Offseason Thread Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
He showed the flashes and was close. I don't know if Covid stopped it, the horrendous PP, or just lack of any real puck movement from the backend... I think he'll break out in a big way next year. Hamilton changes the whole defense and PP on his own... then adding Graves should give them a solid top 4. Adding Tatar stabilizes players up front with Foote and Holtz on the verge of stepping in. Really solid top 9 if Hughes becomes a 1C.
I’m assuming their top 6 looks like:

Luokkanen-Hughes-Sharangovic

Tatar-Hischier-Bratt

That’s a really nice top 6. And now their top 4 D look way better now that they have a high end 1D.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Yea NJ added quite a lot this summer. If Hughes and Hischier take the next step they can be a playoff team...and Subban ($9M) is coming off the hook next summer. That'll help too.

Avaholic29

Feb 5, 2014
I’m assuming their top 6 looks like:

Luokkanen-Hughes-Sharangovic

Tatar-Hischier-Bratt

That’s a really nice top 6. And now their top 4 D look way better now that they have a high end 1D.

Not sure I’d call that a really nice top 6. A nice 1-2 punch at Center for sure though.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Yea NJ added quite a lot this summer. If Hughes and Hischier take the next step they can be a playoff team...and Subban ($9M) is coming off the hook next summer. That'll help too.

We'll see. On paper the NJ rebuild appears to be on track. But...something still feels very much off. Like, maybe just the overall quality of the core here just doesn't seem especially mind-blowing. I dunno, just MHO, wouldn't be the first time I've been way wrong.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
We'll see. On paper the NJ rebuild appears to be on track. But...something still feels very much off. Like, maybe just the overall quality of the core here just doesn't seem especially mind-blowing. I dunno, just MHO, wouldn't be the first time I've been way wrong.
The main thing that I dislike is Hamilton has 2-3 years of prime left and they are 2-3 years away from being a real playoff team. If they ever get to be a real cup contender with that core (in like 5 years) his contract could become a worse version of what we are seeing here with EJ.

Hawks did the exact same thing with Jones.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Not sure I’d call that a really nice top 6. A nice 1-2 punch at Center for sure though.
I mean Kuokkanen and Sharangovich look like top 6 guys going forwards. And like you said the 1-2 punch at C is very good which is what’s most important.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Depends on Blackwood. I was expecting Hart to take a step forward after his playoff run then look what happened to him last season.
They have Bernier as their backup there. They’ve provided nice insulation there and through the lineup (except center where they will love and die by the group).

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
The main thing that I dislike is Hamilton has 2-3 years of prime left and they are 2-3 years away from being a real playoff team. If they ever get to be a real cup contender with that core (in like 5 years) his contract could become a worse version of what we are seeing here with EJ.

Yep...Boomer and Hahn are doing GM grades this week on NHL Radio and Boom has repeatedly said that third contracts for players are usually the worst ones for teams, as you know you're buying up decline years. There's a real disparity right now between players now pushing for big paydays in their prime RFA years and UFA years not happening until a player's late twenties. Hard to believe that when Joe Sakic signed his final big contract in 2001 at the age of 31 that he was considered to be "in his prime." Now...Joe lived up to that deal and then some, but he was a big-time exception to the rule. I wonder if we'll ever see a course-correction, something tells me we won't and another lockout is looming.

SoftMittsHardSticks

Jan 3, 2014
Heiskanen is actually the only player in the 80 percentile so Girard is definitely unique.
PlayerPosition TypeShootsAge RangeSeasonsContinuousSim Score
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
1Miro HeiskanenDL19-2118-21Y83.3
2Kris RussellDL21-2308-11Y79.5
3Seth JonesDR19-2114-17Y79.3
4Oliver Ekman-LarssonDL19-2110-13Y78.7
5Oliver Ekman-LarssonDL21-2312-15Y78.6
6Jared SpurgeonDR21-2311-14Y78.4
7Oliver Ekman-LarssonDL20-2211-14Y77.9
8Rasmus DahlinDL18-2018-21Y77.7
9Travis SanheimDL22-2418-21Y77.2
10Tj BrodieDL22-2412-15Y77.1
11Seth JonesDR20-2215-18Y77
12Brady SkjeiDL22-2416-19Y77
13Andrej SekeraDL22-2408-11Y76.5
14Vince DunnDL21-2318-21Y76.4
15Shayne GostisbehereDL22-2415-18Y76.3
16Ryan EllisDR20-2211-14Y76.2
17Rasmus AnderssonDR20-2217-20Y76
18Rasmus AnderssonDR21-2318-21Y76
19Drew DoughtyDR21-2311-14Y75.7
20Kris LetangDR20-2207-10Y75.6
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Thanks, much appreciated. Super interesting that Girard is so unique. Might have to subscribe for this coming season

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Yep...Boomer and Hahn are doing GM grades this week on NHL Radio and Boom has repeatedly said that third contracts for players are usually the worst ones for teams, as you know you're buying up decline years. There's a real disparity right now between players now pushing for big paydays in their prime RFA years and UFA years not happening until a player's late twenties. Hard to believe that when Joe Sakic signed his final big contract in 2001 at the age of 31 that he was considered to be "in his prime." Now...Joe lived up to that deal and then some, but he was a big-time exception to the rule. I wonder if we'll ever see a course-correction, something tells me we won't and another lockout is looming.

One thing they could do is to put a cap on the term according to their age

27 years old = 6 years cap
28 = 5 years
30 = 4 years
31 = 3 years
32 and up = 2 years

That would really help the teams to get rid of crippling contracts but the NHLPA would never accept that.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012

That is an area that analytics has really changed the game... even back in the day, the primes were not that different in ages. Just now it is talked about and regressions are better understood. Agents know the best ways to get players paid under this knowledge, and teams try to avoid the bad deals.

Reactions: Pokecheque

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
They have Bernier as their backup there. They’ve provided nice insulation there and through the lineup (except center where they will love and die by the group).
Bernier might be able to provide some relief but they will live and die on Blackwood. I think Blackwood catapults his status a lot this season. Fully expecting him to have a great year.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
I look forward to watch the Rangers continue to spank the Devils.

Admittedly they have done a good job this offseason, but the same thing was said like 3 years ago also.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I look forward to watch the Rangers continue to spank the Devils.

Admittedly they have done a good job this offseason, but the same thing was said like 3 years ago also.

Wouldn't it be hilarious if, in their attempts to toughen up to take on the Islanders and Caps, leave themselves bad enough to be taken out by the Devils.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC

That's just how it works for the majority of rebuilding teams - you need those type of players to help actually become a competitive team and build a winning culture. EJ is on an anchor of a contract now, but he was still very important to help maintain a certain level of competitiveness (excluding the 2016-17 season).

Personally I think Chicago jumped the gun on multiple fronts and the Jones signing will end up looking like a mistake. However, I don't think the Hamilton signing will. New Jersey has a lot of young, elite talent, and the team needs to start building a winning mentality for those players to hit their potentials.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Wouldn't it be hilarious if, in their attempts to toughen up to take on the Islanders and Caps, leave themselves bad enough to be taken out by the Devils.
I fail to see how this would happen. All the Rangers have done is replace AHL-level players in the bottom six with legit NHL-level bottom six players. Buchnevich was traded, but that was inevitable anyway, to give Kakko and Kravtsov more ice time (they mostly played in the 3rd and 4th lines).

The Rangers have been #8 in scoring for the last two seasons. Scoring is not a problem for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad