Confirmed Signing with Link: Oilers decline to match offer sheets for Broberg and Holloway

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

jjniner

Feb 28, 2016
Thenumber4:

• Be a restricted-free agent.
  • Have at least one expired NHL contract.
  • Have played a set number of NHL games (80 for forwards and defensemen, 28 for goalies).
  • Be under 27 years old on July 1.
  • Be without a contract for the next season.
  • Have received a qualifying offer by June 25 or Monday after the NHL Entry Draft.

Broberg has played in 81 games, and I believe met all the other criteria? No? If he would have played in two less games, he would not have been eligible.

Not sure how this is not true unless he does not meet all the other criteria. If he does, Edmonton management really screwed the pooch!

Hamilton Bulldogs

Jan 11, 2022
I feel like both Broberg and Halloway could’ve made more in the long run with having a couple of good playoff runs with Edmonton.

Much money has been made by being a key depth piece of winning teams in sports. Maybe both guys are thinking they’ve already shown their best.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Two players with a grand total of two full NHL seasons combined for 6.9M? Both played the majority of last season in the AHL. The value in the players was the cost control. Ballooning their contracts wipes out a ton of value on the players.
Before losing Broberg and Holloway the Oilers good prospect pool was very small. Now it's even worse if you can imagine that. Broberg and Holloway had much more value to the Oilers than cost control. They were a significant part of their youth who were legit NHL'ers. I can't think of any NHL team that wouldn't love to have either player on their roster. The Oilers future just got a little dimmer.

junyab

Jan 22, 2013
So the old "numbers matter unless you don't like them... then they are meaningless". Gotcha.
Me... I will go with the odds... particularly when they are slanted so much in favour of a No Repeat.

Ok, so going by that logic, in the last 3 decades (from 1990 to 1999, from 2000 to 2009, and from 2010 to 2019) no single player has tallied the most points in a season more than 4 times . So I conclude it's very unlikely McDavid won't this decade. See? Pretty dumb argument when you add context right?

The Oilers likely won't make it back to the finals in 2025 and they haven't improved their odds over the last month. They, in fact, have made them worse and the window to win the Stanley Cup is getting smaller and smaller.

There ya go. Now you make a legitimate argument, this time, that their team, from recent trades, are now a worse team. But the original poster was saying the no matter the support staff for McDavid, Drai and Bouchard (along with RNH and Hyman, both locked up for the next several years) it doesn't matter so much about their support staff. And I agree.

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017
I feel like both Broberg and Halloway could’ve made more in the long run with having a couple of good playoff runs with Edmonton.

Much money has been made by being a key depth piece of winning teams in sports. Maybe both guys are thinking they’ve already shown their best.
I think that neither HollowWay nor Blues expected the Oilers to let them both go... Most people expected the Oilers to match DH and let Broberg go.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
When you acquire "all about the money" players, their attitude will rub off on the rest of the roster and come back to hurt the Blues' payroll structure and attitudes down the road. If I'm the Oilers, I'm saying good riddance.
This is not meant to rub in Toronto but I feel like the Tavares signing had the same effect on the Leafs core. The St. Louis players will want the same kind of treatment as they got with Broberg and Holloway

Reactions: Gilmour1996

Louie the Blue

Because it's a trap
Jul 27, 2010
When you acquire "all about the money" players, their attitude will rub off on the rest of the roster and come back to hurt the Blues' payroll structure and attitudes down the road. If I'm the Oilers, I'm saying good riddance.
What?

Players should absolutely maximize their earning potential while they can. Do you think McDavid is going to take a discount?

Reactions: Memento

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
This is not meant to rub in Toronto but I feel like the Tavares signing had the same effect on the Leafs core. The St. Louis players will want the same kind of treatment as they got with Broberg and Holloway

Tavares didn't sign an offersheet. And he was offered more money from other teams. So your post makes absolutely no sense.

Reactions: Memento

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
What??? Are you seriously talking about Broberg and Holloway? LOL.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
He makes $12.5 mil. / year.

I doubt his next contract will be less than what he makes currently.
Obviously it will be more. It will still be less than he could fetch on the open market if he wanted. The 12.5 mil a year was also less than he could have got.

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta
Before losing Broberg and Holloway the Oilers good prospect pool was very small. Now it's even worse if you can imagine that. Broberg and Holloway had much more value to the Oilers than cost control. They were a significant part of their youth who were legit NHL'ers. I can't think of any NHL team that wouldn't love to have either player on their roster. The Oilers future just got a little dimmer.
I would love to see what people would have said the value of these players was last trade deadline

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis

You’re capped as a depth piece. The he Blues aren’t the worst team in the NHL. They have a much better chance of becoming a top of the lineup player in STL than EDM and will most likely still have a decent chance at making the playoffs.

Not sure how accurate the reports are. But I thought I saw EDM was at like 1m x3 ok Holloway and under 1.5m for a couple years on Broberg. That’s a pretty significant anoint of cash for players who aren’t gauranteed a long career.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
If we play it right, we'll have about 9 million in cap space to play with if Kane is on LTIR...I think we can do just fine, thanks.
Horse trading with what? You may have the cap space, but you don't have the assets. If Dallas, Vegas, Colorado, Vancouver, Rangers, Florida, Tampa, Carolina, Nashville, etc offers a 1st for the RHD you want, why is team X going to accept your mid late 2nd for that player?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad