Confirmed Signing with Link: Oilers decline to match offer sheets for Broberg and Holloway

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
No he didn't. He was better than over the hill Cam Talbot and career backup David Rittich with LA and backup Arturs Silovs with Vancouver but Dallas's Jake Oettinger and Florida's Sergei Bobrovsky were better.
He outplayed Oettinger and Bob actually. And Shesterkin for that matter. And he did it at a fraction of their cap hits.

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
I believe this is Edmonton being saved by St. Louis. I can't believe how suddenly highly rated these two busting players are. It doesn't matter how young a player is when they can't play effectively in the NHL! Broberg and Holloway are easily replaceable and likely overrated by their own management leading them to want to save face instead of cutting losses. The Blues will regret doing this very soon.

Can we frame posts for future use?

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
Can we frame posts for future use?
I'm ok with it, go for it. It kind of did help, but only in the sense that it forced us to be creative and deal with our cap space issues. we got fairly good replacements for Broberg and Holloway in Emberson and Podkolzin, but I think Broberg has the potential higher ceiling. Emberson fills as a RHD, which is what we need. Playing Broberg at RHD was just not going to work, and that left a limited role with Edmonton. He'll get a good opportunity now, and I wish them both the best of luck.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
The Oilers have short term priorities, It's Cup or Bust for yet another year. Usually that's at the expense of long term priorities. Short term, they needed Vet Scoring Wingers that can be relied upon. They know this cause guys like Foegele and Mcleod weren't reliable in that dept. in the playoffs. They shored up immediate needs during the UFA period where if they hadn't they wouldn't have got the wingers they wanted due to the competition for UFAs. I guess we will see if it's a mistake when these guys suit up for a full year in the NHL, something that hasn't even happened in their careers yet. But alot of this transaction or any in the NHL will depend on how the players perform. We shall see.

I know in a vacuum if given the opportunity to sign Holloway at 2.2M or Broberg at 4.5M the Oilers this year, the Oilers would walk. The picks compensation makes it even easier to walk from.

He literally out played all 4 goalies in the final four rounds. Goalies that are or will be soon more than double his cap hit. I think that shows ability in pressure games. Are there any more pressure filled games in this League than the last 2 rounds of the playoffs?

He didn’t out play Silovs and in fact Skinner was benched two of the games for the backup. And I’m pretty sure Silovs doesn’t make twice as much as Skinner. 😆

Memento

Future Authoress.
Sep 12, 2011
St. Louis, Missouri
But they didn't ignore the long term. They did a mix of long term and short term this off-season. They trades for 2 former 1st round picks in Savoie (9OA pick) and Podkolzin (10OA pick). They also traded into the first round of the draft and drafted O' Reilly. So they already multi tasked. It was a mixture of moves with an understandable priority on the short term and next year's playoff run due to the Cup Window. Perry signing is part of that short term priority and from all reports he was liked in the room and helped the cause.

You signed them to bigger contracts more than they are worth. The Oilers actually could have "afforded" it and matched. They chose not to match what will immediately be negative value contracts. We didn't ignore them, we made choices based on our priorities. Negotiations happened to sign them through out the summer, and progress wasn't made to the point of a signing. You act like the Oilers didn't try, they tried. Broberg's agent specifically held out for the possibility of an O/S.

The Oilers traded Ryan McLeod, who was still only twenty-four, part of a winning culture, and had been a good soldier, for Savoie alone, an undersized center/wing who got hurt in the AHL in the limited time he played there. I will give you Podkolzin; that was a savvy move. Don't know enough about Sam O'Reilly to comment, but he's years away, and judging by your team's priorities, you'll probably deal him as well. You dealt Bourgault, you dealt Schaefer, and now you've lost Holloway and Broberg. That's four of your last five first round picks. That's the youth I'm talking about, the youth your team is currently missing, that other teams will likely profit from.

And you are missing my point: the Oilers should've prioritized Holloway and Broberg first instead of guys like Perry. They had all the time in the world to do the things you say they couldn't. Broberg and Holloway were apparently willing to settle for much less before the offer sheets from the Blues. But the Oilers management continuously lowballed them and treated them like afterthoughts.

Like I've said, time and again, an organization has to focus on their own before they look to the outside. I'm not saying they shouldn't have made the moves they did, but they damn well could've signed Broberg and/or Holloway to their reported price at least around the same time, if not before, they made those moves. If they couldn't, it shows incompetence on their part - and believe me, as a Los Angeles Rams fan since their days in St. Louis, I know what incompetent management looks like.

Reactions: TheShape

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
But they didn't ignore the long term. They did a mix of long term and short term this off-season. They trades for 2 former 1st round picks in Savoie (9OA pick) and Podkolzin (10OA pick). They also traded into the first round of the draft and drafted O' Reilly. So they already multi tasked. It was a mixture of moves with an understandable priority on the short term and next year's playoff run due to the Cup Window. Perry signing is part of that short term priority and from all reports he was liked in the room and helped the cause.

You signed them to bigger contracts more than they are worth. The Oilers actually could have "afforded" it and matched. They chose not to match what will immediately be negative value contracts. We didn't ignore them, we made choices based on our priorities. Negotiations happened to sign them through out the summer, and progress wasn't made to the point of a signing. You act like the Oilers didn't try, they tried. Broberg's agent specifically held out for the possibility of an O/S.

According to you. And yet still way more proven, productive, established, by a large margin than both Holloway and Broberg. My point stands. It's a bad comp.
Nah. Holland tends to leave prospects to stew in the AHL, so Newhook playing more games doesnt mean much. Holloway for a 3rd is an absolute travesty.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
The Oilers traded Ryan McLeod, who was still only twenty-four, part of a winning culture, and had been a good soldier, for Savoie alone, an undersized center/wing who got hurt in the AHL in the limited time he played there. I will give you Podkolzin; that was a savvy move. Don't know enough about Sam O'Reilly to comment, but he's years away, and judging by your team's priorities, you'll probably deal him as well. You dealt Bourgault, you dealt Schaefer, and now you've lost Holloway and Broberg. That's four of your last five first round picks. That's the youth I'm talking about, the youth your team is currently missing, that other teams will likely profit from.

And you are missing my point: the Oilers should've prioritized Holloway and Broberg first instead of guys like Perry. They had all the time in the world to do the things you say they couldn't. Broberg and Holloway were apparently willing to settle for much less before the offer sheets from the Blues. But the Oilers management continuously lowballed them and treated them like afterthoughts.

Like I've said, time and again, an organization has to focus on their own before they look to the outside. I'm not saying they shouldn't have made the moves they did, but they damn well could've signed Broberg and/or Holloway to their reported price at least around the same time, if not before, they made those moves. If they couldn't, it shows incompetence on their part - and believe me, as a Los Angeles Rams fan since their days in St. Louis, I know what incompetent management looks like.
My comment was to show they had an eye on the long term and short term. Your opinion about the quality of the players involved is irrelevant to the point made. I actually was surprised how much focus they had on the long term given where the priority of needs this team has.

We've actually moved away from every single 1st rd pick in the Tyler Wright drafting era. Wright is a moron and I wouldn't be surprised if all his picks failed. He was fired last year before these prospects even really had a chance to show what they are.

But let's look at some of these moves you are criticizing. XB dealt, but he's a bust, happy they moved on. Schaeffer dealt before anyone knew what he was for one of the best trades in Oilers history for Ekholm. And now Shaeffer is currently busting.

The Oilers offered them appropriate amounts for their histories as players and current cap crunch. Yes the Oilers Cup Contention and Cap Crunch squeezed them out. But that happens to top contending teams.

Reactions: Bejeezus

Memento

Future Authoress.
Sep 12, 2011
St. Louis, Missouri
My comment was to show they had an eye on the long term and short term. Your opinion about the quality of the players involved is irrelevant to the point made. I actually was surprised how much focus they had on the long term given where the priority of needs this team has.

We've actually moved away from every single 1st rd pick in the Tyler Wright drafting era. Wright is a moron and I wouldn't be surprised if all his picks failed. He was fired last year before these prospects even really had a chance to show what they are.

The Oilers offered them appropriate amounts for their histories as players and current cap crunch. Yes the Oilers Cup Contention and Cap Crunch squeezed them out. But that happens to top contending teams.

And you're surprised that they didn't like the offers they received, that made them basically afterthoughts as their GM signed multiple older players outside of the organization to big contracts while they were expected to play for peanuts? If a GM wants to keep a player, they work on what the player wants, try to find a fair price that both the team and player are fine with. A little negotiation goes a very long way. If your team has a cap crunch, you move out the players that are the cause of it. That means that Ceci and possibly Kulak should've been moved out far before Broberg, that maybe they shouldn't have left Holloway in the lurch. Younger players gaining bigger roles is what helps them become better, and they're at an age - and proved in the playoffs - that maybe they are ready, after all (the Blues, for example, had a nineteen-year-old Robert Thomas and a twenty-three-year-old Vince Dunn the year they won. Not the best players then, but we stuck with Thomas...and should've stuck with Dunn).

Fate almighty, all this back-and-forth...because of something that doesn't even matter now.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
And you're surprised that they didn't like the offers they received, that made them basically afterthoughts as their GM signed multiple older players outside of the organization to big contracts while they were expected to play for peanuts? If a GM wants to keep a player, they work on what the player wants, try to find a fair price that both the team and player are fine with. A little negotiation goes a very long way. If your team has a cap crunch, you move out the players that are the cause of it. That means that Ceci and possibly Kulak should've been moved out far before Broberg, that maybe they shouldn't have left Holloway in the lurch. Younger players gaining bigger roles is what helps them become better, and they're at an age - and proved in the playoffs - that maybe they are ready, after all (the Blues, for example, had a nineteen-year-old Robert Thomas and a twenty-year-old Vince Dunn the year they won).

Fate almighty, all this back-and-forth...because of something that doesn't even matter now.
No I never said I was surprised they didn't like the offers. In fact, I think it's reasonable for them not like it. And again you act like no negotiation happened. Except they did in fact negotiate, but agents aren't dumb and their job is to extract maximum value for their clients. It's very possible, even likely both Holloway and Broberg's agents did exactly that and anticipated the possibility of an offersheet, which is exactly what happened. If outsiders like Serravalli and even some posters on HF could foresee an offersheet coming, of course their agents would also. which is why a deal never came to fruition.

To the second half of your point, it's again a question of priorities. You know most teams ASSUME that their cost controlled RFAs aren't the priority when you have UFAs being passed around the league and guys like Draisaitl to sign. Offer sheets happen ONCE in a decade in the NHL and you act like that's supposed to take precedent over building out Cup viable roster for next year. For SOME teams a focus on the future makes more sense, but not all teams are built the same. For the Oilers, the priority is and will always be a Cup in the short term.

Kingsfan1

Oct 1, 2006
Staples Center
Holloway's Stat Line for last year: 38 GP 6G 3A 9PTS. If you told me the Oilers signed a player with that stat line for $2.29M, would you think that was a good deal?

Broberg's Stat Line for last year: 12 GP 0G 2A 2PTS. If you told me the Oilers signed a player with that stat line for $4.58M, would you think that was a good deal?

Rumor has been debunked. That's not how RFA contracts work.

I dont think their regular season stats had anything to do with their offersheet cap hit. It was their performances in the postseason and the potential upside that warranted their caphits . Defenseman normally take longer to develop and Broberg did really well under presssure in the postseason and Oilers were better with him in the lineup than not . Holloway also showed promise with his speed and skill and chipped in 5 goals which secondary scoring and creating chances is key in a long playoff run .

Jus sayin

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I dont think their regular season stats had anything to do with their offersheet cap hit. It was their performances in the postseason and the potential upside that warranted their caphits . Defenseman normally take longer to develop and Broberg did really well under presssure in the postseason and Oilers were better with him in the lineup than not . Holloway also showed promise with his speed and skill and chipped in 5 goals which secondary scoring and creating chances is key in a long playoff run .

Jus sayin
No doubt. I liked what both players showed in the playoffs, don't get me wrong. But in a vacuum players with those types of statlines don't get paid anywhere near the offers to Broberg and Holloway. Potential and small sample showings have some value. But also creates lots of risk if that's what you are paying a player for. For MOST (nearly all) contracts offered in this League it's their actual production that drives numbers.

Memento

Future Authoress.
Sep 12, 2011
St. Louis, Missouri
No I never said I was surprised they didn't like the offers. In fact, I think it's reasonable for them not like it. And again you act like no negotiation happened. Except they did in fact negotiate, but agents aren't dumb and their job is to extract maximum value for their clients. It's very possible, even likely both Holloway and Broberg's agents did exactly that and anticipated the possibility of an offersheet, which is exactly what happened. If outsiders like Serravalli and even some posters on HF could foresee an offersheet coming, of course their agents would also. which is why a deal never came to fruition.

To the second half of your point, it's again a question of priorities. You know most teams ASSUME that their cost controlled RFAs aren't the priority when you have UFAs being passed around the league and guys like Draisaitl to sign. Offer sheets happen ONCE in a decade in the NHL and you act like that's supposed to take precedent over building out Cup viable roster for next year. For SOME teams a focus on the future makes more sense, but not all teams are built the same. For the Oilers, the priority is and will always be a Cup in the short term.

GMs are supposed to know that an offer sheet is more than just a possibility. That's a massive part of their job description. It's not even once in a decade: how long ago was Kotkaniemi offer-sheeted? I never said no negotiation happened; I said that the negotiation that should've happened effective immediately like most competent GMs would do was an afterthought, and your team was burned twice because of it. Broberg and Holloway were both willing to come back, and your team lowballed both of them, signed older free agents past their prime over both of them, and therefore lost both of them.

Most good teams are able to multitask and focus on more than one signing at a time. If Jackson/Bowman/whomever is in charge in Edmonton is this poor at multitasking (not sure about the former, but with Bowman and his numerous screwups? I'm not surprised.), then maybe they shouldn't be a GM of a team that's trying to win Lord Stanley's Cup.

If I sound harsh, I apologize. I'm just tired of arguing my point.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
So the blues should be happy that the only way they can get players is to overpay them

An over pay is an over pay regardless how much cap space you have

Lol I know it makes you feel better to say dumb shit like this but the Blues are one of the best teams in the league when it comes to converting late 1sts into NHLers. Their track record speaks for itself and their prospect pool is very strong at the moment. Dvorsky, Snuggerud, Stenberg, Lindstein, Jiricek and that's just the 1st round guys sans Dean whom the Blues acquired in trade......then you have a plethora of guys a tier down from that including some recently drafted defense depth like Ralph and L. Fischer. Now here's the part I'd really like you to pay attention to, the Blues will have the top 4 of their prospect pool available as options in '25-'26 and will basically be able to remodel their forward group overnight with a bunch of cheap ELC talent. So you were saying some dumb, uninformed shit about the Blues not being able to get players unless they overpay?

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
GMs are supposed to know that an offer sheet is more than just a possibility. That's a massive part of their job description. It's not even once in a decade: how long ago was Kotkaniemi offer-sheeted? I never said no negotiation happened; I said that the negotiation that should've happened effective immediately like most competent GMs would do was an afterthought, and your team was burned twice because of it. Broberg and Holloway were both willing to come back, and your team lowballed both of them, signed older free agents past their prime over both of them, and therefore lost both of them.

Most good teams are able to multitask and focus on more than one signing at a time. If Jackson/Bowman/whomever is in charge in Edmonton is this poor at multitasking (not sure about the former, but with Bowman and his numerous screwups? I'm not surprised.), then maybe they shouldn't be a GM of a team that's trying to win Lord Stanley's Cup.

If I sound harsh, I apologize. I'm just tired of arguing my point.
And who’s to say the Oilers GM didn’t know it was a possibility? That’s an assumption on your part based on a failed negotiation that was attempted. A failed negotiation that was due to the very real possibility of an offersheet in the offseason and due to their lack of any history of play in season. Not all negotiations go the way you want and the Oilers didn’t get the job done. But is that cause they were incompetent or cause of the unique situation with these two players? That’s were we differ on this, and we can agree to disagree. No biggie.

And then you criticize Oilers for a lack of multi tasking. When they probably already had the most active off season in the League. I don’t think this situation was created by a lack of effort or competence on the Oilers management part, atleast not current management. Maybe some blame can be placed in Holland for not signing them in season, but again there’s lot of reasons why an agent wouldn’t do that, for example they could say, well why don’t we see how the season plays out first before signing something preemptively. That’s the smart thing for an agent to do for his client and that’s exactly what they did.

• Haha
Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
I'm ok with it, go for it. It kind of did help, but only in the sense that it forced us to be creative and deal with our cap space issues. we got fairly good replacements for Broberg and Holloway in Emberson and Podkolzin, but I think Broberg has the potential higher ceiling. Emberson fills as a RHD, which is what we need. Playing Broberg at RHD was just not going to work, and that left a limited role with Edmonton. He'll get a good opportunity now, and I wish them both the best of luck.

Nobody is overhyping either player and this is far different from saying the Blues will regret acquiring them.

Holloway and Broberg fit better with where the Blues organization is compared to Edmonton. They’re both young and will have more room to improve.

The Blues forwards are already crowded. It will be worse over the next 2-3 years.

Schenn Thomas Neighbors
Saad Buchnevich Kyrou
Holloway Faksa Texier
Joseph Sundqvist Toropchenko

Kapanen and Walker are placeholders

Dvorsky, Bolduc, and Dean will be fighting for a roster spot. Bolduc played in the top 6 at the end of last year and fit. Army commented today about it. I hope Dvorsky makes the team and I won’t be surprised if Bolduc is on the roster either.

Snuggerud will be joining the team when the college season ends.

The following year they could see Stenberg joining the team.

The D will be getting help in a couple of years from Lindstein followed by Jiricek.

Leddy Parayko
Broberg Faulk
Suter/Perunovich Kessel

Tucker, Joseph, Krug (LTIR)

The Blues are being built as an entire team. Look for them to be aggressive in 2-3 years in free agency and trades for the right players.

With no moves in 2 years the forwards could be:

Neighbors Thomas Snuggerud
Buchnevich Dvorsky Kyrou
Holloway Stenberg Bolduc
Joseph Schenn Toropchenko

Getting Broberg and Holloway for peanuts is a win. The Blues will never be filled with superstars. It will be built to win with depth similar to the 2019 team. The difference is this time the team will be younger.

Reactions: Mike Liut

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Your opinions are so absurdly homer I look for them in Oiler related threads to get a laugh.
This isn’t an opinion. This is fact, and is backed up by the stats.

That’s okay. I look for opinions on the mains to see how wrong Nucks fans are all the time. For example, the entirety of the playoffs where Nucks fans were 99% wrong about everything said Oilers related.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
This isn’t an opinion. This is fact, and is backed up by the stats.

That’s okay. I look for opinions on the mains to see how wrong Nucks fans are all the time. For example, the entirety of the playoffs where Nucks fans were 99% wrong about everything said Oilers related.

What stats?

Also, it feels like Edmonton got ahead of themselves with all the free agents, got caught, freed up money to retain their guys, then woke up the next morning thinking “wait.. what about Drai and Bouchard? Maybe.. maybe we learned somethin here.”

Still like how it works out for Edmonton overall, I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad