OHL Trade Thread 2024-25

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Konnor Smith and Stevie Leskovar were teammates on the Peterborough Petes for a season and a half and I think they were defence partners for period when they both played for the Petes. Teams wanting to win a championship need players like this. In the playoffs shot blocking and physical defencemen are an important part of a successful team. Plus Konnor has Memorial Cup experience.

There’s room for a good defenceman in the top four with Harding, Fibigr, and Leskovar for sure. If the total cost of OA K.Smith and a (good BUG) even approaches that of an OA goalie and Andonovski or Gibson, I’d pass on K.Smith’

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
was definitely thinking about a good OA goalie in case of injury, and does not cost the team some easy points in the regular season.
There are a lot of OA goalies to be had cheap. Stutzka might be the only trustworthy 19 yr old available. It is sweet to do right by Leenders, but turning a team strength into a question mark doesn’t seem to me the right thing to do.

The OA goalie comes at the cost of not having an elite skater that will have a far superior impact.

As mentioned, how many OA goalies with a decent reputation want to play 25 games max and sit in the playoffs? None that are actually good enough to be the starter for an injury replacement.

Reactions: frontsfan67

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
There’s room for a good defenceman in the top four with Harding, Fibigr, and Leskovar for sure. If the total cost of OA K.Smith and a (good BUG) even approaches that of an OA goalie and Andonovski or Gibson, I’d pass on K.Smith’
Konnor Smith would go for less than both Matthew Andonovski and Andrew Smith as he in an overage. The Big Rig would likely go for a 2nd and 3rd where Andonovski would likely go for a 2008 born player and multiple draft picks and Gibson would likely go for a couple of 2nds, couple of 3rds and 4th if not a 2008 plus a draft pick or two. Brampton does not have a 2008 born player signed who they can trade. I am not sure what a good back up overage would likely not cost that much but a 19 year old would be two or three draft picks.

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
was definitely thinking about a good OA goalie in case of injury, and does not cost the team some easy points in the regular season.
There are a lot of OA goalies to be had cheap. Stutzka might be the only trustworthy 19 yr old available. It is sweet to do right by Leenders, but turning a team strength into a question mark doesn’t seem to me the right thing to do.
Liam Sztuska is an overage not a 19 year old. The cost for him is likely a 3rd and a 5th.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
The OA goalie comes at the cost of not having an elite skater that will have a far superior impact.

As mentioned, how many OA goalies with a decent reputation want to play 25 games max and sit in the playoffs? None that are actually good enough to be the starter for an injury replacement.
100%. Sztuska on the right team is a top goalie in the league. Doesn’t make sense for him to split the games or play less than Ivankovic.

I think London/Brantford are the 2 obvious teams that really stick out needing a goalie. I’m sure 1 of them get leenders and the other gets sztuska

Reactions: Section5Petes

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
100%. Sztuska on the right team is a top goalie in the league. Doesn’t make sense for him to split the games or play less than Ivankovic.

I think London/Brantford are the 2 obvious teams that really stick out needing a goalie. I’m sure 1 of them get leenders and the other gets sztuska

MacKenzie (OA) may also become available. If he is healthy, he is a better goalie than Sztuska. He was tagged for a Team Canada invite last year but got himself injured and battled a groin issue on and off the entire season. But, if he were to come out healthy to start the year and look strong, he’d be the #1 OA Goalie available…. Assuming DiVin doesn’t return and become available. Also assuming Oster stays on a contending Oshawa team.

Ottawa will give Nelson (CCHL Goaltender of the year as a 16 year old) every opportunity to prove capable in a retooling year. If he proves capable, I think they will run with him in the second half. So, if a team is in need closer to the deadline, MacKenzie may be made available to a contender. Actually, I am almost certain that he will be made available if Nelson proves capable. I cannot see Ottawa being in any sort of serious contention hat would see them keeping MacKenzie for a run.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015

I agree in most cases. Kingston for example may have handcuffed themselves a bit opting for an OA co-starter.
Brampton however has added the big piece at forward giving them plenty of LW/C options. Unless making a ridiculous offer for Mangone, there is no top six OA RW to be had that I am aware of. It does not seem unreasonable to me to add one D to round out the top four, and one goalie to maintain a team strength while profit taking from a Leenders trade.
There will be OA goalies cheap relative to value added that will want to put off school for a year or add a year to their education package for a chance to graduate a champion. Considering how few OA spots are available for goalies, and only 30 games in the Usports schedule; none should have an issue with 25 starts to 43 for Ivankovic.

Last edited:
Reactions: EvenSteven

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015

The Knights seem fine having OA goalies, and might not be as needy at the position as many think. But that is a reason I feel the handful of potential OA goalies without a spot and every bit as good as Stutzka could be an option cheap for Brampton if moving Leenders.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Konnor Smith would go for less than both Matthew Andonovski and Andrew Smith as he in an overage. The Big Rig would likely go for a 2nd and 3rd where Andonovski would likely go for a 2008 born player and multiple draft picks and Gibson would likely go for a couple of 2nds, couple of 3rds and 4th if not a 2008 plus a draft pick or two. Brampton does not have a 2008 born player signed who they can trade. I am not sure what a good back up overage would likely not cost that much but a 19 year old would be two or three draft picks.

Andonovski would be a lot closer in value to Gibson than Rehkopf, I think. And I think K.Smith would be closer in value to VanVliet than DeAngelis or McCoy.
I don’t see a good reason for Brampton to add depth or redundancy when that can afford the best available.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I agree in most cases. Kingston for example may have handcuffed themselves a bit opting for an OA co-starter.
Brampton however has added the big piece at forward giving them plenty of LW/C options. Unless making a ridiculous offer for Mangone, there is no top six OA RW to be had that I am aware of. It does not seem unreasonable to me to add one D to round out the top four, and one goalie to maintain a team strength while profit taking from a Leenders trade.
There will be OA goalies cheap relative to value added that will want to put off school for a year or add a year to their education package for a chance to graduate a champion. Considering how few OA spots are available for goalies, and only 30 games in the Usports schedule; none should have an issue with 25 starts to 43 for Ivankovic.

Then the management of assets would be to trade both Ivankovic and Leenders and keep the OA Goalie if the OA Goalie is strong enough to begin with. Again, having an OA Goalie on your bench is no different than dressing Martone one game and Rehkopf the other. It makes zero sense at all. You can acquire a reasonable backup 19 year old for cheap.

If you assemble the skater group properly, the goalie really shouldn’t matter much until the semi-finals of the League Championship.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Then the management of assets would be to trade both Ivankovic and Leenders and keep the OA Goalie if the OA Goalie is strong enough to begin with. Again, having an OA Goalie on your bench is no different than dressing Martone one game and Rehkopf the other. It makes zero sense at all. You can acquire a reasonable backup 19 year old for cheap.

If you assemble the skater group properly, the goalie really shouldn’t matter much until the semi-finals of the League Championship.

Don’t be ridiculous; I’m not suggesting move Leenders to add Hillebrandt. I am suggesting there will be OA goalies that would choose 25 OHL starts and a shot at a championship over a 30 game Usports schedule where they might not be the starter for the top hockey schools.
The best available OA goalies will be less expensive than an adequate 19 yr old goalie. I expect less of a gap in the cost of the best OA skaters to 19 yr olds when compared to goalies.

The steelheads have an excellent goalie tandem. They can move Leenders, add a very good insurance policy; [(and add assets in the process)].
There is not a good enough reason to turn a team strength into a question mark.

Last edited:
Reactions: EvenSteven

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Don’t be ridiculous; I’m not suggesting move Leenders to add Hillebrandt. I am suggesting there will be OA goalies that would choose 25 OHL starts and a shot at a championship over a 30 game Usports schedule.
The best available OA goalies will be less expensive than an adequate 19 yr old goalie. I expect less of a gap in the cost of the best OA skaters to 19 yr olds when compared to goalies.

The steelheads have an excellent goalie tandem. They can move Leenders, add a very good insurance policy; [(and add assets in the process)].
There is not a good enough reason to turn a team strength into a question mark.

I agree that there may be an OA that is willing to just hang out for a season but is that the goalie you want as the backup? Someone that doesn't really care about playing?

With respect to cost, the worst case scenario comparable is Vandenburg as two 3rd round picks when considering a 19 year old. That is the absolute highest cost for a replacement value 19 year old. Even that is high. Usually at the deadline, there are a few out there cheap. Ottawa acquired Michelone at the deadline for a 9th. Donoso was a waiver claim as an OA and obviously that would be the cheapest option (free). Keep In mind that Donoso wanted out of Ottawa if he wasn’t going to be a starter so even he wasn’t’ interested in sticking around if MacK was going to start.

So the difference between a decent OA goalie and a comparable 19 year old is two 3rd round picks. If you think a Championship calibre team is going to roster an OA goalie as a backup in an effort to save at best two 3rd round picks while burning an integral OA spot, I am not sure what to say.

The reality is, the only value the backup has for a Championship calibre team is in Round 3 and the Championship Final as an injury replacement when they have to start playing comparable teams. The rest of the year, a Championship calibre team should be able to easily survive with replacement value goaltending. Even Ottawa went 12-3-2 with MacKenzie out and Michelone starting. Michelone was at best a replacement level starter. Good teams don’t need a strong backup to win games.

Teams go through injury issues. Adding that extra skater really helps to stretch out the depth to allow for better risk management for their skater core.

Saginaw did it right last year when they acquired Lalonde flipping a 5th for a 7th. So, they only gave up draft positioning of two rounds in the middle of the draft. There is no reason why Mississauga would be unable to do something similar.

IF IF IF, Ivankovic were to develop in injury issue that is likely to linger then I would agree getting a more capable backup and manage his load would be the one single caveat that would maybe make me consider a more capable OA goalie.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
The Knights seem fine having OA goalies, and might not be as needy at the position as many think. But that is a reason I feel the handful of potential OA goalies without a spot and every bit as good as Stutzka could be an option cheap for Brampton if moving Leenders.
But sztuska would be a top goalie in the league. Doesn’t make sense trading Leenders just to get another top goalie that’ll take the back seat to Ivankovic.

I think London looks at Sztuska as OA’s goalies are usually pretty cheap and they don’t like spending much unless it’s a multi year investment and then Brantford overpays to get Leenders

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
But sztuska would be a top goalie in the league. Doesn’t make sense trading Leenders just to get another top goalie that’ll take the back seat to Ivankovic.

I think London looks at Sztuska as OA’s goalies are usually pretty cheap and they don’t like spending much unless it’s a multi year investment and then Brantford overpays to get Leenders

Sztuska is not an OA, I did not suggest him for Brampton.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Sztuska is not an OA, I did not suggest him for Brampton.

he is an OA

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I agree that there may be an OA that is willing to just hang out for a season but is that the goalie you want as the backup? Someone that doesn't really care about playing?

With respect to cost, the worst case scenario comparable is Vandenburg as two 3rd round picks when considering a 19 year old. That is the absolute highest cost for a replacement value 19 year old. Even that is high. Usually at the deadline, there are a few out there cheap. Ottawa acquired Michelone at the deadline for a 9th. Donoso was a waiver claim as an OA and obviously that would be the cheapest option (free). Keep In mind that Donoso wanted out of Ottawa if he wasn’t going to be a starter so even he wasn’t’ interested in sticking around if MacK was going to start.

So the difference between a decent OA goalie and a comparable 19 year old is two 3rd round picks. If you think a Championship calibre team is going to roster an OA goalie as a backup in an effort to save at best two 3rd round picks while burning an integral OA spot, I am not sure what to say.

The reality is, the only value the backup has for a Championship calibre team is in Round 3 and the Championship Final as an injury replacement when they have to start playing comparable teams. The rest of the year, a Championship calibre team should be able to easily survive with replacement value goaltending. Even Ottawa went 12-3-2 with MacKenzie out and Michelone starting. Michelone was at best a replacement level starter. Good teams don’t need a strong backup to win games.

Teams go through injury issues. Adding that extra skater really helps to stretch out the depth to allow for better risk management for their skater core.

Saginaw did it right last year when they acquired Lalonde flipping a 5th for a 7th. So, they only gave up draft positioning of two rounds in the middle of the draft. There is no reason why Mississauga would be unable to do something similar.

IF IF IF, Ivankovic were to develop in injury issue that is likely to linger then I would agree getting a more capable backup and manage his load would be the one single caveat that would maybe make me consider a more capable OA goalie.

Can’t always be lucky; Erie rid themselves of Lalonde because he had a 4.69 GAA and 0.837 SV% getting pulled twice in four games. Even in Saginaw, he had a mediocre at 0.874 SV%. Though I’m sure he got his confidence back along the way piling up a 21-6 W-L record.

A good OA goalie will be CHEAP! The steelheads biggest needs are one D for the top four, and a top six RW; they are very unlikely to fill that RW with an OA.

he is an OA

My mistake. But I did not recommend him for the steelheads as I thought he was not an OA…perhaps not terrific English - the best OAs would be every bit as good as Sztuska [one] could be an option for Brampton.

Last edited:

All the Answers

Jan 19, 2020
Malbeouf will go for cheap or waivers and would likely be fine with 25 games on a contender if he's content being in the league.

Parsons is a starter and will want a workload representative of his skillset. Not a good match for Brampton.

2 OAs on Kitchener alone which will be shopped this season likely. Should be a buyer's market.

All this said, Brampton shouldn't be looking to add an OA goalie IMO

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Can’t always be lucky; Erie rid themselves of Lalonde because he had a 4.69 GAA and 0.837 SV% getting pulled twice in four games. Even in Saginaw, he had a mediocre at 0.874 SV%. Though I’m sure he got his confidence back along the way piling up a 21-6 W-L record.

A good OA goalie will be CHEAP! The steelheads biggest needs are one D for the top four, and a top six RW; they are very unlikely to fill that RW with an OA.

My mistake. But I did not recommend him for the steelheads as I thought he was not an OA…perhaps not terrific English - the best OAs would be every bit as good as Sztuska could be an option for Brampton.

We will have to agree to disagree. Both 19 year old and 20 year old goalies are cheap. Just because the OA is marginally cheaper there is still the opportunity cost associated to not upgrading a skater with an elite OA that is far cheaper than the upgrade cost in net.

Reactions: All the Answers

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
We will have to agree to disagree. Both 19 year old and 20 year old goalies are cheap. Just because the OA is marginally cheaper there is still the opportunity cost associated to not upgrading a skater with an elite OA that is far cheaper than the upgrade cost in net.

Context you choose to ignore - if the position of need (RW) cannot be filled with an OA, fill the position of need with an 18-19 yr old; then use the remaining assets to fill the one D opening, and perhaps goalie with OAs. That way the goalie tandem is still a team strength.

Last edited:

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Context you choose to ignore - if the position of need (RW) cannot be filled with an OA, fill the position of need with an 18-19 yr old; then use the remaining assets to fill the one D opening, and perhaps goalie with OAs. That way the goalie tandem is still a team strength.

You are assuming a Left Shot player is unable to play Right wing. Although it may not be ideal, many players listed at RW are actual left shots. It is the same for the defence. It is rare to see a fully balanced lineup. If you take an elite LW and play him on the right side, that player will likely be more impactful than an average Right Shot.

We also discussed acquiring a centre and moving Karmiris to the right side.

The reality is, they don’t have a “gap” at backup goaltender. I don’t know if a team has ever considered as having a gap at backup goaltender at the OHL Level. Replacement level goalies are so plentiful that if a team has a gap at backup goaltender, the GM needs to take a step back.

An average backup goalie behind a top end team in front of him will be more than adequate. They don’t give up scoring opportunities, the defence clears the crease, and they typically score at a high rate.

Again, the difference between Michelone as a 19 year old for a 9th round pick and Donoso as an OA waiver claim is marginal at best, both as a trade asset and performance. Goalies are a dime a dozen which is why their trade value is typically poor unless they are elite. It is because the difference between the 15th best and 30th best goalie in the OHL is NIL. What calibre of team they play behind is the differentiator.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
You are assuming a Left Shot player is unable to play Right wing. Although it may not be ideal, many players listed at RW are actual left shots. It is the same for the defence. It is rare to see a fully balanced lineup. If you take an elite LW and play him on the right side, that player will likely be more impactful than an average Right Shot.

We also discussed acquiring a centre and moving Karmiris to the right side.

The reality is, they don’t have a “gap” at backup goaltender. I don’t know if a team has ever considered as having a gap at backup goaltender at the OHL Level. Replacement level goalies are so plentiful that if a team has a gap at backup goaltender, the GM needs to take a step back.

An average backup goalie behind a top end team in front of him will be more than adequate. They don’t give up scoring opportunities, the defence clears the crease, and they typically score at a high rate.

Again, the difference between Michelone as a 19 year old for a 9th round pick and Donoso as an OA waiver claim is marginal at best, both as a trade asset and performance. Goalies are a dime a dozen which is why their trade value is typically poor unless they are elite. It is because the difference between the 15th best and 30th best goalie in the OHL is NIL. What calibre of team they play behind is the differentiator.

Left or right shot, the only top six OA RW that might be moved that I am aware of is Mangone. I don’t think Saginaw sells this year.
Karmiris could very well be moved to RW as we discussed earlier. But he lead his team in face-offs as a 17 yr old, so I doubt that happens.

Maybe a trade for an OA D and an OA goalie waiver claim does happen.
Except for OA RW, trade possibilities are nearly endless. Heck, maybe the NB top line of VanSteensel-Wakely-Romani is traded for Karmiris and JVV.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Left or right shot, the only top six OA RW that might be moved that I am aware of is Mangone. I don’t think Saginaw sells this year.
Karmiris could very well be moved to RW as we discussed earlier. But he lead his team in face-offs as a 17 yr old, so I doubt that happens.

Maybe a trade for an OA D and an OA goalie waiver claim does happen.
Except for OA RW, trade possibilities are nearly endless. Heck, maybe the NB top line of VanSteensel-Wakely-Romani is traded for Karmiris and JVV.

In all fairness, it wasn’t like Mississauga was gifted with elite centres. Each of their centres last year could have been moved to the wing. None of Karmiris, Misa, JVV, nor MacDonell were strong at that position. Top centres usually take upwards of 1200-1300 faceoffs. Karmiris was in the 900’s. MacDonell, Misa, and JVV were all ~800. So, Karmiris took about two extra faceoffs per game above those other three. It is not like he was the go to guy. It was mostly spread out quite a bit, way more than most teams would.

At the end of the day, the OA backup goalie at best is a fall back strategy and really should not be the plan “A.” I agree they likely need a D-Man with one of the two open OA spots. The third one should be prioritized in order:
1> 2nd line centre. Move Karmiris to the wing. Line up JVV or MacDonell as the 3C.
2> Acquire a RW. Whether it is another LW that plays the right side like Stonehouse in more of a pest role or someone like VanSteensel that plays straight forward as a scorer, it shouldn’t make a difference at this level. Guys play off wings successfully on many rosters.
3> A 3rd D-Man. The 3rd D-Man would be more of a luxury but depending on how they deploy assets in trades, they may benefit from three OA D-Men if they feel the need to upgrade the 2nd pairing and can flip one of their current D-Men in a trade that makes sense.
4> Goalie. This could be more prioritized if Ivankovic goes down with an injury and it is of the nagging type.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Albania vs Georgia
    Albania vs Georgia
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $472.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Andorra vs Malta
    Andorra vs Malta
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $225.00