Oilers against: Dallas vs Florida [quite different results, but why?]

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
What do we expect with Drai playing with absolute garbage?
1718376184546.png

not alot of options.

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
That's one game. As mentioned- goalie is in their heads. Game one was utter domination by the Oilers and Bob stole one
It's been the entire series. The Panthers protect home plate like nobody's business. There's been nothing available in the middle of the ice in Florida's zone. Florida's offense has come from where the scouting report said it would, off of turnovers. Their shooters are getting looks that ours just haven't.

Their defense manages pucks very well. Ours has gotten into trouble due to Florida's aggressive forecheck. Goaltending is night and day as a statistic. But we aren't getting the same looks that they are.

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
It's been the entire series. The Panthers protect home plate like nobody's business. There's been nothing available in the middle of the ice in Florida's zone. Florida's offense has come from where the scouting report said it would, off of turnovers. Their shooters are getting looks that ours just haven't.

Their defense manages pucks very well. Ours has gotten into trouble due to Florida's aggressive forecheck. Goaltending is night and day as a statistic. But we aren't getting the same looks that they are.
I have to disagree. Oilers just don't attack the middle. Bruce Curlock has a great article on Florida.

I just saw he does them after every game and they are excellent

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
My strategy is to get the first goal and then play McDavid on D and Nurse on Right wing.
Except I’m actually serious. You need play Mcdavid and DrAi together because 5 on 5 split they haven’t done crap this playoffs.

People keep blaming Skinner, but it’s honestly the lack of offense and turnovers that are killing us.

If they don’t win next year Mcdavid won’t win a cup in Edmonton.

timekeep

Apr 28, 2010
Holloway Mcdavid Drai
Foegele Nuge Hyman
Janmark Rico Brown

This is better. Let the Big boys try to win it
I want to see Holloway get some time with McDavid, he had a great game last night. Tarasankos goal he was at fault partially but he might have been playing the breakout. I haven't seen the replays, in game they show much. But other than that play he was one of the few players laying out some hits and coming to help out the rest in some scrums. Nuge can't drive a line, that will get crushed. We need Carrick in for Perry as well.

Reactions: Whoshattenkirkshoes

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
I want to see Holloway get some time with McDavid, he had a great game last night. Tarasankos goal he was at fault partially but he might have been playing the breakout. I haven't seen the replays, in game they show much. But other than that play he was one of the few players laying out some hits and coming to help out the rest in some scrums. Nuge can't drive a line, that will get crushed. We need Carrick in for Perry as well.
I mean Nuge can't drive a line, but either can Drai with the crap we give him. At least if you load up Mcdavid and Drai they can try to win the game.

Move Hyman down to help Nuge and it's miles better than Mcleod with Perry and Leon.

We're down 3-0 just do it

timekeep

Apr 28, 2010
I mean Nuge can't drive a line, but either can Drai with the crap we give him. At least if you load up Mcdavid and Drai they can try to win the game.

Move Hyman down to help Nuge and it's miles better than Mcleod with Perry and Leon.

We're down 3-0 just do it
Or move Nuge down to help Drai. Loading up one line rarely works and their PK is proving they can defend that combo. We need to have a spread out attack. Watching the last minute plus last night was brutal, the arena was deflated after they gave us something to hope for.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Cup hunting
Dallas respected us too much. The Stars lack the kind of fire that despises opposition. Players like Benn had to try to manufacture ill will where there was none. Even between games you were shocked at things guys like Robertson would say about how much they respected the Oilers. It was their problem. I'd seen this kind of thing before a long time ago where clubs didn't expect to beat the Oilers and didn't. This year that was the Kings and Stars. They played throughout without much real contesting. Sometimes seems like waiting for the handshake line.

Credit Oilers, of course, but both these clubs seemed to lie down pretty easy, neither really solved our PP, and both had trouble finding any scoring depth.

Nucks and Panthers played us harder, more physical. Its hard to put a finger on it. Dallas on paper are pretty much what Florida is, but with the Panthers Tkachuk, Bennett, Barkov etc have some ill will against the OIlers and something to prove. The other thing is situational and the unresolved hunger from the Panthers not getting it done, and not getting the SC last season has fed over into this one.

I always maintained last playoffs was the Oilers better chance of getting the cup. Seemed like a wide open year and I think we had a slightly better club.

Last edited:

cruisecity

May 24, 2024
Dallas respected us too much. The Stars lack the kind of fire that despises opposition. Players like Benn had to try to manufacture ill will where there was none. Even between games you were shocked at things guys like Robertson would say about how much they respected the Oilers. It was their problem. I'd seen this kind of thing before a long time ago where clubs didn't expect to beat the Oilers and didn't. This year that was the Kings and Stars. They played throughout without much real contesting. Sometimes seems like waiting for the handshake line.

Credit Oilers, of course, but both these clubs seemed to lie down pretty easy, neither really solved our PP, and both had trouble finding any scoring depth.

Nucks and Panthers played us harder, more physical. Its hard to put a finger on it. Dallas on paper are pretty much what Florida is, but with the Panthers Tkachuk, Bennett, Barkov etc have some ill will against the OIlers and something to prove. The other thing is situational and the unresolved hunger from the Panthers not getting it done, and getting the SC last season has fed over into this one.

I always maintained last playoffs was the Oilers better chance of getting the cup. Seemed like a wide open year and I think we had a slightly better club.
Can't help but wonder what this Florida series would be like with Kostin and Bjugstad crashing the net and getting in Bobrovsky's way instead of McLeod, Ryan, and Brown playing perimeter puck.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

cruisecity

May 24, 2024
Well our PK would probably be garbage.
I don't agree. PK is typically a system based checklist that most people can fit into if they're taught the system. Bjugstad goes out there and does what McLeod and Brown do just as well.

How much did we pay Connor Brown this year?

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
I don't agree. PK is typically a system based checklist that most people can fit into if they're taught the system. Bjugstad goes out there and does what McLeod and Brown do just as well.

How much did we pay Connor Brown this year?
Yah this whole post is BS. Bjugstad was a terrible Pker. Sure take out Ryan for Kostin but taking out 3 of the best pkers would absolutely impact the Pk.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Good luck Oilers.

I’ve been thread banned for noting Drai got a point.

Tough crowd

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad