Speculation: Offseason Roster Moves

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
The line of thinking I had was something ole Roy+Whitecloud for 3x ‘25 2nds? Space to sign Marchessault and then deadline ammo.

Moving Roy just doesn't make much sense. Whitecloud maybe but only if Theodore isn't moved which IMO is the obvious move for Vegas to make this summer.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
Moving Roy just doesn't make much sense. Whitecloud maybe but only if Theodore isn't moved which IMO is the obvious move for Vegas to make this summer.
Easier to just let Stephenson go, basically? I’m seeing the capspace and I’m seeing the UFAs and I’m wondering how Vegas will make it work. They always figure out a way, so I’m sure they will. Just generally curious what fans are thinking will be the approach?

The Duck Knight

Feb 6, 2012
Easier to just let Stephenson go, basically? I’m seeing the capspace and I’m seeing the UFAs and I’m wondering how Vegas will make it work. They always figure out a way, so I’m sure they will. Just generally curious what fans are thinking will be the approach?

All the UFA's should be gone except Marchie. Stephenson especially isn't going to be worth what he gets. They don't need to move anyone really to sign Marchie, but I think they should get some value back for Theodore rather than sign him to an extension and use the extra cap for another top 9 wing. If they don't move Theo they kind of have to move Whitecloud to make room for Korczak though.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
All the UFA's should be gone except Marchie. Stephenson especially isn't going to be worth what he gets. They don't need to move anyone really to sign Marchie, but I think they should get some value back for Theodore rather than sign him to an extension and use the extra cap for another top 9 wing. If they don't move Theo they kind of have to move Whitecloud to make room for Korczak though.
So the idea is to trade Theodore to make the space for Marchessault? Then trade Whitecloud to make room for Korczak?

What do you expect the price is for Whitecloud?

Last edited:

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
Some idea is to trade Theodore to make the space for Marchessault? Then trade Whitecloud to make room for Korczak?

whitecloud's contract is excellent. i think it's way more likely theodore is moved but if whitecloud goes it's for an overpayment relative to his talent

The Duck Knight

Feb 6, 2012
So the idea is to trade Theodore to make the space for Marchessault? Then trade Whitecloud to make room for Korczak?

No it would be either Theo or Whitecloud out to make room for KK, not both. Theo just makes more sense.

They can bring back Marchie without moving Theo. Moving Theo would let them sign Marchie and another top 9 wing. They might have enough for Marchie as is or just need to move Howden/Whitecloud.

Whitecloud I'd probably want a 1st for due to the contract. He probably wouldn't fetch that which is why it doesn't make much sense to move him.

Last edited:

VivaLasVegas

Sponsor
Jun 21, 2021
Lost Wages, Nevada
Rangers fan coming in peace.

What would be the asking price on Shea Theodore?
Welcome in peace. Quite honestly, the way that McCrimmon wheels and deals we lowly fans have utterly no idea how he values things, recalling that McCrimmon was the guy who cast off Fleury and Pacioretty for "future considerations" while picking up Eichel for a song and Hertl with retention by SJS. So the price could literally be anywhere from "take him off our hands, please" to Panarin with retention.

The only thing that we are certain of is that McCrimmon's analysis team has an AI-driven quantum mechanics supercomputer that has calculated Theodore's trade value down to the last 1/1000th of a penny, whatever it is, and which automatically recalculates every time Theodore goes to his dry cleaners or gets his car washed.

The Duck Knight

Feb 6, 2012
Rangers fan coming in peace.

What would be the asking price on Shea Theodore?

Guessing Laf isn't on the table. At that point I'm not sure there is a fit. I think we'd be looking for a mid 20's or younger top 6 wing that has some cost control.

Rangerboy030

Apr 21, 2012
Guessing Laf isn't on the table. At that point I'm not sure there is a fit. I think we'd be looking for a mid 20's or younger top 6 wing that has some cost control.
Laf is definitely off the table, yes.

A young top 6 winger seems pretty steep for a pending UFA, great as Theodore is. Looking back, it strikes me that a fair price for Theodore would be somewhere between the returns that Hanifin got, and what Yandle got back when we traded for him.

Hanifin as a rental scored a first, a conditional third 2 years out, and Daniil Miromanov.
Yandle for 2 playoff runs (50% retained) plus Chris Summers and a 4th landed a young Anthony Duclair, John Moore, a lottery-protected 1st 2 years out and a 2nd.

Maybe this package is of interest - or the start of something that could be?

Kakko - yes yes, bust; I'm not going to sit here and tell you he's a sure-fire 70+ point winger waiting to flutter out of his cocoon, but he has good underlying metrics, has produced well with linemates who can generate off the cycle, and is young and cost-controlled. > John Moore/Miromanov
Your choice of Sykora (hard working propsect winger with good defence and some offensive skills - likely projects as a 3rd liner) or Robertson (smooth skating 2-way D prospect, not a big scorer, but steady). 3rd < X < Anthony Duclair,
NYR 2024 1st = 1st

The Duck Knight

Feb 6, 2012

A young top 6 winger seems pretty steep for a pending UFA, great as Theodore is. Looking back, it strikes me that a fair price for Theodore would be somewhere between the returns that Hanifin got, and what Yandle got back when we traded for him.

Hanifin as a rental scored a first, a conditional third 2 years out, and Daniil Miromanov.
Yandle for 2 playoff runs (50% retained) plus Chris Summers and a 4th landed a young Anthony Duclair, John Moore, a lottery-protected 1st 2 years out and a 2nd.

Kakko - yes yes, bust; I'm not going to sit here and tell you he's a sure-fire 70+ point winger waiting to flutter out of his cocoon, but he has good underlying metrics, has produced well with linemates who can generate off the cycle, and is young and cost-controlled. > John Moore/Miromanov
Your choice of Sykora (hard working propsect winger with good defence and some offensive skills - likely projects as a 3rd liner) or Robertson (smooth skating 2-way D prospect, not a big scorer, but steady). 3rd < X < Anthony Duclair,
NYR 2024 1st = 1st

The return from a Theo trade needs to help us win now or there just isn't much point. We don't need to move him to keep Marchie so if it's strictly futures we're probably better off just keeping him even as an own rental.

azvgk

Nov 29, 2019

NYR 2024 1st = 1st

NYR 2024 1st = 1s

NYR 2024 1st = 1st
I want no part of Kakko and that trade is unappealing. Theodore is an All-star caliber defenseman and was probably our top player until he got hurt. I understand that he's UFA after this year and will command a lot but I have no interest in giving him away for very little.

I also don't think he's what the Rangers need unless they're no signing Miller. The Rangers need is for physical wingers with some skill, our need is a top-6 sniper.

Rangerboy030

Apr 21, 2012
I want no part of Kakko and that trade is unappealing. Theodore is an All-star caliber defenseman and was probably our top player until he got hurt. I understand that he's UFA after this year and will command a lot but I have no interest in giving him away for very little.

I also don't think he's what the Rangers need unless they're no signing Miller. The Rangers need is for physical wingers with some skill, our need is a top-6 sniper.
Fair enough on the trade offer, but we definitely need Theodore or a player like him, Miller or no. We're being hamstrung by a lack of puck moving ability on our blueline, which is our biggest weakness as a team, and why we struggle so much against teams with good forechecking - a distressingly large proportion of our defence can't reliably get the puck out of our zone.

azvgk

Nov 29, 2019
Fair enough on the trade offer, but we definitely need Theodore or a player like him, Miller or no. We're being hamstrung by a lack of puck moving ability on our blueline, which is our biggest weakness as a team, and why we struggle so much against teams with good forechecking - a distressingly large proportion of our defence can't reliably get the puck out of our zone.
Fair enough on the need for Theo, but if that's the case (not that I know what's a fair offer, nor do I have any influence over management) you will need a much better offer, whether it be prospect, draft choices or cost-controlled players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad