Oilers against: Dallas vs Florida [quite different results, but why?]

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
It seems like the Oilers are an entirely different team when you contrast the two series ? It's not just Bobrovsky either. Does Edmonton matchup better vs Dallas ? What are the differences from the Oilers fan's perspective ?

I'm hoping Edmonton takes 2 at home, but being honest, I'm worried.

Why the different Oilers team ?

HamiltonNHL

Jan 4, 2012
Because the goalie is in their heads.

They did:
- get out high dangered
- out expected goals.
- even out shot

This isn't flattering.

1718125604299.png

I've never seen a team register zero high danger shots before. But it was 4-0 Florida according to NST.

Reactions: belair

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Florida allowed to cheat to defend. If Stars got away with slashing to defend, would have been tough sledding that series too.

Satire

Nov 20, 2016
Game 1 we played just fine. Game 2 was not great. Difference has been goalies. If Bob didn't stand on his head game 1 we'd be sitting pretty at 1-1 going back to Edmonton.

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Florida allowed to cheat to defend. If Stars got away with slashing to defend, would have been tough sledding that series too.
Thats part of it for sure.
The other main part though is that the Panthers are executing their system at an extremely high level.
They are getting sticks and bodies in lanes and also blocking off access to the prime scoring areas. If an Oiler does happen to find himself in a prime scoring area then the slashing starts because they know damn well the refs are only going to call a small percentage of that stuff.
They are also very very agressive and the Oilers are having a lot of trouble with that.

So some credit is due...the Panters are the best coached team the Oilers have seen so far.
Knoblauch is being outcoached IMO and that is becoming more evident with each game.
My hope is that he can make some adjustments in game 3. Especially in terms of taking advantage of the Panthers hyper-aggressivness with some quicker puck movement/ more efficient outlets.

This team also needs to get some bounces because the bounces have been all on favor of Florida so far.

Last edited:
Reactions: rec28

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Slashing and hooking the hands is ok if you play for Florida.

Last years finals the Panthers fans were up in arms because they were getting penalties called against them for the stuff they got away with all playoffs. I guess the league favors their new baby Vegas over the sunbelt teams.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Anything specific ?
Adjustments around the Panthers PK system. Adjustments around the Panters forecheck.
Essentially it amounts to adjustments to combat this hyper-agressive Panthers team all over the ice.

Moving the puck quicker and more decisively is a must. Making sure that passes are made to the forehand so the puck moves on and off the stick quicker. The Cats seems to really rush any player taking a pass on his backhand especially when they are on the PK because they know that the player recieving a pass on their backhand has to handle the puck more. So that hesitation gives them time to pressure.

Maybe design some quick outlets in the D zone that creates odd man advanatges the other way once you get by the 2 forecheckers.

Adjustments to deal with their system of protection around Bob. Adjust to the way they collapse down in front of him and take away the shooting/passing lanes.
Instead of trying to pass through that mess in front (something this team is doing way way too much of) maybe shoot more. Unlkess you have an open lane there is no need to blast a shot either because there is a higher liklihood that shot will just go into the corner.
Get some players in their box and chip pucks in there. Get more 50/50 pucks in the scrum in front of Bob and win some puck battles.

Thats another thing...the Oilers are losing too many puck battles...they have to start winning more of those and that in large part is about outworking the Cats.

Just some stuff that came to mind.

Last edited:

Captain Fantastic

Connor McMastadon
Feb 24, 2012
YEG
Adjustments around the Panthers PK system. Adjustments around the Panters forecheck.
Essentially it amounts to adjustments to combat this hyper-agressive Panthers team all over the ice.

Moving the puck quicker and more decisively is a must. Making sure that passes are made to the forehand so the puck moves on and off the stick quicker. The Cats seems to really rush any player taking a pass on his backhand especially when they are on the PK because they know that the player recieving a pass on their backhand has to handle the puck more. So that hesitation gives them time to pressure.

Maybe design some quick outlets in the D zone that creates odd man advanatges the other way once you get by the 2 forecheckers.

Adjustments to deal with their system of protection around Bob. Adjust to the way they collapse down in front of him and take away the shooting/passing lanes.
Instead of trying to pass through that mess in front (something this team is doing way way too much of) maybe shoot more. Unlkess you have an open lane there is no need to blast a shot either because there is a higher liklihood that shot will just go into the corner.
Get some players in their box and chip pucks in there. Get more 50/50 pucks in the scrum in front of Bob and win some puck battles.

Thats another thing...the Oilers are losing too many puck battles...they have to start winning more of those and that in large part is about outworking the Cats.

Just some stuff that came to mind.
To add, the Oil have to do better in the face-off dot. They're losing too many.

Reactions: guymez

mkatcherin00

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2023
They did:
- get out high dangered
- out expected goals.
- even out shot

This isn't flattering.

View attachment 881662

I've never seen a team register zero high danger shots before. But it was 4-0 Florida according to NST.
And Edmonton was all over them game 1

Florida was much more aggressive game 2 and edmonton also hit 2/3 posts, but we generated nothing.

Forida is also allowed to play WWE style hockey

Despite all of this crap, Edmonton could be up 2-0 this series if their PP worked. 0/7. They are toast if it doesn't click b/c we are at least getting PP's.

Reactions: Oilhawks

rec28

Dec 16, 2003
Vancouver Island
Visit site
The Panthers are a genuinely elite team. The Oilers may peak higher in terms of pure skill but the Panthers are the favourites in this series for a reason: they are well coached, every player is bought in to their system and executing at a very high level, they are have much better balance and depth across their roster, they are incredibly (!!!) effective at getting their sticks in the passing lanes, they are fast and tough, they are extremely aggressive on the forecheck and PK, and they have a far better goalie backstopping all of it.

McD noted that the Panthers found another gear and the Oilers didn’t. I’d take it a step further and say that Game 1 was an off game for the Panthers - game 2 was the “real” Panthers and that what the Oilers have to figure out how to beat. I believe they can do it if McDrai go nuclear, the team tightens up defensively, and they just generally buy in and pull in the same direction like they did during their midseason turnaround. Injuries likely play a role but the Oilers are ultimately just up against it with the first truly elite team the Oilers have faced in these playoffs and they need to adapt quickly or they’ll be roadkill.

Personally, I don’t think this is their year (although I’d be delighted to be proven wrong!). SC winners often have to lose in the finals before they win and that’s what this year feels like to me.

Last edited:
Reactions: themilosh

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
To me it's mostly Bobrovsky. 1 goal in 2 games is pretty tough. We saw the Oilers have games where they only had like 12-15 shots all game against Vancouver and Dallas too, so I don't think Florida is some elite shutdown team. I just think the offense has been starved, and with the PP not clicking at all there's nothing to fall back on.

I think they need to be aggressive in and around the crease. Their number 1 target should be Bobo. Physically and mentally. He's the biggest reason for the drought so get in his face and light him the f*** up. Shake him up somehow and I think they can even it up.

All that aside I do tip my cap to a very good Panthers team too. Well coached. Well organized. They play fast and hard, are defensively responsible, and they've been here before.

But it's Bobo. f***em up.

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
Oilers are gonna pass the puck lots and skate around the outside to win the cup. It's gonna look so neat. Dallas was old and slow enough for it to work.

Shanahanigans

Jun 16, 2011
The Oilers have had at least 1 game in every series in which they just...didn't show up. It's just that Florida is much better than everyone we've faced, and the stakes are much higher. At their best I think both teams are equally matched. The Oilers could beat LA and Vancouver with their B game. Florida? No chance.

Reactions: themilosh

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
The Oilers just need to exercise their skill which is superior ignore the Panther's antics and just play their game .

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
It seems like the Oilers are an entirely different team when you contrast the two series ? It's not just Bobrovsky either. Does Edmonton matchup better vs Dallas ? What are the differences from the Oilers fan's perspective ?

I'm hoping Edmonton takes 2 at home, but being honest, I'm worried.

Why the different Oilers team ?
I think Dallas was an older team who could not sustain consistent pressure. Florida does not seem to have glaring weaknesses. They have a great goaltender, solid defense, can score in bunches, are deep and physical, and have a Selke-caliber centerman.

Reactions: themilosh and CDN24

HamiltonNHL

Jan 4, 2012
Weird goal scorers thru 3 games:

1718374754895.png

Drai (no points)
CM97 - no goals.
no points for Hyman.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad