Confirmed Signing with Link: Oilers decline to match offer sheets for Broberg and Holloway

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Why didn't Edmonton just match or offer their own contracts to the RFA's ? Better question, why did the ex-Oilers players accept ? They obviously wanted out.

Every team has the ability to match an offer-sheet, if it was actually such a lowball, Edmonton easily matches. Just sounds like poor management.
Broberg wanted out. He also got quadruple his salary and its in my opinion that he won't be anything approaching worth it.

From the sounds of things, Holloway had to be convinced to sign this offer sheet by his agent. Given that his agent only has two clients, I'm wondering if said agent was more worried about a mortgage payment than anything else.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
It's funny because everyone else was saying how shit Ceci is and it was Oilers fans arguing that he's been great since coming there
That's objectively false on the Oilers boards. He was shit on constantly for 3 years (myself included). You could stomach him in the season, which is a large reason why it doesn't matter what the Oilers roll out on their right side early this year, but he was caved in constantly every playoffs and he was one of HF Oil's favourite whipping boys, and for good reason.

Last edited:

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
wouldve made a lot more sense to trade Ceci prior to July 1.... going into the season with Nurse-Kulak-Stetcher-Emberson as your bottom 4 doesnt look like a Cup contending team all of a sudden.
Long ways to go before playoffs.. it wouldn't have been any better with Nurse, Ceci, Desharnais and Broberg.

Reactions: dukeofjive

HockeyScotty

Sep 11, 2021
Emberson is 1 year older than Broberg.
Podkolzin is the same age is Holloway.
If they can upgrade on Cody Ceci and get a "shutdown" defender to pair with either Nurse/Kulak then they can come out of this better off (by gaining the draft picks). Due to the cap situation/LTIR with Kane however they might have to wait until TDL to do so. Still think a vet RHD like Barrie, Schultz, Shattenkirk, Giordano, or Bortuzzo signs for the minimum (highly likely at this point) as well.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Blues were already targeting him before his playoff performance with a deal centered around Buchnevich.
I don't doubt that, but I'm more so talking early in the season when he was expected to make the team and then really didn't do anything to solidify even a bottom pairing role and was sent down. That's when his stock was at its lowest, and it gradually rose throughout the year during the AHL season and into the NHL playoffs.

ICanMotteBelieveIt

Jan 11, 2013
Why? Skinner did well in the playoffs outside of the beginning of the Canucks series. He otherwise wasn't really out goalied the entire playoffs and he played well in the regular season. He's underrated still from when the Oilers didn't play any defense 2 seasons ago.
I'm not sold on Skinner at all.

Reactions: DingerMcSlapshot

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
how do you feel with Nurse-Kulak-Stetcher-Emberson as your bottom 4?

doesnt look like a Cup contending team all of a sudden.
I' guessing they plan on adding with the extra assets they've acquired.

Still a risky move to try and buff up your defence during the season.

Reactions: amnesiac

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I personally would have matched Holloway and let Broberg walk, but I understand why they let Holloway go. I think they've identified #2RD as their weak point that they need to upgrade (only took them 3 failed playoff runs). Ideally I think they want as much cap as possible to get that addressed by the trade deadline. I think they wanted to give Broberg the season on a cheap cap hit to see if he could grow into that role, but at 4.5M you can't gamble on him to grow into that role and then screw yourself out of being able to find a #2RD at the deadline if he struggles.

I also understand why they let Holloway go given the ultimate goal I mentioned above. It was extremely unlikely that Holloway would be seeing top 6 minutes this year. It was also a possibility he might have started on the 4th line given the Janmark-Henrique-Brown line's chemistry last playoffs. Like the player a lot, and would have liked to keep him, but it is what it is. Gives opportunity for one of Podkolzin, Jarventie, Lavoie, Savoie, or Philp to make the team out of camp.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
That's objective false on the Oilers boards. He was shit on constantly for 3 years (myself included). You could stomach him in the season, which is a large reason why it doesn't matter what the Oilers roll out on their right side early this year, but he was caved in constantly every playoffs and he was one of HF Oil's favourite whipping boys, and for good reason.
it's hilarious because it's exactly the opposite of what AvroArrow said haha. Its the people that have been nonstop shitting on him for two seasons that are now trying to paint him as some kind of huge loss

• Haha
Reactions: McFlyingV

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
From the sounds of things, Holloway had to be convinced to sign this offer sheet by his agent. Given that his agent only has two clients, I'm wondering if said agent was more worried about a mortgage payment than anything else.
Sounds like he was more worried about his clients best interests, which is what an agent should do.

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
Broberg wanted out. He also got quadruple his salary and its in my opinion that he won't be anything approaching worth it.

Broberg if rumors are true was offerred 2.2 million over 2 years. 1.1 each year.

I don't know about you but a 3 million dollar raise each year is worth it.

If rumors are true on Holloway he got offerred an extra million with one year less.
I do imagine it took convincing from the agent on this one but again the agent did get his player more money.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Sounds like he was more worried about his clients best interests, which is what an agent should do.
I think it would have been better for his client to win a Cup playing on Leon Draisaitl's left wing then get a much bigger bag later.

Broberg was overjoyed to leave, but from the sounds of it Holloway's agent had to talk fast to get him to sign it.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
it's hilarious because it's exactly the opposite of what AvroArrow said haha. Its the people that have been nonstop shitting on him for two seasons that are now trying to paint him as some kind of huge loss
I've shit on Ceci for years, but at least I'll own it. And it's not even because he's terrible. He's a mediocre #5 imo who got exposed playing too many minutes. My biggest annoyance with him was how bad his puck retrieval and breakout game were. This guy would go back to retrieve a puck with nobody even at the face-off dot yet and somehow make it look like an aggressive forecheck.

I remember one of the more in depth advanced stat tracking companies posted a stat of Oilers D once regarding puck retrievals and controlled zone exits and Ceci was dead last by a mile.

When I have a team filled with high scoring forwards I prefer my defensemen being able to not get themselves hemmed in and able to get the pucks to the forwards. Still not sure if my eyes could believe the breakout pass he made to Janmark for the 1-1 goal in game 7 of the SCF.

HockeyScotty

Sep 11, 2021
So who are the D-men on expiring contracts this year that EDM is targeting at the deadline?
Looking at RHD it pretty much starts with David Savard (MTL) for anyone in the market.
Travis Hamonic (OTT) and someone from Buffalo (either Clifton or Jokiharju could be available)
San Jose now has 3 possible: Cody Ceci, Jan Rutta, and Matt Benning (2 x $1.25m)
I'd also include either Connor Murphy (CHI) who has 2 x $4.4m and a M-NTC (10 yeam) or TJ Brodie (2 x $3.75m).

Provorov (CBJ) and Dumoulin in ANA (Lefties who could possibly play off-hand but not ideal)

The rest depends on who is in the playoff picture around the trade deadline:
Seattle - Adam Larsson/Will Borgen
Washington - Ethan Bear
Detroit - Jeff Petry
Minnesota - Zach Bogosian (2 x $1.25m)

Last edited:

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
So who are the D-men on expiring contracts this year that EDM is targeting at the deadline?
I'm not sure we can say for sure, a lot would depend on if/when teams fall out of the playoff race. Some of the guys I would like are on probable playoff teams, so they probably won't be available, but I'm sure they would be interested in cheaper guys they might be able to re-sign for the price they are currently at, or with only a small bump. I would throw out names like Dante Fabbro, Will Borgen, Henri Jokiharju, or maybe even an older chap like David Savard or Brian Doumoulin, if nobody else is available. A guy like Gavrikov, Chycrun or Provorov might be ideal, but I anticipate they would command a 1st in return, and we don't have one - plus they make too much to extend within our cap structure. Adam Larsson is the dream, but I don't anticipate he will be avaible, or that he would want to come back, given the reason he left in the first place.

They might revisit Ceci at the deadline if nobody else comes available as well. I'm not sure if any RFA's would be available to take a run at, or if anyone else might shake free that isn't going to be a UFA next summer.

Reactions: Tasty Biscuits

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
Looking at RHD it pretty much starts with David Savard (MTL) for anyone in the market.
Travis Hamonic (OTT) and someone from Buffalo (either Clifton or Jokiharju could be available)
San Jose now has 3 possible: Cody Ceci, Jan Rutta, and Matt Benning (2 x $1.25m)
I'd also include either Connor Murphy (CHI) who has 2 x $4.4m and a M-NTC (10 yeam) or TJ Brodie (2 x $3.75m).

Provorov (CBJ) and Dumoulin in ANA (Lefties who could possibly play off-hand but not ideal)

The rest depends on who is in the playoff picture around the trade deadline:
Seattle - Adam Larsson/Will Borgen
Washington - Ethan Bear
Detroit - Jeff Petry
Minnesota - Zach Bogosion (2 x $1.25m)

I think Jan Rutta would be petty good for The Oilers.

I can't see Adam Larsson going back myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad