Confirmed Signing with Link: Oilers decline to match offer sheets for Broberg and Holloway

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
How did the last RFA offer-sheet signing eventually turn out? Has Kotkaniemi delivered reasonable value on his various contracts with Carolina?

It's my impression that big UFA signings seldom work out for the successful bidders, and I'm wondering whether RFA offer sheets give a bit more favourable result.

I must say, I'm impressed with the Oilers' discipline in thinking this through and not jumping into contracts they would rather not sign.

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
Armstrong did bend them over and the Oilers totally messed up managing these players. But player evaluation is always relative to cap hit. As soon as they signed those offer sheets, their value plummeted.
The money they signed for is irrelevant. They spent signing older guys and allowed two of their top prospects to go unsigned into Aug just sitting their to be plucked.

Losing two of their top prospects for a 2, two 3rds, and a throw in is hardly a success.

CantHaveTkachev

Jealousy
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
The piece in The Athletic today has an interesting snippet about Broberg

I can get being a little homesick maybe and wanting familiarity around you, but that's a bit odd, in context. They were a game away from the Stanley Cup two months ago and remain favourites to go back to the big dance next spring. Does it say something about the team unity in Edmonton that they couldn't keep guys feeling connected?
Broberg was in the minors for most of the year...tough to be "connected" when you aren't around the big club all season

CantHaveTkachev

Jealousy
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
The money they signed for is irrelevant. They spent signing older guys and allowed two of their top prospects to go unsigned into Aug just sitting their to be plucked.

Losing two of their top prospects for a 2, two 3rds, and a throw in is hardly a success.
of course it's relevant in a cap world

the entire point of young players on the roster is for them to outperform their contracts

MeHateHe

Dec 24, 2006
Broberg was in the minors for most of the year...tough to be "connected" when you aren't around the big club all season
Fair point. I guess I was struck by a decision to leave a potential Cup contender because he wanted to hang out with people who made him feel more welcome. It's not a mindset I would have - I'd be pretty eager to keep playing with the best player in the world and ride his coattails all the way to a ring.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
This certainly isn't the end of the world for the Oilers. They shouldn't be paying THAT (combined) much for those two in the next two years. That said, the majority of cup teams have young guys who are outperforming their contracts. I look at their current roster and don't see any solid "deals", I only see market-value guys, with the minor exception in Jeff Skinner.

Their current roster should be MORE than enough to make the playoffs. They should be putting the work into dump cap and accrue space and picks for the TDL. Adding a top 4 dman and a bottom 6 depth player should be their aim and given recent TDL prices, I think they have what it takes to do it.

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
of course it's relevant in a cap world

the entire point of young players on the roster is for them to outperform their contracts
The point is they allowed for this to happen, ffs. If the mgt was a little competent they would have locked them up months ago or moved them for a better return and none of this would have happened.

You actually saying losing these two guys is a good thing or a good management of assets, lol.

Last edited:

TheShape

Oct 25, 2018
Armstrong did bend them over and the Oilers totally messed up managing these players. But player evaluation is always relative to cap hit. As soon as they signed those offer sheets, their value plummeted.
The biggest blunder was allowing it to reach the offer sheet point. If both RFAs weren't accepting the (reported) lowball offers, trade players by date X and surely fetch a better return than a 2nd and a 3rd.

Massive arrogance to allow this to sit idle all summer assuming the pair would cave and accept by September. Looks good on the organization.

PuckG

Feb 26, 2015

I can get being a little homesick maybe and wanting familiarity around you, but that's a bit odd, in context. They were a game away from the Stanley Cup two months ago and remain favourites to go back to the big dance next spring. Does it say something about the team unity in Edmonton that they couldn't keep guys feeling connected?
Not really. Broberg has been wanting more opportunity for a long time. On top of that, he got something like 200% + of what he was getting from Edmonton. Easy decision.

Edmonton also has Ekholm as Swedish influence, but Broberg rightly took the money where he could find it.

CantHaveTkachev

Jealousy
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Fair point. I guess I was struck by a decision to leave a potential Cup contender because he wanted to hang out with people who made him feel more welcome. It's not a mindset I would have - I'd be pretty eager to keep playing with the best player in the world and ride his coattails all the way to a ring.
he requested a trade back in December, probably due to lack of NHL playing time

tkb81

Mar 15, 2009
Fair point. I guess I was struck by a decision to leave a potential Cup contender because he wanted to hang out with people who made him feel more welcome. It's not a mindset I would have - I'd be pretty eager to keep playing with the best player in the world and ride his coattails all the way to a cup

Hockeys a business.. I don't care where I'm working if someone offers me a 300 percent increase from what my current employer offered .. I'm willing to move haha

Fair point. I guess I was struck by a decision to leave a potential Cup contender because he wanted to hang out with people who made him feel more welcome. It's not a mindset I would have - I'd be pretty eager to keep playing with the best player in the world and ride his coattails all the way to a cup

Hockeys a business.. I don't care where I'm working if someone offers me a 300 percent increase from what my current employer offered .. I'm willing to move haha

Reactions: PuckG

theVladiator

May 26, 2018
This certainly isn't the end of the world for the Oilers. They shouldn't be paying THAT (combined) much for those two in the next two years. That said, the majority of cup teams have young guys who are outperforming their contracts. I look at their current roster and don't see any solid "deals", I only see market-value guys, with the minor exception in Jeff Skinner.

Their current roster should be MORE than enough to make the playoffs. They should be putting the work into dump cap and accrue space and picks for the TDL. Adding a top 4 dman and a bottom 6 depth player should be their aim and given recent TDL prices, I think they have what it takes to do it.

I would actually put Skinner under "market value", as he is a bit of a wild-card. He was just bought out, having been wildly inconsistent for his former team. He could be great, or he could suck something terrible, hard to make a confident prediction.

Underpaid Oilers (IMO): Hyman, Draisaitl, Ekholm, RNH, Bouchard.

HarrySPlinkett

Not a film critic
Feb 4, 2010
Calgary
How did the last RFA offer-sheet signing eventually turn out? Has Kotkaniemi delivered reasonable value on his various contracts with Carolina?

It's my impression that big UFA signings seldom work out for the successful bidders, and I'm wondering whether RFA offer sheets give a bit more favourable result.

I must say, I'm impressed with the Oilers' discipline in thinking this through and not jumping into contracts they would rather not sign.

Kotkaniemi is 23 years old.

He's played almost 400 NHL games at centre

In Montreal, he was a 0.36 PPG player.

In Carolina, he’s been a 0.43 PPG player, who took a step back following a career year.

It happens.

He will account for less than four percent of their cap within three years, and at the end of his deal he’ll be 29.

The idea that the Kotkaniemi signing is some sort of horrid blunder that Carolina Desperately needs to clear out is internet group think.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I’ll take a second and a 3rd over paying Holloway and Broberg 7 million dollars lol
Ya think so? With the Oilers drafting record, in rounds other than the 1st, it seems like a long shot to get a couple of replacement players equal to or better than former 1st round picks Broberg and Holloway.
Good luck though. Maybe things will change under Bowman and he'll gut the Oilers amateur scouting dept this year and make it into one worth a damn.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Kotkaniemi is 23 years old.

He's played almost 400 NHL games at centre

In Montreal, he was a 0.36 PPG player.

In Carolina, he’s been a 0.43 PPG player, who took a step back following a career year.

It happens.

He will account for less than four percent of their cap within three years, and at the end of his deal he’ll be 29.

The idea that the Kotkaniemi signing is some sort of horrid blunder that Carolina Desperately needs to clear out is internet group think.
If your a cup contender spending 6 million + on him was absurd.

Ya think so? With the Oilers drafting record, in rounds other than the 1st, it seems like a long shot to get a couple of replacement players equal to or better than former 1st round picks Broberg and Holloway.
Good luck though. Maybe things will change under Bowman and he'll gut the Oilers amateur scouting dept this year and make it into one worth a damn.
There is no scenario where it’s smart for an NHL team to spend 7 million dollars on those players. These two are worth about 3 million combined and that might even be a tad high. The value they had was their low cap hit without that they have no value to a team trying to win a cup.

Reactions: iCanada

ElPrimeTime

Dec 23, 2014
Edmonton, AB
And I will not miss wasting having to show win win deals which you and others constantly rejected, only to now at last have the end result bottom line prove I was right, Oil were better off accepting those offers.

Enjoy Knoblauch, Rs should have promoted him.

You haven't proven anything, let alone that you were right. In this thread, you had the following offer:

2 2nds from the Rangers (which they don't have), Sykora and Lindgren at $2.25M
for
Holloway, Broberg and 2 3rds

You proposed these types of trades during the season and had the Oilers pulled the trigger, it could/would have impacted their playoff run.

Oilers got caught waiting too long to sign their young RFAs and chose other options than matching. It's appearing more and more likely that once Holland knew he was done, he didn't care about the future. Only looked at the season and that's it. Your trade last year wouldn't have benefited the Oilers at all and when written out, actually seems worse than what they were forced to do which breaks down to:

Holloway, Broberg, Ceci, a 3rd and a 4th
for
Emberson, Podkolzin, Fischer, a 2nd and 2 3rds

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
If your a cup contender spending 6 million + on him was absurd.

There is no scenario where it’s smart for an NHL team to spend 7 million dollars on those players. These two are worth about 3 million combined and that might even be a tad high. The value they had was their low cap hit without that they have no value to a team trying to win a cup.
Doug Armstrong disagrees with you. I think, in a couple of years, you will regret trying to lowball both players and then letting them walk while you wasted money on a player like Corey Perry.
Over paying for 2 years was the cost of doing business for Armstrong. I imagine he's quite happy the way things went down. StL just got stronger and cost was acceptable. Edmonton is now weaker.

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
Horse trading with what? You may have the cap space, but you don't have the assets. If Dallas, Vegas, Colorado, Vancouver, Rangers, Florida, Tampa, Carolina, Nashville, etc offers a 1st for the RHD you want, why is team X going to accept your mid late 2nd for that player?
We'll have to see how things go right? The whole point is that we'll have the ability to actually have options, and can get some additional help. Not to mention we have our 1st for the year after, right? So moot point again on your part. Your posts are seriously insufferable. You need to change your name to McDebbieDowner.

200w.gif

Reactions: TheNumber4

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany

Odd vibe to play to, considering Steen and Sundquist are also the only Swedes around the team. And Edmonton has a decent collection with Ekholm, Janmark, and now Arvidsson.

Still I do get the feeling Broberg never felt particularly connected to the Oilers (see last year's trade request), and he just got over 9mil guaranteed. I don't think he's looking longingly in the rearview mirror.

Imo Holloway was caught off guard though, as I think he viewed it as a negotiating tactic to force more from Edmonton.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
I know people love to rag on every decision that Oilers management make, but Oilers not matching was 100% the right move here. That is a gross amount of money to pay these 2 players on a team that is going all in to win THIS season.

Last season and this season is Edmontons window to try to win a Cup. Obviously last year they made it very close and now this upcoming season their team and fans expect another Cup final for them. Edmonton isn’t going to handcuff themselves by paying these 2 players 7 mill a year combine in a season like this upcoming season. Sure it potentially sucks losing those 2 for their future but now they can use cap that they created to help the team win NOW.

Reactions: HarrySPlinkett

finnishflash13

Oct 28, 2020
Odd vibe to play to, considering Steen and Sundquist are also the only Swedes around the team. And Edmonton has a decent collection with Ekholm, Janmark, and now Arvidsson.

Still I do get the feeling Broberg never felt particularly connected to the Oilers (see last year's trade request), and he just got over 9mil guaranteed. I don't think he's looking longingly in the rearview mirror.

Imo Holloway was caught off guard though, as I think he viewed it as a negotiating tactic to force more from Edmonton.
if that is even a legitimate take, which i question, the Blues have loads of Swedes, and even other Europeans, in the pipeline so he shouldn't be feeling lonely for too long.

Reactions: Memento

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
We'll have to see how things go right? The whole point is that we'll have the ability to actually have options, and can get some additional help. Not to mention we have our 1st for the year after, right? So moot point again on your part. Your posts are seriously insufferable. You need to change your name to McDebbieDowner.

200w.gif
Debbie Downer? Unlike yourself, McJedi isn't an Oilers fanboy. Its not his job to take part in one of the Oilers numerous CJ's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad