Proposal: Offseason goalie carousel (VGK-MTL-TOR)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Figuring Vegas and Toronto will both have to dump some cap in the summer but will each still want to have a dependable backup. This could be an in season move if Allen comes back pre deadline

Vegas gets: Allen @50% (1.3475 expiring) + 2023 Toronto 7th
Toronto gets: Brossoit (2.325 expiring)
Montreal gets: Mrazek (2 years @3.8) + Toronto 2nd 2023 + Vegas 3rd 2023

I might be out to lunch on Brossoit's value but I expect Vegas might end up having to pay at least something to move him

Vegas sheds about a mill and Toronto 1.5 next year and all of the third year

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Really not sure if Toronto or Vegas does this. Spending picks for very little cap gain.
Could be wrong though.

Yeah, Vegas probably complicates it too much tbh. If Toronto was getting Allen they get a solid backup and 2.5 in space. They're gonna have to pay to move Mrazek somehow and will still need a capable #2

Reactions: Mrfenn92

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
Figuring Vegas and Toronto will both have to dump some cap in the summer but will each still want to have a dependable backup. This could be an in season move if Allen comes back pre deadline

I might be out to lunch on Brossoit's value but I expect Vegas might end up having to pay at least something to move him

montreal is not taking on Mrazek's contract , which is a year longer and a million more than Allen AND eating half of Allen's contract for two, insignificant low picks. Habs don't need any more picks and aren't making this trade. They have montembeault and Primeau, and maybe Hammond and maybe Price.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
does 1.5m really give Toronto enough extra cap space to sign a starter? (whether that's soup or someone else)

Expecting him to be looking at 4 or 5 years around 4.25 there. Not 100% sure how much projected space they have, most likely would have to dump Holl as well but they have the Kessel retention coming off as well as almost 3 million on depth forwards, but that might just make up for Rielly's pay bump I really am not sure

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
montreal is not taking on Mrazek's contract , which is a year longer and a million more than Allen AND eating half of Allen's contract for two, insignificant low picks. Habs don't need any more picks and aren't making this trade. They have montembeault and Primeau, and maybe Hammond and maybe Price.

Don't think they want to throw Primeau to the wolves even next year, and at this point counting on Price is a prayer at best. Unless the rumour around Montreal wanting to be aggressive in UFA is true (which I think would be really foolish at this time) cap space is gonna be pretty inconsequential for a couple years. Mrazek isn't awful, I don't know if it takes more than a 2nd to be rid of him but maybe I'm wrong

Just a Fan

Feb 22, 2022
If you stare at the proposal with blinders on, sure. 2nd rounder is literally just to dump Mrazek, he's a negative asset right now
The Leafs heavily downgrade in goal while adding 2 picks just for 1.5 mil in cap savings? Again….no blinders and still no thanks.

Ledge And Dairy

Expecting him to be looking at 4 or 5 years around 4.25 there. Not 100% sure how much projected space they have, most likely would have to dump Holl as well but they have the Kessel retention coming off as well as almost 3 million on depth forwards, but that might just make up for Rielly's pay bump I really am not sure
If their answer is Campbell it will likely cost at least 5M. If they do not believe Campbell is the answer it will still cost probably 5M+ on the market for a legitimate starter.

If they dump Holl they still have a hole at 2RD that needs to be filled somehow

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
Don't think they want to throw Primeau to the wolves even next year, and at this point counting on Price is a prayer at best. Unless the rumour around Montreal wanting to be aggressive in UFA is true (which I think would be really foolish at this time) cap space is gonna be pretty inconsequential for a couple years. Mrazek isn't awful, I don't know if it takes more than a 2nd to be rid of him but maybe I'm wrong
regardless of Price, habs will retool for another year. Mrazek is not better than Allen who is cheaper and only has another year on his deal. Montembeault is young and playing well - as well as hammond who could be a capable backup. The habs already have 12 picks this year and 8 next. They will have even more after trade deadline. I can't imagine taking on a low 2nd and 3rd to add money and term to a position they are ok in, when they want to address other positions. Further, if they go after a cornerstone goalie, it won't be mrazek

Reactions: CDN24

Just a Fan

Feb 22, 2022
If their answer is Campbell it will likely cost at least 5M. If they do not believe Campbell is the answer it will still cost probably 5M+ on the market for a legitimate starter.

Campbell’s play the last 3 months hasn’t warranted 5 million…nor will it create a bidding war.

Ledge And Dairy

Campbell’s play the last 3 months hasn’t warranted 5 million…nor will it create a bidding war.
Hence my second point. You either see him as a 5M starting goalie or you go to the market and find a different one. You can't be like "well we see you as the future but we don't think you are very good, so here's a lowball offer." That's a contradiction

I'm fairly certain a couple teams like Edmonton of Chicago would be willing to give him a shot

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009

Not sure why Vegas is involved in this deal.

Seems to me that if the Habs were interested in taking on Mrazek (and I can see why they wouldn't be), then the simplest deal would be Mrazek+ for Allen

Just a Fan

Feb 22, 2022
Hence my second point. You either see him as a 5M starting goalie or you go to the market and find a different one. You can't be like "well we see you as the future but we don't think you are very good, so here's a lowball offer." That's a contradiction

I'm fairly certain a couple teams like Edmonton of Chicago would be willing to give him a shot
Agreed, problem is our window is now, so who’s trading us a legit starter?

Ledge And Dairy

Agreed, problem is our window is now, so who’s trading us a legit starter?
Well I personally would 100% wait until the TDL as I still think Campbell is legitimate, just in a really bad slump.

As for options, Holtby may be available, Fleury will be as well. You can take a chance with Korpisalo or try and get Dreidger. It's a really awkward position overall though. IMO address the defense issue first.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife

I think the majority of Leafs fans are about as ready to have a sentient scarecrow in that spot as they are Holl, I think they'd be just as comfortable going with Liljegren and a mystery box. I'm not sure Campbell will get that much and I don't think he wants to leave Toronto, time will tell. I'm betting 5 years somewhere from 4-4.5 for him

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
regardless of Price, habs will retool for another year. Mrazek is not better than Allen who is cheaper and only has another year on his deal. Montembeault is young and playing well - as well as hammond who could be a capable backup. The habs already have 12 picks this year and 8 next. They will have even more after trade deadline. I can't imagine taking on a low 2nd and 3rd to add money and term to a position they are ok in, when they want to address other positions. Further, if they go after a cornerstone goalie, it won't be mrazek

Why are we talking about cornerstones? If anything placeholder is a more fitting word. I personally am of the mind that trying to accelerate the rebuild is not a good idea and would rather weaponize the cap space. Potentially moving the picks to later years could make more sense, Montreal has a few deals for players that I like (namely Gallagher and Armia) that they might end up having to dump for cap space down the road if the rebuild/retool goes well over the next 2 years. I'd be shocked if they're competitive over the term of Mrazek's deal to be honest, and maybe he plays well enough next year to flip again

Reactions: Stubu

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
Deal does not make sense for Mtl. Allen vs Mzarek is a lateral move at best for them. I prefer Allen. To do this they take on an extra year of Mzarek and eat 1/2 of Allen cap hit for a 2nd and a 3rd. They probably can get at least a 2nd for Allen straight up either in the summer or at next years deadline if they want to move him. Not worth it from their side. You might also be able to package Allen with another expiring contract at next year's deadline to get a 1st. You won't be able to do that with Mzarek even retaining because of extra year and the contract is too high.

Ledge And Dairy

I think the majority of Leafs fans are about as ready to have a sentient scarecrow in that spot as they are Holl, I think they'd be just as comfortable going with Liljegren and a mystery box. I'm not sure Campbell will get that much and I don't think he wants to leave Toronto, time will tell. I'm betting 5 years somewhere from 4-4.5 for him
I would take that bet, I doubt it's less than 5x5.

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004

vegas gets a backup for a 3rd, okay
the Leafs downgrade in net, and for that privilege pay a 2nd and a 7th
dont think thats happening

HabsQC

Sep 27, 2008
Gatineau, Quebec
Yeah not gonna help the Leafs out by taking Mrazek like that. If you want to get rid of him, it's gonna be the Marleau treatment. Start with a 1st

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad