Proposal: Oilers - Dallas

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
Oilers get:

- Klingberg 4,25M UFA 2022
- Hakanpää 1,5M UFA 2024

Dallas get:

- Barrie 4,5M UFA 2024
- Edmonton 1st 2022

Oilers get a right puck-moving defenseman in Klingberg and a big shutdown RD in Hakanpää. Hakanpää is just what the doctor ordered for Oilers. 6`7" D, who hits and is sound defensively and can play 1-3rd pairing. This should get Edmonton atleast into playoffs,.
Dallas get another, albeit worse puckmoving D in Barrie, but hes signed longer + a 1st. Maybe a 2nd fiddle prospect should be added to Dallas?

OG Eberle

Aug 25, 2011
As an Oiler fan, I see zero incentive for the Stars. They inherit Barrie and his contract, as well as give up much better players. If you're hanging your hat on the 1st, it'll be mid-late 1st barring a complete meltdown.

Seems super biased in favour of Oilers.

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
Klingberg as a rental gets a 1st+ on his own, without taking on Barrie or adding Hak. Dallas gets fleeced

Well, thats why I put maybe added prospect from Oilers. Dallas should rebuild - they have Seguin&Benn on albatrosses, Radulov and Pavelski will go UFA after the season. They should start adding prospects and picks. They have 3 very promising players in Heiskanen, Robertson and Hintz, who will be there for years. A few good prospects & picks could get them going.
Oilers are in win-now mode. McDavid and Drai dont have many years left on contracts, so Oilers could add something to do this. They could also try pray a goalie outta Dallas with more adds.

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
As an Oiler fan, I see zero incentive for the Stars. They inherit Barrie and his contract, as well as give up much better players. If you're hanging your hat on the 1st, it'll be mid-late 1st barring a complete meltdown.

Seems super biased in favour of Oilers.

I still see the teams as good trading partners. Oilers are in win-now mode and Stars window has closed IMO. Seguin and Benn are done. Radulov&Pavelski will be gone and Klingberg goes UFA. Put a goalie to the Oilers and another pick+prospect to the Stars?

OG Eberle

Aug 25, 2011
I still see the teams as good trading partners. Oilers are in win-now mode and Stars window has closed IMO. Seguin and Benn are done. Radulov&Pavelski will be gone and Klingberg goes UFA. Put a goalie to the Oilers and another pick+prospect to the Stars?

While they may be good partners, the current iteration of the trade is heavily in favour of the Oilers.

If there is a competent goalie coming back as well to the Oilers, Oilers are probably including at least one of Savoie/Lavoie if not one of our bluechippers.

oconnor9sean

Mar 3, 2013
DFW
If we're trading Klingberg, we're essentially giving up on the season. We'd want future pieces in return, not attempt to band-aid the hole.

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
Don't even know why Edmonton targets Klingberg.

Unless I'm mistaken and he's a savvy defensive player. This is not what the team should be targetting with their first rounders.

Hakanpaa? Sure, but I don't think we'd need to involve the first.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Why is everyone trying to trade for/trade away Hakanpaa lol

He's not getting traded. Also definitely no thanks to Barrie. He would be horrible here

Reactions: Johno

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Let’s not pretend he’s a valuable asset. He’s a declining D signed for 2 more years that is not needed on a rebuilding team. DAL can do better
He doesn't fit with what Dallas needs, I agree. I don't think Klingberg fits with what Edmonton needs either but that doesn't mean he has no value as an asset. Barrie doesn't have Klingberg value, but he does have value.

Barrie isn't "declining". He had the best year of his career last year. He's struggling like the rest of the team with a brutal defensive system put in place, but when its nearly every player having that struggle, I blame coaching, I wouldn't try to suggest he is declining. He's in his prime. He's a premier offensive defenseman with holes in this defensive game.

Regardless, I don't see why either team would have interest in this deal. I'd be fine with trading one of our depth players for Hakanpaa, but there's no need for either team to talk about Klingberg or Barrie.

Reactions: Ragdoll

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Oilers get:

- Klingberg 4,25M UFA 2022
- Hakanpää 1,5M UFA 2024

Dallas get:

- Barrie 4,5M UFA 2024
- Edmonton 1st 2022

Oilers get a right puck-moving defenseman in Klingberg and a big shutdown RD in Hakanpää. Hakanpää is just what the doctor ordered for Oilers. 6`7" D, who hits and is sound defensively and can play 1-3rd pairing. This should get Edmonton atleast into playoffs,.
Dallas get another, albeit worse puckmoving D in Barrie, but hes signed longer + a 1st. Maybe a 2nd fiddle prospect should be added to Dallas?
Dallas laughter can be heard all the way in Calgary. Holland takes on a clown reputation if he offers this and expects anything but scorn.

Rory

Jun 14, 2017
You forgot to add Holloway in the deal. Barrie is a cap dump. Dallas has no need for him and his contract. Oilers can convince all they want that he valuable at that price but not in Dallas. If you are also getting Hakanpaa that will cost extra as he just signed in Dallas on a great 3 year deal. 1st and top prospect is the start and that does not include your cap dump.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
You forgot to add Holloway in the deal. Barrie is a cap dump. Dallas has no need for him and his contract. Oilers can convince all they want that he valuable at that price but not in Dallas. If you are also getting Hakanpaa that will cost extra as he just signed in Dallas on a great 3 year deal. 1st and top prospect is the start and that does not include your cap dump.
Dallas not needing Barrie doesn't make him a cap dump.

Rory

Jun 14, 2017
Dallas not needing Barrie doesn't make him a cap dump.
It does if you are trading a contract a team does not need or want. Dallas needs cap space. So adding 4.5 for a couple more years is a cap dump. Sure he is still a player that can produce but not in Dallas at a price they don’t want to pay.

Reactions: go4hockey

PastaSawce

Mar 6, 2021
Western MA
Don't even know why Edmonton targets Klingberg.

Unless I'm mistaken and he's a savvy defensive player. This is not what the team should be targetting with their first rounders.

Hakanpaa? Sure, but I don't think we'd need to involve the first.
Not that the OP’s proposal is realistic, trades aren’t done in a vacuum. The rest of the league can see the train wreck that is going on in Edmonton. It’s unlikely you’re going to get anything of value (stay at home D/goalie) without giving up a first.

Rory

Jun 14, 2017
Well, it seems that you use the term cap dump differently than most of the rest of us but okay.
No, you keep focusing on his value for Dallas. Everyone in Dallas will say he has no value for this team especially at that price. That is a cap dump. Otherwise why not keep him? Why move Barrie? You are moving out cap. He does nothing for Dallas in the future other than take up cap space that they will want to give to younger players. So no the term cap dump is correct.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
No, you keep focusing on his value for Dallas. Everyone in Dallas will say he has no value for this team especially at that price. That is a cap dump. Otherwise why not keep him? Why move Barrie? You are moving out cap. He does nothing for Dallas in the future other than take up cap space that they will want to give to younger players. So no the term cap dump is correct.

Edmonton's interest in moving Barrie isn't due to him having poor value or to dump his contract, it's in the fact that our idiot GM filled our defense core with 4 puck movers in our top six, and no shut down defensemen. We want a hockey move that would bring in a different type of player. He is quite simply, redundant in Edmonton with Bouchard emerging and taking his spot as RD at ELC value. If we didn't have Bouchard, we'd still have Barrie in that spot. That isn't Klingberg anyway, for what it's worth. Is Klingberg a cap dump to Edmonton if we don't want him? Of course not, because he still has value and he could be moved elsewhere. Cap dumps have no value and can't be moved anywhere without paying to do it.

I already admitted that I don't think Barrie is a fit in Dallas by the way, so I'm not sure why you're rambling on about that.

Reactions: PuckG

sens13

Mar 16, 2017
Edmonton's interest in moving Barrie isn't due to him having poor value or to dump his contract, it's in the fact that our idiot GM filled our defense core with 4 puck movers in our top six, and no shut down defensemen. We want a hockey move that would bring in a different type of player. He is quite simply, redundant in Edmonton with Bouchard emerging and taking his spot as RD at ELC value. If we didn't have Bouchard, we'd still have Barrie in that spot. That isn't Klingberg anyway, for what it's worth. Is Klingberg a cap dump to Edmonton if we don't want him? Of course not, because he still has value and he could be moved elsewhere. Cap dumps have no value and can't be moved anywhere without paying to do it.

I already admitted that I don't think Barrie is a fit in Dallas by the way, so I'm not sure why you're rambling on about that.

That's true but the other aspect is true as well. If a team doesn't need a player that is being added in a trade with a 4.5 cap for 2 more seasons that is a cap dump for that team because instead of using that money towards their own young players they now have to spend it on barrie.

You claim barrie has value but let's be real. How many teams are going to want to add a d-man who is garbage defensively.

Reactions: go4hockey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad