Offseason Roster Moves, Rumors, and Discussion

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

GoJackets1

Someday.
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
I'd much rather have a center that has better defensive bonafides.
I was under the assumption that Monahan was regarded as very well rounded, when he’s playing well? From my quick look at some advanced stats he seems to have solid possession numbers, he does well on draws which we desperately need, and he plays a bit of PK. Honestly haven’t seen much of him to know for sure though.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Does someone know what happened in Calgary when he went from 82p to 29p in the span of two seasons? Knowing that has happened in the past, I'd worry a bit how he'll handle the CBJ mess
Hip and groin injuries and didnt take time to heal properly. Looked done but after taking time to actually recover he was a totally different player after moving to Montreal

puckgoalnet

Feb 23, 2003
Columbus, OH
Visit site
In listening to Waddell talk after the draft, he very very much cares about skating. Skating ability, speed, all of that. He says its the first thing he asks.

With that, given the amount of D we just took, and the relationship with the organization...I have a sneaky sneaky thought that Jiricek could be on the market.

In saying that, it doesnt seem like we're going to be active at all on the UFA market given Waddell's comments

My gut feeling on Jiricek is that he's destined to be a whipping boy by fans as long as he's here. Everyone liked a big bodied D, but he seems to be more of a big body that doesn't play like a big body.

I personally think he still needs another year in Cleveland to work on his D game and positioning.

I'd like to see him stay, but I've been talking myself into trading him ever since watching him in the AHL playoffs.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I was under the assumption that Monahan was regarded as very well rounded, when he’s playing well? From my quick look at some advanced stats he seems to have solid possession numbers, he does well on draws which we desperately need, and he plays a bit of PK. Honestly haven’t seen much of him to know for sure though.
From what I saw he was okayish on special teams, and okayish on 5v5 offense, but his 5v5 defense pretty much erased the latter benefit.

1719783256578.png

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
My gut feeling on Jiricek is that he's destined to be a whipping boy by fans as long as he's here. Everyone liked a big bodied D, but he seems to be more of a big body that doesn't play like a big body.

I personally think he still needs another year in Cleveland to work on his D game and positioning.

I'd like to see him stay, but I've been talking myself into trading him ever since watching him in the AHL playoffs.

He's always played like a big body, the problem is that he isn't filled out. His leg and core strength isn't there. He loves to hit and still does it but comes out on the wrong end of it often in the pros.

He'll probably get stronger and look better in that department going forward. And his defensive issues remind me a lot of Evan Bouchard at that age. I'm not forecasting Jiricek to score 80 pts but I think he has very high offensive upside and will provide a big boost to his team in that regard.

I'm with you that I hope they leave him in Cleveland next year.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Looking at a 3x3 based on AFP Analytics

That sample is pretty far back, if it was update for just this past season I think Monahan would get something closer to $5m x 3, which still might make sense for us.

Teams know that he's substantially recovered from his hip/groin/wrist injuries that combined to ruin a couple years for him. Someone will bet on him as a top six scorer.

If Monahan is real, this tells me Jenner or Sillinger are moving to wing.

Monahan as a top six wing might also work. He's not a particular good defender as far as centers go, so I'm not assuming Jenner would move to wing before he would.

Either way, he's a good scorer and I'd sign him as long as the term is relatively short (certainly not 5+ years).

CannonFire1

Jun 22, 2023
Seems like a reasonable bridge option until the kids are ready for bigger roles. Prior experience playing with JG. I wouldn't want the term to be longer than 3 yrs, though.

GoChill

Apr 19, 2007
Of the moves the Jackets made today the one I think they might come to regret was not qualifying Nylander. He was pretty good last year and not just because of the 11 goals. He was still only 26 but had been through injuries that may have set him back. Remember, Derek MacKenzie didn't become an NHL regular until 29 and he carved out a decent role in Columbus and Florida.

We could have qualified him for 814k pretty close to league minimum and if he didn't produce or someone better took his role waive him to Cleveland where he either gets claimed (problem solved) or plays with the Monsters and provides relatively cheap depth.

I mean I don't think this was a mistake like Craig Button buying out Martin St. Louis in Calagary kind of a mistake but I would have qualified him - depth with speed and possibly some upside on the cheap.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Of the moves the Jackets made today the one I think they might come to regret was not qualifying Nylander. He was pretty good last year and not just because of the 11 goals. He was still only 26 but had been through injuries that may have set him back. Remember, Derek MacKenzie didn't become an NHL regular until 29 and he carved out a decent role in Columbus and Florida.

We could have qualified him for 814k pretty close to league minimum and if he didn't produce or someone better took his role waive him to Cleveland where he either gets claimed (problem solved) or plays with the Monsters and provides relatively cheap depth.

I mean I don't think this was a mistake like Craig Button buying out Martin St. Louis in Calagary kind of a mistake but I would have qualified him - depth with speed and possibly some upside on the cheap.
Derek MacKenzie was also a heart and soul Danforth type guy who fought for his place in the league. Nylander has basically been the opposite but atleast finally showed something this past season to likely earn himself an oppurtunity somewhere else. At the end of the day we have no shortage of offensive guys so I get it.

Im disappointed about Blanks. Did he just see small and injured and thats all he needs to see?

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
Monahan as a top six wing might also work. He's not a particular good defender as far as centers go, so I'm not assuming Jenner would move to wing before he would.
He played 101 minutes on the PK last year, which I think is quite a bit. Might have gotten better at defending with age, idk.
Unfortunately it is just hard for him to play his style of game at the NHL level. Wish more people had his ‘fire’ and compete.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
You think it’s safe to assume only 1 UFA signing that is a D?
With how Waddell is starting out here Im not sure its safe to assume anything :laugh:. I mean Monahan/Dillon would be a pretty big success but id love to be a fly on the wall and know what they are actually discussing and what theyd do if they actually got their way

Reactions: majormajor

Ad

Upcoming events

• Brazil vs Colombia
    Brazil vs Colombia
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $14,538.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Costa Rica vs Paraguay
    Costa Rica vs Paraguay
    Wagers: 2