Speculation: Offseason Roster Moves

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
We just did a blockbuster for Sergachev, so not sure we’re looking to do another big deal for another top LD. I think more of a depth on RD type of trade is the target.

Theodore prefers to play on the right, and he's played there 95% of the time during his years here on a contender and eventual champion, for what it's worth. He's left handed but his position is RD.

Reactions: rt

DougGilmour93

Feb 7, 2007
Leaf fan coming in peace. Just wanted to run this trade offer by you ladies and gents. Please feel free to counter offer if you don’t feel it’s fair…

Barbashev (5m) + Roy(3m) + Korczak (under 900,000) + 2nd

For

Marner (extended)

hangman005

It's my first day.
Apr 19, 2015
Iceland II the hotter crappier version.
It'd be a nay from me, Ideally it'd center around Pietrangelo if he'd waive, but realistically I think Theodore the more like target. I just feel we can more afford to lose players/depth on the backend than our forward core. I'm not as down on Marner as some, though that cap hit... is problematic, and then I would want him to come with the same attitude as Eichel did to play Cassidy hockey.

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2012
Leaf fan coming in peace. Just wanted to run this trade offer by you ladies and gents. Please feel free to counter offer if you don’t feel it’s fair…

Barbashev (5m) + Roy(3m) + Korczak (under 900,000) + 2nd

For

Marner (extended)

Korczak is a non starter. We have no business moving a potential top 4 D this year on an ELC. A Marner deal doesn't make sense unless he's at 50% this year and still I wouldn't add to Theo. I think smart money though is Vegas will see how things play out til the deadline and maybe into next summer. I'm guessing they want to keep cap cleared just in case for Drai. As of now they'll have nearly 30m to spend if they let Theo and Hill walk.

DougGilmour93

Feb 7, 2007
Korczak is a non starter. We have no business moving a potential top 4 D this year on an ELC. A Marner deal doesn't make sense unless he's at 50% this year and still I wouldn't add to Theo. I think smart money though is Vegas will see how things play out til the deadline and maybe into next summer. I'm guessing they want to keep cap cleared just in case for Drai. As of now they'll have nearly 30m to spend if they let Theo and Hill walk.
I find it funny that Korczak is a non starter in a deal for a player of Marners ilk (one of the top offensive/defensive players in the league in his prime).
No offence, but Korczak isn’t anywhere near being a top end league wide valued prospect. He just happens to be an up and comer for you guys.

The Duck Knight

Sponsor
Feb 6, 2012
I find it funny that Korczak is a non starter in a deal for a player of Marners ilk (one of the top offensive/defensive players in the league in his prime).
No offence, but Korczak isn’t anywhere near being a top end league wide valued prospect. He just happens to be an up and comer for you guys.

His league wide value doesn't matter at all. All that does matter is the value he represents to Vegas which is that he is Theodore's replacement in the event Theo is traded or not extended. The value of having him on an ELC is that valuable to Vegas.

DougGilmour93

Feb 7, 2007
His league wide value doesn't matter at all. All that does matter is the value he represents to Vegas which is that he is Theodore's replacement in the event Theo is traded or not extended. The value of having him on an ELC is that valuable to Vegas.
That makes sense but I doubt he would be the stumbling block if it meant Vegas acquiring a player like Marner.

What about Whitecloud?

The Duck Knight

Sponsor
Feb 6, 2012
That makes sense but I doubt he would be the stumbling block if it meant Vegas acquiring a player like Marner.

What about Whitecloud?

Whitecloud could definitely be available but I just don't think any Marner deal makes sense that isn't Theo+picks for Marner at 50%. That's the one place we can afford to subtract from for an addition up front. Moving Barbashev and Roy would be pretty bad for our forward depth.

More or less I don't think Marner to Vegas makes much sense. Unless it's in free agency next summer.

DougGilmour93

Feb 7, 2007
Whitecloud could definitely be available but I just don't think any Marner deal makes sense that isn't Theo+picks for Marner at 50%. That's the one place we can afford to subtract from for an addition up front. Moving Barbashev and Roy would be pretty bad for our forward depth.

More or less I don't think Marner to Vegas makes much sense. Unless it's in free agency next summer.
So…
Barbashev + Roy + Whitecloud +pick ….

Theodore doesn’t really fit what we need (forwards with grit and scoring ability)

Also, Toronto would do 0% retention on Marner.
The deal I concocted had Barbashevs (5m) and Roy’s (3m) coming to us to help with cap constraints. In this new version Whitecloud’s cap hit would come our way too.

And if Vegas needed depth we could send the likes of Kampf/Jarnkrok but I assume the wouldn’t be interested due to their cap hits. So maybe we could send some lower tier Marlies?

The Duck Knight

Sponsor
Feb 6, 2012
So…
Barbashev + Roy + Whitecloud +pick ….

Theodore doesn’t really fit what we need (forwards with grit and scoring ability)

Also, Toronto would do 0% retention on Marner.
The deal I concocted had Barbashevs (5m) and Roy’s (3m) coming to us to help with cap constraints. In this new version Whitecloud’s cap hit would come our way too.

And if Vegas needed depth we could send the likes of Kampf/Jarnkrok but I assume the wouldn’t be interested due to their cap hits. So maybe we could send some lower tier Marlies?

I'd have zero interest in that type of deal. Would essentially make us a 1 line team once Stone inevitably gets hurt. Theo is the piece that makes the most sense to move for a wing. Rather play out the year and try our luck in free agency next year than give up 3 quality players for Marner.

Reactions: VegasKnightlife

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $731.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 3