OHL Road Trip

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

southsideIrish

Nov 23, 2019
One of Saturn's moons
YOU STOLE MY ITINERARY! But since I'm targeting the 2025-26 season, you'veĺ done me a HUGE favor by smoothing the ice with this thread & soliciting opinions from folks in the know. Thanks, and safe travels for you & your son.
It's awesome that there's so many teams in such an easily driveable area - can hit 3-4 games in a long weekend easy. Very convenient.

JMCx4

Welcome to: The Dumbing Down Era of HFBoards
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
It's awesome that there's so many teams in such an easily driveable area - can hit 3-4 games in a long weekend easy. Very convenient.
I'll be looking for a stretch of scheduled games over a 1+ week period (incl. 2 weekends), allowing time between to see what some or all of the home cities have to offer beyond hockey. No sense in crossing the border if my wife & I don't take the opportunity to explore, so seasonal weather conditions (as often mentioned in this thread) will be a key factor in our enjoyment & safety.

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
Thank you! I had the Works in London and the Bad Dog in Sarnia on my list but didn't have the Boot & Blade in OS. Figured the Best Western would be the best option in OS....
Depending on your taste, Mudtown Station and The Yard aren't far from the Hotel/Rink in Owen Sound either and have good food/beverage options.

Reactions: OSA

NorthernVoice

Oct 5, 2017
I'll be looking for a stretch of scheduled games over a 1+ week period (incl. 2 weekends), allowing time between to see what some or all of the home cities have to offer beyond hockey. No sense in crossing the border if my wife & I don't take the opportunity to explore, so seasonal weather conditions (as often mentioned in this thread) will be a key factor in our enjoyment & safety.
You'll be fine since there are few if any early week games in the OHL. With two weekends, you have the benefit of being able to do a weekend in the west and a weekend in the east if you desired.

If I were doing this, it would make a lot of sense to plan my trip around London/Kitchener in the West and Oshawa/Peterborough in the East. In each instance you get a great mix of tradition (both on and off ice), as well as a great range of buildings and game presentations and different size cities for getting a sense of Southern Ontario.

And it wouldn't need to be just those cities obviously but Oshawa is 45 minutes from Toronto, traffic dependent. Peterborough is another 45 from there. Continuing on to Kingston or Ottawa is very manageable as well (for city experience I would rank Kingston well ahead of Ptbo/Oshawa but for hockey experience it's a distant third). Same thing in the west, from London/Kitchener you a very short drive to a ton of other OHL rinks.

southsideIrish

Nov 23, 2019
One of Saturn's moons
That sounds fun, I def wouldn't have as much time. My wife & I have been to Toronto, seen the HHOF and the CN Tower, also spent some time at Niagara Falls. But if she and my daughter go they'll definitely want to do some non-hockey stuff.

But if it's my son and I only we'll be doing mostly hockey - will still have time to do a couple other things also, esp. the HHOF, he's never been to that.

donjohnson

Jan 29, 2013
We always hit up something "local" while we're on these roadtrips...can be something big like the HHOF or small like checking out the liftlock in Peterborough.

Reactions: JMCx4

ScoutLife4

Nov 28, 2023
Owen Sound in Feb can be like playing russian roulette.
I think if you are an American wanting to get the full OHL experience you should target London and Kitchener on the trip. -Those are 2 of the best barns + they usually have solid teams.
Pair it up with a Icedogs game on your way through St Catherines as it's not far from Buffalo if the schedule allows.
Guelph is not a bad option either for some reason that is one of my favorite barns.

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
We always hit up something "local" while we're on these roadtrips...can be something big like the HHOF or small like checking out the liftlock in Peterborough.
Zactly ... Like when my wife & I visited the Professional Wrestling Hall of Fame & Museum in Wichita Falls, Texas (since permanently closed, sorry to report 😢) before attending an NAHL junior game.

Reactions: All the Answers

dkl

Jul 11, 2022
Niagara, Canada
As for St. Catharines, not really a bad seat in the place. All lower bowl, 15$ gets you in the "temporary" seats next to the zamboni doors. Unfortunately lately haven't been too many sell out crowds (thanks DD). Pretty standard arena, not much usually going on outside of the arena, worth doing a loop inside just to see the different tables and stuff. Not sure how your dates work out with other games, but Nov 17th and 23rd are specialty games, "Eras Day (taylor swift thing? idek) and the Teddy Bear toss respectively. Superhero jersey game on Feb 16th as well.

I usually park here when I go to games, it's $5 cash only on game days, but less than 5 min walk to the arena, and never have trouble getting in and out. There's probably free street parking in and around downtown but I never go through the trouble of taking the time.

St. Paul Street right across the bridge from the Meridian Centre has a ton of restaurants and bars to choose from as far as food goes, Oddbird/The Works/Ludology/East or Wind are some of the places I go, but really can't go wrong with any place you walk into. A pretty lively little area. Also some other thrift stores/record stores/gaming shops/Montebello Park/etc. to explore in downtown St. Catharines as well before a game within walking distance.

JoeSchmo

Jul 17, 2024
Hey everyone - my son and I follow Jr. hockey and have wanted to do an OHL road trip for some time. We're thinking of flying up from Atlanta to Detroit, crossing over to Windsor and then driving across southern Ont, seeing 3-4 games if possible then leaving Canada via Niagara Falls and flying back to ATL from Buffalo, the flights work out well. Plus maybe duck into Toronto to see the HHOF.

Thinking of seeing a Spitfires game, Knights game, then a couple more of either the Sting, Rangers, Storm, Attack, Colts and maybe Ice Dogs too.

Looking at the schedule best chance of hitting several games would be in November or February and I know winter would be a challenge but I'm hoping Canada does well keeping roads clear? My question is, any advice on which games to take in, best arenas, parking, hotels, restaurants? I've done plenty of research and we'd love to see big time operations like the Knights or Spits but also smaller ones like Owen Sound. Or older buildings like Kitchener.

Any advice you want to share would be welcome, I realize this is a very broad topic.

You’re going to be this close to the Soo and not see a Greyhound game?!?

southsideIrish

Nov 23, 2019
One of Saturn's moons
Owen Sound in Feb can be like playing russian roulette.
I think if you are an American wanting to get the full OHL experience you should target London and Kitchener on the trip. -Those are 2 of the best barns + they usually have solid teams.
Pair it up with a Icedogs game on your way through St Catherines as it's not far from Buffalo if the schedule allows.
Guelph is not a bad option either for some reason that is one of my favorite barns.
Yeah was thinking it will be hard to choose between Lon-Kit-OS or even Guelph I've heard it's nice.

If we do the full Thurs-Fri-Sat-Sun we have more options.....

As for St. Catharines, not really a bad seat in the place. All lower bowl, 15$ gets you in the "temporary" seats next to the zamboni doors. Unfortunately lately haven't been too many sell out crowds (thanks DD). Pretty standard arena, not much usually going on outside of the arena, worth doing a loop inside just to see the different tables and stuff. Not sure how your dates work out with other games, but Nov 17th and 23rd are specialty games, "Eras Day (taylor swift thing? idek) and the Teddy Bear toss respectively. Superhero jersey game on Feb 16th as well.

I usually park here when I go to games, it's $5 cash only on game days, but less than 5 min walk to the arena, and never have trouble getting in and out. There's probably free street parking in and around downtown but I never go through the trouble of taking the time.

St. Paul Street right across the bridge from the Meridian Centre has a ton of restaurants and bars to choose from as far as food goes, Oddbird/The Works/Ludology/East or Wind are some of the places I go, but really can't go wrong with any place you walk into. A pretty lively little area. Also some other thrift stores/record stores/gaming shops/Montebello Park/etc. to explore in downtown St. Catharines as well before a game within walking distance.
Thanks for that parking garage, I had heard from someone else either there or the Carlisle St garages are the best options - and he ate at the Merchant Ale House and said that was pretty good. Said the area was nice, with little cross bridges to the rink.

You’re going to be this close to the Soo and not see a Greyhound game?!?
I don't know if this qualifies as close to the Soo lol! Although I'd love to get up there as well. I used to camp many moons ago in the UP - went to the Shipwreck Museum. But that was like 30 years ago.....

• Haha
Reactions: JoeSchmo

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Hey everyone - my son and I follow Jr. hockey and have wanted to do an OHL road trip for some time. We're thinking of flying up from Atlanta to Detroit, crossing over to Windsor and then driving across southern Ont, seeing 3-4 games if possible then leaving Canada via Niagara Falls and flying back to ATL from Buffalo, the flights work out well. Plus maybe duck into Toronto to see the HHOF. ...
Don't dismiss the option of starting your journey in Buffalo & returning home from Detroit. It might offer some airfare savings (depending on your travel dates), and timing flexibility for game dates & non-hockey attraction visits along your Ontario route. There may also be some subtle differences between entering Canada from Buffalo vs. Detroit, but those would require deeper digging to determine whether one POE would be preferred (e.g., typical processing times, traffic volumes on the days/times you'd be crossing each way).

Reactions: southsideIrish

flamebird

Jul 28, 2007
Hey everyone - my son and I follow Jr. hockey and have wanted to do an OHL road trip for some time. We're thinking of flying up from Atlanta to Detroit, crossing over to Windsor and then driving across southern Ont, seeing 3-4 games if possible then leaving Canada via Niagara Falls and flying back to ATL from Buffalo, the flights work out well. Plus maybe duck into Toronto to see the HHOF.

Thinking of seeing a Spitfires game, Knights game, then a couple more of either the Sting, Rangers, Storm, Attack, Colts and maybe Ice Dogs too.

Looking at the schedule best chance of hitting several games would be in November or February and I know winter would be a challenge but I'm hoping Canada does well keeping roads clear? My question is, any advice on which games to take in, best arenas, parking, hotels, restaurants? I've done plenty of research and we'd love to see big time operations like the Knights or Spits but also smaller ones like Owen Sound. Or older buildings like Kitchener.

Any advice you want to share would be welcome, I realize this is a very broad topic.
I haven't looked at the the schedule, but based on travel plans

Windsor -> London -> Kitchener -> Guelph/Brantford -> Mississauga -> Niagara would probably be your most efficient travel path if you wanted to hit 3-4 games in a road trip.

Reactions: southsideIrish

All the Answers

Jan 19, 2020

Windsor -> London -> Kitchener -> Guelph/Brantford -> Mississauga -> Niagara would probably be your most efficient travel path if you wanted to hit 3-4 games in a road trip.
Mississauga doesn't have a team ;)

southsideIrish

Nov 23, 2019
One of Saturn's moons

Yeah there's several options based on the weekends we're looking at, with so many teams in such a small area it's easy to hit several. I like the Spitfires, and my wife and I had Caps tickets for a while so would like to see Hunter's Knights, but also Kitchener/Guelph and Owen Sound are appealing, with Niagara a possibility also. No real interest in the Steelheads (Brampton these days?) or Hamilton, Brantford - with a short visit I want to hit some of those others.

And maybe duck east a bit - Barrie, Oshawa, PBO, who knows. A lot depends on if its just my son and I - then we'll hit 4 games probably. If my wife and daughter come too we'll probably need a day for non-hockey activities. Also depends on when we go. Driving for me isn't a problem unless the weather is complete snow madness.

Don't dismiss the option of starting your journey in Buffalo & returning home from Detroit. It might offer some airfare savings (depending on your travel dates), and timing flexibility for game dates & non-hockey attraction visits along your Ontario route. There may also be some subtle differences between entering Canada from Buffalo vs. Detroit, but those would require deeper digging to determine whether one POE would be preferred (e.g., typical processing times, traffic volumes on the days/times you'd be crossing each way).
Yeah we've looked at options both ways and there's plenty of options....that's what makes this region so perfect for this kind of madness lol.

OSA

Jun 11, 2011
Bistro Mirepoix. A great place to eat brunch in St. Catharines. Cozy restaurant, Michelin star chef/owner.

Lakeshore Rd from Winston Churchill to the QEW is quite a nice drive; nice homes to see and high quality restaurants in Oakville & Burlington. Spencer Smith park is probably the nicest on Lake Ontario.

Elora and Fergus are beautiful little towns north of Kitchener/Guelph that you could stop off at while en route to Owen Sound

Route 1 between Owen Sound and Wiarton is quite a nice drive if you make it there and have some time

Collingwood/Blue Mountain is a lovely part of Ontario and it’s right between Barrie and Owen Sound. Running North/South between here and the GTA is Airport Road. A highly recommended route alternstive.

Stratford is another place to consider visiting on your trip. It’s between London and Kitchener. Outside of Toronto, it has the best live theatre in the province (unsure what the offerings would be in February) and, also noteworthy, is the William Allman arena which I believe is the oldest hockey arena still in use in North America…and it’s immaculate

Last edited:

rve24

Oct 26, 2022
Great thanks everyone - still working out if, when, etc we're going to go but will definitely hit you up if I can.

What's the weather like in Nov and then in Feb? I assume cold and snowy esp. in Feb - is it easy to get around southern Ontario?
Nov better option

When you pick a weekend Ill give info I have. Traveled to most of the cities for hockey n work. I'll give ya what I Know. Also if in London let me know when. I've had seasons since 99 and always can get a couple freebies in our section 113 aisle.

Last edited:

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
Bistro Mirepoix. A great place to eat brunch in St. Catharines. Cozy restaurant, Michelin star chef/owner.

Lakeshore Rd from Winston Churchill to the QEW is quite a nice drive; nice homes to see and high quality restaurants in Oakville & Burlington. Spencer Smith park is probably the nicest on Lake Ontario.

Elora and Fergus are beautiful little towns north of Kitchener/Guelph that you could stop off at while en route to Owen Sound

Route 1 between Owen Sound and Wiarton is quite a nice drive if you make it there and have some time

Collingwood/Blue Mountain is a lovely part of Ontario and it’s right between Barrie and Owen Sound. Running North/South between here and the GTA is Airport Road. A highly recommended route alternstive.

Stratford is another place to consider visiting on your trip. It’s between London and Kitchener. Outside of Toronto, it has the best live theatre in the province (unsure what the offerings would be in February) and, also noteworthy, is the William Allman arena which I believe is the oldest hockey arena still in use in North America…and it’s immaculate

If you like more upscale dining, "Shanny's Kitchen" downtown Owen Sound is really good. Opened last November I believe.

tech7817

Sep 29, 2019
I know you said Peterborough is a little out of the way, but every one should take in a game at the PMC. The history on the walls, and up in the rafters is unmatched. The Peterborough and district sports hall of fame is built in, and has some truly amazing stuff. You'll get to experience the famous square corners, and listen to long time PA announcer Gord Gibb, who is one of a kind.
Come in February and bring your skates, skate under and in front of the world's highest hydraulic lift lock on the canal.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009

If you’re looking for the oldest continuously operating arena in the world, that Galt Arena Gardens in Cambridge, right next to Kitchener and Guelph.

OSA

Jun 11, 2011
If you’re looking for the oldest continuously operating arena in the world, that Galt Arena Gardens in Cambridge, right next to Kitchener and Guelph.

Not to split hairs, but according to this article, the William Allman arena “opened” 2 years before the Galt Arena.

I’ve been to both and they’re both worth a visit. But the maintenance of the Allman has been immaculate over the years and it shows. Not so much for Galt.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad