Confirmed with Link: Oilers acquire Roby Jarventie and 4th round pick for Xavier Bourgualt and Jake Chiasson

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Jarventie is a toolsy but frustrating player. He has good size, good mobility, a great shot and solid puck skills. He has all the tools to be a good player, and yet he's long had a tendency to disappear into the background of games. Part of the reason for trying him at centre, and why it seemed to be working out well, was that it forced him to be involved, and when he's involved and engaged, he can do good things.

I'm guessing the Sens management didn't see him sticking as a centre at the NHL level, at least in their organization, and didn't love his game on the wing (hence the change in position), so he became expendable.
Is he like Alex Formenton minus the HC stuff?

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
I think we should stop drafting French Canadians. Nothing against them but they never pan out for us and we usually miss out on a gem taken just after. Or worse trade down to get them and leave a gem on the board.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Sens fan. Seems like a change of scenery move for a couple of prospects that are on the bubble.

Roby always seemed to me like a guy that is an AHL talent. A team's 7th best top-6 option, if you follow.

Good kid though so I'm hoping I'm wrong and he takes that next step for you.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Shades of the 2003 draft with that one. Trade down, throw away the pick acquired to trade down, then pick the worst possible option with several players around him that would have been a better pick no matter which one.
That 2003 draft was my worst nightmare. Turned elation into disappointment when the Oil wiffed on a shot at Getlaf or Parise. I kept an open mind about Pouliot though he was most memorable for being rocked by Phaneuf in the Top Prospect Game. That wishful withered with my first live viewing in pre-season where it was clear Pouliot was not going to be a player with poor skating, slender frame and soft finesse game.

Fun memories of HF chats of old with Lowtide who fancifully imagined Pouliot as a late bloomer Jean Beliveau. Failing huge in the legendary 2003 draft was a defining moment for the Oil organization.

Oil held onto Pouliot until the value fell out to a trade for a late pick. Jeff Jackson is at least now pro-active in course correcting on stalled prospects. Borgeault gets a critical fresh start and more runway in a rebuild organization. Oil get a bigger sized project who can shoot... though hard to see a fit on this mature Cup window roster. The 4th pick is likely the most helpful value.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
I said this on the sens board but I think its worth repeating.

The Oilers are re-vamping their pipeline. The Oilers hired Kalle Larsson as their senior director of player development. Larsson spent 9 years in the USHL helping the Dubuque Fighting Saints from a player personal role where he did such a good job that he was promoted to GM and then even president of hockey operations. We've already seen Larsson impact the Oilers as he knew Matt Savoie incredibly well and Dubuque drafted him where he put up 38 points in 34 USHL games. As a 16-year-old he was 4th in team scoring and actually had one of the best +/-'s on the team which is pretty impressive. I actually think grabbing Savoie might have been the writing on the wall for Bourgault.

This comes after the Oilers parting ways with their old director of scouting Tyler Wright who worked a lot with Ken Holland. Wright focused a lot on goal scoring and size - he likes natural athletes (Broberg and Holloway) but ill get to that in a second. We've replaced Wright with a much more analytically focused scout in Rick Pracey. Pracey focuses a lot on development curves and acknowledging that different types of players develop differently and have different kinds of paths to the NHL.

Also, with Jackson at the helm, the Oilers have been very active with their moves. We saw them trade in the 1st round to go and get a prospect that their scouts liked. He isn't afraid to make moves and listen to the guys in the room. Jackson saw the Oilers pipeline as an issue and went to work to try and immediately correct it. Keith Gretzky is also overseeing our minor league team and apparently, they wanted Bourgault to come in stronger this season, but he hasn't done that.

Basically, you can see the Oilers management group having their fingerprints all over these moves. I think it could be a great opportunity for Bourgault to play closer to home and develop with some more talented linemates in a more offensive setting. I'll be rooting for XB. I always kinda of saw him being a giroux-lite if he ends up making it.

LemmyUlanov55

4th line grinder
Apr 3, 2016
Getting anything in return for middle of the pack prospects is certainly a nice thing, I could get used to it.
I really hope JJ takes another moment to think about GM'ing, lol.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
I really liked Bourgault. I thought he would be a top 6 forward.

It looks like I was wrong on this one. Hopefully he can bounce back with his change of scenery.

Props to the oilers for getting something back and mitigating thier losses.
So another 1st round Bust for Bust. They could as well try for Pamela Anderson.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Would of like to see Bourgault get a cup of coffee before they sent him out as he strikes me as a guy who does better with more skilled players and there hasn’t been much to work with in Bako. That being said there’s just not much opportunity to make this Oilers roster.

I don’t know much about Jarventie but he seems similar to Lavoie. These two could be competing for a spot if Kane isn’t ready to start the year.

Reactions: McDoused

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
It does seem weird to me. I thought Coffey and Staois wanted Johnston. Yet, Staios trades for Bourgault? That doesn't seem to align.
Yes, because OTT could have traded Jarventie for Johnston?
Just because you like one more than another doesn't mean you hate the other

Reactions: nabob

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
I really thought Lavoie was going to be the guy who was traded.

Its clear that Jackson doesn’t like the Teams prospect pipeline

For me this is probably the most encouraging thing I'm perceiving from what down last summer with the Jackson hiring, and Tyler Wright firing. I get the feeling the new leadership knew our drafting and development was absolute dog crap. We've changed head scouts, we've changed Presidents. With no effect on our drafting and development record really. I'm talking over 30 years.

Everything done by the organizations is a competition. And the Oilers have been in the bottom 10 in the league when it comes to drafting and developing since as long as these boards have been around imo. Don't want to drag this into a draft history debate but the Oilers record outside the top 10 is putrid.

I don't know if it's going to get better. Won't know for awhile. But it really couldn't get much worse imo. This is the most active I've seen management when it comes to what I feel is Identifying and acknowledging an issue. Then making steps to correct it. Here's hoping 🙏

Too often in the past I feel the organization failed to be honest with itself when it comes to drafting and development. Everybody is just such nice guys. etc.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
I remember how excited I was when Walsteidt fell to us. Thought we were going to draft our future franchise goalie and instead trade the pick for a slow, undersized winger and a D prospect that will probably never play an NHL game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad