NCAA: Offseason Recruiting And News Thread

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
Matt Corral decommitted from USC yesterday and looks SEC bound. Fields and Corral are going to make two schools down south pretty happy.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
Richt is doing exactly what he did at UGA; recruiting skill positions and QB really well. He still can't recruit the OL or DL at an elite level, which is why he never got over the hump in Athens.

He's adapting his offense to South Florida athletes. All the high schools in the Miami/Dade County area run up-tempo veer attacks. Lots of zone reads and zone runs with shot plays over the top.

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com
Something I've always been confused about, why do transfers almost always have to sit out a year?

Is it some scholarship issue, due to the certain number that schools get, or Title IX?

It's just rankles me, given that coaches flip schools all the time, or the amount of money that the big 5 rakes in, but I don't understand what the sitting out is supposed to accomplish.

All I get from the NCAA FAQ is this:

The NCAA may require you to sit out of competition for a year after transferring to help you adjust to your new school.

Sep 19, 2008
Something I've always been confused about, why do transfers almost always have to sit out a year?

Is it some scholarship issue, due to the certain number that schools get, or Title IX?

It's just rankles me, given that coaches flip schools all the time, or the amount of money that the big 5 rakes in, but I don't understand what the sitting out is supposed to accomplish.

Whole lot of reasons but it was suggested on the Audible that players should transfer immediately like in European soccer but if they play a former team they would have to sit the game out. The NCAA has a lot of odd rules and regulations regarding player transfers. Again we go back to the case of Bill Snyder denying 35 requests for a transfer (before reversing his decision).

USC Trojans

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
May 17, 2002
LA Oiler fan
Matt Corral decommitted from USC yesterday and looks SEC bound. Fields and Corral are going to make two schools down south pretty happy.

There were some rumors that it was actually USC who initiated the drop as they looked further into his incident with Gretz's kid that led to him transferring.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle

It would also turn into free agency where football factories could stock their rosters from weaker teams.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
There were some rumors that it was actually USC who initiated the drop as they looked further into his incident with Gretz's kid that led to him transferring.

A fight in high school where he wasn't arrested or even punished by the school is the reason they dropped him? Yeah, I don't believe that. SEC schools had been visiting him for a couple of months prior to his decommitment. Someone got in his ear and convinced him to open it back up.

USC Trojans

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
May 17, 2002
LA Oiler fan
A fight in high school where he wasn't arrested or even punished by the school is the reason they dropped him? Yeah, I don't believe that. SEC schools had been visiting him for a couple of months prior to his decommitment. Someone got in his ear and convinced him to open it back up.

Well, we don't know exactly what happened at Oaks Christian, but apparently that was strike one, and something happened at a recent camp that gave Helton second thoughts.

Corral was a strong commit, and continued to help SC recruit up till a week before the de-commitment. To drop SC on a dime and remove them from his list (as opposed to keeping his options open for a re-commitment) is even stranger.

Sep 19, 2008
6/27: Addressing the future of The Audible & FOX Sports | Dave Wannstedt
The Audible
Duration: 56:10
Published: Tue, 27 Jun 2017 23:50:13 -0000
URL: http://rss.art19.com/episodes/cfdfa277-011d-4dc6-85d9-8a870320dbc4.mp3

<p>With recent changes at FOX Sports, Bruce and Stew address their current situation, what it means for this podcast, and what it means for sports journalism as an industry. Plus, Coach Dave ...

Subscribe to this podcast: http://feeds.feedburner.com/TheAudibleFOX

----
Sent from Podcast Republic 3.1.0
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.itunestoppodcastplayer.app

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
http://deadspin.com/texas-commits-jaded-brother-sells-him-out-to-ncaa-1796533948

Ibrahim Johnson, brother of five-star Texas commit Mohamed Bamba, posted a 22-minute Facebook Live video on Monday in which he repeated the phrase “long story short†at least a dozen times and claimed Bamba received, amongst other things, shoes, vacations, dental work, a television, a $200-per-week allowance, and credit card bill payments from Greer Love, a vice president at a Michigan-based investment firm. Basically, as Johnson put it, “all the **** that the NCAA will prosecute you for.â€

Johnson ratted out Bamba, the No. 2 recruit in the Class of 2017, after Bamba allegedly reneged on an offer to make his older brother his agent following his time at Texas. Johnson said he intended on following his younger brother to whichever school he chose and enroll in graduate school; from there, he hoped to complete a degree and obtain the necessary certification required of NBA agents.

According to Johnson’s version of events, Bamba backed out of the plan three days before he departed for Texas—Johnson claims Love told him “I’ve already got [agents] lined up for your brother†and that his brother told him to “stay on the blockâ€â€”and informed his older brother he’d prefer to be represented by a more established agent.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
ESPN.com news services

Oregon Ducks top wide receiver Darren Carrington has been indefinitely suspended by the team after he was arrested Saturday morning.

The 22-year-old junior was arrested early Saturday morning for driving under the influence of intoxicants after he hit a pole in a McDonald's drive-thru in Eugene, Oregon. Carrington was also cited for careless driving and making an improper right turn, Eugene police spokeswoman Melinda McLaughlin told The Oregonian.

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com
http://deadspin.com/texas-commits-jaded-brother-sells-him-out-to-ncaa-1796533948

Ibrahim Johnson, brother of five-star Texas commit Mohamed Bamba, posted a 22-minute Facebook Live video on Monday in which he repeated the phrase “long story short†at least a dozen times and claimed Bamba received, amongst other things, shoes, vacations, dental work, a television, a $200-per-week allowance, and credit card bill payments from Greer Love, a vice president at a Michigan-based investment firm. Basically, as Johnson put it, “all the **** that the NCAA will prosecute you for.ÂÂâ€

Johnson ratted out Bamba, the No. 2 recruit in the Class of 2017, after Bamba allegedly reneged on an offer to make his older brother his agent following his time at Texas. Johnson said he intended on following his younger brother to whichever school he chose and enroll in graduate school; from there, he hoped to complete a degree and obtain the necessary certification required of NBA agents.

According to Johnson’s version of events, Bamba backed out of the plan three days before he departed for Texas—Johnson claims Love told him “I’ve already got [agents] lined up for your brother†and that his brother told him to “stay on the blockÂÂâ€Ãƒâ€šÃ‚—and informed his older brother he’d prefer to be represented by a more established agent.

Tony Romo

Sep 25, 2011
I'm not trying to pimp out a texas player. But Conor Williams is good. Wonder about his length but best Tackle prospect in the draft.

COME AT ME GENE.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
James Cook decommitted from FSU. UGA bound with Fields. It's going to be a good month in Athens.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Just took my first look at the schedule since last season ended. I see more schools are getting in on playing the previous Saturday before the official Week 1.

I'm good with that, because it means more football earlier, and less time invested in pre-season NFL, but if it becomes a trend, then they should move everybody off of Championship Weekend unless you're in the Championship Game.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
My San Jose St Spartans are the stand alone 730 EST game Saturday the 26th, we host Charlie Strong and USF.

We also have a new coach and it's night and day. Never saw any press or social media from the old coach, and Brent Brennan is all over Twitter and Instagram and I am actually excited to see what happens, he was the WR coach at Oregon St, kind of a hire out of nowhere.

Sacha Baron Corbin

Jan 19, 2011
My San Jose St Spartans are the stand alone 730 EST game Saturday the 26th, we host Charlie Strong and USF.

We also have a new coach and it's night and day. Never saw any press or social media from the old coach, and Brent Brennan is all over Twitter and Instagram and I am actually excited to see what happens, he was the WR coach at Oregon St, kind of a hire out of nowhere.

Your a SJSU guy? That's pretty cool a couple of guys from the area I live in Southern California played football there

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad