Confirmed Signing with Link: Oilers decline to match offer sheets for Broberg and Holloway

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Louie the Blue

Because it's a trap
Jul 27, 2010
And if the money didn't matter why did Armstrong not eat 50% and save a 2nd round pick?
1. The Blues have not retained any cap hit across multiple seasons when trading a player since Armstrong has been GM. Nor have they used a buyout.

2. They likely viewed the pick to be less valuable than the cap hit it the Blues would incur if they bought out or retained part of his salary (which would agree with).

3. Hayes was an attempt at a solution to be a third center for a few seasons. He wasn’t the answer. He’s OK at his current cap hit but doesn’t fill the role the Blues brought him in for.

4. If $$$$ was concern, they would have tied a pick to moving Krug

Reactions: Memento

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
So when you've given up 2nd+2nd+3rd+3rd+3rd+prospect you're in fact actually quite likely to be giving up an NHLer making 950k?

Well again we look at it differently.

2nd + 2nd + 3rd + 3rd + 3rd + unsigned 5th rounder + Hayes

For

2nd + 5th + Matthieu + Holloway + Broberg.

So sure the Blues Gave up like a 50% chance at a NHLer in the moves. We don't know if that player will be someone who plays a few seasons or becomes better.

Blues also got 2 current NHLers added to the roster.

Now if we think of what the Oilers got.

Traded out a 3rd 4th Holloway Broberg Ceci

For Podlinki or however his name is spelt
Ty Emberson
2nd
3rd
3rd
Unsigned 5th rounder

I think Edmonton did okay navigating everything however I think I'd rather have what they use to have.

Reactions: ozhenson

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Apparently ye is worth 4.5 or did ypu not get the memo
He isn't. Blues overpaid so Oilers couldn't match. Oilers offered him less than 1.5M x2 which is about what he is worth next season. Blues are banking on him improving big time.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
1. The Blues have not retained any cap hit across multiple seasons when trading a player since Armstrong has been GM. Nor have they used a buyout.

2. They likely viewed the pick to be less valuable than the cap hit it the Blues would incur if they bought out or retained part of his salary (which would agree with).

3. Hayes was an attempt at a solution to be a third center for a few seasons. He wasn’t the answer. He’s OK at his current cap hit but doesn’t fill the role the Blues brought him in for.

4. If $$$$ was concern, they would have tied a pick to moving Krug
"they viewed the pick to be less valuable than the cap hit".

YUP.

So money, and cap hit, in fact DOES matter to St Louis over the next 2 years. And so the amount they overpaid Broberg and Holloway IS relevant

Reactions: Dr Quincy

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
The last week has been an emotional roller coaster for Oilers fans, I imagine. The consensus narrative on the main boards has been fun to watch (and yes, I recognize the Oilers fandom is a large, diverse group with differing individual opinions)

*Offersheets signed*

"We should match Holloway and let Broberg walk."

*Ceci traded away*

"Yes! Now we can afford to match Broberg, Holloway was replaceable so this always made the most sense."

*Oilers decline to match*

"We were better off not overpaying either of those guys anyway!"

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
Oilers are cooked !!

They lost arguably their 2nd best PKer after Ekholm in Desharnais and a big body that made it very difficult for opposing teams to establish net front presence or get a shot on goal .

Biggest loss is they are losing 2 of their biggest unsung heroes last year in the playoffs who helped them get to game 7 of the Stanley Cup finals in Holloway and Broberg. Holloway has put up amazing numbers in every league he has played in and only gotten better year after year and as a rookie looked tremendous. He's a gamer and big and fast and skilled.
Broberg same as Holloway performed amazing in the playoffs and is a young puck mobile dman at 6'4 212 lbs and has boat loads of untapped potential still .

Not sure if an unpopular opinion or not but Foegele is a big loss for them as well who performed above and beyond expectations in the playoffs with his relentless forechecking and great 2 way play . He is big and super fast and skilled who was also one of their best PKers as well . There were many times he created offense all by himself and secondary scoring is huge and crucial in a long playoff run . NGL his speed and number obv had me mistake him for Mcdavid a couple times .

Wow Oilers have gotten smaller and less mean and are worse overall for it .

Lmao. This is a horrible take. I hope you don’t think losing Foegele made us “less mean.” I like the player and all, but Arvidsson plays with way more tenacity and grit than Foegele. Foegele can write a masterclass on how to look physical on the forecheck without actually hitting the entire player. Thats not questioning the effectiveness, he’s a great forechecker, but he intimidates no one.

Would have preferred to keep Holloway, but I guess this was about cap compliance with the thought that Kane won’t be out for long.

When we traded Ceci I was worried because I figured we were matching Broberg. I like Broberg, but not at that money.

There are question marks with our D for sure, still hoping we got something brewing there, but explain to me how we’re cooked? Top PP, above average PK (Emberson will replace VD seamlessly), best top 6/top 9 in the league:

Nuge-McD-Hyman
Skinner-Drai-Arvidsson
Kane-Henrique-Brown

Yep, looks cooked to me.

Bond

May 10, 2012
The glib answer is "because he's bad at hockey."

Realistically, the Ceci trade gives the Oilers about $2m additional flexibility for an in-season acquisition, and it looks like they don't have to put Kane on LTIR as a result of this series of moves. Someone who knows their team better might be able to give a more precise answer, but that's my best guess.
Yeah, but they made their defence even weaker but they are basically a lock for playoffs so I guess it makes sense

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
and if money over the next 2 years doesn't matter, why did Armstrong not retain 50% and save a 2nd round pick? (and a 3rd when he had to trade for it back)

Last time I'm responding to you, but retained money doesn't help you win. Money always matters but the important thing is how you spend it. Do you want to pay players to play for your team or not to play for your team? Clearly Armstrong preferred to pay a 2nd instead of retaining money. I can see both sides to that, but having extra cap space made these offer sheets possible.

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
Cap flexibility for an upgrade. I don't imagine the Oilers are done here. Expect those St. Louis draft picks to belong to someone else relatively soon.
With what cap space or assets?
A 2nd and a 3rd won't get anything all that great.
Ceci had his warts but moving him was really really stupid unless they somehow get a big upgrade somehow which is highly unlikely with no cap or decent assets.

Evergreen

So why dump Ceci?
So they have more cap space to replace Holloway and Broberg down the line. I think they’d rather have the flexibility to make an add after camp, in-season or at the deadline than be forced to make a move this week while they’re under the gun. Smart move i.m.o.

Louie the Blue

Because it's a trap
Jul 27, 2010
"they viewed the pick to be less valuable than the cap hit".

YUP.

So money, and cap hit, in fact DOES matter to St Louis over the next 2 years. And so the amount they overpaid Broberg and Holloway IS relevant
Retaining on Hayes or buying him out would have likely overlapped with the time the Blues will likely be in a position to contend again their prospects and current players.

Overpaying for Broberg and Holloway doesn’t change that.

Reactions: Memento

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
Cap flexibility for an upgrade. I don't imagine the Oilers are done here. Expect those St. Louis draft picks to belong to someone else relatively soon.
I don't expect them to use this immediately, I think they're going to be looking in season to see what's available first. Edmonton is plenty good enough for the playoffs as it stands, so they don't need to do anything desperate and see how the cards fall.

Reactions: LTIR

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
Someone should check on Spector and Silent.
Both called this situation a masterclass and the pesky blues were outclasses blah blah blah.

Did everyone read that garbage spec put out yesterday?
How is this guy paid by or even allowed to work for SN?

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Last time I'm responding to you, but retained money doesn't help you win. Money always matters but the important thing is how you spend it. Do you want to pay players to play for your team or not to play for your team? Clearly Armstrong preferred to pay a 2nd instead of retaining money. I can see both sides to that, but having extra cap space made these offer sheets possible.
2.4 mill buried cap hit on hayes+1.2 mill to Holloway+1.8 mill to Broberg = 5.4 mill total cap hit

hayes dumped+2.2 mill to holloway+4.6 mill to Broberg=6.8 mill total cap hit.

I am suggesting St Louis should have simply threatened an offer sheet, made a trade, and then signed holloway and broberg to the contracts they were asking for

Broberg+Holloway for 2nd+2nd+3rd+3rd+3rd+Prospect.

Ends up better for edmonton
Ends up better for St Louis

They lose the exact same assets. And save about 1.4 mill in salary
Edmonton gets more assets

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I think for the Oilers once the offer sheet was signed this was the right move not to match in the short term.
Of course the likelihood is that they could have had both players signed for less than $4 million had they not left themselves vulnerable to the double offer sheet.
Longer term I think this one hurts them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad