Vancouver
It is so pathetic.

How can you trust this core overall over this long of a time even with injuries?

Same results.

Anybody with an eye for talent can see that we have a lot of players with skill and not enough compete and drive.

We have guys who will go over the opponents blueline and lose corner battles left and right

We have dmen who go retrieve the puck and get beat to it left and right.
We have players, skilled and not, who make some of the dumbest low IQ plays you will see in your life....EVERY GAME

Gret99zky

Worst Thread Ever
May 5, 2007
Gamma Quadrant
That's right, once this team gels a little more and gets some stability from all the changes, maybe one or two top end teams can keep up.

I predict that we destroy most teams by Christmas. Too much waves of talent and good coaching.

Please keep this post alive as I'm dead serious !

Mark my words everybody !

giphy.gif

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
Am I the only one who finds this thread embarrassingly off the mark?

Perhaps it hasn't been locked yet because of the comic relief it provides.

oilexport

Aug 29, 2010
Im sure the op, was being a little too optimistic.

Maybe I was and maybe this thread should stay open cause the fundamentals of killing everybody is there. All we need is a defenceman or 2 and a change in attitude. We never replaced a klefbom which killed us....nobody to replace him and we were already thin back there. Chia made a huge mistake in evaluating the team for the whole year. Wasted year....

I still think we have the horses up front to walk over most teams, I does not make sense that we are not in the playoffs.

hawks889

Jul 6, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta,
Maybe I was and maybe this thread should stay open cause the fundamentals of killing everybody is there. All we need is a defenceman or 2 and a change in attitude. We never replaced a klefbom which killed us....nobody to replace him and we were already thin back there. Chia made a huge mistake in evaluating the team for the whole year. Wasted year....

I still think we have the horses up front to walk over most teams, I does not make sense that we are not in the playoffs.

Its been proven that supposed all star teams of just skill is no gurantee for success. Theres only one puck, you need grit, size heart etc besides just pure skill. To say the oilers have all the horses up front, is not correct in that, they have not been a top scoring team . Klefbom is not Bobby Orr, hes a good up and coming defencemen but his absence should not have crippled this team. There are still many issues on this team besides simply adding a defencemen or 2.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad