Proposal: Offseason goalie carousel (VGK-MTL-TOR)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
Very real argument that Brossoit has been better for the last two years, but fair enough on the cap space, maybe not enough for a 2nd
okay, lets consider this...
last 2 seasons Brossoit has 34 games played
15 wins, 12 losses, and 3 ties (which now is a fancy way to say he lost) .918, and .903 this season (9-6-3 this season)
the oft injured Mrazek has only played 25 games (which is a huge knock against him)
15 wins, 6 losses, and 3 ties .923, and .895 this season (9-4-0 this season)

so, in less games Mrazek has the same wins and much fewer losses, and in net, thats all that really matters.
if you go back one more season, which is not unreasonable, its 6 wins (.895) for Brossoit and 21 (.905) for Mrazek

so, if you want to argue that the same amount of wins but double the losses is 'better' go ahead. ...only argument you'd win as far as 'better' would be at staying healthy (which is real enough).

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
Didn’t bother reading the whole thread, but as far as OP goes Toronto won’t be giving up highish picks to move mrazek. Ten seasons of play doesn’t get wiped away cause he had a shaky 6/7 game start here while reviving from a strained groin.
If Campbell or another goalie signs and creates a situation where mrazek has to go it won’t be to Montreal with a 2nd.
Just like how Toronto was going to have to spend premium assets to unload nick Ritchie…

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
If you stare at the proposal with blinders on, sure. 2nd rounder is literally just to dump Mrazek, he's a negative asset right now
No he isn’t. Even if you keep saying that doesn’t make it true. Just like nick Ritchie was going to cost a 2nd or 1st to move? They moved him and a 3rd (or a 2nd 3 years from now) for a guy who’d probably fetch a current 2nd on his own.

Reactions: teddygmr

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
I know you are one of the anti Leaf but wow is this bad

Me pointing out that you're objectively wrong about Saros in another thread does not make me "anti Leaf" lol.

Realistically are Leafs fans okay with going into next season with Mrazek as their starter? Because that's what's happening if he's not moved, their cap situation is getting worse this summer, not better. And with what he's shown in the past two years particularly with the inability to stay healthy, why would anyone take his contract for free? I've overcomplicated this by throwing Vegas in the mix, but a 2nd to dump his deal and get a cheaper, capable backup in return seems about right

Reactions: Stubu

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
okay, lets consider this...
last 2 seasons Brossoit has 34 games played
15 wins, 12 losses, and 3 ties (which now is a fancy way to say he lost) .918, and .903 this season (9-6-3 this season)
the oft injured Mrazek has only played 25 games (which is a huge knock against him)
15 wins, 6 losses, and 3 ties .923, and .895 this season (9-4-0 this season)

so, in less games Mrazek has the same wins and much fewer losses, and in net, thats all that really matters.
if you go back one more season, which is not unreasonable, its 6 wins (.895) for Brossoit and 21 (.905) for Mrazek

so, if you want to argue that the same amount of wins but double the losses is 'better' go ahead. ...only argument you'd win as far as 'better' would be at staying healthy (which is real enough).

Yeah sorry I don't think the argument "winning percentage is the only goalie stat that matters" is one I'm gonna entertain

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Me pointing out that you're objectively wrong about Saros in another thread does not make me "anti Leaf" lol.

Realistically are Leafs fans okay with going into next season with Mrazek as their starter? Because that's what's happening if he's not moved, their cap situation is getting worse this summer, not better. And with what he's shown in the past two years particularly with the inability to stay healthy, why would anyone take his contract for free? I've overcomplicated this by throwing Vegas in the mix, but a 2nd to dump his deal and get a cheaper, capable backup in return seems about right

This isn't a Marleau situation they aren't paying to get rid of him.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Figuring Vegas and Toronto will both have to dump some cap in the summer but will each still want to have a dependable backup. This could be an in season move if Allen comes back pre deadline

Vegas gets: Allen @50% (1.3475 expiring) + 2023 Toronto 7th
Toronto gets: Brossoit (2.325 expiring)
Montreal gets: Mrazek (2 years @3.8) + Toronto 2nd 2023 + Vegas 3rd 2023

I might be out to lunch on Brossoit's value but I expect Vegas might end up having to pay at least something to move him

Vegas sheds about a mill and Toronto 1.5 next year and all of the third year

I don't think getting a 2nd and a 3rd round pick is nearly enough incentive for Montreal to do that. The would be eating $1.4 million of Jake Allen's contract and paying nearly $4 million for Mrazek... So $5.5 million to have a below average back up goaltender for two years? And before they made the trade that had a good back up goalie for only $2.8 million?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad