Proposal: Oilers - Dallas

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Obviously fans on here can't get their minds around Barrie not being a cap dump. Turf him from the proposal.

He can go to another team who can use a scoring RHD. That isn't Dallas, so that is cool.

Holland said he won't deal for rentals, so I think we can forget about Klingberg to Edmonton in any way shape or form.

FameFlame069

Oct 2, 2017
Oilers get:

- Klingberg 4,25M UFA 2022
- Hakanpää 1,5M UFA 2024

Dallas get:

- Barrie 4,5M UFA 2024
- Edmonton 1st 2022

Oilers get a right puck-moving defenseman in Klingberg and a big shutdown RD in Hakanpää. Hakanpää is just what the doctor ordered for Oilers. 6`7" D, who hits and is sound defensively and can play 1-3rd pairing. This should get Edmonton atleast into playoffs,.
Dallas get another, albeit worse puckmoving D in Barrie, but hes signed longer + a 1st. Maybe a 2nd fiddle prospect should be added to Dallas?

Highway robbery at it's finest, so you're expecting Dallas to take Barrie while giving up the two best pieces in the deal? Minimum would be like Barrie with a Million retained + 1st + 3rd(for them having to TAKE Barrie) + a 3-6 ranked prospect(of Dallas'es weakest position)

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
Still not worth it, from Dallas's POV.

Zero need for Barrie, especially with their current system implemented.
Well , if they are trading now , adding Barrie would at least give them a rhd on a reasonable contract . I don’t think adding Barrie would hurt if we’re still trying to win .

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Highway robbery at it's finest, so you're expecting Dallas to take Barrie while giving up the two best pieces in the deal? Minimum would be like Barrie with a Million retained + 1st + 3rd(for them having to TAKE Barrie) + a 3-6 ranked prospect(of Dallas'es weakest position)

I don't know about two best......for what it's worth, I think I'd rather have a possible lottery pick in Edmonton's 1st, than Hakanpaa right now.

Well , if they are trading now , adding Barrie would at least give them a rhd on a reasonable contract . I don’t think adding Barrie would hurt if we’re still trying to win .

Bowness would effectively neuter Barrie's one strength though.

I don't think it'd go well.

Bigshow747

May 12, 2018
I don't know if Klingberg is what Edmonton needs, but you don't get him on his own without giving up something significant. David Savard got a 1st and a 3rd last year, and Klingberg is a MUCH better defenseman. To me, Dallas would (or should) target someone like Bouchard, Broberg, or Holloway and a 1st. That's expensive as hell, and Edmonton will not want to pay it. However, the parity this year is stupid, and teams are going to get desperate to either improve their team outright, or prevent their playoff competitors from improving. Someone is going to pay a 1st and a top prospect, especially if Chychrun get's moved soon. I think Klingberg for Broberg + 1st + conditional 3rd or 4th makes sense if they want Klingberg that badly. If they need goaltending, Holtby could be a good fit, he's looked really good at times, and if a team can score in front of him he'd look even better.

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
I don't know about two best......for what it's worth, I think I'd rather have a possible lottery pick in Edmonton's 1st, than Hakanpaa right now.

Well , bones should also be included in the package

FameFlame069

Oct 2, 2017

But you add 2 right side defenders to the team that has "2 of the best players in the league" that first could very well become 32-25 and have like an 11% chance at 100 NHL games), I'd rather have the guy playing defensively sound in the best league out there, this deal heavily favors the Oilers, no way does Dallas touch the OP without adds and retention

Starry Knight

Tele-Wyatt
Jun 9, 2013
KW
If Edmonton was going for a rental from Dallas, wouldn't Pavelski or Holtby be better choices. Pavelski gives them a gritty, veteran forward to put with either McDavid or Draisaitl and they obviously need an NHL-calibre goalie.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
I don't know if Klingberg is what Edmonton needs, but you don't get him on his own without giving up something significant. David Savard got a 1st and a 3rd last year, and Klingberg is a MUCH better defenseman. To me, Dallas would (or should) target someone like Bouchard, Broberg, or Holloway and a 1st. That's expensive as hell, and Edmonton will not want to pay it. However, the parity this year is stupid, and teams are going to get desperate to either improve their team outright, or prevent their playoff competitors from improving. Someone is going to pay a 1st and a top prospect, especially if Chychrun get's moved soon. I think Klingberg for Broberg + 1st + conditional 3rd or 4th makes sense if they want Klingberg that badly. If they need goaltending, Holtby could be a good fit, he's looked really good at times, and if a team can score in front of him he'd look even better.

That is a really horrible trade from an Oilers standpoint. Holtby has looked "at times" is a generous way of putting it.

A rental Klingberg isn't worth Broberg + 1st + conditional 3rd or 4th, at least from an Oilers perspective he isn't.

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
Not that the OP’s proposal is realistic, trades aren’t done in a vacuum. The rest of the league can see the train wreck that is going on in Edmonton. It’s unlikely you’re going to get anything of value (stay at home D/goalie) without giving up a first.
Sure. John Klingberg doesn't fit any of those needs though.

If Hakanpaa fits the need make a deal around him and exclude Klingberg and the first.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
That's true but the other aspect is true as well. If a team doesn't need a player that is being added in a trade with a 4.5 cap for 2 more seasons that is a cap dump for that team because instead of using that money towards their own young players they now have to spend it on barrie.

You claim barrie has value but let's be real. How many teams are going to want to add a d-man who is garbage defensively.
We see offensive defensemen who aren't good defensively go to new teams every year. Ones with worse offense than Barrie and no better defense. I know it wouldn't be a 30 team trade market for him.

Reactions: TFHockey

Bigshow747

May 12, 2018
That is a really horrible trade from an Oilers standpoint. Holtby has looked "at times" is a generous way of putting it.

A rental Klingberg isn't worth Broberg + 1st + conditional 3rd or 4th, at least from an Oilers perspective he isn't.
No I agree. And I don't expect Edmonton to. What I'm saying is someone will pay that eventually, especially in the East. It's an arms race. I don't think Klingberg is a good fit in Edmonton, nor is he what they need. But someone like Boston, Carolina, Florida, or even Toronto would if desperate enough, pay. If David Savard could get a 1st and a 3rd, Klingberg can get a 1st + high end prospect + a conditional pick if he extends there. It's not insane to think that.

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
Not a chance the Oilers are trading their first for a rental they have have no ability to re-sign. Actually if the Oilers current play continues they should be making deals for next year, no playoffs this season.

ZeHockeyFan

Apr 9, 2014
Oilers get:

- Hakanpää 1,5M UFA 2024

Dallas get:

- Barrie 4,5M UFA 2024
- Edmonton 1st 2022

Oilers get a right puck-moving defenseman in Klingberg and a big shutdown RD in Hakanpää. Hakanpää is just what the doctor ordered for Oilers. 6`7" D, who hits and is sound defensively and can play 1-3rd pairing. This should get Edmonton atleast into playoffs,.
Dallas get another, albeit worse puckmoving D in Barrie, but hes signed longer + a 1st. Maybe a 2nd fiddle prospect should be added to Dallas?

Yeah, no.

Reactions: Johno

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
Oilers get:

- Hakanpää 1,5M UFA 2024

Dallas get:

- Barrie 4,5M UFA 2024
- Edmonton 1st 2022

Edmonton listens . Addresses a need(s) and their biggest assets are still protected

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
If Edmonton spends a first on an upgrade rental and fails to make the playoffs....

upload_2022-1-18_8-7-47.jpeg

Reactions: belair and TFHockey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad